• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is it up in Japan? I don't think it's anywhere. It was released in Europe so there's no reason not to release it in all regions when they do.

im not sure, and although i kind of understand the reasoning, its kind of a shame that there was no us release. a digital alternative could make up for it.

It was a relaxing departure from the norm. From the music to the dreamlike yet cold colorscape it was amazing. And the stories. OMG so simple yet added so much to ridge racer. It was exactly what the series needed imo. Namco at it's finest. I mean the entire production was just something special. For me it still felt like ridge city too. Nothing past 5 has really felt like the ridge universe at all even tho namco keeps calling it that now.

You are so right :(

I could've lived with a game or two every gen built around the RRT4 base. But noooo.

RoylAsult

does anyone know if i can return this to amazon even though i used the gold pass?

the trade in value is 13.50 on amazon and i have it up for sale for 24$ to see if anyone bites but i doubt anyone will

RoylAsult

just returned it for credit, im pretty sure there is no way they can tell that i used the code unless they use it themselves and then.. .well it wouldnt work for anyone else lol

29.99 in credit, hello resident evil.

This game was such a huge let down. Its a great racing game but there is nothing to do in it... Ill just wait till i can find it for 5$ in a few weeks or so

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
just returned it for credit, im pretty sure there is no way they can tell that i used the code unless they use it themselves and then.. .well it wouldnt work for anyone else lol

29.99 in credit, hello resident evil.

This game was such a huge let down. Its a great racing game but there is nothing to do in it... Ill just wait till i can find it for 5$ in a few weeks or so

How did you get $29.99 in credit? That's trade in value?

Or did you return the game somehow? I thought opened games can't be returned

RoylAsult

shit... i didnt realize that and i already sent it out... i said it was defective. would that matter?

EDIT: 2 minutes in a chat with amazon and everything has been resolved :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You know what would be cool? Riidge Racer gameplay and physics, with perfectly aesthetically realistic cars. And crazy ass Ridge Racer concepts too.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You sir are so wrong. It's outdated, but it oozes character.

oozing character doesnt add up to fun. which it isnt anymore. the series has evolved far past the original with just the sequel.

You know what would be cool? Riidge Racer gameplay and physics, with perfectly aesthetically realistic cars. And crazy ass Ridge Racer concepts too.

i really want a lot more concepts in the next ridge racer game. and a story mode closer to type 4(the only thing ill ask for when it comes to type 4)

yurinka

I got a €50 gift card and I'm not sure if to spend it in this game. I already have Wipeout 2048, Uncharted, Lumines, Escape Plan and Motorstorm.

I'm a Ridge Racer die-hard fan since the PS1 days. Played the original one a lot of times in the arcades. Loved the PSP games. I have even the PS2 and PS3 RR games.

Is its framerate as bad as in the demo available in the prelaunch kiosks (it affected the gameplay)? Does the European retail version include the gold code? Does this code include new cars and tracks? I don't want a story mode, I wan RR-like fun.

Been resisting the temptation to buy this game for a while now. Love me some Ridge Racer but lack of content is a killer. Hopefully it will drop to sub-£10 sooner rather than later and enough Dlc will come out to make it almost resemble a game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This was my most played game this weekend. I had some phenomenal racing experiences with people from all over the world. I think Namco is wrong for giving so little content to people who have bought this game on release, and I hope they consider the reviews going forward. However, I can't deny I am thoroughly entertained by what they did provide. I do get the feeling they are just starving those who love their games so when they do release something, ravenous fans who bought in will buy more. Yes, Scamco indeed, but I can't deny I may buy a few tracks. Kill me now.

OverHeat

« generous god »
This was my most played game this weekend. I had some phenomenal racing experiences with people from all over the world. I think Namco is wrong for giving so little content to people who have bought this game on release, and I hope they consider the reviews going forward. However, I can't deny I am thoroughly entertained by what they did provide. I do get the feeling they are just starving those who love their games so when they do release something, ravenous fans who bought in will buy more. Yes, Scamco indeed, but I can't deny I may buy a few tracks. Kill me now.

Can't wait to buy it on psn tomorrow.

Nice to see someone weighing the game on its merits as well as its shortcomings... Personally, I think the outcry against RRVita has been a little histrionic. I paid $50 for the original Playstation RR and it had only ONE track; I still loved the game and played it to death, and RR will always be welcomed as one of my launch purchases because of it...

DenogginizerOS

Nice to see someone weighing the game on its merits as well as its shortcomings... Personally, I think the outcry against RRVita has been a little histrionic. I paid $50 for the original Playstation RR and it had only ONE track; I still loved the game and played it to death, and RR will always be welcomed as one of my launch purchases because of it...
I agree. When I look at all the games I have bought for the Vita launch, Ridge Racer is one of the tops for me in the area of pure enjoyment in gameplay. People could trade in something like Uncharted in towards Ridge Racer and have a game that will continue to provide enjoyable gameplay experiences for months to come or they could keep Uncharted and replay the same levels looking for treasures. To me, Ridge Racer is the better overall value, and yet Uncharted gets all the praise.

krae_man

I can't wait to download this later on tonight Who am I kidding, Grace won't update the store before I go to bed.

Yup, but I think it's justified. If this game was released at $9.99 (or anything less than $20) it would be a much different story.

Except in the end the game will probably more content and cost less then the 3DS version which didn't get panned anywhere near as much.

My copy is coming in from Amazon today, I'm pretty excited. I wasn't expecting to get a Vita until probably around Christmas, but I unexpectedly got one for my birthday yesterday. This is pretty much the only Vita game I am interested in right now. I've read all the complaints, but I love Ridge Racer and as long as the frame rate issue was fixed I know I'll get tons of enjoyment out of this.

DenogginizerOS

It should be noted: online races have been lag free even when players from Japan, Great Britain, and the US are in the same lobby/race. With the touch screen emoticons, the sportsmanship and quality of competition was a breath of fresh air in an online world dominated by people who only care about belittling their competion

Argyle

This is an incredibly shitty game to play on an airplane with no net connection.

Also, I have not been able to play at all online (only one lobby in my skill level, dropped when the race started), but note that I am currently in Hawaii and the game was not out in the US yet, so I am pretty much geographically far from everyone else right now.

DenogginizerOS

This is an incredibly shitty game to play on an airplane with no net connection.

Also, I have not been able to play at all online (only one lobby in my skill level, dropped when the race started), but note that I am currently in Hawaii and the game was not out in the US yet, so I am pretty much geographically far from everyone else right now.

I am in the Eastern US and raced all weekend against people as far away as Japan and Australia.

Bumhead

Banned
Have Namco said anymore about DLC beyond the extra free tracks and cars with the Gold pass?

If they announce some more free DLC on top of the stuff already planned, I'd probably pick this up at the £17 it's going for on the UK PSN.

DenogginizerOS

Have Namco said anymore about DLC beyond the extra free tracks and cars with the Gold pass?

If they announce some more free DLC on top of the stuff already planned, I'd probably pick this up at the £17 it's going for on the UK PSN.

There is a Silver Pass coming but pricing and content has not been announced. There are some overpriced skins for cars that are also coming. But this is Namco we are talking about. Free stuff is not in their DNA.

Argyle

I am in the Eastern US and raced all weekend against people as far away as Japan and Australia.

I can't even speak to lag because the game dropped before I got to play. Could be a problem with the router here, it's not mine so I am not going to spend any time troubleshooting it.

I agree. When I look at all the games I have bought for the Vita launch, Ridge Racer is one of the tops for me in the area of pure enjoyment in gameplay. People could trade in something like Uncharted in towards Ridge Racer and have a game that will continue to provide enjoyable gameplay experiences for months to come or they could keep Uncharted and replay the same levels looking for treasures. To me, Ridge Racer is the better overall value, and yet Uncharted gets all the praise.
ya, I was playing my PSP Ridge Racer just last week - and that was a launch game... I know I'll get my $$$ worth out of the game on Vita....

B-Dex

DLing it from the Vita store now. Do I need to download the gold pass content separately? It's all free now.

DLing it from the Vita store now. Do I need to download the gold pass content separately? It's all free now.

Yup. I love how the music packs once added to cart have to unpack into separate downloads.
An6ARLpCQAUj0k9.jpg

I've entered the DLC slipstream! I hope to get out of it by midnight >_<

I'm using the content manager to reorganize stuff in my Vita "refrigerator" now... Amazing how fast space runs out. I Will definitely be buying a bigger memory card next week.

Ardenyal

The level system seems fundamentally broken and just kills any fun you could have with this game. The upgrades give way too much advantage over people who have put less time into the game, I was losing 15 seconds a lap against this one guy who I found through the "same level lobbies" search.

So unless you're ready to commit to the grind, just stick with the ghost races...

DenogginizerOS

The level system seems fundamentally broken and just kills any fun you could have with this game. The upgrades give way too much advantage over people who have put less time into the game, I was losing 15 seconds a lap against this one guy who I found through the "same level lobbies" search.

So unless you're ready to commit to the grind, just stick with the ghost races...

Or he was really good?

Ardenyal

Or he was really good?

I don't know how I could have kept up with him any better. Wasn't hitting any walls, drifted around corners without losing too much speed and picked nice straights to use my nitrous... What else is there to this game that i'm not mastering? If there is a secret sauce to success then the game is doing a pretty good job of not telling me what that is.

I'm still downloading but does the game have the same nitrous charge system from the last couple games? I remember racing against people online who knew how to charge it up so well that I would get lapped even though I was driving "perfect".

DenogginizerOS

I don't know how I could have kept up with him any better. Wasn't hitting any walls, drifted around corners without losing too much speed and picked nice straights to use my nitrous... What else is there to this game that i'm not mastering? If there is a secret sauce to success then the game is doing a pretty good job of not telling me what that is.

Not sure. I have had close races every time.

krae_man

I'm still downloading but does the game have the same nitrous charge system from the last couple games? I remember racing against people online who knew how to charge it up so well that I would get lapped even though I was driving "perfect".

You need to prefect the reverse nitro charge. You can charge up 3 nitros in one drift if done correctly. You can't screw up though because if your nitro ends before you've gained another one, you're stuck without nitros for the rest of the race.

Ardenyal

Not sure. I have had close races every time.

Gave it one more shot and I did manage to find someone on same level and using the same car. We had a tight race and I managed my first win.

I still think that they are spreading the player base too thin if levels/upgrades really make that big of a difference. In most games with leveling mechanics the competitive advantage is fairly marginal compared to this.

Wasn't planning on getting this, but I had $5 sitting in my PSN wallet so it basically came out to $20. Currently downloading the cavalcade of DLC then it is time for RIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRR.

steveovig

I just got my game today and so far I'm pleased with it. The trophies should add to the replay value. Sure, it could have more content but it was only $30 and I'm satisfied.

B-Dex

Great now I am just getting an error that says I can't download anymore right now try again later.............

Edit: Figured it out! Had to launch the game to install the dlc to clear the download list....

Top Bottom