• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Ricker

Well most of the hate has nothing to do with the actual game itself.

Yeah,I was going to say this...people hate that its an exclusive,came out on the same day as Fallout 4,etc etc but a lot of people cant wait to play it on PC or PS4 down the line,deservedly so,its an awesome game.

Bessy67

So are skill points like in the first game where you eventually unlock everything, or do you have to be more picky about what skills you choose in this one?

TheYanger

So are skill points like in the first game where you eventually unlock everything, or do you have to be more picky about what skills you choose in this one?

You won't get everything until after you beat the game if you keep grinding. But you'll get MOST of them before the end.

SlickVic

I feel I've missed something quite obvious, but does explosive crafting unlock later on in the story? I'm not figuring out how to make them. I mined some resources and a cave in Soviet Installation says I need to have explosives to enter, but I don't see any nearby to use. I'm coming back to the game after a couple weeks so don't remember if they explained before and I simply forgot.

OrochiJR

I just beat Tomb Raider Definitive Edition a few days ago and will propably start Rise this week. But I keep reading things about horrible input lag. How bad is it really, especially if you are coming off of the DE? Is it a known issue that is being worked on? I might start Xenoblade Chronicles X first if that's the case and come back when it's fixed. I'm really itching for my TR fix though...

TheYanger

I just beat Tomb Raider Definitive Edition a few days ago and will propably start Rise this week. But I keep reading things about horrible input lag. How bad is it really, especially if you are coming off of the DE? Is it a known issue that is being worked on? I might start Xenoblade Chronicles X first if that's the case and come back when it's fixed. I'm really itching for my TR fix though...

Some people seemt o have massive issues with it, but as long as your tv/monitor is set to game mode it should be fine. Except for a few sequences you're mostly sneaking/assassinating guys anyway, and if you really need to you can cheese any encounter with cans/poison arrows/explosive arrows and not even really need to aim. As long as you don't just try to pistol your way through the game it's REALLY easy regardless.

SlickVic

Admittedly this is a fairly minor issue, but for a game that was built first for Xbox One, I'm pretty surprised they don't support the Instant Resume feature. It gives the same generic 'your profile signed out so we're kicking you back out to the main menu' message that games that don't support Instant resume show.

It's of course a reasonable error message for a multiplayer game, but comes off a tad sally for single player games especially when other games don't have that issue. I know developing a game is a juggling act of trying to prioritize the most worthwhile features that can be reasonably achieved before it goes Gold, but it does surprise me that Microsoft doesn't require support for this as part of their QA process. I mean if enough games don't support it, the advantage of leaving the system in a higher power Instant On state becomes less pronounced.

TheYanger

Admittedly this is a fairly minor issue, but for a game that was built first for Xbox One, I'm pretty surprised they don't support the Instant Resume feature. It gives the same generic 'your profile signed out so we're kicking you back out to the main menu' message that games that don't support Instant resume show.

It's of course a reasonable error message for a multiplayer game, but comes off a tad sally for single player games especially when other games don't have that issue. I know developing a game is a juggling act of trying to prioritize the most worthwhile features that can be reasonably achieved before it goes Gold, but it does surprise me that Microsoft doesn't require support for this as part of their QA process. I mean if enough games don't support it, the advantage of leaving the system in a higher power Instant On state becomes less pronounced.

It has everything to do with the online functionality of those games, including tomb raider. The fact that you get signed out of XBL is the only reason this happens.

RoKKeR

Just fired the game up after a few weeks away and it is very clear they fixed the input lag. Game plays very smoothly now, much more responsive. Makes fighting and twitch aiming a hell of a lot easier.

Toa TAK

Banned
Prophet's Legacy pack is out, and with it a new outfit: Immortal Guardian

pPjHrAI.png

SlickVic

It has everything to do with the online functionality of those games, including tomb raider. The fact that you get signed out of XBL is the only reason this happens.

I'm just not seeing what having persistent online functionality is doing for this game during the campaign mode that it has to boot you out of the game if you sign out of XBL, especially compared to other single player games like Sunset Overdrive and Arkham Knight that supported Instant Resume just fine. I tried turning off online functionality in the menu last night in hopes that would enable instant resume (it didn't make a difference) and only difference I could tell while playing is it stopped showing friend's leaderboard scores in the pause screen. I'm pretty sure Sunset Overdrive was able to support leaderboards fine.

It's a minor issue and I really like the game itself, but instant resume and auto gameplay recording are 2 of the nicer luxuries this gen has brought, so it's just a bit unfortunate when the former is not supported. It's too bad the menu toggle for disabling online functionality doesn't make instant resume work.

TheYanger

I'm just not seeing what having persistent online functionality is doing for this game during the campaign mode that it has to boot you out of the game if you sign out of XBL, especially compared to other single player games like Sunset Overdrive and Arkham Knight that supported Instant Resume just fine. I tried turning off online functionality in the menu last night in hopes that would enable instant resume (it didn't make a difference) and only difference I could tell while playing is it stopped showing friend's leaderboard scores in the pause screen. I'm pretty sure Sunset Overdrive was able to support leaderboards fine.

It's a minor issue and I really like the game itself, but instant resume and auto gameplay recording are 2 of the nicer luxuries this gen has brought, so it's just a bit unfortunate when the former is not supported. It's too bad the menu toggle for disabling online functionality doesn't make instant resume work.

Oh I'm with you, was just stating why, and it's because in the single player you earn credits that you can spend on the packs for the expeditions. So it's using that stuff to give you online functionality even though the actual gameplay is independent of it.

I liked TR2013 but this game is dull. Bad level design and puzzles, boring enemy encounters, uninteresting story and too much upgrade/crafting focus.

I heard it was much better than the last so I am shocked to see how much worse it is.

TheYanger

I liked TR2013 but this game is dull. Bad level design and puzzles, boring enemy encounters, uninteresting story and too much upgrade/crafting focus.

I heard it was much better than the last so I am shocked to see how much worse it is.

Opinions are opinions, but the qualifier you put in the first sentence makes this entire post nonsensical. There's just literally nothing TR2013 does that this one doesn't do at least exactly as well, unless your favorite parts of the game were the QTEs.

Except a better setting, story, level design, pacing, encounters...

Don't get me wrong, TR2013 is still a poor man's Uncharted and not a patch on the original games, but it's better than this.

TheYanger

Or... I think 2013 is a better game. Shocker!

I highlighted the story line specifically, but none of the rest without any justification makes any sense either.

Encounter design in 2013: Hide behind an object as guys slide in on ropes or drop down from rooftops in groups of 2-4 at a time and you pop out and shoot them. Repeat for 4-5 waves at a time.

Encounter design in 2015: Go in guns blazing to get an experience similar to 2013 if you really want to, OR avoid combat as much as possible, distract enemies with bottles/cans/whatever, observe their paths and assassinate them quietly, take them out with bows shots, use traps on bodies to lure enemies to their deaths, turn a can into a grenade to blow someone up, whatever the fuck you want, honestly.

Similarly you talk about a focus on upgrades/crafting...what? Upgrades are handled almost entirely the same as the previous game in terms of "Accumulate salvage and things" "Press button to improve your weapons", there are simply more actual ways to do it and different weapons are actually different instead of just 'shotgun that is better than other shotgun'. Crafting...emphasis on what? You hold R to make some arrows, you can do it while you're moving, it literally costs you no time or effort. Crafting special arrows or cans or smoke jars are merely you deciding whether to use your resources or not. None of it is some tedious minigame or anything of the sort, hell you can beat the game without interacting with a lick of any of that shit. I mean, you wouldn't do that, because it's fucking stupid and it's probably the least tedious 'crafting' of all time, but y'know, you could.

Puzzles - there might as well not be a single puzzle in the first game besides the one tomb where you time the wind shutters opening to jump up the wall. I don't mean they don't exist, they do, but they're all painfully obvious and uninspired. RoTT aren't particularly hard, but they're a fair sight more creative than the non-puzzles from the first game.

Level design: Only thing there's not much to say about, I think the first game had pretty strong hub area design, too bad nothing about the game made you give a shit about exploring it, so most people didn't. This game on the other hand rewards you for exploring so, in that regard it beats it. But I don't think shipwreck beach or the mountain village were bad either.

It's a lot easier to have an opinion that seems so baseless taken seriously if you enter a discussion thread with points to discuss, like so. The games are similar enough that it's very simple to contrast them, which is probably why I seem so in disbelief about what you're saying here. Also, uncharted doesn't hold up nearly as well as you seem to imply. Tomb Raider 2013 was always better than all 3 Uncharted games (Albeit being informed by them, so it SHOULD have been better, just as Uncharted 4 should be better than TR2013).

Megatron

I spent last night after work making no story progress at all. I just went through the other levels finding some of the things I missed. It was wonderful. Really enjoyed it and still so much more to do.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm stuck and can't figure out where to go early on in the game. I was in the Soviet Installtion which is the first big area and after the campfire on the way to the Old Prison objective you cross over the bridge which breaks apart. I decided to go back thinking the bridge would just pop back up since I wasn't done investigating everything on the lower area, but now that I'm heading back the bridge is gone and saying I need Broadside Climbing Arrows or something. Every other place I go to I can't advance since I don't have Combat Knife, Rope Arrows or those Broadside arrows. How am I supposed to get to the objective? I didn't hit a game breaking glitch did I?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does anybody have any goddamn fucking clue how to pull of these goddamn fucking stupid high dive challenges? I do exactly what the description tells me and they don't register.

I know I am at th right spots.

Jesus Christ does this kind of crap annoy me in games.

