• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if Rick just walks into his new office and tells his secretary to let everyone know that they're laid off and the entire department is being closed.

He accomplishes his campaign mission from 4 years ago.

ezrarh

What if Rick just walks into his new office and tells his secretary to let everyone know that they're laid off and the entire department is being closed.

We'll just set up a contract for Russia to manage our nuclear arsenal.

D i Z

tumblr_mucku4z6va1s4p4l5o1_500.gif

While browsing Wikipedia for information about part secretaries of energy, I came across the following funny for Bush Jr's pick
In February 2007, Bodman testified before the United States House Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces about security problems at Los Alamos National Laboratory. He stated that "The heart of the problem is a cultural issue at Los Alamos." He asserted that the impediment to improved security was "Arrogance. Arrogance of the chemists and physicists and engineers who work at Los Alamos and think they’re above it all."[2]

Are we at the stage where the powers that be appointed him to that exact position as a joke?

It's kind of incredible that after all the ridicule he received that's EXACTLY where he ended up in the end.
Republicans in office love nothing more than to prove that the government doesn't work. That it cannot work.

And amid that dysfunction the private enterprises that animate their roughly human shaped husks are offered as the solution.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something
Yes, plenty of people do. It's part of the reason he was chastised for proposing to "just eliminate" the department in a republican primary debate (technically he forgot the departments name at the time) He's had over 5 years since then to learn just one thing about it besides it's name.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I FUCKING KNEW HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE DEPARTMENT DID!!

I FUCKING KNEW IT!!

We are all going to die horribly...

Note: This department is the department that Perry wanted to close but forgot.

And then in the next five years, he learned literally nothing about that department that is the moment he's most remembered for.

It's actually more moronic that he wanted to close a department without actually knowing what it did. Rick Perry, former governor of the second largest state in the union, couldn't even fucking bother to google the department of energy and assumed it was some pseudo EPA just by the name.

akira28

Is like Amerikan Democracy is lead weight chained around our necks.

These bozos are our leaders because the bozo we elected...I guess we can just laugh and start collecting canned foods.

Mohonky

Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something

So did I to be honest.

But in saying that, if someone offered me a position I would probably look into it before accepting to be sure I was pretty confident I could do it or at least knew what it entailed.

Mind you,even Trump seems abit shocked by the idea of whats involved in running a country, Im not sure what he thought it involved, but he certainly hasnt really thought much of this through or atleast understands what he got himself into, which seems to apply for quite a few of his picks too

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Many of the people who champion the "Government should be run like a business" idea don't seem qualified to run a goddamn lemonade stand.

So the best businesses are ones just crammed full of your pals and people they may have been roommates with at one time?

ruxtpin

Banned
So he's Creed from the Office?

"What is it with these people and all their questions?! 'What do I do?' Nuc... Nuflear? Nuc- something! I know I'm close!"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Next on the list, Trump shuts down the navy to focus on "protecting us here at home instead".

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
If nothing else, this election has completely destroyed my mistaken idea that Presidents don't actually have as much direct power as people assume. It turns out we've just gotten lucky and never elected a moron before.

WedgeX

Banned

Really glad that the civil service does not work that way.

Kenclops

Banned
Not quite sure why everyone's freaked out by this. He's scum, but he's not exactly the one who gets to fire the nuke. That duty belongs solely to the President.

Okay, I realize I'm not making things better. Sorry.

Chumly

I knew exactly what it was from ironically Rick perrys oops moment. If he isn't smart even to learn what the fucking department that he wanted to eliminate does in these 5 years then he is a dumbass

norinrad

When are decent Americans going to fight back?

These guys are people with questionable backgrounds and almost all of them seem to be up to no good. They are going to destroy the lives of millions of people for generations to come and will probably get away it.

ElRenoRaven

These guys are people with questionable backgrounds and almost all of them seem to be up to no good. They are going to destroy the lives of millions of people for generations to come and will probably get away it.

What can you do right now other then an actual physical rebellion which is not even realistically possible in this day and age? This would do nothing but result in massive violence and deaths out the ass. If you tried to do something that stupid you have a man with a military at his disposal. We're stuck with him for 4 years unless congress & the Senate impeach him and they're not going to do that unless he just does something they can't sweep under the rug. The most we can do is vote republicans out of offices which are up for re-election in 2 years time. This includes governors, senators, congressmen of both state and national levels. Sadly there are too many uneducated downright zealously brainwashed people who will never vote against the republican party for that to truly happen. But let's say we did. Then we could probably prevent him from doing a damn thing for another 2 years. We'd then have to repeat that process yet again to get him and more republicans out of office. And again lets say we did. There would already be at least 4 years of extensive damage done to this country due to 2 years of him running wild and 2 years of nothing getting done again to fix the problems created.

Oh and also all this would take people who are democrats to actually get off their asses, run for offices, and for others to get off their asses and actually vote. Voter turnout in this country is pathetic. Sadly this won't happen because people are fucking stupid.

Kenclops

Banned

2 years, at the voting booth, that's when we take back Congress. Lock him in. That's where it starts. That's where it ends. Anything else will result in bloodshed. He is the President of the United States. I don't like it either, but trust me, people up there are working hard to limit the potential damage Trump can cause.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Why isn't there some kind of protocol that prevents such key positions from being filled by unqualified people? Seriously, democracy is good, but why is the vetting process to land a job at a warehouse more harsher than fools being put into HIGHLY important positions to run our country? This pisses me off.

Trump likely had no idea DOE was mostly about nukes either

Is there even any doubt?

The truth of the matter is this entire effort has been a debacle, but the ignorance is entirely reflective of both the Trump base and half the country. This is the same party that romanticised Palin when she was unable to say which newspapers she read.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If nothing else, this election has completely destroyed my mistaken idea that Presidents don't actually have as much direct power as people assume. It turns out we've just gotten lucky and never elected a moron before.
Bush Jr. wasn't that long ago.

I'm not surprised. Actually more surprised that the government spends $20b a year on polishing its nuke collection.
are you really? if there was one thing i would assume is that weapons of war get a shit load of funding in almost every country. the UK has the trident nuclear submarine programme that is a point of contention across the country but keeps getting money shovelled at it by governments across the political spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom