• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGG Studio teases the next Like a Dragon game: "We can’t tell you what kind of game it is, but I will tell you, you’ll be surprised."

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Like-a-Dragon_-Infinite-Wealth_20240121002411-1024x576.jpg

During the Essence of Fandom event at Anime Expo, the company teased what they are working on next.

According to several fans in attendance, the studio said “We can’t tell you what kind of game it is, but I will tell you, you’ll be surprised.”

Fans later clarified that the team seemed to be referring to the next Like A Dragon title, rather than another franchise.

The latest entry in the Like A Dragon franchise, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, was released earlier this year to widespread acclaim.

While previously largely action games, when the series transitioned from the Yakuza name in the West to the Like A Dragon name, the games become more akin to turn-based RPGs.

Skifi28

Not much information here other than there is a new game coming which wasn't hard to image. I'd me more interested to know about their "side" projects. Is kiwami 3 coming? What about a new judgment?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Life sim? Tactical RPG?

Listen...I'm ok with both lol

I'm still surprised they didn't take advantage of the whole social life stuff in Persona series and just make some drama type game where thats all it is. Massively missed opportunity.

So if it is a Life Sim, good on SEGA for seeing the opportunity. They can reuse the worlds, functions like the baby stuff in Yakuza 6, add in a real day and night cycle.

NanaMiku

I'm kinda worried about the story. The first Ichiban game already has bigger story scale, involving all of Tojo and Omi. And then Infinite Wealth brings the story to Hawaii and the story is so big that it loses focus on the characters.

IAmRei

Make it turn based strategy(?) Or RTWP(?) Or kart games... You know their kart games are surprisingly hillarious...

I really wish the studio would leave the IP alone for a couple of years and make something new or a sequel to Binary Domain
Good thing for you the creator of Yakuza left a few years back, taking all the key founding members to start a new studio and make something new but similar. Should be revealed anytime now.

Chukhopops

I bet it involves cards somehow. Sega made Phantasy Star a card battler for one game. Why not?
It would be the dream to have a card system like Midnight Suns / Gloomhaven on top of the turn-based JRPG. Would be a logical step from the DQ-style gameplay.

But most likely they will take the main cast and transfer it into a historical setting (feudal Japan, Manchuria campaign, whatever) like they’ve done before.

Top Bottom