• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gave it one more shot and I did manage to find someone on same level and using the same car. We had a tight race and I managed my first win.

I still think that they are spreading the player base too thin if levels/upgrades really make that big of a difference. In most games with leveling mechanics the competitive advantage is fairly marginal compared to this.

I am LVL 7 and beat a LVL 10 on Highland Cliffs (after several tries). It was immensely satisfying.

I don't understand. I thought we were getting 3 courses free? All I see are 2 courses, a lot of music, and a few cars. But the Gold Pass which is $7.49 has all the free stuff plus the Lost Ruins course. So basically Lost Ruins is $7.49???

DenogginizerOS

NOTE: Spot Races count towards your Level and award credits just like online races. You do not have to grind online to gain points. Spot races are very competitive and are on par with the Single Player campaign races. Thus, this game essentially has a giant campaign mode which is competing against other factions online, competing against your own level offline, and having time trials that can be uploaded to Near or a global leader board that Friends can download and compete against.

Desty

Banned
This is terrible. I knew it would be rough from the posts and reviews but I can't get past the lack of career progression. They can offer all the free music they want but it won't make this game anything like the previous Ridge Racers. I can't remember feeling this ripped off from a game. So disappointed.

I'm lost now, too. Gold Pass, I thought, was for 3 tracks and five cars. Lost ruins comes out on 29th
Ok, I get it now. Gold pass comes with the game and is only $7.49 if you buy the retail game used. But some of the content doesn't come out until the end of the month so we'll get it free then. Like Lost Ruins.

DenogginizerOS

This is terrible. I knew it would be rough from the posts and reviews but I can't get past the lack of career progression. They can offer all the free music they want but it won't make this game anything like the previous Ridge Racers. I can't remember feeling this ripped off from a game. So disappointed.

Spot Races are like career mode. It adds to your cars which you then can race online.

DenogginizerOS

So, this game is basically one big campaign mode that melds both online and offline races into a unified experience of leveling up your abilities while taking on competing factions. New objectives are assigned every 24 hours in this "planetary league" where beating opposing teams and Ghosts yields bonus credits and victory points.

This also has ad-hoc racing allowing you to wirelessly compete against other vita owners nearby.

Do they start you off with under-powered cars and then you have to either tune them up or buy better vehicles? The reason I ask is I won my first race but then immediately struggled on the second. I've never lost a race so early in a RR game before.

DenogginizerOS

Do they start you off with under-powered cars and then you have to either tune them up or buy better vehicles? The reason I ask is I won my first race but then immediately struggled on the second. I've never lost a race so early in a RR game before.

All your vehicles upgrade when you tune. You have to spend credits in the garage to upgrade.

I strongly urge people to read the manual.

Great now I am just getting an error that says I can't download anymore right now try again later.............

Edit: Figured it out! Had to launch the game to install the dlc to clear the download list....
Thank you! I thought I had reached some sort of daily PSN download ceiling!

I like how connected everything in the game feels, even if you aren't doing straight up online races. I think the progression systems seems pretty cool too, basically just doing whatever suits your fancy, and you are always earning credits to upgrade your cars and XP to level up. For the amount I paid to get it off of PSN, I really don't feel ripped off at all.

DenogginizerOS

Another great feature ignored by critics: Ghosts

Every time you race a ghost (of a Friend or from a huge, growing list of online scores) and beat it, a written history is kept. All ghosts start out as a 0G. When you beat a 0G ghost time, your time is added to the list and becomes a 1G ghost. If someone beats that, their score is posted on the list and the ghost becomes a 2G. With access to literally hundreds of ghosts from around the world, the gameplay for this feature alone is virtually limitless. Points acquired go towards upgrading your car and if you beat the ghost of a rival faction, you get bonuses.

PS. MonkeyofDoom, I just obliterated your ghost. :D

DenogginizerOS

Damn, the turn of love in this thread is making me interested again.

Any fan of Ridge Racer who listened to the chowderheads who obliterated this game based on an IGN review or the perceived value of 6 tracks and 10 cars is truly missing out.

Just based on the incredible online races I have competed in, this is easily the most fun I have had thus far compared to the 11 other games I have. Like I said a few days ago, this could be the Vita's Chromehounds.

whitehawk

Banned
Are they fucking joking with this demo? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Let me guess, they were worried that 1 track and 1 car in the demo would be about 30% of the game which is too much to put in a demo.

