• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

TheYanger

Hey! The game arrived today from Amazon but I can't touch it yet on account of still needing to beat the first game.

In the first game I'm at the part where I need to go find the Captain of the plane that crashed. How far am I in? I got a feeling that I'm not very far.

Probably like, 20% in tops.

I just finished this game last night. It was unbelievably fun. I literally had to fight to put this game down on occasion. Definitely my Game of the Year.

Montresor

Haven't played this game in weeks, mostly because of Halo.

Are all the different game-breaking glitches fixed yet? I'll be honest - part of me slowed down my playtime because I reached Geothermal Valley and heard entering the optional tomb that requires the Rebreather if you don't have the Rebreather yet can permanently break your game. It's easy to avoid - just don't go into the tomb that is guarded by a bear until you acquire the Rebreather. It's still annoying me though.

MauroNL

I don't know what it's for but I just got a 940MB update.

Patch notes:

Patch Number: 2

Platform: Xbox One

Issue Date: 12/11/15

Notes:
New Content
Endurance Mode – Available Dec. 29th
Alone and in the wild, Lara must scrounge, scavenge, craft and survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies, both man and beast, by night. This is her ultimate woman-versus-wild test to push the limits of how long she can survive on her own in a sprawling, unforgiving landscapes. Fire takes fuel, cold kills the unprepared, food restores health, but everything must be caught, collected, or crafted. You start with nothing and must find everything. Challenge friends to your longest survival run and battle to the top of the leaderboards for the title of Ultimate Survivor. Includes a new outfit and weapon.

Bug Fixes
Major Issue Fixes
• Prevented a save corruption issue that was causing players to be stuck in the Acropolis or Flooded Archives.
• Fixed issue that caused cinematics to become non-responsive when the console language was set to Dutch.
• Fixed a crash that could occur if the title was started after installing the patch but before the full game was installed.
• Fixed an issue where the player could run out of pistol ammo and not reload correctly when attacked by a Deathless soldier.
• Prevented an issue in the Acropolis where the player becomes unable to crawl under a door after backtracking.

Gameplay / Progression Fixes
• Miscellaneous stability / crash fixes.
• Prevented a rare issue where the player would become stuck in the Research Base when backtracking.
• Fixed an issue that was causing the crank in the Voice of God tomb to become non-functional.
• Prevented an issue where the second trebuchet could become stuck in its locked position after leaving the area.
• Fixed an issue where the third trebuchet became inaccessible due to the swinging object being out of position.
• Fixed an issue that caused the player model to distort in limited circumstances.
• Fixed a rare issue where the player would become stuck after throwing a portable object and healing.
• Fixed an issue where the Ancient Quiver would disappear after dying with the Adventurer's Quiver equipped.
• Added additional safety checks in the Chamber of Exorcism tomb to prevent physics errors on the puzzle object.
• Fixed a rare issue in the Soviet Installation that caused level geometry to disappear (Xbox 360).

Minor Gameplay Bug Fixes
• Miscellaneous texture / lighting fixes.
• Removed patch of invisible flame that was hurting players in the Copper Mill.
• Fixed an issue that was preventing animals from respawning in the Siberian Wilderness.
• Moved a supply crate in the Hunting Grounds so that it can be looted easier.
• Prevented battle music from retriggering after backtracking to the beginning of the Copper Mill.
• Fixed an issue where the big cats would ragdoll erroneously after a takedown.
• Fixed an issue with the Immortal Guardian outfit not granting proper fire resistance.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the player to occasionally face the wrong direction after planting a Piton Arrow.
• Fixed an animation pop that would occur near the end of the tower climb in Kitezh.

Remnant Resistance Fixes
• Fixed an issue where user created missions would not save if two or more of the same objectives were used.
• General improvements to wolf navigation.
• Fixed an issue where NPCs could become stuck in place after hit reacting to an exploding generator.
• Fixed an erroneous message in Targeted Strike if the player had the Efficient Killer skill.
• Miscellaneous shadow and detail improvements.
• Fixed an issue with some German subtitles not appearing during voice-overs.

Marketplace / Card Fixes
• Fixed an issue that prevented Gift Pack names from displaying correctly after switching the in-game language.
• Fixed an issue that caused the Hydrophobic and Efficient Mining challenges to display times incorrectly.
• Fixed typo in the Mission Win gift pact description.
• Disabled use of the Grip card in the Lost City.
• Adjusted rarity of Compound Bow V to 5 stars.
• Adjusted multiplier of Bolt Action Rifle 3 and Bolt Action Rifle 4.
• Adjusted rarity of Compound Bow V to 5 stars.
• Adjusted rarity of Infiltrator: Master to 5 stars.
• Adjusted multiplier of the Hunter III card.
• Adjusted modifiers for the Hunter I and Hunter II cards.
• Adjusted modifiers for the Tool Belt and Tool Chest cards.

