• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Am I the only one who feels the aiming is fine? I'm playing on survior difficulity and have no problem taking headshots with my bow as I progress in a stealthy manner. Did you guys update your controller? There's a new update that came today with the major dashboard one, just a heads up.

Yes, I've updated my controller. The bow is fine when you're in stealth and every other weapon is useless for any sort of open combat except for the shotgun.

The aiming is absolutely dreadful in this game if you're in open combat. You kind of know which way the devs are directing you.

The game is absolutely wonderful though. Top 3 for me for sure.

Teggy

I thought I was coming up to the end of the game and there was a whole new area! They really did a good job with the game length, it feels right on.

That said, after getting through most of the last area, my confidence in doing a survivor run has gone down a bit LOL.

Kolgar

Started tonight. This is one of the best games of the generation so far.

Xbone doing some nice visuals too.

Really glad this game came through. It's a joy to play as Lara again.

Justinh

Yes, I've updated my controller. The bow is fine when you're in stealth and every other weapon is useless for any sort of open combat except for the shotgun.

The aiming is absolutely dreadful in this game if you're in open combat. You kind of know which way the devs are directing you.

The game is absolutely wonderful though. Top 3 for me for sure.

Eh, I don't think the aiming is that bad really. I think it felt way worse in the Definitive Edition.

I agree that this game is wonderful, though. Honestly, I didn't think I'd be liking it this much. I've even found myself playing it more than Fallout 4 since I got them.

Unless already mentioned...

You can unlock the explorer card pack if you read through "Lara's Wall" on this website:
http://discover-the-legend.xbox.com/fire.html
http://3m6ok5roj7q1lfxor15yilh164s-...ise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Explorer-Card-Pack.jpg

Send me back to Yamatai if old...

Thanks. I never heard the word "Experiential" before. I should read more books...

J_Viper

I expected the story to be hot garbage going off the first ten minutes or so, but ever since
Lara's capture and prison break
sequence, it's pulled a complete 180. Please tell me it maintains that upswing in quality.

The actual gameplay though, especially the set-pieces, have been excellent from the start. Dare I say, this may be my favorite action game since Max Payne 3.

I knew this game was gonna have solid visuals, but damn there Amazing. Everything about this games visuals are top notch. I remember some were saying this looked just like TR:DE. That could not be further from the truth. I'm pretty early in but the gameplay is deeper and tighter than before as well. Think I'm gonna have to finish this before going back to fallout.

Glad to see so many people are enjoying this game. Personally, I think this is one of the best games of this generation, and it's great to see people enjoying it for what it is, after all that bullshit it got for the timed exclusivity.

yeah put in 5 hours tonight and its really superb, the first ice area you get to is stupendously huge and visually magnificent. Really glad I ended up buying this, as people have said I am having a lot of fun here and putting off playing more Fallout so I can finish Tomb Raider.

I got the completionist card pack from the web site above.

I played about 4 hours and yeah, this game has lived up to the hype. CD make really good Tomb Raider games. I keep feeling like I'm playing TLOU. Kudos!

TheYanger

I expected the story to be hot garbage going off the first ten minutes or so, but ever since
sequence, it's pulled a complete 180. Please tell me it maintains that upswing in quality.

The actual gameplay though, especially the set-pieces, have been excellent from the start. Dare I say, this may be my favorite action game since Max Payne 3.

I would say it stays around there. The audio logs/diaries/etc add a LOT to the proceedings though. Really fleshes out a lot of the characters motivations etc.

dakini

Urgh, I have 25 of 26 documents in the Installation and there's nothing on the map :/

You won't be able to get everything the first go around. Later in the story you return to the Installation and will be able to get the other items.

Teggy

You won't be able to get everything the first go around. Later in the story you return to the Installation and will be able to get the other items.

Pretty sure I already did that part. I have every collectible there except for this one document.

Am I the only one who feels the aiming is fine?

