• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Suzzopher said:
Got my free copy for subscribing to ONM this morning. 3DS era has begun.
I emailed them to ask about the 150 limit and they replied today with "It's true" without actually telling me if I was one of the lucky few or not :/

I've never owned a ridge racer but, alarmingly, this looks like one of the deeper launch titles.

Luigiv

Green Scar said:
Most recent instance of it I saw was Pokemon Black. Earliest was either Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town or Animal Crossing. They've been doing it for ages, daft as owt considering the games it features on are ones where you just think 'well, er, NO SHIT'
That disclaimer isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at non-gaming parents looking to buy a suitable, E-rated game for their kids. Think about it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This game had the most disappointing 3D of pretty much everything I tried at the 3DS launch event last week. The sensation of depth wasn't very good, and I also experienced some double vision. The graphics themselves were also pretty terrible. Also didn't find it very fun, but maybe I'm just not into this sort of crazy drifting fest.

angelfly

john tv said:
Take this with a grain of salt as I am a big old-school Ridge Racer fan, but...for me, this game is the shit. Graphics are admittedly disappointing at first glance but when you're playing the actual game you don't notice it at all. Everything is fast and smooth, music is great, controls are great, etc. I went in with low expectations, but I'm really enjoying it. This isn't a US-developed turd like the original DS Ridge Racer (least I don't think it's US-developed anyway), this feels way more like the PSP games.

Currently working my way through the Advanced Grand Prix. 41% completion, 5:51:29 on the game clock (feels like more than that actually but I guess that's because each race is just a few minutes).

Good stuff. Sad to see the series going into the shitter with that Unbounded crap. Hopefully they'll wake up and cancel it before it's too late.
Yeah, while the graphics are disappointing the 3D does do a lot for it IMO. When it's off I notice it a lot more but as you said once you get into it you're not worried about it. As for the time spent in game I'd say you have spent a lot more time playing. It has me clocked at 4h 22m (just finished basic 15) but the 3DS itself says I've spent 7h 47m playing.

Cwarrior

I remember playing this game at the nintendo even in feburary, it was by far the most unimpressive game at the show (ugly and broken 3d).

The ridge racer franchise has been launch shovelware status for over decade where any sane person would never buy it 6 months after system launch. So I find it hard to believe that this series has any fans especially here on gaf.

edit:

just to let know this was the only game in the event that 3d did not work for me, it kinda worked in the car select screen but in racer it was just broken.

gkryhewy

Cwarrior said:
The ridge racer franchise has been launch shovelware status for over decade where any sane person would never buy it 6 months after system launch. So I find it hard to believe that this series has any fans especially here on gaf.

Oh shit, we've got the impartial arbiter of franchise/genre quality here. Preorder canceled.

Some of what I have read has been less then impressive and I am disappointed that this game does not look as good as a 5yr old PSP title but I have always enjoyed this series and I doubt this one will change my mind. As it stands this is my only day 1 title with the system.

Chorazin

Amazon is listing my copy as Shipping Soon, so I should get it tomorrow or Wednesday. Shame I won't get my 3DS for another week. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Father_Brain said:
I don't enjoy siding with Amir0x and his relentless onslaught of negativity, but running at half the framerate of a PSP launch title really is indefensible. I guess you won't mind if you're framerate-blind, like those people who claimed SSFIV3D ran at 60fps with 3D on.

I'll side with the people that like Ridge Racer and have played and enjoyed this, over someone arbitrarily dismissing it for not ticking a particular tech box.

Is there a listing of the old music tracks? I heard Orbital Rock on a video johntv posted, but what else?
please please please Galactic Life

no online >( :'(

I wish Nintendo Power had the same offer as its Europe magazine , i am still on the fence since i played both PSP ridge racers.

but i do want a racer at launch, hmmmmmm.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, I was going to cancel my Amazon preorder and then saw it was "Shipping Soon," making that impossible. Oh well--Ridge Racer 3D it is.

FoneBone

mrklaw said:
I'll side with the people that like Ridge Racer and have played and enjoyed this, over someone arbitrarily dismissing it for not ticking a particular tech box.
Oh, please. I'm not a die-hard framerate whore, but 60FPS adds a lot for a racing game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Plinko said:
Well, I was going to cancel my Amazon preorder and then saw it was "Shipping Soon," making that impossible. Oh well--Ridge Racer 3D it is.

edit - oh, this is just for RR. Nevermind, I thought they were shipping your 3DS...

Effect

Chorazin said:
Amazon is listing my copy as Shipping Soon, so I should get it tomorrow or Wednesday. Shame I won't get my 3DS for another week. :(

The release date for the US version is listed as March 22 on the official site. Even Nintendo.com had that or March 23rd as the release date. Where has the March 27 date come from?

