• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

Amir0x

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
Yeah, I haven't seen any reviews yet. Read impressions from British reviewers which were glowing though, and there's a ten minute long video of Gollop playing it on YouTube.

I mean I'd love a legitimate Advance Wars esque strategy game for launch, if it was good. I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for that. I suspect they got an Embargo on their games, but at least I can pick it up a few days later if people start liking it.

snizz, i guess i forgot to cancel my old-ass Ridge Racer 3DS pre-order for Gamestop anyway.

Just got this text:

Gamestop: Your Ridge Racer order avail Tue Am. Bring your trades to reduce price.

The fates are conspiring against me... I forgot I had this even ordered since I pre-ordered on Amazon and then canceled that order. I got so many things pre-ordered at places I forget what I have up >_<

Glix

Amir0x said:
I haven't heard anything about it. I haven't even read a review. I need really glowing endorsements to pick an original title for Ubisoft on a HANDHELD. If it was a console, sure, but their handheld track record is spotty...

Its by one of the guys behind XCOM, he compared it to Advance Wars. I'm thinking more and more that it is going to be awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Glix said:
Its by one of the guys behind XCOM, he compared it to Advance Wars. I'm thinking more and more that it is going to be awesome.

This is off topic so I'm going to continue this discussion in the 3DS launch lineup thread if you don't mind

Amir0x said:
I mean I'd love a legitimate Advance Wars esque strategy game for launch, if it was good. I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for that. I suspect they got an Embargo on their games, but at least I can pick it up a few days later if people start liking it.

snizz, i guess i forgot to cancel my old-ass Ridge Racer 3DS pre-order for Gamestop anyway.

Just got this text:

Gamestop: Your Ridge Racer order avail Tue Am. Bring your trades to reduce price.

The fates are conspiring against me... I forgot I had this even ordered since I pre-ordered on Amazon and then canceled that order. I got so many things pre-ordered at places I forget what I have up >_<

Don't do it.

Ridge Racer + $39 - 60 FPS = NO SALE

I just got the same text from GS that Amir0x got. I think I will try and pick it up tomorrow, I really want to see what the boxes and carts look like in person.

Figures.

I slept in today and sure enough somebody unsuccessfully tried to deliver Ridge Racers 2.

Sucks about this game though(framerate...ick). I guess I'll wait and see how the NGP edition turns out.

Donnie

I enjoyed this when I played it last time I was at a 3DS tour a few weeks ago. Seemed like a very fun racer with a decent 3D effect and I didn't find the graphics bad at all. I'm no Ridge Racer expert and it seems Namco have been a bit lazy to not get the game running at a better framerate (especially in 2D). But does it really look worse then the PSP version?, anyone care to give some examples?, or post some comparisons?

Amir0x

Banned
Donnie said:
I enjoyed this when I played it last time I was at a 3DS tour a few weeks ago. Seemed like a very fun racer with a decent 3D effect and I didn't find the graphics bad at all. I'm no Ridge Racer expert and it seems Namco have been a bit lazy to not get the game running at a better framerate (especially in 2D). But does it really look worse then the PSP version?, anyone care to give some examples?

The PSP game runs at 60fps and looks like this:

287_ridge-racer-20050301061434146.jpg

The 3DS game is 30fps and looks like this:

header_ridge_racer_3ds.jpg

Tried to find similar location/time settings.

angelfly

Amir0x

Banned
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
It doesn't look worse than the PSP version. It sucks that the framerate is 30fps, but the game should look better than that screen shot above would suggest. In the RR 3D Iwata Asks interview it's implied that the graphics have been improved since from the early batch of screens.

It does look worse than the PSP version. Even if the output LOOKED the same, one is running 60fps and the other is not. That is a colossal difference, particularly in a racing game.

Amir0x said:

Tried to find similar location/time settings.
At least they fixed the road, I remember the PSP game filled with those dang dithery shiny roads - they look wet, but aren't slippery.

The M.O.B

Amir0x said:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/287_ridge-racer-20050301061434146.jpg

[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/header_ridge_racer_3ds.jpg

Tried to find similar location/time settings.[/QUOTE]

Here is a better comparison.
3DS on left, PSP on right.
[IMG]http://www.nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ridge_racer_comparison.jpg

Everything on the 3DS version seems downgraded.

EDIT: Looking at some of the more recent screenshots, either they did a good job on bullshots or they actually improved it a bit.

MrMephistoX

Amir0x said:

Just got this text:

My worry is that Nintendo are not going to overhaul their traditionally 2D franchises like we all would like them to. I can foresee them just adding a 3D effect to slightly higher res sprites on games like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Advance Wars and calling it a day. They haven't overhauled any of these franchises since the SNES/GBC.

Hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see something along the lines of the GC/Wii games only done by Intelligent Systems instead of being outsourced.

Amir0x

Banned
The M.O.B said:
ridge_racer_comparison.jpg

Image didn't show up for me until I went to the link itself, but yeah. It's improved somewhat from those screens, but with the framerate issue, it's obviously worse overall.

- J - D -

Amir0x said:
It does look worse than the PSP version. Even if the output LOOKED the same, one is running 60fps and the other is not. That is a colossal difference, particularly in a racing game.

No, it looks better. Plays worse, possibly, but looks better. ugh.

Amir0x

Banned
WonkersTHEWatilla said:

Uh, framerate is part of the way a game looks. And is one of the most important aspects of a games looks to boot. It's simply one that cannot be interpreted in still shots.

- J - D -

Amir0x said:
Uh, framerate is part of the way a game looks. And is one of the most important aspects of a games looks to boot. It's simply one that cannot be interpreted in still shots.

Okay okay. It's graphics are better.

Boney

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
My worry is that Nintendo are not going to overhaul their traditionally 2D franchises like we all would like them to. I can foresee them just adding a 3D effect to slightly higher res sprites on games like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Advance Wars and calling it a day. They haven't overhauled any of these franchises since the SNES/GBC.

Hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see something along the lines of the GC/Wii games only done by Intelligent Systems instead of being outsourced.
fucking 3d in fire emblem looked awful.

Leave my sprites alone dammit!

Donnie

The M.O.B said:

EDIT: Looking at some of the more recent screenshots, either they did a good job on bullshots or they actually improved it a bit.

Those are definitely old shots from an inferior build of the 3DS game, the version I played looked considerably better then that, more like the 3DS pic Amir0x posted but a bit better still.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/287_ridge-racer-20050301061434146.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/header_ridge_racer_3ds.jpg[/IM]

Tried to find similar location/time settings.[/QUOTE]

Lol, nice work digging up the first batch of RR3D screens to find the shittiest possible shot. Here's a proper 3DS shot for comparison. But yeah, 30fps is a shame.

[IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/gkrykewy/220ac85a.png

Amir0x said:

It's not that important IMO, though I don't want to downgrade it's importance. The last build I played around with was OK. I think the graphics are better than the PSP version overall (and that shouldn't be too difficult), but the game is not really impressive, while the PSP version was, at it's time.

Also the DS game seems to be...textured differently, somewhat more colorful, can't find it exactly.

Mafro

Aside from the HUDs, those RR screens look pretty much the same. The PSP version might look marginally better due to the lighting.

Spiegel

gkryhewy said:
Lol, nice work digging up the first batch of RR3D screens to find the shittiest possible shot. Here's a proper 3DS shot for comparison. But yeah, 30fps is a shame.

220ac85a.png

A 640px × 384px screenshot hardly can be a proper 3DS shot.

Amir0x

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Lol, nice work digging up the first batch of RR3D screens to find the shittiest possible shot.

The only considerations were time and location; the similarity between areas for PSP and 3DS versions.

In any event, there's no real debate. The truth is a 60fps Ridge Racer that looks slightly better than a 30fps Ridge Racer in stills is actually substantially better in reality. Stop getting caught up in your blind fervor. It's not a fanboy war. It's a simple matter of technical specifications.

A racing game that runs in 60fps and looks the same or even slightly worse is always better than a racing game that runs in 30fps.

MrMephistoX

Boney said:
fucking 3d in fire emblem looked awful.

Leave my sprites alone dammit!

Lol that's why I qualified the statement somewhat. I'm talking done right ie. Super Smash Brothers Level character models at the very least.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
2vjwkzt.jpg

33wt7r4.jpg

2zzp5ao.jpg

ei6wiq.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. These are mostly recent.

Hot damn! I apologize it's definitely better than Accelerated: I stand corrected after basing my original argument on apparently early screen shots.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:
The only considerations were time and location; the similarity between areas for PSP and 3DS versions.

In any event, there's no real debate. The truth is a 60fps Ridge Racer that looks slightly better than a 30fps Ridge Racer in stills is actually substantially better in reality. Stop getting caught up in your blind fervor. It's not a fanboy war. It's a simple matter of technical specifications.

A racing game that runs in 60fps and looks the same or even slightly worse is always better than a racing game that runs in 30fps.

As I said, 30fps is a shame. This is still a credible Ridge game, however, and perhaps the last one we ever get. If I have any blind fervor, it's as an obsessive Ridge fan.

And it's still more than a little trollish of you to cherry pick obviously old screens (note the entirely different HUD), but whatever.

Amir0x said:

I could argue that a good implementation of 3D can make a 30fps version of a racer substantially better than a non-3D, 60fps version of the same racer. This does not apply to Ridge Racer since I'm not sure how good the 3D is though.

- J - D -

Annoying Old Party Man said:
I could argue that a good implementation of 3D can make a 30fps version of a racer substantially better than a non-3D, 60fps version of the same racer. This does not apply to Ridge Racer since I'm not sure how good the 3D is though.

Well RR 3DS runs in 30fps in both 3D and 2D mode. Amirox doesn't care about 3D (or rather, detests it with incredible passion), so it's a bitter pill to swallow that playing 2D won't improve the game for him somehow except not violate his eyes.

The M.O.B

1. Those blown up shots looks terribly jagged & compressed, the closer to actual 3DS screen size ones like the one below looks good. Color me surprised if it will look like that once I get my 3DS.

2vjwkzt.jpg

2. I went to go look for the official screenshots so I could properly judge, but they have no NA official site, fail. The JPN site doesn't have screens either wtf.

3. When does the motion blur kick in? In the screen below he is going 320 but there no motion blur, in the screen above the car is going 240 without boost and there is a ton of motion blur. Are these from different builds? because these are the latest ones I could find.

RRC_SQ20110105_121202.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
It does look a bit better, no doubt, but the PSP is from 2004. It should look both quite a bit better and run at 60 fps. There's just no excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Amir0x

Banned
Annoying Old Party Man said:

In no fucking galaxy would 3D be better than 60fps for a racer. Shit, even if the 3D was absolutely FLAWLESS with NO DRAWBACKS and NO VIEWING ANGLE ISSUES or anything else, 60fps would STILL be the preferred visual and gameplay standard.

I mean, I'm not even going to consider the fact that I'm amazing at Ridge Racer and so I'm not the type of crappy gamer that has waited years for TRUE DEPTH PERCEPTION HOMG and therefore there would be absolutely no improvement for me in terms of how well I did. 60fps will always be the standard, bro.

WonkersTheWatilla said:
Amirox doesn't care about 3D (or rather, detests it with incredible passion),

False. I don't care about the current slate of substandard 3D technologies on the market. I am neutral to 3D as a concept; it won't improve gameplay at all but when we finally get perfect 3D it will improve the visual standard. We are not even close to there yet though.

- J - D -

The M.O.B said:
1. Those blown up shots looks terribly jagged & compressed, the closer to actual 3DS screen size ones like the one below looks good. Color me surprised if it will look like that once I get my 3DS.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2vjwkzt.jpg

2. I went to go look for the official screenshots so I could properly judge, but they have no NA official site, fail. The JPN site doesn't have screens either wtf.

3. When does the motion blur kick in? In the screen below he is going 320 but there no motion blur, in the screen above the car is going 240 without boost and there is a ton of motion blur. [B]Are these old?
[/B]
[IMG]http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/RRC_SQ20110105_121202.jpg[/QUOTE]

I dunno. The shot with the blue car was put out recently I think in Feb or March. No info on the bottom, larger shot though. The possibility of bullshot on the blur exists.

[QUOTE=dark10x]It does look a bit better, no doubt, but the PSP is from 2004. It should look both quite a bit better and run at 60 fps. There's just no excuse as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Lazy or rushed programming, courtesy of Scamco. :/

angelfly

dark10x said:
It does look a bit better, no doubt, but the PSP is from 2004. It should look both quite a bit better and run at 60 fps. There's just no excuse as far as I'm concerned.
None of the 3DS games are running at 60fps. SSFIV only reaches it when the 3D hardware is turned off. Not sure if any other games offer the option.

Amir0x

Banned
angelfly said:
None of the 3DS games are running at 60fps. SSFIV only reaches it when the 3D hardware is turned off. Not sure if any other games offer the option.

MonkeyBall offers a jittery 60fps in 3D mode.

Pretty sure I heard Dead or Alive or some other game gets 60fps boost out of 3D too. One of the Lego Star Wars games does too.

Amir0x said:
In no fucking galaxy would 3D be better than 60fps for a racer. Shit, even if the 3D was absolutely FLAWLESS with NO DRAWBACKS and NO VIEWING ANGLE ISSUES or anything else, 60fps would STILL be the preferred visual and gameplay standard.

I mean, I'm not even going to consider the fact that I'm amazing at Ridge Racer and so I'm not the type of crappy gamer that has waited years for TRUE DEPTH PERCEPTION HOMG and therefore there would be absolutely no improvement for me in terms of how well I did. 60fps will always be the standard, bro.

False. I don't care about the current slate of substandard 3D technologies on the market. I am neutral to 3D as a concept; it won't improve gameplay at all but when we finally get perfect 3D it will improve the visual standard. We are not even close to there yet though.

Let's separate visuals and gameplay, since we were talking about visuals only. In your galaxy only 60fps is considered a better choice from 3D. In my galaxy 3D turns me on in racers. To mirror your post, I'm not the type of gamer which claims OH NO IM MISSING 30FRAMES HOW WILL I PERFORM MY MINISCULY PERFECT MOVES NOW, but 3D makes the whole racing experience feel better.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah too bad you can't separate visuals and gameplay when it comes to framerate. That's just how integral framerate is.

60fps is the golden standard, just incalculably more important than any other visual aspect for racing games and fighting games (and action games like DmC/Bayonetta). If you disagree for a racer, you're not a real racing fan. If that seems condescending, it's meant to be.

Amir0x said:
yeah too bad you can't separate visuals and gameplay when it comes to framerate. That's just how integral framerate is.

60fps is the golden standard, just incalculably more important than any other visual aspect for racing games and fighting games (and action games like DmC/Bayonetta). If you disagree for a racer, you're not a real racing fan. If that seems condescending, it's meant to be.

Well I disagree with the absolute of your position. If'm enjoying a game better because of a feature (3D) and a lack of another feature (60fps) does not bother me, then the importance of the second feature is up to argument. So your answer is more about your golden standard, not about a holy grail of racing games rules book.

To each his own, I guess.

Linkup

The M.O.B said:
esn't have screens either wtf.

3. When does the motion blur kick in? In the screen below he is going 320 but there no motion blur, in the screen above the car is going 240 without boost and there is a ton of motion blur. Are these from different builds? because these are the latest ones I could find.

Motion blur may just happen for a second after you use a nitro, and that sceenshot probably caught it just at that moment. It could also be the slipstream effect.

Top Bottom