• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

gkryhewy

The only thing that bothered me about this last night was the hideous, hideous train wreck of a process to download all the free DLC.

Also, I was confused by the patch -- I thought it would automatically prompt me to download it when I launched the game (like it would on Xbox Live), so I ended up accidentally playing my first couple of races on the unpatched version of the game. The frame rate was ghastly!

Post-patch it's lovely though.

thirty

Banned
ugh. i didnt even think about the dlc taking up precious space on my memory card. are they just unlock keys or actual megs of space?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In reading that press release they said that there would be 3 tracks available for DLC. I just checked and only 2 tracks are up.

Lucky you. PAL gamers only have one track and two cars in the DLC Gold Pack so far. Come on Namco, it's been three weeks already and all the content is supposed to be available by the end of March.

If this is how it's going to be drip fed out then I don't see any incentive to purchase the next pass.

Wonko_C

To put it into perspective...the original arcade Daytona USA had 3 tracks and how long ago was that?

Top Gear on the SNES had dozens of tracks. Take that, Daytona!

(Which further proves your point, but I'm just speaking in jest.)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It sounds to me that the PSP version plays well on a Vita. Also, Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 is $19.99 on PSN. Both of these games have a substantial single player element. Is it fair to say that people who are upset would have preferred a remake of RR4 with online play or a port of RR7 over what this latest Vita version is? Or is it the price that is objectionable? The gameplay is certainly on par with RR7.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Interesting. It seemed to be smooth and definitely 60. I've noticed micro stuttering on PC but here on the Vita, it's great. Has this been a known issue with the PSN version on PSP or is this on Vita too? It was super smooth for me, that's why I ask.

Yes this was a known issue when playing the PSN version on stock 222mhz firmware on the PSP. On Vita at its 333mhz emulation, it runs well.

So I downloaded the "demo" for this. The hell? What a colossal waste of time and bandwidth. If you haven't yet, do yourself a favour and DON'T get it. There's no actual gameplay. I seriously can't imagine what they were thinking. The game is already a difficult sell as is.

Wonko_C

So I downloaded the "demo" for this. The hell? What a colossal waste of time and bandwidth. If you haven't yet, do yourself a favour and DON'T get it. There's no actual gameplay. I seriously can't imagine what they were thinking. The game is already a difficult sell as is.

I knew the "demo" was going to be that but why not call it "Ridge Racer E3 2011 Tech Demo" to avoid confusion? It's doing them more harm than good.

DenogginizerOS

I knew the "demo" was going to be that but why not call it "Ridge Racer E3 2011 Tech Demo" to avoid confusion? It's doing them more harm than good.

I think Sony has to answer to this, not Namco. Here is a direct quote from Namco's RR press release: "Along with the full game’s release, an exclusive application for the PlayStation®Vita system will also be available for free to download featuring an interactive audio and video experience that will give fans a unique taste of this bold and glimmering entry into the RIDGE RACER® world."

No. After some research this IS the demo. With it being so pathetic I thought it was surely a mistake. :-( this has to officially be the worst demo ever right?

Ah well I can't even find the interactive demo but from all I heard in this thread yeah it gets the award for the worst "demo" ever :(

If they were afraid that a demo would offer too much from the full game because of the weak content they should just have made it a timed demo, like you get to complete one lap or race for 2 minutes, whichever happens first.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
rip racer

i like the game but damn, i want atleast angelus and devil in, and how the fuck do you play with friends, cant even invite?!

yyr

The new version... really, seriously only runs at 30fps? No console or PSP version has been stuck at that framerate since PS1 (I can't speak for 3DS).

Is Ridge Racers 2 (for PSP) available on PSN anywhere in the world? If so, is it possible to create an account for that region on a US PSVita? It's hard to justify buying the first PSP release when the second really does have a lot more content.

btkadams

The new version... really, seriously only runs at 30fps? No console or PSP version has been stuck at that framerate since PS1 (I can't speak for 3DS).

Is Ridge Racers 2 (for PSP) available on PSN anywhere in the world? If so, is it possible to create an account for that region on a US PSVita? It's hard to justify buying the first PSP release when the second really does have a lot more content.

ridge racer 1 is available on NA/JP psn. ridge racer 2 is available on JP psn. you can't run other regions' psn games on your vita. you have to do a factory reset to switch to the game's region account and have a memory card just for that specific account as well.

