• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there's a rewind button for the creators of this simulation we're in. Or maybe they clicked the disaster button on it instead

I'm just baffled at this point, how did the US end up with Trump and his cronies in government positions that have the ability to ruin either the entire country or the entire world.

What the fuck are you guys doing over there and why is this guy still even considered as president? It's literally just him assigning positions to his rich friends and (pretty much) nothing is being done to stop it.

I'm just baffled at this point, how did the US end up with Trump and his cronies in government positions that have the ability to ruin either the entire country or the entire world.

What the fuck are you guys doing over there and why is this guy still even considered as president? It's literally just him assigning positions to his rich friends and (pretty much) nothing is being done to stop it.

Obama was a secret Muslim and Hillary and democrats in general are the devil and God will work through Donald Trump do save this country.

The Trump part is the shit a lot of the evangelical right believe because they've been told it by the crooks on televangelist garbage networks like Daystar, TBN, ect. Well, they believe Obama is the devil and a secret Muslim too and we all know about Hillary.

jerry113

Banned

we're about to fuck up our own and everyone else's shit fam

dabig2

Preceded by two physicists... :'(

Preceded by educated liberal elites whose past research was probably funded by SOROS you mean. Don't worry, Perry is going to ride into Washington and cleanse us of those types and make America great again.

It doesn't even matter who you vote for next time as long as Trump and his cabinet has to leave. If he loses then he'll be too old to bother running for presidency one last time. (Despite having good health. The very best, in fact)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is one of the things that worry me the most about Trump's presidency: he has surrounded himself by inexperienced yes men, worthless sycophants and a small amount of true believers. Flynn is basically the only high ranking official with experience *and* a clear purpose. It is going to be up to the government's minions to reduce the damage made by their superiors and hopefully steer the ship when they are not looking.

With that said, I'm shocked by the fact that Rick Perry, somebody who has been in politics since 1985, doesn't even know about the primary function of the DOE. I'm not even American and I know about nukes being a huge part of it just because of my second-hand interest in politics due to my job (which has fuck all to do with nuclear weapons).

America's model of governance is going to replicate that of Latin American and Middle East authoritarian regimes. Robber barons, kin and rich idiots put in high ranking positions out of loyalty and sectarianism. This is nuts.

Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something
That's hardly the point. You'd expect someone who is either supposedly qualified for or has accepted a job to actually know what they'd be doing.

I don't know if you're trying to defend this but I'd hope not because it's a pretty dumb defense.

UberTag

we're about to fuck up our own and everyone else's shit fam
At least you'll be able to look back on November 8th, 2016 in a few decades and reflect...

THAT was the day everything changed for the worse.
THAT was the day you could have made a difference and didn't.
THAT was the day your country failed you.
THAT was the day "American" became a dirty word full of shame across the globe.

Most people don't get an actual date like that but you guys did.

Unless, of course, the nameless, thankless Republican minions somehow right the ship under the watch of Trump and his rich, clueless friends who bought everything with their gifted, family money except an education.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This is one of the things that worry me the most about Trump's presidency: he has surrounded himself by inexperienced yes men, worthless sycophants and a small amount of true believers. Flynn is basically the only high ranking official with experience *and* a clear purpose. It is going to be up to the government's minions to reduce the damage made by their superiors and hopefully steer the ship when they are not looking.

With that said, I'm shocked by the fact that Rick Perry, somebody who has been in politics since 1985, doesn't even know about the primary function of the DOE. I'm not even American and I know about nukes being a huge part of it just because of my second-hand interest in politics due to my job (which has fuck all to do with nuclear weapons).

America's model of governance is going to replicate that of Latin American and Middle East authoritarian regimes. Robber barons, kin and rich idiots put in high ranking positions out of loyalty and sectarianism. This is nuts.
This.
America needs to stop people like this from entering positions of governance. Everyone can clearly see what is going on. Stop looking for ironclad proof when the crime is done, because the crime is already being committed in front of everyone.

Hermii

Trump's first order of business will be to rename all of the departments so he doesn't get confused by their misleading names anymore.

DoE to become the Department of Big Bombs.

Honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea. I had no idea the department of energy were responsible for nukes.

DavidDesu

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't even know. Our country is now run entirely by people with shit for brains.

It truly is. Feels like there's maybe one or two experienced politicians involved and the rest are just fucking racist idiots who happen to be rich. Seriously, THESE are the people running departments. They are at the top. There's not really anyone to advise them as all their advisors will equally have been plucked from the fucking imbecile right wing bubble. Is the US going to simply stop working after a couple of months of these idiots running it into the ground?!

Seems like it. I wonder how quick the backlash is going to be, although I fear that a backlash will rely upon good journalism actually holding them to account and highlighting just how inept they are as an administration, but I fear most of the fuck ups will somehow manage to get blamed on others, minorities and the like.

Honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea. I had no idea the department of energy were responsible for nukes.
I had a friend who was ex military that contracted for them for a while. Those guys have serious hardware and personnel to deal with the nuclear side of things. The security is heavily armed, the procedures are strict, and they don't allow for any kind of shenanigans. Not even the pizza guy gets on base without prior notice.

It truly is. Feels like there's maybe one or two experienced politicians involved and the rest are just fucking racist idiots who happen to be rich. Seriously, THESE are the people running departments. They are at the top. There's not really anyone to advise them as all their advisors will equally have been plucked from the fucking imbecile right wing bubble. Is the US going to simply stop working after a couple of months of these idiots running it into the ground?!

Seems like it. I wonder how quick the backlash is going to be, although I fear that a backlash will rely upon good journalism actually holding them to account and highlighting just how inept they are as an administration, but I fear most of the fuck ups will somehow manage to get blamed on others, minorities and the like.

The people who put them into power have been conditioned to believe the media is biased, so it doesn't really matter how good the journalism is, these people who would normally provide the backlash will cry "fake news" and go back to reading Facebook sources for their 'news'.

mclem

This is shaping up to be the best season of Earth ever.

earthtvshow.jpg

Jumped the shark, really. No-one believes these ludicrous storylines any more.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can America go back to the swamp? The swamp was nice, the swamp had people that didn't scare the shit out of me.

spwolf

Obama was a secret Muslim and Hillary and democrats in general are the devil and God will work through Donald Trump do save this country.

The Trump part is the shit a lot of the evangelical right believe because they've been told it by the crooks on televangelist garbage networks like Daystar, TBN, ect. Well, they believe Obama is the devil and a secret Muslim too and we all know about Hillary.

setting my personal political preferences aside, i see little difference between horrible, outrageous and hilarious accusations vs Obama and Clinton and outrage about every time Trump lifts a finger.

I know nothing of politics of Rick Perry (and i would likely find them ridiculous), and I would certainly never vote Trump but at the same time, if Rick Perry could have run Texas for 15 years, is on board of company that owns largest portfolio of energy assess in the USA, then he can run DOE.

DOE has over 100,000 people working for it. It is huge organization. Politics aside and my own personal preferences aside, it is managment position. Generally speaking you need someone who managed 100,000 people and thousand projects before, not an university professor that managed department.

Of course it would be better if that "manager" was someone who pushes policies closer to my heart, but country did not vote that way.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is it going to be considered tasteless in a few years/months/...weeks(?) to say "we told you so" in response to the inevitable disaster(s)?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is it going to be considered tasteless in a few years/months/...weeks(?) to say "we told you so" in response to the inevitable disaster(s)?
Does it matter? Being tasteless is much preferable to being someone that let the world go to shit, so if someone calls you tasteless they likely don't have a leg to stand on.

ana

Eric schlosser's command and control book and recently released documentary based on it offers quite interesting picture on the nukes and their history in the US..

Khoryos

So the DoE heads under Obama were eminently qualified, fine.
How does Perry stack up against the Bush-era holders of the position?

So the DoE heads under Obama were eminently qualified, fine.
How does Perry stack up against the Bush-era holders of the position?

Clinton had two lawyers run the DOE during his terms, Bush II had a lawyer run it for his first term, then a chemical engineer in the second.

For Mr. Moniz [current dept of energy head], the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

oh my god this is the funniest paragraph in the world if it wasnt so terrifying

It is baffling from the outside (and from the inside) to a large degree, but there's actually a logic to it for those who have been following politics in America. It is a combination of multiple things: an angry and uneducated rural electorate who has been spoonfed a steady supply of hatred and nonsense, an aggressive right-wing party who made it a mission to win at all costs, a twenty-odd year long smear campaign against Hillary Clinton, a media that is either right-leaning or obsessed with presenting both sides that they allowed the election to become a full out circus, and just good old fashioned racism for a racist country deeply in denial about its own racism.

