• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

WillyFive

444497-rr3d.gif

March 25 EU | March 27 US | Only on Nintendo 3DS

444507-rr3d1.gif

Imagine driving around the beach, minding your own business. But then that urge kicks in, the one where you just have to
step to the metal, and give your audience a good time. After all, when was the last time you saw a good car chase on TV?

You hit the accelerator! You go past the speed limit, the environment is just a blur. You hit 120 miles per hour, and you
realize the police isn't chasing you. Not only that, you are racing other drivers, and they are trying to beat you! Is this real
life?

You come up to a turn, but you are going too fast! But you cannot lose the race, slowing down is for Forza. Your only option
is to drift. You let go of the gas, turn the opposite way, and punch the gas pedal as hard as you can!

As soon as you realize, your car is doing multiple 360 turns, passing the other drivers, and doing a perfect race across the
track. The leaves from the trees hit your face in full 3D, and you realize that this is the reality you want to be in.

Also, you may have died.

Ridge Racer 3D featuring over 150 locations and 40 music tracks, 15 of them brand new. It also comes with 4
person local multiplayer and various gameplay modes to enjoy.​

444508-rr3d2.gif

WARNING: 3D can only be viewed on the 3DS. The graphics as shown on these videos are incomplete
unless seen on the 3DS screen with 3D on.

444509-rr3d3.gif

444510-rr3d4.gif

Gravijah

"WARNING: 3D can only be viewed on the 3DS. The graphics as shown on these videos are incomplete
unless seen on the 3DS screen with 3D on."

ok nintendo

Gravijah said:
"WARNING: 3D can only be viewed on the 3DS. The graphics as shown on these videos are incomplete

ok nintendo

We live in a society where we have to put "do not stick hand under lawnmower while blades are spinning" stickers on lawnmowers.
=/

So hyped for this! I don't care about how long it takes to load, that it looks worse than the first PSP Ridge Racer, that it features muscle cars or any of that stuff. All I know is that I'm a huge fan of the series, this is the first new RR in a few years, it's coming out with a new system and its not called Unbounded. And that's good enough for me :)

speedpop said:
I hope someone who has Ridge Racer 2 on PSP will buy this and compare the two.

I'm on it. I'm not a pro, but I compare features, tracks, load times, etc.

I've been a Ridge Racer whore since the Japanese launch of the PSP, so of course I'm in day one.
Ridge Racer DS will go unmentioned, of course.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Unboundeds reveal has shocked me into needing to get this game. A disco ball remix would be hot shit though.

Izayoi

Banned
Dem legs.

Never played a Ridge Racer title before.

From what I've seen in videos, it doesn't really look like something that I would buy... I'm more a fan of "slower" racers, like PGR and Forza.

However, I did enjoy the Rush games on the N64 - is this similar?

Luigiv

Willy105 said:
Imagine driving around the beach, minding your own business. But then that urge kicks in, the one where you just have to
step to the medal, and give your audience a good time. After all, when was the last time you saw a good car chase on TV?
Typo in bold.
Should be metal.

Amir0x

Banned
Gravijah said:
or the superior version if you are ami

not really Scamco is too fucking lazy to even make the game run at 60fps out of 3D mode. I mean it'll still be superior mode but there's no reason to celebrate about it... it's fucking ugly in 2D mode too.

Game looks worse than a PSP launch title and they couldn't even accommodate that. Scamco *headshake*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't played a RR game since the first PSP one. I'm a little confused by all this 'nitro' stuff and '360s' and 'easy drift controls'. As long as I can drift it like the original PSone games I'll be happy.

Somebody tell me I'll be happy...

gkryhewy

Been sold on this since the Eurogamer review. Should be shipping today or tomorrow from Amazon, actually.

Airport loop!! What was the consensus from j-gaffers?

883e35c9.png

mrklaw said:
I haven't played a RR game since the first PSP one. I'm a little confused by all this 'nitro' stuff and '360s' and 'easy drift controls'. As long as I can drift it like the original PSone games I'll be happy.

Somebody tell me I'll be happy...

You'll be happy. The drifting nowadays in the series is easier to control than Ridge and Revolution, but once you're into the faster cars, you'll have all the drifting you can handle.

I've signed on. I was playing R4 last night in preperation. Hopefully I don't get too badly burned. Seems like RR3D was getting some of the best *hands on* impressions out of the launch titles and racing games are a genre that will tangibly benefit from 3D. Improved sense of speed and a better ability to guage distances should make the game more fun and more intuitive.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The "3D" in this game blows! And if I hear the word "slipstream" one more time I'll trash my 3DS. Or I could just not play this game again... ever!

Blueblur1

I was really surprised to see a 3DS OT just now. Awesome. :)

Anyway, I was considering this game but not so much anymore. I'll probably just get SSFIV and maybe Pilotwings.

john tv

Take this with a grain of salt as I am a big old-school Ridge Racer fan, but...for me, this game is the shit. Graphics are admittedly disappointing at first glance but when you're playing the actual game you don't notice it at all. Everything is fast and smooth, music is great, controls are great, etc. I went in with low expectations, but I'm really enjoying it. This isn't a US-developed turd like the original DS Ridge Racer (least I don't think it's US-developed anyway), this feels way more like the PSP games.

Currently working my way through the Advanced Grand Prix. 41% completion, 5:51:29 on the game clock (feels like more than that actually but I guess that's because each race is just a few minutes).

Good stuff. Sad to see the series going into the shitter with that Unbounded crap. Hopefully they'll wake up and cancel it before it's too late.

john tv said:
Take this with a grain of salt as I am a big old-school Ridge Racer fan, but...for me, this game is the shit. Graphics are admittedly disappointing at first glance but when you're playing the actual game you don't notice it at all. Everything is fast and smooth, music is great, controls are great, etc. I went in with low expectations, but I'm really enjoying it. This isn't a US-developed turd like the original DS Ridge Racer (least I don't think it's US-developed anyway), this feels way more like the PSP games.

Currently working my way through the Advanced Grand Prix. 41% completion, 5:51:29 on the game clock (feels like more than that actually but I guess that's because each race is just a few minutes).

Good stuff. Sad to see the series going into the shitter with that Unbounded crap. Hopefully they'll wake up and cancel it before it's too late.

Thanks for the impressions. It's definitely looking like the best launch title to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
john tv said:

ooh, juices rising...GO GO GO

(can you turn the commentator off?)

Just wanted to poke my head in and say from all the 3DS launch titles I've been playing this is the second most pleasant surprise (after Ghost Recon.) I feel like it is the first truly good Ridge Racer for years. Just fun. Lots to do. I would even say that while the loading times can be a bit bad the game actually looks way better in motion - with or without 3D - than it does in stills. Recommended.

gkryhewy said:
Been sold on this since the Eurogamer review. Should be shipping today or tomorrow from Amazon, actually.

Airport loop!! What was the consensus from j-gaffers?

883e35c9.png

Actually that one's not Aviator Loop/Airport Lap, it's one of the 3 new tracks.

WillyFive

I think this game will turn out just fine.

Android18a said:
Am I alone in LOVING the announcer talking throughout the race? Its like being in a 90s arcade again.

Yeah, I liked it too.

It makes the game feel alive and exciting. What I sometimes don't like about some games today is how empty they sound, there's not a lot going on with audio, other than the occasional Dolby Digital blast. Hearing this game in action is very entertaining.

Shame it's annoying for others that aren't used to it though.

Gravijah said:

ok nintendo

But do I need basic reading ability to play this game? YOU'RE EXCLUDING PEOPLE HERE

gkryhewy

john tv said:

Thanks for the impressions. It seems that old-school Ridge fans generally love the game, which is all I need to know.

heringer

john tv said:

Could you please describe how the career mode works? I never played a Ridge Racer befora, but the single player sounds beefy. :)

mclem

APZonerunner said:
Just wanted to poke my head in and say from all the 3DS launch titles I've been playing this is the second most pleasant surprise (after Ghost Recon.)

Waitwaitwait! I've been wavering on Ghost Recon for ages (Gollop (yay!) vs. Ubisoft (boo!)). Is it *actually* good, then? Awesome if so, and I might go squeezing in another launch title.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
APZonerunner said:
Just wanted to poke my head in and say from all the 3DS launch titles I've been playing this is the second most pleasant surprise (after Ghost Recon.) I feel like it is the first truly good Ridge Racer for years. Just fun. Lots to do. I would even say that while the loading times can be a bit bad the game actually looks way better in motion - with or without 3D - than it does in stills. Recommended.

woot. Two pieces of reassuring good news in one thread. Was thinking to pick this up as a bundle deal on friday as I'm a big fan of lasersquad and rebelstar, but was a bit worried due to lack of almost any information at all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm in. Coming from Amazon with the console, hopefully it won't disappoint me and I won't be too bugged out by 30fps handling.

Will get when I pick my pre-order up. I'm disappointed that there's no online multiplayer but it's still looking to be one of the better launch titles.

I don't enjoy siding with Amir0x and his relentless onslaught of negativity, but running at half the framerate of a PSP launch title really is indefensible. I guess you won't mind if you're framerate-blind, like those people who claimed SSFIV3D ran at 60fps with 3D on.

Top Bottom