• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok good, cause i really need to buy a grenade launcher or shotgun for this goddamn puma. What a fucking horribly annoying piece of shit that exotic animal is. I just want to exlore tbat tomb, damn animal.

Nah, poison arrows > *

I bought everything from the shack but I rarely used the shotgun (stuck to the pump action through the game), or the grenade launcher. I like the military rifle though.

100% on the game yesterday, had a blast playing it with my wife. Loved the game even more than TR2013. A good lengthy 45 hours for me to complete everything too!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a point of no return? I have some tombs left to do and just got to the secret underground entrance after the jacob/jonah scene

And yeah, that leather squeal on Lara's gear is there and easily heard in the snowy area during the first Act of the game. It annoyed me too. I appreciate the attention to detail in sound design but yeesh.

It's further on than that, but that's exactly where I paused to go clear up stuff. Note you can't 100% the geothermal valley at that point, because you need to have cleared all tombs and there is one more past that point. But you can just do that later and pop back.

There is a point of no return but it clearly tells you when you get there, and there is a bonfire right there so you can stop/fast travel to clear stuff up. You can also continue the game after completing it to find collectibles etc. Here is one achievement which is for clearing all tombs in a single playthrough, but I think that's the only one tied to the first playthrough.

Nah, poison arrows > *

I bought everything from the shack but I rarely used the shotgun (stuck to the pump action through the game), or the grenade launcher. I like the military rifle though.

I have 100% in the game and am off by over 100 coins of buying the last thing.

SURGEdude

I'm happy to see all the positive feedback about the game in this thread. I don't have an XB1 but I just picked it up today for the 360 and I'm excited to work through it over the holidays. Here's hoping the 360 version isn't too gimped.

Does the game's plot tie in with TR2013 at all? I'm considering replaying TR2013 on PS3 as a refresher before jumping into this game, but I don't know if it's worth it.

You'll be impressed even with the 360 build. I played it for a couple days before I got it for my Bone and it's impressive for the hardware. If a 360 is all you have you will still love it. And that goes for folks who might have switched to a PS4 or PC this gen. Unpack your 360 and play this game.

d00d3n

I have 100% in the game and am off by over 100 coins of buying the last thing.

Yeah, you have to carefully pick up all the non-marked piles of coin to be able to afford everything, I believe. I got 100%, bought everything and I have 157 coins left to spare.

I should add that I went crazy with the radar mode thing and scanned every location in the game, basically.

Impulsor

I have a bug where I got the ancient quiver, and then quit the game, after going back in I no longer have it equipped and I can't equip it either. I have it, as it is checked in the gear menu each time I stop to check at a campfire, but it isn't equipped and I can't equip it.

Freeman76

Game looks really good, added to Christmas list from the wife lol.

Whats the OT title all about, attention seeking or something

d00d3n

I have a bug where I got the ancient quiver, and then quit the game, after going back in I no longer have it equipped and I can't equip it either. I have it, as it is checked in the gear menu each time I stop to check at a campfire, but it isn't equipped and I can't equip it.

It is a known bug. I got it as well. Currently no fix, but they are supposedly working on it. Luckily there is no need for the crazy amount of special arrows that the ancient quiver gets you.

Impulsor

It is a known bug. I got it as well. Currently no fix, but they are supposedly working on it. Luckily there is no need for the crazy amount of special arrows that the ancient quiver gets you.

Yeah, not gamebreaking at all, but my OCD kicked in and I stopped playing after the bug.

I'm gonna finish the game today. Can I got back for collectibles afterwards?

d00d3n

Yeah, not gamebreaking at all, but my OCD kicked in and I stopped playing after the bug.

I'm gonna finish the game today. Can I got back for collectibles afterwards?

Yes. Getting everything gets you
a disappointing special version of the powerful two-shot shotgun

d00d3n

Lol, I don't really care, I use fire shells with the semi auto shotgun so I can panic spam.

But why is it so dissappointing?

Sorry for the missing spoiler tag ...

It is disappointing imo because the fully upgraded breaker shotgun is powerful enough in most circumstances. As the last thing you get in the game I expected more than a negligible incremental upgrade. It looks kind of nice, though!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A few hundred extra? I nearly 100% the game and took tons of extra hours to do it and still didn't have enough for the grenade attachment and pistol silencer.

A few hundred extra? I nearly 100% the game and took tons of extra hours to do it and still didn't have enough for the grenade attachment and pistol silencer.

if u care about the achievement, it supposedly only counts the number of purchases you make. So if u start up a new game and buy whatever the cheapest thing is, it will unlock

Max_Po

Banned
Just finished the game. I think this is by far the best "system exclusive" for holidays MS could have gotten. The game is definitely one of the best Tomb Raider game.