Asking for new tracks in a Ridge game is odd to me. If you're a fan of Ridge Racer, you want the same old tracks, that's part of what makes up Ridge Racer.
No. Just no.

The trend of rehashing old courses didn't start until Ridge Racer V on the PS2. But it wasn't a big deal because it was a newly re-skinned version of the original RR1 course. At the time it was really cool.

And then the PSP game was released. This was when it really began. It was awesome because that game could have been called "Ridge Racer's Greatest Hits" as it covered courses throughout the series history.

But ever since then, Namco hasn't created a single new course. Maybe there was one or two in the 3DS version, but overall they are just being lazy. It was never a "part of what makes a Ridge Racer" in the series first 10 years.

yyr

Ugh, not worth all of that...

If there was any logical explanation as to why Ridge Racers 2 never came out on PSP in NA, I'd love to hear it. But none exists, right?

I'm the biggest fan of the series that I know (I got the No-Nitrous and No-Crash Single Race achievements in RR6. Seriously), and I am so disappointed knowing that the framerate sucks. I haven't actually played it yet. Is there anyone here who feels that they usually insist on 60fps, but can tolerate the new version anyway?

But ever since then, Namco hasn't created a single new course.

New courses created for Ridge Racer 6:
Airport Lap, Aviator Loop, Southbay Docks, Harborline 765, Island Circle, Midtown Parkway, Highland Cliffs, Lakeshore Drive, Laketop Parkway, Seacrest District, Sunset Heights, Surfside Resort, Rave City Riverfront, Crossbay Tunnel

New courses created for Ridge Racer 7:
Shadow Caves, Lost Ruins, Mist Falls, Industrial Drive, Old Central, Bayside Freeway

The thing is, the course design has been consistently good throughout the entire series. IMHO the RR7 courses are not nearly as interesting as the RR6 courses but they're still okay. I was floored when I first saw RR6 and realized that every course besides Downtown Rave City was new. And...fancy that, they all came on the disc!

thirty

Banned
No. Just no.

The trend of rehashing old courses didn't start until Ridge Racer V on the PS2. But it wasn't a big deal because it was a newly re-skinned version of the original RR1 course. At the time it was really cool.

wrong. so wrong. ridge racer 5 did return to the central part of ridge city but expanded it so far past the original 765 course that its not even funny. You raced down underneath the orginal course and well beyond, the absoluet coolest tho was the left hand turn after the last tunnel on the original course. In the old games you had bullbozers and construction going on in that area. In V it was fully built out. insanely awesome and amazing touch. I'd kill to see those courses in HD.

wrong. so wrong. ridge racer 5 did return to the central part of ridge city but expanded it so far past the original 765 course that its not even funny. You raced down underneath the orginal course and well beyond, the absoluet coolest tho was the left hand turn after the last tunnel on the original course. In the old games you had bullbozers and construction going on in that area. In V it was fully built out. insanely awesome and amazing touch. I'd kill to see those courses in HD.
Ok...

You literally just expanded on my point. All I was saying is that V was the first time they returned to an old course - which was re-skinned. And that it was really cool.

Though I admit I didn't take into consideration the new courses introduced in RR6 and 7. I was definitely wrong about that. But the point still stands - the last few RR releases have leaned way too heavily on those old courses. And I would have liked to see a couple new ones this time around.

steveovig

Just bragging here but I currently have the #1 lap in Time Attack in the US for Old Century R and I'm 53rd in the world! This game really grows on ya and I can't wait for more tracks!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can anyone with a game answer if the music from the demo is in the game? Is it maybe the music that you have to pay $1 to download? (Ridge Racer New Songs Pack / The Time is Now)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Can anyone with a game answer if the music from the demo is in the game? Is it maybe the music that you have to pay $1 to download? (Ridge Racer New Songs Pack / The Time is Now)

it is but i've not come across it in the race. It's in the initial lobbies for online racing if you leave it running.

The thing is, the course design has been consistently good throughout the entire series. IMHO the RR7 courses are not nearly as interesting as the RR6 courses but they're still okay. I was floored when I first saw RR6 and realized that every course besides Downtown Rave City was new. And...fancy that, they all came on the disc!

in the future people will dig up games like RR6 as rare fossils to be treasured ....

... next year :(

Ugh. Why did I go play the PSP version this morning? The single player presentation and frame rate are so much better. I got the UMD version on sale and I never really played it. I kinda wish I didn't have it so I can justify buying the PSN copy. Sigh. Is 60FPS too much to ask in a racer?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
in the future people will dig up games like RR6 as rare fossils to be treasured ....