Bah. So to everyone who has the game, would you recommend it for $24.99? I'm desperate for a racer on my Vita, and I'm not a Wipeout fan.

Let me guess, they were worried that 1 track and 1 car in the demo would be about 30% of the game which is too much to put in a demo.

Bah. So to everyone who has the game, would you recommend it for $24.99? I'm desperate for a racer on my Vita, and I'm not a Wipeout fan.

i just bought it, it's fun so far.

NO I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING INCLUDE THIS PURCHASE AS AN ACTIVITY SONY.

Jesus. Downloading this music has been the biggest pain in the ass involving any video game system ever invented. Holy fuck.

DenogginizerOS

Read my posts above. As long as you are online and willing to race and compete with racers, friends' ghosts, and world leading ghosts, this game is racing bliss.

It took me a few minutes. :/
Bullshit. 15 to 16 music packs in a few minutes? Bullshit. Regardless of download speeds, and I have fucking blazing internet, just setting these packs up to download and install as 15 or 16 painstakingly separate transactions is nothing worse than agonizing. Horrible horrible interface.

DenogginizerOS

Bullshit. 15 to 16 music packs in a few minutes? Bullshit. Regardless of download speeds, and I have fucking blazing internet, just setting these packs up to download and install as 15 or 16 painstakingly separate transactions is nothing worse than agonizing. Horrible horrible interface.

I was referring to the gold pass.

You sound like you have a problem with PSN, not Ridge Racer per se.

Everything revolving around this game is terrible. The bare bones release bolstered by a DLC pack. No career mode. And then downloading and installing each piece of DLC (especially the godddddddddamnnnnnnn music) takes forever. And then you search everywhere for the third dlc track, using search and doing all sorts of stupid stuff, only to find out it's not released yet.

But... once you get into the game, even if it's just a quick race against the AI, but especially if you like time trials vs ghosts or online play... man, it's really good. Easily worth the $25 and the frustration.

It didn't have to be this hard, namco. But we're cool. For now.

I have a question about ghost data. I looked in the manual, but I may have missed it. After I finish a time attack race, if I hit upload, is my ghost automatically sent? Or do I have to save the ghost and then upload? I was trying find some ghosts around my level but it seems like hardly any of the people on the leaderboards have ghosts uploaded so I'm just wondering if I'm sharing mine correctly.

Edit: Nevermind... I'm a doofus. Supposed to be in Ghost Battle mode...

I was referring to the gold pass.

You sound like you have a problem with PSN, not Ridge Racer per se.
I wasn't talking about the Gold pass, I was talking about the music downloads. There are roughly 15 of them.

And it's not PSN that's the problem per se, but:

1) Namco for splitting up this music into 15 downloads/installations
2) Sony for not designing the Vita to check some boxes that say "download all this shit so I can move on with my life" and again Sony for asking me if I want to share my downloads on Near as a fucking activity. So fucking stupid.

3) Can you tell I'm a little annoyed at this point?

aparisi2274

WORST. DEMO. EVER.

I love at the end they say "Thanks for the playing the Ridge Racer Demo" Really Namco? I don't remember playing anything, so how can you Thank me?

Whatever little bit of interest I had in this game just went out the window with that demo!

DenogginizerOS

WORST. DEMO. EVER.

I love at the end they say "Thanks for the playing the Ridge Racer Demo" Really Namco? I don't remember playing anything, so how can you Thank me?

Whatever little bit of interest I had in this game just went out the window with that demo!

If you have played Ridge Racer 7 online, the Vita version is remarkably similar in experience.

thirty

Banned
Lol I'm pretty sure it's the wrong demo they put up. It's the tech demo from e3. Japan and Europe have the full demo.

whitehawk

Banned
Lol I'm pretty sure it's the wrong demo they put up. It's the tech demo from e3. Japan and Europe have the full demo.
Seriously? lol how do you mess that up.

The tech demo is cool, but it's not what I wanted to play.

Is the interactive demo in the full game? If not I'll keep this demo forever lol.

edit: just bought the game because I am Namcos bitch. I can't resist Ridge Racer.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Awesome game so glad I bought it..but Im a little let down by the graphics was expecting a carbon copy of RR7

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Any fan of Ridge Racer who listened to the chowderheads who obliterated this game based on an IGN review or the perceived value of 6 tracks and 10 cars is truly missing out.

