• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Themes and Qatsi Similarities

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
There's a trilogy of "Qatsi" (meaning way of life) films that are the collaboration of Director Godfrey Reggio and Composer Philip Glass: Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance, Powaqqatsi - Life in Transformation, and Naqoyqatsi - Life as War. The type of movie these are is basically a kind of video collage - set to an accompanying musical score - showing various behaviors in nature, society, and technology which tries to highlight intrinsic patterns.

The concept for the way these segments play out is similar to that of the levels in the videogame Rez. For each segment, the behavior and music start out simple. As it progresses, a greater scale for the behavior is revealed, and more layers of complexity and intensity are added to both the footage and music. The way Rez presents each of its levels is just like this, with the theme growing more vivid in graphical and musical display as it advances.

One of the most prevalent themes of the films is the evolutionary similarity among and within development in nature, life, society, behavior, and technology. Rez's journey through evolution and the birth of new life takes place in the virtual world of a computer network and highlights some of that similarity.

In a lot of ways, Rez is like a videogame incarnation of the Qatsi films.

Excellent post Lazy8s. I couldn't agree more. I too noticed the parallels, especially with the last level which had an actual narrative of sorts. This is why Rez transcends from being a simple game to an interactive artistic statement.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
OMG.. amazing to think Lazy8's posted this!

Top Bottom