• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: US officials say deadly Yemen operation approved without sufficient intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

In America for the past ~25 years it's been a tradition to blame the every military failure on the older administration, or blame it on the new one and ignore when the older administration did the exact same things, depending on your political views.

Ah, "both sides are the same" can be used anywhere by the ignorant

My girlfriend just gave me her thought on it. Which consist of "This is not Trump fault. It is Al-Qeada fault for using civilians as shield. It's unfortunate what happened to innocent civilians but there will always be casualty, but this is for the greater good because they would have eventually harm someone else later down the line." (I'm condensing her words)

I told her that there is a line between acceptable casualty and gross negligence for everything. This is not an acceptable casualty number. Not even close.

So yep, my girlfriend just pardon Trump and shifted the entire blame on Al-Qeada.

There aren't that many female terrorists. I highly doubt she would have joined AQ down the road. Now if her family was innocent and killed by accident while she survived? The odds of that happening go up dramatically. There's no such thing as acceptable civilian casualties.

Maybe arrest Obama?

:/ I'm wondering how long they'll be blaming him for everything

I feel now the arrest Hillary trump todo item has been shuffled down his list because it requires "subversion of the rule of law" to be done first.

He is making it more and more clear he is gonna hit on every campaign promise.'of which lock her up was one of the biggest.

CazTGG

VNHIV1M.jpg

I'm not going to do a "where were you..." thing, but C'MON. If you're horrified by this, then understand that it's BIPARTISAN. If you don't want your government tag-teaming Yemen with a bunch of fucking zealot Saudis jackals, we need to build independent organizations for resistance. You cannot solve this problem by voting.

I'm not going to do a "where were you..." thing, but C'MON. If you're horrified by this, then understand that it's BIPARTISAN. If you don't want your government tag-teaming Yemen with a bunch of fucking zealot Saudis jackals, we need to build independent organizations for resistance. You cannot solve this problem by voting.

What I am horrified by is the pentagon has thrown their commander in chief under the bus.
That's the only way these embarrassing details have been widely spread..
He screwed up so badly nobody else is being a fall guy for it.
That's the horror, that this idiot is able to make military decisions and have them carried out over the better instincts of smarter people.
Yes that's how things are setup doesn't make it any better to know if this lunatic says jump off a cliff them nobody can talk him out of it.

What I am horrified by is the pentagon has thrown their commander in chief under the bus.
That's the only way these embarrassing details have been widely spread..
He screwed up so badly nobody else is being a fall guy for it.
That's the horror, that this idiot is able to make military decisions and have them carried out over the better instincts of smarter people.
Yes that's how things are setup doesn't make it any better to know if this lunatic says jump off a cliff them nobody can talk him out of it.

Saudi kings have been getting their rocks off in Yemen, massacring Houthis with US support for almost 2 years. If you think it's scary that the pentagon can't say no to Trump, what about Obama not being able to say no to these public-beheading fucks?

This is a national disgrace that long pre-dates Trump. I'm not saying you can't criticize it now if you didn't criticize it under Obama, but understand the magnitude of the problem. Trump didn't create it, he's just making it worse.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Saudi kings have been getting their rocks off in Yemen, massacring Houthis with US support for almost 2 years. If you think it's scary that the pentagon can't say no to Trump, what about Obama not being able to say no to these public-beheading fucks?

This is a national disgrace that long pre-dates Trump. I'm not saying you can't criticize it now if you didn't criticize it under Obama, but understand the magnitude of the problem. Trump didn't create it, he's just making it worse.
No one is arguing the situation in Yemen. This thread is about this specific raid which leaks say was carried out with insufficient intel and rushed into by Trump after Obama had refused to authorize for the same reason. The results speak for themselves.

No one is arguing the situation in Yemen. This thread is about this specific raid which leaks say was carried out with insufficient intel and rushed into by Trump after Obama had refused to carry it out for the same reason. The results speak for themselves.

Sorry if this is a strawman, but if you think the operations in Yemen are generally being carried out with "sufficient intel", I don't know what to tell you. This war is a fucking shit show.

Aselith

lmao these bastards are blaming Obama for their incompetence. You sent the raid in, it's your responsibility. Benjamin Ghazi told me.

dohdough

If Obama had held off to wait for intel, that's not a good look. Not that anyone expected much else I guess. What a dumbass.

I wonder what his military advisors think of him.

Nicely completing the unlawful destruction of that family started under Obama! Yay democracy bombs.

1474_4.jpg

Keasar

Probably one of those days at the White House.
"Obama shot Bin Laden didn't he?"
"Uhm, sir, not technically n~"
"I also wanna shoot a Bin Laden, a big Bin Laden, huge one."
"Sir, Bin Laden is dead."
"Then find me a better Bin Laden! Someone who isn't a looser okay?! Who doesn't die like a looser! And then shoot him. And then put my name on him so people know I shot him."