Kill3r7

Clinton had two lawyers run the DOE during his terms, Bush II had a lawyer run it for his first term, then a chemical engineer in the second.

Ultimately they are figureheads, powerful figureheads who can fuck shit up with terrible decisions, but the day to day heavy lifting is done by the lifers. As long as they take their advice we should be okay.

I fully thought the department of energy was about power. Had no idea it involved this. Difference is though if someone told me that I was being considered to run the program I'd look into what that entails before accepting.

Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something

Well I work at the Department of Energy; so yes I did know this, and this is god damn terrifying. Moral here is so bad. I can't even mention some things that are being discussed. We are going from brilliant nuclear physicist Dr. Moniz to this clown. This country is done.

Well I work at the Department of Energy; so yes I did know this, and this is god damn terrifying. Moral here is so bad. I can't even mention some things that are being discussed. We are going from brilliant nuclear physicist Dr. Moniz to this clown. This country is done.
Maybe Perry's soaring ignorance means he lets a skilled deputy take care of the day to day affairs.

gaugebozo

setting my personal political preferences aside, i see little difference between horrible, outrageous and hilarious accusations vs Obama and Clinton and outrage about every time Trump lifts a finger.

I know nothing of politics of Rick Perry (and i would likely find them ridiculous), and I would certainly never vote Trump but at the same time, if Rick Perry could have run Texas for 15 years, is on board of company that owns largest portfolio of energy assess in the USA, then he can run DOE.

DOE has over 100,000 people working for it. It is huge organization. Politics aside and my own personal preferences aside, it is managment position. Generally speaking you need someone who managed 100,000 people and thousand projects before, not an university professor that managed department.

Of course it would be better if that "manager" was someone who pushes policies closer to my heart, but country did not vote that way.
Managers make decisions like, "Should we use this solution or this solution to handle problem X." The Secretary of the DOE has to make funding decisions for various paths of research. Do you think Rick Perry is going to do well with "Invest in Thorium reactors or laser fusion for energy production?"
He's not.

Came to mention Sector 7G and its chief safety officer and was not disappointed

I can sort of understand the confusion if he looked no further than the job title, but surely SURELY its expected you do more than that when taking a role in a competent government right?

Straight from someone at the frontlines. Damn.

Maybe Perry's soaring ignorance means he lets a skilled deputy take care of the day to day affairs.

A lot of positions in the department are 'politicalls' meaning they change with every new administration and are politically appointed; so I have no faith that Trump's team will appoint any qualified people. Of course, you also have life time Feds that are around to help curtail this buffoonery, but I am pessimistic. Hell, our current Deputy Secretary is Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall; a Rhodes Scholar. Ideally the DOE attracts brilliant minds that care more about the mission than making money in the private sector. Now though......I don't know what we are becoming.

A lot of positions in the department are 'politicalls' meaning they change with every new administration and are politically appointed; so I have no faith that Trump's team will appoint any qualified people. Of course, you also have life time Feds that are around to help curtail this buffoonery, but I am pessimistic. Hell, our current Deputy Secretary is Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall; a Rhodes Scholar. Ideally the DOE attracts brilliant minds that care more about the mission than making money in the private sector. Now though......I don't know what we are becoming.

Man, this is some depressing stuff. Stay safe.

Did the trump transition team even know what the job entailed? News outlets were reporting Perry was chosen because of his expertise with the energy industries in Texas while serving as governor.

Maxim726X

Yep. I have a patient that works in the DoE and he's in disbelief. Apparently, a lot of his co-workers who voted for Trump didn't think he'd actually put someone like Perry in charge... Now they're all shitting their pants.

He is expecting the worst. Morale is very low, as you say.

Thanks. Let's not forget that Trumps team tried to identify all the people at the DOE that worked on climate change for........reasons. Thankfully we did not give them this information. Especially frightening since I work in green energy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rs-who-remain-worried/?utm_term=.b1894f7075fd

Yeah, I remember that. I'm also glad that information wasn't given as well. You see any hope at all going forward, or do you basically see this as the end of the DOE as you know it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom