• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

thirty

Banned
OMG THE MUSIC SHIFTS INTO HIGH GEAR AS THE ENGINE REVS UP!!! :suicide thanks namco for this free demo. I'll wait until amazon drops the price of the pay demo to $10 now. I cannot believe this shit. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING? this whole thing is a disaster.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The main thing I'm disappointed in is that it is 30fps. 60fps adds so much to the experience, and I hope they somehow have an update that bumps it to 60fps (even though I know this won't happen). Native res would be nice too, but I can deal with that.

I bet you anything it has to do with the filter they use for it. Just give me my crisp colorful graphics like RR7 please.

Also, couldn't they at least let us play the tracks in reverse? It would barely take any work on their end.
Well uh, you can.

I can't imagine they just recently posted a new dump of the game on the store or that the Vita magically removes the stutter, but if so then awesome.

Just played a quick race on the PSP 3000 with the latest firmware. No stutter. Then I suddenly remembered I actually have 6.60 Pro B10 installed. So my clock speed is set to 333mhz. I changed it back to the default 266mhz and guess what? That stutter came back! XD

So it seems the Vita emulates PSP games at 333mhz since Ridge Racer runs smooth as butter on it.

Just played a quick race on the PSP 3000 with the latest firmware. No stutter. Then I suddenly remembered I actually have 6.60 Pro B10 installed. So my clock speed is set to 333mhz. I changed it back to the default 266mhz and guess what? That stutter came back! XD

So it seems the Vita emulates PSP games at 333mhz since Ridge Racer runs smooth as butter on it.

Well there you go. Everyone buy Ridge Racer PSP!!

How big is the file?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

I'll test this out later on mine, but thanks for the info.

madmackem

Got made a daily vip team member with a nice 1000 cr bonus woot.
An7qCFBCIAAsRhC.jpg

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Ridge Racers on PSP is 14.99 and has 50 cars, 24 tracks, career or world tour, 8p ad hoc, 60fps, and ad hoc party support. I just bought it out of disappointment as I need my street racing fix and can't justify paying more than 5-10 for the Vita version in its current form.

Online racing with Vita trumps all that for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't buy Ridge Racer PSP on the store. It's plagued with micro stutter every few seconds without exception. It's due to the compression used, apparently.

Interesting. It seemed to be smooth and definitely 60. I've noticed micro stuttering on PC but here on the Vita, it's great. Has this been a known issue with the PSN version on PSP or is this on Vita too? It was super smooth for me, that's why I ask.

RoylAsult

think im just going to buy the psp version out of disappointment as well. anyone have any comparison shots? im just curious how much better it looks

DenogginizerOS

SAN JOSE, Calif., (March 13th, 2012) – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced RIDGE RACER® is now available in North America for the PlayStation®Vita system. The classic series is reborn as a glorious, high-definition handheld online experience that will keep fans racing across the finish line in a global competition to be the world’s best racer.

In RIDGE RACER® for the PlayStation®Vita system, players will experience the stunning graphics that utilize the full power of PS®Vita alongside dynamic audio and white-knuckle races against players from all over the world. Players will also be amazed by the sheer unbeatable thrill and satisfaction of conquering a tight corner at hair-raising speed with their new console in hand. Along with the full game’s release, an exclusive application for the PlayStation®Vita system will also be available for free to download featuring an interactive audio and video experience that will give fans a unique taste of this bold and glimmering entry into the RIDGE RACER® world.

“For nearly two decades, RIDGE RACER® has been one of the most thrilling, high-speed racing franchises in video games,” said Carlson Choi, VP of Marketing for NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “Today, with the series’ debut on the all-new PlayStation®Vita in North America, fans will be able to enjoy the next level of excitement in this longtime gaming tradition, along with free access to a host of premium additional downloadable content while supplies last for gamers that can’t wait to get behind the wheel.”

At launch and while supplies last, fans who buy the retail version of RIDGE RACER® for PS®Vita will find a code inside the box for a free RIDGE RACER Gold Pass which allows fans to download a wealth of extra premium DLC content completely for free. The same Gold Pass is also available to all fans who purchase the digital version of the game on PlayStation®Network no later than April 30th, 2012. It will also be available for purchase on the PlayStation®Store for $7.49 for all other players to enjoy. The RIDGE RACER Gold Pass will let players download the following DLC content as soon as they become available after the game’s launch.

• Five additional machines: PROMESSA, ELENIE, DIGNISTAR, FATALITA and MELTFIRE

• Three additional courses: Old Central, Sunset Heights and Lost Ruins

• Two music tracks: NEW SONGS PACK 01

• One new extended music mix: LONG MIX BGM 01

Later this Spring, players still looking for more content will be able to purchase the RIDGE RACER Silver Pass which gives access to an additional three machines, three courses, and other BGM packs available for the unbeatable value price of $6.99.