Just based on the incredible online races I have competed in, this is easily the most fun I have had thus far compared to the 11 other games I have. Like I said a few days ago, this could be the Vita's Chromehounds.
its the 3 tracks and 5 cars thing that threw me. When people started saying that asphalt was the better deal, I knew that I should start throwing certain opinions out the window.

The racing seems a bit different in this game. Normally in a RR title, you start in 12th place and periodically move your way up to first. In this, the pack is right there where you start and you don't gradually make your way up as you do battle it out with the pack and try to break free. It's a subtle difference I guess and I'm not necessarily calling it a bad decision, I just have to get used to it and adjust.

Hawk269

Sorry..but it is your own fault. This has been discussed since the day the game was known to have extremely little content, yet still have a high price. Many called it the most expensive demo instead of a full game due to the lack of content.

RR was the game when the Vita was first announced that I wanted the most since I love racing games and RR on PSP on launch was simply amazing!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ridge Racers on PSP is 14.99 and has 50 cars, 24 tracks, career or world tour, 8p ad hoc, 60fps, and ad hoc party support. I just bought it out of disappointment as I need my street racing fix and can't justify paying more than 5-10 for the Vita version in its current form.

Desty

Banned
Sorry..but it is your own fault. This has been discussed since the day the game was known to have extremely little content, yet still have a high price. Many called it the most expensive demo instead of a full game due to the lack of content.

RR was the game when the Vita was first announced that I wanted the most since I love racing games and RR on PSP on launch was simply amazing!

Same with me. I bought the Vita since I was anticipating the triumphant return of Ridge Racer. I downloaded Ridge Racer PSP before the Vita version came out in America so I am glad that I got a chance to experience that.

Maaaaybe they can DLC in some career offering or some progression to unlock a Crinale or Angelus at some point. Well, I can dream :)

However, I must say the game looks gorgeous. Looks like antialiasing is going on as well.

Well... Almost 5 hours later I have to say I'm happy with my purchase. Ghost battle and online alone justifies the purchase price for me. I wish that I could save the replays of online races! My heart has been thumping and I need to take a break. So many insane photo finishes. I'm liking the visuals, I don't mind the 30 fps because R4 was also 30 fps and silky smooth like this. The soundtrack (non-DLC) is great imo. Earlier, someone said they wished sanodG was composing more, but the one new track he has on here is fantastic. I love the slick menus (Reiko has some pretty feet LOL).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Ridge Racers on PSP is 14.99 and has 50 cars, 24 tracks, career or world tour, 8p ad hoc, 60fps, and ad hoc party support. I just bought it out of disappointment as I need my street racing fix and can't justify paying more than 5-10 for the Vita version in its current form.

Don't buy Ridge Racer PSP on the store. It's plagued with micro stutter every few seconds without exception. It's due to the compression used, apparently.

whitehawk

Banned
So I've played it for a bit now. Overall I'm not happy with my purchase. The online mode is pretty awesome, and I've barely touched it. Racing is pretty much what you expect. The main thing I'm disappointed in is that it is 30fps. 60fps adds so much to the experience, and I hope they somehow have an update that bumps it to 60fps (even though I know this won't happen). Native res would be nice too, but I can deal with that.

Also, couldn't they at least let us play the tracks in reverse? It would barely take any work on their end.

Also as stated before, downloading the music tracks is an awful process. I've only download 3 packs so far because of this.

And last, they need to fix one more thing. When I press home and play some of my own music, then go back to RR, both my custom music AND the RR music continue to play. I have to press start and manually turn off the RR music. It shouldn't work this way...
Don't buy Ridge Racer PSP on the store. It's plagued with micro stutter every few seconds without exception. It's due to the compression used, apparently.
Really? Pooh :(

I remember it doing that when it first came out, but I just played it on Vita a couple nights ago and the stutter was gone. I'll test it on my PSP 3000 later and see if it still does it there.

thirty

Banned
Did some searching on YouTube and the demo in Japan was the same. WHAT THE EFFF!!!!!! SERIOUSLY???? this is really the demo? Wow. Just wow. Also, I haven't noticed any stutter on the psp version.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I remember it doing that when it first came out, but I just played it on Vita a couple nights ago and the stutter was gone. I'll test it on my PSP 3000 later and see if it still does it there.

I can't imagine they just recently posted a new dump of the game on the store or that the Vita magically removes the stutter, but if so then awesome.

Top Bottom