... next year :(
I've always appreciated RR6, but RR7 is basically RR6+ in that it includes all of its content plus some additional tracks. It's a better package overall.

I put a good 40 hours into RR6, though. It's a hell of a game.

Wonko_C

Ouch. You can actually LEVEL DOWN in this game, I couldn't beat a LV5 ghost (always by 1 second) 4 times in a row I went back to LV4. :((((((

Add me for some ghost racing, PSN Id on my profile.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a shame they didn't just put that demo as a title sequence for the full game. It would make much more sense than to have it just as a separate demo.

Bumhead

Banned
I still kind of want this.

When I think about how Ridge Racer is being described here, I think about how I play Mario Kart 7. Yes that game has a single player, but beyond the first week after I bought the game I've not touched. The rest of the time, I dive straight into the "Mario Kart Channel" and race the Spotpass and Streepass ghosts, then if I have time race a few times with folks online. They're the only modes I ever play on that game, and I love it.

My perception of how Ridge Racer is being described here sounds very similar to that. Is that pretty much the jist of it? Honestly, I think for the sake of £17 that sounds like an OK deal to me.

Wazzim

Banned
Ouch. You can actually LEVEL DOWN in this game, I couldn't beat a LV5 ghost (always by 1 second) 4 times in a row I went back to LV4. :((((((

Add me for some ghost racing, PSN Id on my profile.

Added.

So I have heard that the US got 2 DLC tracks already? EU only has Old Central :/

KooPaL

Damn you DenoginnizerOS and AgentOtaku for making me want to buy this even though I never had an inkling in buying it prior. Can you guys both add me PSN: KooPaL- so I can race with the RR enthusiasts.

DenogginizerOS

I still kind of want this.

When I think about how Ridge Racer is being described here, I think about how I play Mario Kart 7. Yes that game has a single player, but beyond the first week after I bought the game I've not touched. The rest of the time, I dive straight into the "Mario Kart Channel" and race the Spotpass and Streepass ghosts, then if I have time race a few times with folks online. They're the only modes I ever play on that game, and I love it.

My perception of how Ridge Racer is being described here sounds very similar to that. Is that pretty much the jist of it? Honestly, I think for the sake of £17 that sounds like an OK deal to me.

Yes. I find the online racing I have played thus far has already paid for the $29.99 I paid. I will buy the next DLC and continue to support this. Best online racing experience I have had in years.

aaand bought both

me too. I hate myself for double dipping on the PSP version, and I hate myself for supporting this bare-bone content game.

That being said, this game is going to get the shit played out of it.

Yes. I find the online racing I have played thus far has already paid for the $29.99 I paid. I will buy the next DLC and continue to support this. Best online racing experience I have had in years.

I hope for this to be the case for me too.

Bumhead

Banned

I don't know if you work for Namco, but you probably should do, haha.

You've almost single handedly cost a man £17 of his own cash.

(although to be fair I have been considering this for a while, warts and all)

What's the deal with the Gold Pass? I'm trying to go retail only for my Vita so would certainly rather go down that route. If I buy the boxed game from, say, Amazon right now, does it come with a code for the Gold Pass, or will the content just appear as free to me in the PSN store?

DenogginizerOS

The retail version has a 12 digit PSN code printed out that you enter in the PSN store. I first inserted the cart, downloaded the patch, then I entered the code and downloaded the gold pass content that is available. There are two cars and one map coming later this month. Also, there is a ton of free music to download.

PSN: AgentOtaku

First impressions on RR Vita. IT'S PURRRTY and I love the UI actually. Very smooth.
Played one open match but only 2 people joined =/

RR PSP. First time i've played it and yeah, it's 60fps but I mean, it's still visually dated. Framerate only get's you so far and I definitely prefer the clarity of Vita. I do appreciate the obvious wealth of content though.

Always love the UI music in these games also. What would you call it?

For people who still think $29.99 is too much, do what I did and get the digital version. $24.99 seems like a pretty good price. It really isn't as light on content as you might think. Trying to level up in this game is no easy task.

And after playing the game awhile I see what the team was going for. Definitely a departure for Ridge Racer, but it kind of works. You can score "VIP points" online or off, but they give you online objectives which change everyday, depending on the faction you pick. You then play for that team throughout. It's kind of like Ridge Racer's version of MAG. A persistent tug of war. It's actually pretty cool.

Top Bottom