• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

sam777

Sorry if this has been asked but the thread is kind of long.

Are there collectibles that if I miss them I cannot go back to get? Right now I'm running around after picking up the
grapple
and there are a few things that I just can't seem to find a way to. I really hope it's a case of me not looking hard enough.

All collectibles can be collected post game.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm enjoying this game A LOT more than TR2013 so far

And i'm surprisingly interested in the story this time around lol

Fess

Okay this is seriously awesome, way way better than the already great TR2013 imo, great puzzles and great action too with different ways to play it, 60fps or lots of new content might get me to get the PS4 version too but right now I'm surprisingly satisfied with this release. It makes me sad to see the low sales reports, it deserves better sales than most games released this year imo.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
So they were able to confirm that the game breaking glitch I experienced will be fixed in patch 2 along with quite a few other's, but they cannot fix the current game saves so I will have to restart.

It sucks, but I'm ok with it as the game is just that damn good and I'm going to up the difficulty.

If you want to avoid 2 major game breaking glitches, stay away from the option tomb that requires you to have the rebreather... till you have the rebreather. If you go in there do not quit the game or save in that area.

Sorry but what are the two major game breaking glitches? Can you explain them better? And that optional tomb, which one is it and where is it located? Which area map?

After 27 hours, I had to restart because of that bird/crow side mission glitch (which im assuming is one of the two major game breaking glitches but not 100% sure) and just reached the Geo Valley.

Thanks for any info and help as it would be greatly appreciated.

Zeta Oni

Sorry but what are the two major game breaking glitches? Can you explain them better? And that optional tomb, which one is it and where is it located? Which area map?

After 27 hours, I had to restart because of that bird/crow side mission glitch (which im assuming is one of the two major game breaking glitches but not 100% sure) and just reached the Geo Valley.

Thanks for any info and help as it would be greatly appreciated.

The one requiring the rebreather is in geothermal valley if I'm not mistaken.

Looking at the map, its's the tomb located more towards the north/northwest, and has a bear guarding what looks like an area of cleared trees leading to a cave.

Edit: There's another tomb nearby that is by a lake and requires the grapple hook, that one is safe.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone encountered a glitch where you get less EXP than normal? Bizarre. For things I used to get 25 EXP for, now I get 22. Unless I totally missed something.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Looking at the map, its's the tomb located more towards the north/northwest, and has a bear guarding what looks like an area of cleared trees leading to a cave.

Edit: There's another tomb nearby that is by a lake and requires the grapple hook, that one is safe.

Okay. Thanks. Appreciate the info.

About 6 hours in and what an amazing game. Tbh...from all blockbusters releasing now, this was way down on my list of 'must buys', but I could trade in some games and now....man, this could be in my top 3 for 2015. Fantastic game!

Tak3n

Banned

What is the Glitch as I just went in there, killed the bear, went into the tomb it said I could not do it until I had the rebreather so I came out....

Have I fucked myself

LUXURY

I'll probably find out later, but what do I do about the parts of the floor that light up in Instinct mode? I've seen them about three times now. It's bothering me that I can't get into them.

Zeta Oni

What is the Glitch as I just went in there, killed the bear, went into the tomb it said I could not do it until I had the rebreather so I came out....

Have I fucked myself

I think you should be fine, I did the exact same thing you did with no issue. But I don't know if maybe that was an exception or I failed to do something to trigger it.

psychotron

The shooting is such a pain in the ass with the input lag. It's really making me want to stop playing until it's patched. The game looks great and seems so much better than Tomb Raider 2013, so it's really annoying for this to hold it back.

Pheew, luckily I didn't took as much time exploring the Geo Valley before moving with the main story as I did with the Soviet Installations.

Haven't played this for a couple of days due to work commitments, but I'm just a little bit more than an hour away from finally picking it up again!

robotrock

Banned
I'm only about an hour in right now, but those death scenes still suck. Wish I could disable them.

They definitely are a bit toned down from the previous game though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just finished the campaign. It took about two days. It took me back to
Uncharted 2
and I'd have to say the particle effects and the weather dynamics are very good.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was anticipating it because it wasn't Lara just starting out.

Minor complaints would be that its story isn't really original, but it's definitely a good direction. I've never thought a lot about TR's plot. Once you know what's going on you can skip the rest of the cutscene. The firefights were a load of fun. I used everything I could get my hands on and there's quite a few feelings of
TLoU
where you're crafting weapons. I enjoyed the upgrading system with weapons. I got quite a few achievements and it felt great all the way through. It felt a tad linear, but the world is beautiful and I didn't necessarily have to go back. I'd just collect whatever was in front of me.

I wasn't really bored either. Cut scenes sometimes make you feel like you have to watch the obvious, but they're not too bad. I'm not a person who hates cutscenes like others do, but even I skip ever so often.

I'd give it a 4.5/5 or at least a solid 9. I'm not quite sure about replay ability because I did a lot of what I wanted to do and if I ever went back it would probably be to look for hidden stuff because the world is beautiful.

AC3 sorta did me in because I didn't like nature unless it was perfect. Climbing trees can really mess with your play style and something like this was quite nice actually. I just dislike having to get stuck jumping onto a tree when you're dealing with Infamous style of precision landing. Otherwise it's a great game. I bet it's gonna be a sleeper hit now and a solid game when it goes multi platform.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I took some pics with my camera because I'm not use to the feature on the XBO, but it looks great (like I said before).

Untitled.jpg

333.jpg

robotrock

Banned
How close am I to finishing the story? I just found (SUPER SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK)
out that Anna is a member of Trinity, and I got put in a cell, and then i broke out of the cell with Jacob. I imagine pretty far since the Anna thing seems like it would be a late game twist sorta thing.

How close am I to finishing the story? I just found (SUPER SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK)
out that Anna is a member of Trinity, and I got put in a cell, and then i broke out of the cell with Jacob. I imagine pretty far since the Anna thing seems like it would be a late game twist sorta thing.

Got a long ways to go still. That's maybe 1/3 through.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why even...

I'm just stating it to point it out in case people don't want to feel like it's another Other M or a title where they gotta sit through the rhetoric. The cutscenes are great and the character models do too. I felt like it flowed real well. It's a pleasant game. I just needed to say that because I do sorta want to get past the obvious. I'm not irritable, but sometimes I just want to jump in and start playing.

Got a long ways to go still. That's maybe 1/3 through.

Yes, that's still early on. Relax and enjoy it.

I'm surprised by how much more depth there is to the game. I've been playing this for a few hours today and there is alot of collectable s in the first region(only?) Alone. Did a few missions for the natives and some crypts.

The tombs are more challenging that TR:DE, but not really all that hard so far.

Alienous

Solid game, but it really makes me appreciate the effort Naughty Dog put into the visual design of the Uncharted games. ROTR is all waypoints, and maps, and text popping up on screen to tell me I got XP.

... I probably could turn that all off. I'll remember to do it for next time.

I also appreciate the puzzles (or, most of them at least) being off of the beaten path. It seems to have allowed the designers to come up with tricky set-ups that would otherwise risk ruining the pace of the game.

sdornan

Just finished it. Great game, enjoyed it a lot. I'm just disappointed that it's going to be overlooked because it's an Xbox exclusive (for now) and came out the same day as Fallout 4. Apparently, there's already a third game in the works though, which I was glad to hear.

Montresor

So they were able to confirm that the game breaking glitch I experienced will be fixed in patch 2 along with quite a few other's, but they cannot fix the current game saves so I will have to restart.

It sucks, but I'm ok with it as the game is just that damn good and I'm going to up the difficulty.

If you want to avoid 2 major game breaking glitches, stay away from the option tomb that requires you to have the rebreather... till you have the rebreather. If you go in there do not quit the game or save in that area.

So to avoid BOTH of the game breaking glitches all I have to do is avoid the tomb guarded by a bear in geothermal valley, until I have the rebreather?

nib95

Banned
I'm about 60% installed but can start the game. Reading about these bugs however worries me. Should I let it fully install and update before playing, or am I ok to start?

I'm about 60% installed but can start the game. Reading about these bugs however worries me. Should I let it fully install and update before playing, or am I ok to start?

I started playing it and I got about 10-15 minutes in and then just stopped halfway down a zip line and said I had to wait for the rest to install.

Didn't break anything, it was just annoying.

tosu

Neo Member
I just encountered a glitch where Lara moved at a really slow speed. Everything else was fine. Camera, aiming and the enviroment moved at normal speed but Lara moved in slow motion. Exited out and loaded the save...everything was fine. It was weird.

Teggy

Funny I was just there and I thought 'what the hell...shut up Lara.'

I mentioned this before but I really wish they hadn't tied hints to detective vision. There's a number of other places where you wind up with similar results of her saying the same thing over and over while you're just pinging for documents and relics. I much prefer the method where after a certain amount of time passes they give you an optional prompt to get a hint if you want.

naitosan

Finished it last night, my god it's an incredible game! It blew Uncharted away IMO, with metroidvania style gameplay and very pretty looking. I spent over 50 hours on it, checked every corners, looking at beaitufl tombs and did all collections, etc. Can't believe how deep it was. Wish it didn't have to end. :( Definitely worth $60 and would pay more if I could.

Definitely my GOTY.

I just got
Grenade arrows
and busted through that door with them. How far am I?

You've got a ways to go. Several hours at minimun depending on if you skip collectibles.

I just finished it a bit ago. I found it merely ok, pretty much like the previous one. The action set pieces are cool along with the tombs, but the neverending barrage of collectibles and crappy characterization of Lara really turn me off. I really hate that they removed all sense of adventure and humor from the series and replaced it with brutal violence.

nib95

Banned
Presumably the first hour or so of the game isn't indicative of the rest of the game? It's pretty much a strictly linear affair, whereas the previous title had a more semi open, sandboxy emphasis. Guessing after base camp, RotTR follows a similar approach?

Graphics are stunning. Love some of the vistas, textures, lighting and shaders. Though a few of the animations are a bit hit and miss.

On a side note, more than any input lag, I think another issue is the massive deadzone. You can literally spin small circles with the sticks without them registering any movement at all. Are any of you are getting this same issue?

It's been absolutely forever since I played a game I did not want to end.

What an amazing game CD put out.

GOtY no doubt. Just a great time.

Top Bottom