Other / Misc. Fixes
• Several weapon categories have been renamed to better reflect their modification effects.
• Removed placeholder images in the base camp for skills granted by challenge tombs.
• Fixed an issue that was displaying an erroneous count of collectibles in the Broadcast Frame.
• Fixed localization error in Polish when traversing in the Research Base.
• Fixed missing subtitle in Lat. Am. Spanish during the ending cinematic.
• Fixed picture for the Shrapnel Grenade Crafting in Survival Guide.
• Fixed merged name issue in the forum credits.

Teggy

I'm not seeing my bird fix that was supposed to be in this patch. Hopefully it is included in that respawning animal fix?

Basketball

Read some things about the Endurance mode it's kinda like Don't Starve

no narrative, just survive, start off with nothing ... I wonder if there will be new places like a giant forest or something. Color me excited

Yeah after having played Gears UE for two hours and then going to Rise of the Tomb Raider, you definitely notice the input lag. It's not destroying the game for me, but damn it sure should be fixed.

Sydle

Endurance mode is interesting. I may try that out when I go back for the DLC. I've had my fill of the game for now (it was excellent, but 40 hours is more than I originally planned for).

I must have been really desensitized to the lag, because I played for a long time and was playing long sessions of Halo 5 as well.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just bought it digital because my little brothers xbox is mained so we both get it.

My only complaint is that the added input lag really is effecting my experience. I have no problems playing competitive games on my 60inch but because tomb raider adds a bit more it makes camera control and aiming a tad frustrating. Think I might hook this up to my monitor to enjoy it.

Ricker

Almost finished with the game now,close to 30 hours and in the last 25 %...sooo good,in my top 5 of the year.

Bird not fixed. They're looking into it. :p

Are you talking about the side mission that involves capturing a bird,at the big Hunter refuge area...? still cant figure that one.

Teggy

Almost finished with the game now,close to 30 hours and in the last 25 %...sooo good,in my top 5 of the year.

Are you talking about the side mission that involves capturing a bird,at the big Hunter refuge area...? still cant figure that one.

Soviet installation. There is a bug that can prevent it from spawning. It is normally in a specific spot and will move if you miss it there - I had no problem with it in my survivor playthrough but my original playthrough is bugged.

Hoping the season pass is half off or something during the upcoming big XBL sale. I want the sp but just can't justify spending $30 for it.

Ricker

So, was there an outfit called the blue Henley in the game? I know there is the grey Henley, but I just unlocked a blue version

Just got it this morning as well...no health bonus though but the game is kinda easy even on normal so it's ok.

Damn. Endurance mode is Season pass only? I saw the patch notes and thought I'd try the new mode. Nothing. It's not there.

Community unlocked it by raiding 2.000.000 tombs.

Ah ok,well thats pretty awesome.

Hoping the season pass is half off or something during the upcoming big XBL sale. I want the sp but just can't justify spending $30 for it.

I hope so also.

XenoRaven

This is not in any way intended to be a backhanded compliment to Crystal Dynamics, as I did enjoy TR2013, but Rise is so much better and it's not even close. I'm having a blast with the game.

Just completed the game list night. 100% completion, 32 hours. Overall an amazing game, and in my top 3 of the year. An improvement in everyway over the already great 2013 TR.

I'll be interested in not only where they take this series next, but also when (as in when CD will have the next game ready). TR to RotTR was 2.5 years, which seems to be somewhat quick, and they achieved a great product. I wouldn't be surprised if the next entry went back to a spring release, so spring 2018?

eshwaaz

Just beat it - easily one of my favorite action/adventure games ever.

I love that Crystal D not only
Improved the tombs, but also made getting to them far more interesting and exciting - they really felt like locations built in secret and isolation rather than right off the beaten path as in the previous game.

Crypts and caves were a great addition as well, and really fleshed out the adventuring aspect of the game.

I appreciated that there was less combat in general, but I do agree that input lag was an issue, especially in some of the later encounters.

The visuals and audio are outstanding. So many subtle sound effects that make the world convincing. There's quite a bit of LOD ugliness and pop-in (and in some odd cases, pop-out) and some low res shadow shimmer, but for the most part the game looks just amazing. Hard to believe this is a cross-gen game. There's still some awkward stiffness to Lara's movements, but still quite good for the most part.