• Three additional machines: RC410, EVOLVER, WISDOM

• Three additional courses: Oceanfront Cruise Way, Redstone Thunder Road, Silver Mountain Skyway

• Two music tracks: NEW SONGS PACK 02

• One extended music mix: LONG MIX BGM 02

AwRy108

Sorry..but it is your own fault. This has been discussed since the day the game was known to have extremely little content, yet still have a high price. Many called it the most expensive demo instead of a full game due to the lack of content.

Shame on you.

DenogginizerOS

When I judge a racing game, my number one priority for enjoyment is the thrill I get while racing. The heart-pounding thrill of high-speed precision being a split-second away from finishing behind the person chasing me is pretty rare nowadays. In fact, I think the last time I genuinely felt that kind of thrill was with Moto GP on the Xbox in 2006. Until now. Ridge Racer for the Vita has come along and scratched an itch I have been having for quite a while. Despite the track number being lower than average releases, they are all quite good (and pretty much unique in Reverse). Despite the car number being low, the game has a very accesible garage that allows you to upgrade and paint these cars in very unique ways thus giving you plenty of ways to express yourself. The online racing against people from all over the world has been relatively devoid of connection issues (a fact that is overlooked when you consider most games nowadays with an online focus are plagued at launch with a myriad of issues). So, while it is not a typical entry in the series, it does do an excellent job in providing a racing experience that few have matched recently. And considering I have already logged close to 9 hours in gameplay since last Friday, it has become my most played, most enjoyed Vita game (and I own 12 games).

krae_man

Okay, how do you access the gold pass content? I downloaded the game on the store and I have the gold pass in my services list but I can only access 3 tracks and 5 cars in game.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I have the red "You purchased this" icon next to the gold pass on the store but the download button isn't there like it is for the game itself.

you don't need to download the pass, just the individual items.

legbone

man i really want this. lack of true campaign is the only thing stopping me. gaaah! must resist love of ridge racer.

DenogginizerOS

man i really want this. lack of true campaign is the only thing stopping me. gaaah! must resist love of ridge racer.

The "Planetary League" combined with the interconnectedness of Online Race results, Ghost Race results, Spot Race results, and the upgrade options you buy give this game an almost MMORPG campaign experience. As others have said, if you can't play this game online, don't buy it, but buy the PSP version. However, if you have access to WiFi, you may find a lot here to love.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't buy Ridge Racer PSP on the store. It's plagued with micro stutter every few seconds without exception. It's due to the compression used, apparently.

Just to reiterate on this as I played it some more now. No slowdown, smooth 60fps with no stuttering. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the DD version running on PSP but on Vita, it's perfect. The only thing it lacks is AA but this is a launch PSP game we're talking about. Other than that, yeah, it's awesome. 50 cars, 24 tracks, a proper career mode, more music, more modes, 8p ad hoc with adhoc party support, and it's a solid 60fps. On the OLED screen there is no ghosting which I remember practically every PSP game having. Not that it stopped me from acing every race like I did back on PSP launch.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money but RR PSP is also only 15 dollars while you're paying as little as 25 for what I would almost classify as a demo if there was one for RR PSP. I mean the RR Vita release would almost qualify as the demo for the PSP version. I think that says it right ><

I'm glad that the free content is coming but it's paltry. If folks are still going to buy it then that's fine. I am glad that it's been rated down because frankly, the whole release has been handled so poorly and not fitting for a flagship Ridge Racer game. The demo was insult to injury.

DenogginizerOS

Now that I think about it, for $40, I can have Ridge Racer PSP for an offline experience, and RR Vita for an online/offline experience. Tempting....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Crap man, that demo is fantastic piece of work, and you guys are just jerks (OK, admittedly, Namco are dumb for making people think the interactive piece of art is a demo for a game)

Does the full game have the music from the demo? If so, I'm buying it. Love that music to pieces.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So with the game being the size of a generous demo( actually I think ME3 demo might have more stuff to do in sp and mp), what's on the demo?

The demo is more like a scene demo with some interaction. It's a sequence of scenes synchronized to a music, and you can 'mix' the music and the visuals with swiping. It's not a demo for a game, it's more like something "The Bullet" interactive demo that was made for KZ2.

OSHAN

How many damn VP points does it take to level past 10? I'm at 45 or something and still no advancment. Anyone have a chart?

Wonko_C

Later this Spring, players still looking for more content will be able to purchase the RIDGE RACER Silver Pass which gives access to an additional three machines, three courses, and other BGM packs available for the unbeatable value price of $6.99.

• Three additional machines: RC410, EVOLVER, WISDOM

• Three additional courses: Oceanfront Cruise Way, Redstone Thunder Road, Silver Mountain Skyway

• Two music tracks: NEW SONGS PACK 02

• One extended music mix: LONG MIX BGM 02

Hopefully they keep this pattern of releasing "passes". A trio of cars and tracks with some new music added in for $7 is more enticing to me than buying individual tracks or cars for possibly more money. If the game tops at $50 total with subsequent packs and ends up with at least 15 reversible tracks then it'll be just like any other full-fledged game, just released in bite-sized chunks. (Wipeout 2048 has only 10 tracks, they're not reversible and no one felt ripped off with that game, and for good reason: it's damn great.)