Avixph

"Then find me a better Bin Laden! Someone who isn't a looser okay?! Who doesn't die like a looser! And then shoot him. And then put my name on him so people know I shot him."
Wouldn't that be Trump himself?

And they killed a little girl.

Obama Killed a 16-Year-Old American in Yemen. Trump Just Killed His 8-Year-Old Sister.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30...emen-trump-just-killed-his-8-year-old-sister/

IN 2010, PRESIDENT Obama directed the CIA to assassinate an American citizen in Yemen, Anwar al-Awlaki, despite the fact that he had never been charged with (let alone convicted of) any crime, and the agency successfully carried out that order a year later with a September 2011 drone strike....

Two weeks after the killing of Awlaki, a separate CIA drone strike in Yemen killed his 16-year-old American-born son, Abdulrahman, along with the boy's 17-year-old cousin and several other innocent Yemenis. The U.S. eventually claimed that the boy was not their target but merely ”collateral damage." Abdulrahman's grief-stricken grandfather, Nasser al-Awlaki, urged the Washington Post ”to visit a Facebook memorial page for Abdulrahman," which explained: ”Look at his pictures, his friends, and his hobbies. His Facebook page shows a typical kid."

In a hideous symbol of the bipartisan continuity of U.S. barbarism, Nasser al-Awlaki just lost another one of his young grandchildren to U.S. violence. On Sunday, the Navy's SEAL Team 6, using armed Reaper drones for cover, carried out a commando raid on what it said was a compound harboring officials of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. A statement issued by President Trump lamented the death of an American service member and several others who were wounded, but made no mention of any civilian deaths. U.S. military officials initially denied any civilian deaths, and (therefore) the CNN report on the raid said nothing about any civilians being killed.

But reports from Yemen quickly surfaced that 30 people were killed, including 10 women and children. Among the dead: the 8-year-old granddaughter of Nasser al-Awlaki, Nawar, who was also the daughter of Anwar Awlaki.

As noted by my colleague Jeremy Scahill — who extensively interviewed the grandparents in Yemen for his book and film on Obama's ”Dirty Wars" — the girl ”was shot in the neck and killed," bleeding to death over the course of two hours. ”Why kill children?" the grandfather asked. ”This is the new (U.S.) administration — it's very sad, a big crime."

C3XgaLRWEAAP6J4.jpg
abdulrahman-1485778045-216x300.png

hawk2025

Well, that would have been a far easier fight for you if there weren't 20 other issues popping up to fight right now that COULD have been avoided by voting.

Guess who decided that voting against the other 20 in November didn't matter?

Edit: you know what? I shouldn't. There is a bipartisan issue on killing civilians, and I'm being a dick.
You are not going to change your mind on voting, and picking this fight again over dead kids is wrong.

Except this isn't an active war situation. It was a mission that had been put on the back burner by Obama's administration until better intelligence could be acquired, but Trump decided to go ahead anyway...
I mean, I guess this is just a plain counterterrorism op, sure. But it did happen contextually within Yemen where there is an active war situation and terrorism crisis that we have been engaged in since Obama and Bush's administrations respectively.
Blaming Obama for this failed op is ridiculous. Fuck Trump for that.

That said, the eight year old in this story? Her brother was killed by Obama. Obama wasn't some goddamn saint on this issue people.
And of course, her father as well. Both citizens.
My girlfriend just gave me her thought on it. Which consist of "This is not Trump fault. It is Al-Qeada fault for using civilians as shield. It's unfortunate what happened to innocent civilians but there will always be casualty, but this is for the greater good because they would have eventually harm someone else later down the line." (I'm condensing her words)

I told her that there is a line between acceptable casualty and gross negligence for everything. This is not an acceptable casualty number. Not even close.

So yep, my girlfriend just pardon Trump and shifted the entire blame on Al-Qeada.
Once you start using "the greater good" as an excuse for civilian deaths, you can start doing a lot of nasty things.

Well, that would have been a far easier fight for you if there weren't 20 other issues popping up to fight right now that COULD have been avoided by voting.

Guess who decided that voting against the other 20 in November didn't matter?

Edit: you know what? I shouldn't. There is a bipartisan issue on killing civilians, and I'm being a dick.
You are not going to change your mind on voting, and picking this fight again over dead kids is wrong.

I'm fine with this kind of argument, fwiw.

And I'm not saying people *shouldn't* vote. I'm saying you can't get at this issue by voting. Just like you can't vote against the interests of Goldman Sachs. Either way, they're going to end up in the cabinet.