So depressing that this game is being played by so few, thanks to the shortsighted exclusivity deal and an insane-by-any-measure release date. Crystal D really deserves to be rewarded for crafting such a fantastic game. I really hope this game gets the attention it deserves when the other versions come out. I need more games like this.

ShutterMunster

As some of you may know from my posts in this thread, I really liked Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I had some issues with it, narratively. I decided to do a write up on my feelings on it and where I feel the game sits alongside the other major adventure 3PS (ahem, you know).
https://medium.com/@RomanMF/reboot-the-return-of-lara-croft-b0712ed4a7a6#.6f34obl3t

I hope the title's poor—or at the very least, not good—sales don't kill the series. I don't think the PC release is going to do much for them, but if the PS4 release does numbers that would be great, because I think Crystal Dynamics is just a few steps away from greatness with this series. Third time is definitely going to be the charm.

Lara Croft is back and better than ever in Rise of the Tomb Raider (RotTR). Crystal Dynamics (CD) have completed the comeback, injecting the franchise with new life. 2013’s Tomb Raider was a much needed pivot for the series. CD reimagined Lara as a real woman and left the halter top and implants behind. Lara “The Survivor” emerged and the gameplay evolved to challenge her.

However, every now and again you will encounter a tomb that is so beautifully entrenched in the environment you wonder how it got there, and you yearn to learn more about its history. This is one area where Rise is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.

The Tomb Raider franchise has a ton of potential. CD have found a satisfying gameplay loop and the audience seems to want the series to be great again. RotTR’s sales have been less than stellar— it launched smack dab in between games with larger audiences and more hype behind them— but I’m optimistic about the series’s future and so are Square Enix & CD. The exclusivity deal rubbed many Playstation fans the wrong way, but I imagine they’ll be over it by the time the game releases on that platform (in November of 2016, oof!). I hope it finds its audience there because it is a fantastic experience worthy of praise. If CD can make the necessary storytelling and set piece improvements there could be a new sheriff in town.

Enjoying the game a hell of a lot so far. Just now making it to the
Cathedral

Anyone mind telling me about how much I have left? It kind of feels like things are ramping up but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Toa TAK

Banned
The game just got updated with a couple new outfits, Nightshade and Ancient Vanguard.

Nightshade:
Zm3n7Lm.png

Ancient Vanguard:

Voror

So I was wrapping things up and finally finished 100% the game after finishing the last challenge, but the Compulsive Achievement didn't unlock. Any reason for that?

KyleCross

It was on sale for $39.99 at Best Buy, my GCU bringing it down to about $34 after tax and it'll trade in for $26 so I picked it up despite wanting to wait for the PS4 version. I figure it isn't going to be much out of pocket for me, if I end up really enjoying it and wanting to replay it I can pick it up on PS4 later.

npa189

Having fun so far, but it doesn't have the same impact as 2013 for me. I can't make up my mind on if this game is gorgeous or looks/runs like puke. performance seems to be all over the place and it makes me kinda wish I waited for PC. Oh well, still a great game.

Big fan of the reboot but this one hasn't been clicking for me. Ive enjoyed the set pieces, but the AI in combat doesn't allow ME to experiment with the battlefield. Maybe it's cause I'm playing on a harder difficulty, but enemies just keep charging me. All this cover and most enemies just want to shoot at me while walking me down, leaving me to sit and fire. Dangerous game is too easy thanks to poison arrows and having to keep looking at my map to find where to dig up shit is aggravating too. Halfway thru and I have no desire to finish it. I came here to see if I'm alone in my thoughts and it seems so. Glad everyone else is enjoying it just really disappointed, it was one of my, if not the, most anticipated game of the year for me.

Vitacat

So I finally opened my copy and started playing...

OMG.

This will probably be my GOTY. WOW.

Everyone with an Xbone NEEDS this game. Everyone who loves videogames needs this game.

Megatron

Ok, I am right near the end,
Jacob just opened a secret path and told me to go in when I am ready
. If I finish the game do I still get to go back and do the side stuff, or do I need to do it before I finish?

Teggy

Ok, I am right near the end,
Jacob just opened a secret path and told me to go in when I am ready
. If I finish the game do I still get to go back and do the side stuff, or do I need to do it before I finish?

Yes, and you're also not really right near the end.

Tak3n

Banned
Finished it, Loved it, shame a lot of people want it to fail as it truly is great, I just wish the ending
would of been one long epic tomb rather than the fighting

Top Bottom