Some Points or my thoughts:

- Graphics are pretty weak, sure Lara's hair looks nice however the weak textures look last gen in some of the spots.
- Generally runs well however there are frame rate issues especially in the village. (Do not want to spoil too much).
+ The areas with ICE look fantastic. Great model/texture work.
- Very minimal effort in underwater combat.
+ Enjoyed the stealth combat and I did use a lot of different ways to replay the areas by intentionally getting killed by the last enemy.
- The snow deforming when you walk over is weak and not convincing. Its like PS2/Xbox era deformation.
+ Game length is fantastic.
+ Interactions with civilians is a plus, although no thought or effort was placed and is a huge missed opportunity. I found the little tasks to be chore and useless.

Over all a good package to justify the price. I finished it on "Seasoned Vet" if I cared to read the Trophy/Achievement stuff I would have started on the highest difficulty.

I just want to mention that the characters are absolutely forgettable other than Lara. I found the story in 2013 reboot much more entertaining.

Just finished the game. I think this is by far the best "system exclusive" for holidays MS could have gotten. The game is definitely one of the best Tomb Raider game.

Some Points or my thoughts:

- Graphics are pretty weak, sure Lara's hair looks nice however the weak textures look last gen in some of the spots.
- Generally runs well however there are frame rate issues especially in the village. (Do not want to spoil too much).
+ The areas with ICE look fantastic. Great model/texture work.
- Very minimal effort in underwater combat.
+ Enjoyed the stealth combat and I did use a lot of different ways to replay the areas by intentionally getting killed by the last enemy.
- The snow deforming when you walk over is weak and not convincing. Its like PS2/Xbox era deformation.
+ Game length is fantastic.
+ Interactions with civilians is a plus, although no thought or effort was placed and is a huge missed opportunity. I found the little tasks to be chore and useless.

Over all a good package to justify the price. I finished it on "Seasoned Vet" if I cared to read the Trophy/Achievement stuff I would have started on the highest difficulty.

I just want to mention that the characters are absolutely forgettable other than Lara. I found the story in 2013 reboot much more entertaining.

Hmmmm... personally I would not call the graphics weak, but more like a mixed bag. It starts off amazing and Syria (especially at the beginning and inside the tomb) looks great too. Same can be said for most tombs, caves, crypts etc, but the snow hub area Soviet Installation really reminds me a lot of TR 2013/DE. The weather effects are great and her hair realistic in the wind and snow forming up on her jacket, but goddamn those terribly ugly and distracting aliasing on most tree branches. Why? It's not like the game looks out of this worldly good in those areas so why not use better AA there?

The fact that the 360 version is so damn impressive is quite telling too, and you simply can see this is a cross gen game. I am willing to bet that if CD had made it for current gen only it would have looked much better overall. Especially the hub areas show that IMO. Graphics wise it's just not consistent. Gameplay wise it's awesome though, but I do believe Ryse is still the best looking X1 title.

TheYanger

You definitely didn't get all the caches somewhere. I finished the game with well over 200 left.

Teggy

I submitted my return to Amazon for my $40 disc copy so that I could replace it with a digital copy and in the meantime they ran out of codes :p

Has anyone played both the 360 and XBONE versions?
I just want to know if i should play the 360 version on my dads console over Christmas or wait for the PC release.

Alpha_eX

I completed the game and then discovered some cards in the marketplace. I literally have no idea how to use them or even look at them again.

What are they for?

I like how there is an additional scene when you continue your game after watching the credits, it feels like a natural reintroduction to go back in and explore.

Throughout the game, I forgot to loot enemies so never really had any of those nut/bolty type things to upgrade. Are they easy to find now there are no human enemies?

TheYanger

I completed the game and then discovered some cards in the marketplace. I literally have no idea how to use them or even look at them again.

What are they for?

I like how there is an additional scene when you continue your game after watching the credits, it feels like a natural reintroduction to go back in and explore.

Throughout the game, I forgot to loot enemies so never really had any of those nut/bolty type things to upgrade. Are they easy to find now there are no human enemies?

There are still human enemies to be found.

What are they for?

the cards are essentially modifiers for score attack mode. Some increase the points you get, others decrease. If you go to the leaderboards, you can see which cards people with really high scores used...and it even lets u replicate their cards for 2000 credits.

Schnauzer

I'm glad this flopped. I ended up buying it, but if I only owned a Playstation 4 I would of been pissed. I almost didn't buy the title out of principle. At least history will not repeat itself now that developers see first hand what happens when a Playstation associated franchise abandons their user base.

The game is highly overrated. Probably because of the exclusivity as fodder for the console wars. I ended up buying it because it was hyped up as the next best thing on this thread.

It didn't improve enough and the problems I had with the original I still have with this title. It's Tomb Raider +.

Sydle

I'm glad this flopped. I ended up buying it, but if I only owned a Playstation 4 I would of been pissed. I almost didn't buy the title out of principle. At least history will not repeat itself now that developers see first hand what happens when a Playstation associated franchise abandons their user base.

The game is highly overrated. Probably because of the exclusivity as fodder for the console wars. I ended up buying it because it was hyped up as the next best thing on this thread.

It didn't improve enough and the problems I had with the original I still have with this title. It's Tomb Raider +.

People have been pretty realistic about it being more of the same from the 2013 game, but better in all the things that one established. It's totally on you for buying into any hype.

In any case, it totally outclassed its predecessor and any other game from which the devs drew inspiration.

Diancecht

Just got an Xbox One last week, so I am playing this game for couple of days and I am absolutely loving it! I am taking my time and exploring every nook and cranny but I've just played two straight hours and kind of progressed the story. I am afraid the game is about to finish :/

How much do I left? I am 8 hours in, 48 percent completed and
I am about to enter to the Cathedral to find the Atlas.

Sydle

Just got an Xbox One last week, so I am playing this game for couple of days and I am absolutely loving it! I am taking my time and exploring every nook and cranny but I've just played two straight hours and kind of progressed the story. I am afraid the game is about to finish :/

How much do I left? I am 8 hours in, 48 percent completed and
I am about to enter to the Cathedral to find the Atlas.

You're about 60% through the story I think.

If you're really exploring every nook and cranny you have a lot more to do.

TheYanger

Your post history is actually painful to look at.

You have basically 2 posts talking about how awful tomb raider is, a shitload of posts talking about how fantastic PS4 is, and none of your posts about tomb raider actually discuss anything you think is bad about the game (except calling it short, which seems blatantly misguided and questionable at best).

What do you guys think of the story/VA. I'm not expecting it to be great or anything but is it at least better than the first?

It's not outstanding but it's certainly fine. It's about what you would expect. It's a lot better than the first game, and has more interesting villains/allies, but it's basically just your standard adventure movie type script. What really excels is the worldbuilding you get from audiologs/scrolls/etc this time, that stuff actually does flesh out the background a lot and has some interesting little subplots

hawk2025

What do you guys think of the story/VA. I'm not expecting it to be great or anything but is it at least better than the first?

I can't afford that, student with a large overdraft :(

It's about on the level of the first -- quite bad, IMO. Nothing is really engaging or particularly interesting.

Some might find it a slight improvement due to relying less on terrible extra characters, though, and they probably have a good point.

I mean, the thread said as much. There really hasn't been that many people that said it's a complete revolution over the reboot. Instead, it expands on the "hub" parts, does a much better job with the setpiece moments, but loses some with the combat. Obviously some will enjoy that more than others, but I definitely don't think this thread has been misleading on what the game actually is. And I take issue with baseless claims that people are overplaying things because of console wars. By all means, critique their opinions in specific points if you want to, but this catch-all argument is nonsense IMO.

zsynqx

It's not outstanding but it's certainly fine. It's about what you would expect. It's a lot better than the first game, and has more interesting villains/allies, but it's basically just your standard adventure movie type script. What really excels is the worldbuilding you get from audiologs/scrolls/etc this time, that stuff actually does flesh out the background a lot and has some interesting little subplots

It's about on the level of the first -- quite bad, IMO. Nothing is really engaging or particularly interesting.

Some might find it a slight improvement due to relying less on terrible extra characters, though, and they probably have a good point.

Thanks for the replies!

hawk2025

Put it this way:

There is no ESC-tshirt-wearing-Nerd-friend-that-sacrifices-himself-for-Lara moments. So that right there is already a big step up on the character front.

malfcn

Beat it. Forgot to go back and beat one Tomb. There goes that achievement.

At the end, what did you choose?
execute or spare?

TheYanger

Beat it. Forgot to go back and beat one Tomb. There goes that achievement.

At the end, what did you choose?
execute or spare?

You can just go back and beat the tombs and everything else after.

I blasted an arrow through his skull without hesitation

Top Bottom