I don't know how you could think that, especially at default settings. I did turn it all the way down for the last level and it helped a little, but it's still super loose with any gun. I didn't play TR:DE, I played the original, and don't remember this problem at all.

The story is hot garbage, but if you like it so far, it maintains that "quality." In quotes on purpose lol.

leng jai

Aiming in hectic firefights is simply atrocious in this game. It's the combination of input lag and FPS drops that makes it close to impossible to make fine aiming adjustments. It's particularly jarring when you compare it to how tight the controls were in TR 2013. I'm reserving final judgment on the PC version when it's running at 60fps, but right now on Xbone it's bad. Stealth gameplay the way to go right now, and luckily it's possible most of the time.

Hawk269

I knew this game was gonna have solid visuals, but damn there Amazing. Everything about this games visuals are top notch. I remember some were saying this looked just like TR:DE. That could not be further from the truth. I'm pretty early in but the gameplay is deeper and tighter than before as well. Think I'm gonna have to finish this before going back to fallout.

It is pretty impressive. There are some little things here and there if you are nit picker, but taken as a whole, it is pretty damn impressive, especially since it is on the Xbox One. The system is very good, but obviously it has it's challenges with the GPU they decided to put into it...with that said however, games like Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Ryse and few other really show what the system can do if enough time and effort goes into it. I am sure they had to work their assess off to pull it off, but it is worth it.

Like you, I have Fallout 4 as well and having a hard time going to that while having Tomb Raider as well.

Well damn, PS4 version gets delayed for a year? Thanks M$. I guess I'll have to settle for PC version. The game looks great from what I've seen on YouTube but I really shouldn't spoil myself too much. Loved the first game.

Aiming in hectic firefights is simply atrocious in this game. It's the combination of input lag and FPS drops that makes it close to impossible to make fine aiming adjustments. It's particularly jarring when you compare it to how tight the controls were in TR 2013. I'm reserving final judgment on the PC version when it's running at 60fps, but right now on Xbone it's bad. Stealth gameplay the way to go right now, and luckily it's possible most of the time.

The saving grace is there's very few encounters with large groups of enemies where you the aiming hurts you. I can almost count on one hand how many encounters there are, and most are at the end of the game. For the majority of the game, you can stay back and pick them off one by one, or sneak around and reduce the numbers. That's really why it didn't totally ruin the game for me.

JonnyKong

Is there a way of ever playing back the first area in the game? Before I left I still had a relic to find, then the cut scene started and before I knew it I was too late. There's no camp fire there so I couldn't go back.

I probably won't end up trying to 100% the game, I never do, but I like to try tell myself I am at the start of the game.

TheYanger

Well, just finished it, man what a fucking ride for the last bit. Game just keeps going when you think you're close, The last few 'action' setpieces really force you to use every traversal mechanic you've learned thusfar, it feels earned and satisfying to whip and jump and climb your way around shit by the end, the exact opposite of the TR2013/Uncharted style 'run through explosions' shit.

Downsides: One QTE in the game and I lost to it out of sheer disbelief that they were throwing one in out of nowhere. BOO CD...BOO. Framerate dips aren't really noticeable until near the end when there are just swarms of guys and shit going on, but it never gets unplayable. Last bit did make me glad I didn't crank the difficulty though.

Loved it. Final playtime as end credits roll right now is 15:15:10 (86% complete).

Is there a way of ever playing back the first area in the game? Before I left I still had a relic to find, then the cut scene started and before I knew it I was too late. There's no camp fire there so I couldn't go back.

I probably won't end up trying to 100% the game, I never do, but I like to try tell myself I am at the start of the game.
You can go everywhere again once you beat it, and only the intro place is inaccessible until then really. Nowhere else is cut off ever, even the 'action' parts, unlike the last game where they are just shut off forever, CD went back in and added some alternate paths when you revisit them. That said, it's easy to THINK you're stuck when you go back to those places because you try to go where you went the first time and hit a dead end, but with enough looking around I managed to find their alternate routes every time. If that doesn't work google will bring up the "IM IRREVERSIBLY STUCK" threads on their forums which all end in the OP sheepishly finding the new way out.

hawk2025

One QTE?