Still looking forward to this game. I love Mario Kart but I can wait for that to be released. I haven't played a racing game that was that in a long time.

Boney said:
I'm totally getting this on the cheap.

This and every other launch title has "4.99 used in a few months" written all over them. With the possible exception of Street Fighter. I'm still at a loss as to picking up a launch title just to have something for my 3DS or to just wait it out. Leaning towards just getting my 3DS pre-order and waiting out the games. If any of these games were coming out a few years into the lifespan of the 3DS I wouldnt give them a second thought.

Chorazin

Effect said:
The release date for the US version is listed as March 22 on the official site. Even Nintendo.com had that or March 23rd as the release date. Where has the March 27 date come from?

Uh, huh? The 3DS is launching the 27th, but I never actually mentioned any dates, just that I'll have a 3DS game with nothing to play it on for a week.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
gofreak said:
edit - oh, this is just for RR. Nevermind, I thought they were shipping your 3DS...

I would be shouting that from the rooftops.

Plinko

Kinspiracy said:
This and every other launch title has "4.99 used in a few months" written all over them.

Not with two games published by Nintendo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FoneBone said:
Oh, please. I'm not a die-hard framerate whore, but 60FPS adds a lot for a racing game.

I agree with you. But you said 'running at half the framerate of a PSP launch title really is indefensible' which is quite a lot stronger than 'running at half the framerate of a PSP launch title is a bit shit' (I'd have agreed with the second one)

angelfly

djSyndrome said:
Is there a listing of the old music tracks? I heard Orbital Rock on a video johntv posted, but what else?
please please please Galactic Life
Here are all the tracks in the game. More might unlock after finishing all the basic races but these are the ones listed for me.

Disc 1

Psychokinesis / SamplingMasters MEGA
Stream of Lights / Hiroshi Okubo
Venomous / Rio Hamamoto
Heat Shadows / Rio Hamamoto
Phantasize / Ryo Watanabe

Disc 2

NOx Warheads / SamplingMasters AYA
Rolling Glider / Keiichi Okabe
Nitro Right Now / Taku Inoue
Burn Up The Road / Hiroshi Okubo
Angel Halo / Rio Hamamoto

Disc 3

Call of Apsara / SamplingMasters AYA
My Crazy Chainsaw / SamplingMasters AYA
Aberration / LindaAI-CUE
Napalm Sled / SamplingMasters MEGA
Dr. Mad's Gone / SamplingMasters MEGA

Disc 4

Ridge Racer / Megaten
Drive U 2 Dancing Remix / AYA
Euphoria / AYA
Rotten7 Remix / Megaten
M.T.T.B. / Hiroshi Okubo

Disc 5

Orbital Rock / Hiroshi Okubo
Rage Racer Remix / Hiroshi Okubo
DareDevil / Kohta Takahashi
Move Me / Kohta Takahashi
Freak Out / Akitaka Tohyama

Disc 6

Combustion / SamplingMasters MEGA
Explorers / Hiroshi Okubo
Ultra Cruise / Tetsukazu Nakanishi
Trail of Light / J99
Radiance / Sanodg

[Nintex]

I've read a lot of great impressions and racing games are usually great to pick up at launch because of their content and high replay value.

Effect

Chorazin said:
Uh, huh? The 3DS is launching the 27th, but I never actually mentioned any dates, just that I'll have a 3DS game with nothing to play it on for a week.

Sorry should have worded that better. I was just adding on to what you said about your order shipping soon by saying what the release dates were as listed by Namco and Nintendo. The opening post has the 27th as the release date in the US and the 25th for EU. Was just curious as to where the 27th date came from.

I just now got around to reading the Iwata asks for RR3D and this keeps sticking with me

"Sakagami: Well, to put it bluntly, the staff members are humble folks. They're no good at bluffing.

Iwata:You mean they don't want to release a screenshot they may not be able to deliver on?

Sakagami:Right. "

I have always felt bad for the RR team they always seem to get smashed into the launch window and despite that still turn out a decent or sometimes great product. Despite that Namco have clearly fallen down from where they were during the mid 90's this comment shows me there is still a sense of honesty, and pride left somewhere in there.

WillyFive

[Nintex] said:
I've read a lot of great impressions and racing games are usually great to pick up at launch because of their content and high replay value.

Yep. Nowadays, replay value is very important on my decision on buying a game, especially if they are so expensive.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Cwarrior said:
I remember playing this game at the nintendo even in feburary, it was by far the most unimpressive game at the show (ugly and broken 3d).

theres not a lot of us, but there are quite a few rr fans here. the unbounded thread proved that.

angelfly said:
Here are all the tracks in the game. More might unlock after finishing all the basic races but these are the ones listed for me.