Vote for the lesser evil if you want, vote for a 3rd party that matches your politics if you want, don't vote if you want.

Regardless, we need to do *more* than voting. We need to be engaged politically all the time. We need to build new organizations of resistance and empower existing ones. Even if you're a die-hard Democratic voter, you can't limit your civic activity to once every 2 years and expect it to change anything.

Hillary has a 30+ political career and they find one incident to criticize which is debatable. Trump has had a 2 week political career and here we are.

Hillary has a 30+ political career and they find one incident to criticize which is debatable. Trump has had a 2 week political career and here we are.

Clinton was directly involved in giving the Saudis the arms and assistance to carry out this war with the Houthis, and took between 10 and 25 M from the Kingdom for her own foundation.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/hillary-clinton-foundation-state-arms-deals

A person who thinks there aren't legitimate criticisms of Hillary Clinton isn't a serious political observer. They're a cultist.

Clinton was directly involved in giving the Saudis the arms and assistance to carry out this war with the Houthis, and took between 10 and 25 M from the Kingdom for her own foundation.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/hillary-clinton-foundation-state-arms-deals

A person who thinks there aren't legitimate criticisms of Hillary Clinton isn't a serious political observer. They're a cultist.

I was referring more specifically to her 'Benghazi scandal' and her judgement in that case compared to what we are seeing from Trump. It was foolish to think that Trump would have made a better decision in that circumstance, and he's proving it now...but please don't let me stop you from attacking that strawman. Both sides and all that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was referring more specifically to her 'Benghazi scandal' and her judgement in that case compared to what we are seeing from Trump. It was foolish to think that Trump would have made a better decision in that circumstance, and he's proving it now...but please don't let me stop you from attacking that strawman. Both sides and all that.
It's literally all he does in every thread.

"But Hillary..."

The worst type of political activist.

It shouldn't be a novel concept that we have an out of control military industrial complex. I'm hopeful that Trump jolting the EU into action will make it poltically easier for us down the road to downsize our military.

LOL

"Hillary has a 30+ political career and they find one incident to criticize"

Trump (who i hate, if that's not clear) has made many legitimate criticisms of Clinton throughout the campaign. He criticized her support for the Iraq war (regardless of his own tortured position):

It all started with her bad judgment in supporting the war in Iraq in the first place.

He criticized her corrupt relationship with Wall St (again regardless of his own appointments of Goldman Sachs execs):

Then, when she left, she made $21.6 million giving speeches to Wall Street banks and other special interests – in less than 2 years – secret speeches that she does not want to reveal to the public.

And he criticized the influence Clinton Foundation donors had on the state dept:
https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000004612187/trump-criticizes-clinton-foundation.html

Trump is a fucking clown, he's a hypocrite, he's a liar, etc. But these are all legitimate criticisms. If you just want to ignore all of them, you're never going to understand why a reality television star and white nationalist is now the president of the United States.

It doesn't matter that Trump is doing the same shit because his supporters are not going to hold him accountable.
Just like Obama+Clinton liberals did not hold their idols accountable.

It shouldn't be a novel concept that we have an out of control military industrial complex. I'm hopeful that Trump jolting the EU into action will make it poltically easier for us down the road to downsize our military.

I think the bunker mentality driving Trump and his close advisors is highly likely to do the opposite. Look at North Korea's military spending relative to GDP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
And her brother. And her father. And the grandfather left behind wondering why the U.S. felt the need to wipe out two generations of his family.

I feel bad for the son and daughter and the grandfather that has to deal with this, but Anwar al-Awlaki was a grade a fucko.

But then again you were the person okay with rioters burning a limo with a man inside.

ZOONAMI

Ah no the days of blaming Obama are over.

This was his call no one else.

Lol fucking spicer said trump made the call on it.

We are living in a world where they just say whatever the fuck they want that works in their favor at any given time.

Alternative facts as we see fit. Shut it media.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol fucking spicer said trump made the call on it.

We are living in a world where they just say whatever the fuck they want that works in their favor at any given time.

Alternative facts as we see fit. Shut it media.

I mean, that is exactly what Trump did throughout the entirety of his campaign. Nothing seems to stick, though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Damn. So NYT got it wrong with:

Sounds like NYT describing Obama as not clearing it, and defering it. It's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

At the end of the day, a plan was presented to Obama, Obama didn't enact it, but Trump did.

I feel bad for the son and daughter and the grandfather that has to deal with this, but Anwar al-Awlaki was a grade a fucko.

But then again you were the person okay with rioters burning a limo with a man inside.
I find whether Anwar al-Awlaki was or was not a "grade a fucko" irrelevant in the face of the fact that he was most certainly an American citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom