• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

TheYanger

edit: erm, just realised it's not out on PC yet. Ignore me.

PC one won't be out for a few months, so nobody really knows. Assuming the port isn't awful it should be ok though I would think as long as you handily ran the old game, I mean this one doesn't run badly on the Xbone, so low settings on pc should probably be fine?

As someone who thought TR2013 was a piss poor game with some of the worst set pieces and voice acting I had to experience in a game not named COD does this version actually correct those wrongs or is it more for fans of the original who did not have the same problems?

What a weird complaint, I don't think most people had issues iwth the voice acting before? Action set pieces are strictly better, they're never just 'hold up' like before. If you didn't think the actual gameplay mechanics were fun before then probably not, but that should be a given.

If you're genuinely curious, this is a highlight I made of the last 'action setpiece' in the game, so you can see how it's actually just platforming using every skill you've learned rather than shit happens and you barely have to play.

LOCATION SPOILERS BUT NOT PLOT SPOILERS. This is just for anyone that is probably not going to play the game anyway or doesn't care, you've been warned.
^^SPOILERS^^

Lima

Alright fek I just ordered the 360 version lol. Will be very interesting to see the downgrades in graphics and compare the two.

Lima

Why? lol

I'm not done with the game yet on XB1 but I can't wait for the PC version. 1440p G-Sync :O

Want to play this again, get achievements on the 360 version too and I'm honestly really curious how it looks and if anything is scaled back at all.

I also ordered my ChronusMax too so I can play it with the Elite controller on 360 instead of that God awful 360 controller.

Good times.

If the PC version will also end up offering a different set of achievements I will triple dip.

TripOpt55

1000G now what? I'm actually thinking of buying the 360 version lol.

How hard is getting Gold medals in Expedition mode and the other achievements in that mode? I haven't tried that yet, but would like to go for 1000 as well. Want to finish 100% the main mode first.

Lima

How hard is getting Gold medals in Expedition mode and the other achievements in that mode? I haven't tried that yet, but would like to go for 1000 as well. Want to finish 100% the main mode first.

Very easy I thought.

For the tombs you basically just need to know the route to keep your combo up and know the puzzle solution to quickly pull it off.

For the infiltrator and combat levels the same thing applies. I played the level once to get an idea which route to take and where all the score pickups are. Then I would enable a bunch of permanent cards I had unlocked like no health regen, dying ends replay, no ammo at the start and big head mode for enemies for super easy head shots.

This gave me +295% score at the end. All you have to do then is to build a decent combo and get the points. Play on Survivor obviously.

Want to play this again, get achievements on the 360 version too and I'm honestly really curious how it looks and if anything is scaled back at all.

I also ordered my ChronusMax too so I can play it with the Elite controller on 360 instead of that God awful 360 controller.

Good times.

If the PC version will also end up offering a different set of achievements I will triple dip.

360 version retains all the gameplay from what I've played after finishing it on the one. Very impressive 360 version.

TripOpt55

Very easy I thought.

For the tombs you basically just need to know the route to keep your combo up and know the puzzle solution to quickly pull it off.

For the infiltrator and combat levels the same thing applies. I played the level once to get an idea which route to take and where all the score pickups are. Then I would enable a bunch of permanent cards I had unlocked like no health regen, dying ends replay, no ammo at the start and big head mode for enemies for super easy head shots.

This gave me +295% score at the end. All you have to do then is to build a decent combo and get the points. Play on Survivor obviously.

Good to hear. I look forward to giving it a try soon.

Toki767

Just finished the game. It's way way better than the first game. Just the pacing alone is better. You aren't stuck doing one thing for too long.

There was a ton of framerate drops during the last level though lol. I appreciated what they tried to do but man, the game was hitching pretty bad for me near the end.

Not sure I really want to play it over again though. And I wouldn't say to run out and buy an Xbox One just to play it, but most people should definitely keep this game in mind when it comes out on other platforms next year.

Neil_J_UK

After leaving the zone, how on earth do I get back to
the last half of the abandoned mines. I can't get to it from geothermal valley as the zipline is too high, and I can't see a way to get to it from the campfire in the mines as there is nothing to traverse across the gaps

edit: nevermind think i figured it out

RyudBoy

Good times.

I triple dipped on the last game, but I went from 360-->PC-->XB1. Don't think I can go back to last gen lol. PC version will be mine though!

This game is very good so far. I've only played 2 hours and have some minor complaints but other than that the game is fantastic. Don't let any of my complaints deter you from buying the game though because overall it's extremely fun. On the plus side (which heavily outweigh any negatives) collectibles feel like they're worth something this time, combat/stealth is great, good graphics, improved crafting/upgrades, extra modes that aren't generic multiplayer...it's going to be a GOTY contender for me no doubt.

So my overall minor complaints so far:
1: The bow and arrow isn't all that fun to shoot. Maybe it'll get better later with some upgrades but it's tough to hit moving animals so I waste arrows left and right (which is ok because they're plentiful if you search everywhere). It's a little comical, but overall it just feels a bit too slow to aim when you're trying to hit one of the faster moving targets. I wish it felt like it had a little more impact to it as well.

2: I rely on the map + Lara sense technology too much. This can just be considered my own problem since I'm choosing to use them but hey they're there so I do. I end up not wanting to run around randomly searching too much and so it loses some feel of exploration when I set a point on my map to grab the next document or coin cache or whatever.

It's kind of a double edged sword though because I do like that it's available. I guess I should be going through an area first and only after doing so should I use the map + senses to make sure I grab everything.

3. After using the Lara Sense to highlight things, there's a short delay before you can use it again. I don't really understand the point of the delay. It seems it's only there to make me click the button extra times and annoy me. It's much like the sprint delay in Destiny (though it is not as annoying).

Anyway, as I said fantastic game so far and can't wait to have some time to get into it more.

TheYanger

This game is very good so far. I've only played 2 hours and have some minor complaints but other than that the game is fantastic. Don't let any of my complaints deter you from buying the game though because overall it's extremely fun. On the plus side (which heavily outweigh any negatives) collectibles feel like they're worth something this time, combat/stealth is great, good graphics, improved crafting/upgrades, extra modes that aren't generic multiplayer...it's going to be a GOTY contender for me no doubt.

So my overall minor complaints so far:
1: The bow and arrow isn't all that fun to shoot. Maybe it'll get better later with some upgrades but it's tough to hit moving animals so I waste arrows left and right (which is ok because they're plentiful if you search everywhere). It's a little comical, but overall it just feels a bit too slow to aim. I wish it felt like it had a little more impact to it as well.

2: I rely on the map + Lara sense technology too much. This can just be considered my own problem since I'm choosing to use them but hey they're there so I do. I end up not wanting to run around randomly searching too much and so it loses some feel of exploration when I set a point on my map to grab the next document or coin cache or whatever.

It's kind of a double edged sword though because I do like that it's available. I guess I should be going through an area first and only after doing so should I use the map + senses to make sure I grab everything.

3. After using the Lara Sense to highlight things, there's a short delay before you can use it again. I don't really understand the point of the delay. It seems it's only there to make me click the button extra times and annoy me.

Anyway, as I said fantastic game so far and can't wait to have some more time to get into it more.

Honestly...just don't try to shoot animals with the bow unless you're aiming a headshot on a deer or something that doesn't see you. You'd need hgiher sensitivity to reliably bag the smaller/faster critters, and it doesn't work as well to headshot guys from stealth with it if you do that. You will never need animal skins THAT badly.

JonnyKong

Hmmmm, I'm currently trying to answer that age old question of,

Shall I go back and 100% the Soviet installation before moving onto the Geothermal Valley? (which by the way looks gorgeous).

Neil_J_UK

Hmmmm, I'm currently trying to answer that age old question of,

Shall I go back and 100% the Soviet installation before moving onto the Geothermal Valley? (which by the way looks gorgeous).

Currently doing that myself, but there are a few places I can't get to yet without items/equipment I don't yet have.

About to start, usually prefer a challenge to my games. Should I go with normal or the next level up? Could've sworn I've read the default difficultly is pretty easy.

So I didn't know I had to zoom-in to get the triple shot to work. And now that it targets headshots combat in this game just got easier. Seriously you can defeat enemies alone just by using hand-made molotovs, smoke, and explosive grenades without ever wasting ammo.

JonnyKong

As much as I'm enjoying trying to 100% each area, it's a little bit annoying the way the collectibles don't all appear at once until you find other things to reveal them. It would be so much nicer if all the coin caches appeared at once instead of like 3 at a time, causing me to traverse around the Soviet installation in a big circle a MILLION times.

silva1991

How can I get to the first challenge in Soviet installation? I see it in the map, but I can't reach it. is it inside the crypt entrance?

silva1991

Do you mean the first challenge tomb in that area?
You have to shoot an item dangling from the crane to access it.

On the map it has an icon of a circle and a star inside it.

it says: challenges - into the darkness.

it says under that: 2 of 5 caves explored. however the mark is still highlighted :/

JonnyKong

I started the rope/flag cutting challenge earlier and there's still a highlighted circle with star over the place where I know for sure I've already cut one, so I can't really help you cos I'm getting the same thing.

On the map it has an icon of a circle and a star inside it.

it says: challenges - into the darkness.

it says under that: 2 of 5 caves explored. however the mark is still highlighted :/

I see. I think you have to discover the 5 caves by yourself, there will be a cave icon on the map once you are near them.

Robin

I started the rope/flag cutting challenge earlier and there's still a highlighted circle with star over the place where I know for sure I've already cut one, so I can't really help you cos I'm getting the same thing.
Those icons disappear once the challenge is completed. In most cases for me it indicated where I started the challenge.

Those icons disappear once the challenge is completed. In most cases for me it indicated where I started the challenge.

Yup, this.

On another note, been enjoying this game so much and man is it gorgeous.

f8JbnO.png

WWcw1O.png

tcApso.png

robatw

Sorry i didn't read the thread because i don't want to read any spoilers.

So quick question:

Should i play the 2013 Tomb Raider to have fun with the new one? Because i have the new one on my table right now.

Critic

Banned

So quick question:

Should i play the 2013 Tomb Raider to have fun with the new one? Because i have the new one on my table right now.

Nope. There's no connection to TR 2013. ROTR is far better game.

jelly

So quick question:

No need but it's a fun game as well.

So quick question:

You should just play that one if you want because it's a fun game itself and it should be pretty cheap now (I know it'll be $15 at one of the stores on Black Friday). If you're not interested though then it doesn't matter.

Grisby

Ha ha, game locked up my x1 and made it restart itself. Played for another hour or so after that and everything seemed fine.

Feel like I'm getting near the end. Just got the
atlas and rebreather.

Foshy

The input lag is really throwing me off. Feels like I'm playing the game via streaming instead of on the console itself and it's really taking my enjoyment out of the game :/ Played for about an hour and decided to wait for a patch for now. I'm really not a person who calls games "unplayable" because of framerate dips and stuff like a lot of people do nowadays but in this case I'm gonna wait to see if this issue gets fixed anytime soon so I can play it in a more enjoyable state.

Really enjoyed the first TR2013 when I got to play it thanks to Games with Gold and was pretty hyped for RotTR. Hope this gets ironed out because I really want to play it.

JayB1920

Here are my ideas for improvements for a sequel.

More tombs/puzzles.They are still a bit short and easy overall despite being a large improvement both in the story and the optional tombs. Also add some animal enemies in the tombs. The guardians at the entrances were a nice touch though. I guess this is a situation where more is never a bad thing.

Survival Caches and Coin caches feel like busy work collectibles. You get more than enough resources on your own and coins are boring to collect. Hey also tended to show up in an area after I finished exporing every inch so I had to backtrack. I think you should earn coins for doing optional tombs or missions. The monoliths should lead you to hidden tomb/crypt areas not otherwise accessible or something of substance at least. Just get rid of the useless caches all together be it coin, survival or gps. They are not fun to collect and add nothing of substance. There are already too many things to collect without these.

Challenges should be removed too. More busy work. Replace these with the optional missions with actual rewards.

Too many documents. They should balance out these with more relics. My OCD had me sitting thorugh each one until the voice over finished even though I read through it all in a few seconds.

Overall great game though these would be great improvements for the sequel to make it more focused and fun to explore/collect.

I really like some of the new survivor mechanics, specifically how they ripped the bandage mechanic right out if TLoU. It forces you to try to get through some of these encounters without taking any damage.

Lima

I really like some of the new survivor mechanics, specifically how they ripped the bandage mechanic right out if TLoU. It forces you to try to get through some of these encounters without taking any damage.

Nah if you explore a bit you are always full with the ingredients for the bandages. I basically had 20 health kits on me at all times on Survivor. That's my biggest issue with the game really. This game is easy as fuck on Survivor. If we are already talking TLOU I would like to see Survivor closer to grounded difficulty.

JonnyKong

How come when I did the radio tower challenge, they all glowed green in instinct mode letting me know where they are, but the posters and flags aren't?

Lima

How come when I did the radio tower challenge, they all glowed green in instinct mode letting me know where they are, but the posters and flags aren't?

Because the radio tower stuff was a side mission from the dude in the cabin and not a challenge.

Top Bottom