Disc 1

Psychokinesis / SamplingMasters MEGA
Stream of Lights / Hiroshi Okubo
Venomous / Rio Hamamoto
Heat Shadows / Rio Hamamoto
Phantasize / Ryo Watanabe

Disc 2

NOx Warheads / SamplingMasters AYA
Rolling Glider / Keiichi Okabe
Nitro Right Now / Taku Inoue
Burn Up The Road / Hiroshi Okubo
Angel Halo / Rio Hamamoto

Disc 3

Call of Apsara / SamplingMasters AYA
My Crazy Chainsaw / SamplingMasters AYA
Aberration / LindaAI-CUE
Napalm Sled / SamplingMasters MEGA
Dr. Mad's Gone / SamplingMasters MEGA

Disc 4

Ridge Racer / Megaten
Drive U 2 Dancing Remix / AYA
Euphoria / AYA
Rotten7 Remix / Megaten
M.T.T.B. / Hiroshi Okubo

Disc 5

Orbital Rock / Hiroshi Okubo
Rage Racer Remix / Hiroshi Okubo
DareDevil / Kohta Takahashi
Move Me / Kohta Takahashi
Freak Out / Akitaka Tohyama

Disc 6

Combustion / SamplingMasters MEGA
Explorers / Hiroshi Okubo
Ultra Cruise / Tetsukazu Nakanishi
Trail of Light / J99
Radiance / Sanodg

okubo is onboard with this one? consider me sold. ever since i heard dynapolis, ive been hooked to his works

I have this preordered along with SSF4. I could easily see myself playing this more than SSF4. I already played the hell out of SSF4 on X360. Also, I do most of my gaming on DS. I've never been much of a graphics whore. I'm fine with the graphics here. I just want great RR gameplay.

mollipen

speedpop said:
I hope someone who has Ridge Racer 2 on PSP will buy this and compare the two.

Yup, this is exactly what I want to hear. If it's Ridge Racer 2 + more, I'll have to have it. If it's different but equal in quality, I want it. If it isn't up to RR2's level, then I won't worry about getting to it anytime soon.

MrMephistoX

Amir0x said:
not really Scamco is too fucking lazy to even make the game run at 60fps out of 3D mode. I mean it'll still be superior mode but there's no reason to celebrate about it... it's fucking ugly in 2D mode too.

Game looks worse than a PSP launch title and they couldn't even accommodate that. Scamco *headshake*

It kind of looks on par with Ridge Racer Accelerated HD on Ipad IMHO as well and that's $8.99. All my misgivings would be erased in an instant if this had online play though. I think I might just snag a copy of RR7 for PS3 again on the cheap and stick to PSP/Ipad if I want a portable version.

Every system launch since the PS1, I've bought a Ridge Racer, I don't know if that will be the case with the 3DS and this is one of the few titles I'm kinda, sorta interested in buying. I think I'm just going to pick up my 3DS launch unit and play Okamiden or Radiant Historia on it.

Effect

speedpop said:
I hope someone who has Ridge Racer 2 on PSP will buy this and compare the two.
I'm kinda surprised this hasn't happen already.

The only footage I can find that is clear enough is this.

Ridge Racer 3DS (off screen) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6dBCv6J5E4
Ridge Racer 2 PSP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1oJYrUubj4&feature=related

Here's the iPhone Ridge Racer game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWSR16K6sI - That looks so uncomfortable and ackward to play.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
MrMephistoX said:
It kind of looks on par with Ridge Racer Accelerated HD on Ipad IMHO as well and that's $8.99. All my misgivings would be erased in an instant if this had online play though. I think I might just snag a copy of RR7 for PS3 again on the cheap and stick to PSP/Ipad if I want a portable version.

im curious about the ios versions. do they come with a full tracklist comparable to one of the psp ridge racers?

- J - D -

MrMephistoX said:

I don't think RR Accelated HD is comparable at all. It's the iphone version blown up at a higher res. The textures are blurry and environment detail lacking. No career and no multiplayer Of course, it is $9. That's a strong counter arguement.

Gravijah

Parallax said:
theres not a lot of us, but there are quite a few rr fans here. the unbounded thread proved that.

okubo is onboard with this one? consider me sold. ever since i heard dynapolis, ive been hooked to his works

where the fuck is rotterdam nation

Amir0x

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
Man, you're like those cool dudes who used "Micro$oft" back in the day.

Scamco has earned the tag with enthusiasm; it's not like the butthurt Nintendo and Sony fans who just couldn't see some other company muscle in on their GAMING TERRITORY so they threw a dollar sign in Microsoft's name.

Scamco worked for years at slowly widdling away the confidence of every fan of their franchises that exists. It is a tag they will keep until they change their evil ways. They even massacred Katamari Damacy. How can you do that? It's a niche game about rolling shit up. But they found a way.

They always found a way.

Ridge Racer is a TOP TIER franchise for me, with Unbounded and the 3DS game, they finally killed that too :(

mrklaw said:
arbitrarily dismissing it for not ticking a particular tech box.

Psst, arbitrarily means "randomly." None of my standards are random. Nor are they incidental to the quality of these franchises.

Amir0x said:
Scamco worked for years at slowly widdling away the confidence of every fan of their franchises that exists. It is a tag they will keep until they change their evil ways. They even massacred Katamari Damacy. How can you do that? It's a niche game about rolling shit up. But they found a way.

They always found a way.

Ridge Racer is a TOP TIER franchise for me, with Unbounded and the 3DS game, they finally killed that too :(

While I agree that Namco could use some serious changes to their business model and attitude, I don't think RR3D is an example of butchering the series further. Perhaps I am not being harsh enough on them but overall I see RR3D as a middle of the road effort, which I will gladly take over the abomination that is RR Unbounded. I still think Namco has some talented people working for them and there is a real love for the titles/series they create but its just that management is getting in the way.

Amir0x

Banned
TheBanditKing said:
While I agree that Namco could use some serious changes to their business model and attitude, I don't think RR3D is an example of butchering the series further. Perhaps I am not being harsh enough on them but overall I see RR3D as a middle of the road effort, which I will gladly take over the abomination that is RR Unbounded. I still think Namco has some talented people working for them and there is a real love for the titles/series they create but its just that management is getting in the way.

I DEFINITELY agree even this is preferable to Unbounded :p

Well, I just know the game is below the standards set by a PSP launch game. That's infuriating. Even on principle I don't want to support it then; even if everything else was equal. But everything else isn't equal, of course, since this is 30fps Ridge Racer, and I basically gave up 30fps Ridge Racer long ago :p

To tell you the truth, though, despite what I say I might end up picking it up. Right now it's Russian Roulette. I canceled my Steel Diver pre-order, so now I have no games for 3DS right now. Ridge Racer seems at least to have content, which is more than I can say for most of the launch games.

I just don't know if that'll be enough to put it over my principle hump, but I am desperately looking for something to fill the void. Right now it's between this (again, lol!) and, uh, Rayman. God what a wasteland :(

robox

still sittin' on the fence on 3ds, but rr3d will be a mandatory complement for when i do.

boo to no new sanoDG tracks. here's to holding out to hope it's a later unlock.
but yay to inclusion of Radiance.

Amir0x said:
I DEFINITELY agree even this is preferable to Unbounded :p

Well, I just know the game is below the standards set by a PSP launch game. That's infuriating. Even on principle I don't want to support it then; even if everything else was equal. But everything else isn't equal, of course, since this is 30fps Ridge Racer, and I basically gave up 30fps Ridge Racer long ago :p

To tell you the truth, though, despite what I say I might end up picking it up. Right now it's Russian Roulette. I canceled my Steel Diver pre-order, so now I have no games for 3DS right now. Ridge Racer seems at least to have content, which is more than I can say for most of the launch games.

I just don't know if that'll be enough to put it over my principle hump, but I am desperately looking for something to fill the void. Right now it's between this (again, lol!) and, uh, Rayman. God what a wasteland :(

I hear you about it being the "principle of the matter" though I tend to find nostalgia outweighs logic/principle in most instances (for this stuff anyway) and it is just a launch game after all, which most by definition are rushed and half bakes tech demos, lol. The PSP entries were amazing for sure and seeing this not measure up from a graphical/technical stand point (set 5 years ago none the less) is disappointing but I really don't feel the gameplay will suffer for this. Also I have seen very few repeat cars from game to game so far and it does have new tracks (4 I think) and the soundtrack is respectable (and mostly new? I would need clarification on this) with the series vets taking the helm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY95iQW_9Oo&feature=related

Overall I just think this was rushed because they got the dev kits a bit late but will likely end up being better then any racer on the 3DS for a good while; especially for me as I am more Arcade then Sim when it comes to racing.

Oh and I completely understand with Rayman though, now that to me it ultimate laziness. Rayman 2 has been ported more times then I can remember and it was ported over to DS just a few years ago, Ubi really needs to let that game go....

Amir0x

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
Why not Ghost Recon? It sounds like the best launch game by some margin.

I haven't heard anything about it. I haven't even read a review. I need really glowing endorsements to pick an original title for Ubisoft on a HANDHELD. If it was a console, sure, but their handheld track record is spotty...

Amir0x said:
I haven't heard anything about it. I haven't even read a review. I need really glowing endorsements to pick an original title for Ubisoft on a HANDHELD. If it was a console, sure, but their handheld track record is spotty...
Yeah, I haven't seen any reviews yet. Read impressions from British reviewers which were glowing though, and there's a ten minute long video of Gollop playing it on YouTube.

Top Bottom