I normally hate pre-planned DLC but I'm kinda liking this business model when done right. The Mexican version of Starcraft 2 pulled off something slightly similar: Pay less than half of the game to play it for 6 months, then if you want to keep playing pay the rest. Super Stardust Delta is another good example: I didn't pay for the full $15 pack but I think I got my money's worth as it is. I feel the same way about Ridge Racer, except I'm planning on buying subsequent passes if they're priced right. (Bronze pass next? hehe)

PSYGN

Kinda OT, but I really like the design of the car on the cover. It looks like a fusion between Audi R8 (mainly back side) and Ferrari Modena. Is there an actual car design that looks really similar to it?

Miburou

I found downloading the music via PS3 to be less painful. Either way, for 62 music tracks, I guess it's worth it. Even with the silver pass, the game is $32 for 9 tracks, 13 cars and a truckload of music tracks.

I don't care much for a proper campaign mode, and in fact find the online and ghost modes to be actually more exciting, so I'm pretty content with the game.

SmokyDave

The demo is more like a scene demo with some interaction. It's a sequence of scenes synchronized to a music, and you can 'mix' the music and the visuals with swiping. It's not a demo for a game, it's more like something "The Bullet" interactive demo that was made for KZ2.

I really hope this ends up on the EU store, it sounds awesome.

I reckon I'm going to crack and buy the game. I don't approve of the structure particularly but I need me some Ridge Racer.

DenogginizerOS

At least Wipeout had new courses, and it is still 5 more courses than RR, and that's with the gold pass. I've played the shit out of these courses already. I can't believe people are defending this business model.

I find the quality of racing supersedes the fact these are old courses. I still love to watch F1 races at the same old tracks because what happens on them is what matters most.

Hawk269

Shame on you.

lol..why?

I am not saying that it is still a fun game, especially on-line, but those that bought the game and then realized "after" that there really is no single player campaign and there are only 3 tracks is there own fault for not looking into it.

I know some swear how "fun" the on-line is and while I agree that the social aspect of playing a racing game on-line is fantastic (it is my favorite genre), the lack of tracks long term is severely dissapointing. To put it in a comparitive way, it is like saying a 1 on 1 on-line fighter is great online, but there are only 4 characters to choose from, when the average fighter has 16-24 and up characters.

Fun or not...anyone with a sense at all would agree that the supplied 3 tracks, plus the free 3 additional tracks for $30.00 is kind of a rip-off...then they announce a few more cars and 3 more tracks for "AN INCREDIBLE $6.99" is basically a slap in the face. That would bring the game to a total of 9 tracks, which still pales and even with 3 original tracks, 2 dlc packs bring a total of 9 tracks it still ranks as one of racings least feature pack games as far as tracks are concerned.

To put it into perspective...the original arcade Daytona USA had 3 tracks and how long ago was that?

Psy-Phi

Asking for new tracks in a Ridge game is odd to me. If you're a fan of Ridge Racer, you want the same old tracks, that's part of what makes up Ridge Racer.

The only thing I'm wary about on the Vita version is single player. I bought Ridge Racer twice on the PS1, with just a handful of tracks and a gaggle of cars. But doing the races, trying to get the White Angel/Black Devil car was exhilarating and kept me coming back.

Online races will be awesome, so I think I'm going to buy it, but really...I can't find any information on single player. Is there a grand prix option or does it not exist.

DenogginizerOS

Daytona USA is older and $10 on XBL. That gets you three tracks and a few cars. I think Ridge Racer Vita provides a better experience overall and with more DLC on the way, the pricing for the Vita version will turn out to be a better overall package.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Daytona USA is older and $10 on XBL. That gets you three tracks and a few cars. I think Ridge Racer provides a better experience than that so the pricing is good.

Daytona is a raw arcade game designed to be played as it is. Personally, I feel the structure of Ridge Racer's progression and grinding hurt it. But I'm not focused on playing online, so the quality of its online play wasn't a saving grace for me unfortunately.

Hawk269

In reading that press release they said that there would be 3 tracks available for DLC. I just checked and only 2 tracks are up. Where is the 3rd? Even though I distain the fact that for $30.00 it only has 3 tracks and then a code for 3 more and cars having to take up room on a memory card instead of it being on the cart as it should. But, I just got a $10.00 coupon from Best Buy and for $20.00 it is a bit more tolerable....just a bit though.

But any news on this "3rd track"? And am I correct in that the tracks are not in reverse mode? If so, here comes the amazing value "reverse mode" for only $6.99 DLC!

Xander51

The third track is coming in a couple of weeks. You can play the tracks in reverse mode already in Spot Races. Just click the little icon that looks like a circle with an arrow at the top of it when selecting a track.

I bought this last night and it is okay, but not spectacular. I like that you can remix the music a little in the saved replays with the rear touch, but it's not as fun as that crazy demo. If this had been any more expensive I'd be bummed out.

Top Bottom