There are dozens. X's to grab ledges, Y's to counter, mash X to escape a foottrap. It happens all the time.

I think I might be nearing the end. I don't want it to end :(

Dr Dogg

Well I thought the couple of open playspaces I had encountered were of a reasonable size, not masses to explore or do but then I got the the Soviet Installation. Yeah that's a fair bit bigger. Starting to see what Brad mentioned in his review by 'Getting its Metroid on' as I'm encountering objects and paths where I need gear or upgrades to pass. Granted the previous title did too but Lara does make a note this time which I guess will help the player themselves make a mental note to come back here later when tooled up.

TheYanger

One QTE?

There are dozens. X's to grab ledges, Y's to counter, mash X to escape a foottrap. It happens all the time.

I think I might be nearing the end. I don't want it to end :(

A button having a specific action isn't a fucking QTE. Give me a break. They don't happen at predetermined intervals with a binary live/die aspect to them either. You can force the X to hold on prompt to show up on any jump in the game by making it poorly, sometimes it is scripted but since it's always the same button for the same action that exists within the game it isn't really a QTE in any normal sense even then. Counters? It's just showing you the timing window on doing them. They don't even happen if you don't take the talent for it and failing them does nothing but not let you get an instant kill. Also, foot traps don't happen all the time if you avoid them, none of the traps are canned sequences, they're all avoidable if you recognize that they're there. there's even a skill to light them up if you really need it, but you can identify them without.

So I redeemed the Sparrowhawk code on xbox.com, but I have no idea how to use it in the game. Little help?

It should show up in your ready to install under the game when you manage game. Mine didn't install automatically, then it's a pack you open in the market.

drotahorror

Regarding going underwater and upgrades -
when do you get the underwater breathing thing? I've come to a few areas that need it and want to get it asap

TheYanger

how is the general experience? how apparent are the frame rate drops?
You can notice it in some areas exploring, in combat it's only really noticeable near the end when they're throwing obscene amounts of enemies+ explosions at you. It's never really that bad though. Like, for example, if you run directly into the splash zone of a waterfall it'll drop noticeably, but you have no reason to do so and there's not going to be anything going on when you do something like that. 90% of the frame drops were situations like that where it was me doing something and having no effect.
Regarding going underwater and upgrades -
when do you get the underwater breathing thing? I've come to a few areas that need it and want to get it asap

The rebreather is one of the last upgrades you get, probably 75% through the game.

TheYanger

You are right, if we redefine what a QTE is, there are no QTEs.

No, if you define an action doing the exact same thing it does at all times during gameplay as being a 'qte' then you're the one redefining it. You're literally calling a mechanic that can happen at any time a QTE, which is just as bullshit as claiming something like Parrying in SF3 a QTE.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
This game and series is unbelievable, I'm definitely going to double dip just like I did on the first one. I'm going to be boring everyone when I talk about it till next year

Jumeira

Banned
Still waiting to play this, its sitting, installed on my Xbone. Its going to be a long Friday. These impressions are killing me.

TentPole

You are right, if we redefine what a QTE is, there are no QTEs.

I think you're making the mistake of thinking that QTE is defined by having the visual representation of a button on screen. Contextual button presses are not the same thing as a QTE. That is like saying "A to mantle" in Gears or whatever is a QTE and that's crazy.

Wow!

I played the game for about 3 hours at my friends house today. Crystal Dynamics you glorious bastards, you've done it again! I had high hopes and I was still blown away with what I played. Dem graphics! This is hands down one of the best engines and Crystal Dynamics now deserve to be ranked as one of the best developers going around at the moment.

The first 3 hours alone were probably better than anything else I've played this whole year. This game definitely seems like the real deal!

Top Bottom