Does anybody have any goddamn fucking clue how to pull of these goddamn fucking stupid high dive challenges? I do exactly what the description tells me and they don't register.

I know I am at th right spots.

Jesus Christ does this kind of crap annoy me in games.

Funny, I was just doing them today. Essentially there are two types of dives, the pencil dive where you jump legs first and a swan dive where you jump arms first. The jumps for the challenge require you to swan dive which means you've gotta jump and press left trigger at the same time. It's not consistent so there's a lot of trial and error unfortunately, annoyed me too but I got past it with enough tries.

I hate how they upped the ante on collectibles this time around though. So many things crammed everywhere and so many challenges that take forever to do. It's even worse when the map isn't multi-tiered so you can't see what's in caves or tombs and what's above ground.

Still though, I'm almost at the end of the game now. It's been fun.

TheYanger

I'm stuck and can't figure out where to go early on in the game. I was in the Soviet Installtion which is the first big area and after the campfire on the way to the Old Prison objective you cross over the bridge which breaks apart. I decided to go back thinking the bridge would just pop back up since I wasn't done investigating everything on the lower area, but now that I'm heading back the bridge is gone and saying I need Broadside Climbing Arrows or something. Every other place I go to I can't advance since I don't have Combat Knife, Rope Arrows or those Broadside arrows. How am I supposed to get to the objective? I didn't hit a game breaking glitch did I?

The broadside arrows aren't required for that part. You can get higher up from the southeast.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Has anyone been able to complete the sidequest titled Misguided Intelligence where you have to shoot down a bird? The damn bird will not show up anywhere and I have followed the walkthroughs online.

It seems to be a bug (based on what I've read online) and I was just curious if anyone here maybe found a solution.

TheYanger

Has anyone been able to complete the sidequest titled Misguided Intelligence where you have to shoot down a bird? The damn bird will not show up anywhere and I have followed the walkthroughs online.

It seems to be a bug (based on what I've read online) and I was just curious if anyone here maybe found a solution.

Yeah most people have but if you've got the bug I don't know that you can. I just wandered around until I saw a green bird and shot it :/

Started playing this today. Loving the production value this game provides me. Loooove it. Feels like im playing a great ass adventure movie. Starring the hot laura croft. Love the little details everywhere.

SlickVic

Oh I'm with you, was just stating why, and it's because in the single player you earn credits that you can spend on the packs for the expeditions. So it's using that stuff to give you online functionality even though the actual gameplay is independent of it.

Fair enough, I just wish when the game has an option to disable online features it would just turn off all that stuff.

I am definitely enjoying the game a lot. Not sure how far I am
just got a shotgun in the story
but really hope I'm not too close to the end.

Bessy67

Do bears ever respawn? I haven't finished the game yet so there might be some more coming up, but I need another hide for an outfit and I'd like to craft it soon.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found one in a cave where I'd already killed one so yes they do.

jmaine_ph

Can anyone help with this Trebuchet glitch? I'm getting shot by an invisible arrow and I can't seem to figure out what's going on

Edit: NVM I got it.

Bessy67

You can go back and explore anywhere there are collectibles later, right? I'm in
the cathedral
and I just found a monolith that marked some coin locations but I don't really want to backtrack now.

TheYanger

You can go back and explore anywhere there are collectibles later, right? I'm in
the cathedral
and I just found a monolith that marked some coin locations but I don't really want to backtrack now.

Yes, you can beat the game first and still get anywhere.

Daffy Duck

Fuck, my game is screwed.

It crashed whilst loading after I got killed and now won't load, I've restarted my Xbox but nothing, just gets stuck on a loading screen.

Daffy Duck

Did you try deleting the local save data? If you didn't, delete it, and then power cycle the Xbox.

That was my final option (at least I think it was that k deleted, was the local files or something) and it worked! Thank the Lord I was able to carry on. Only at the soviet installation but had found a lot of stuff and done all the tombs so far.

Freeman76

Enjoying this immensely! Can you go back and finish previous areas later? Im at the soviet installation and its 40% complete, want to move on soon and intend on 100%ing this

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i finished it last week and it's my GOTY easily. Yeah, the gunplay sucks, but I got over it after i unlocked the automatic headshot ability with the bow. Also upgraded my poison, explosive and flame arrows to destroy the enemies in the last act of the game.

At first I was overwhelmed by how much stuff they had you collect in the game, but once I got to the second main area (The Valley) I grew to enjoy the exploration and especially the Tombs. Having more elaborate puzzles in the Tombs was a big improvement IMO and one that gave the game a very adventure feeling.

I hate to make the Uncharted comparison so I will make a TLOU comparison. TLOU had collecting and upgrading stuff that made its gameplay much more varied than Uncharted. TR and RoTR both give you more options and I just love that about them.

I am still not sure if the story was great, and no one except for Lara was a decent character. At least the Villains were humanized by some good cutscenes, but there needs to be more. Loved the setpieces and loved the platforming sections after a big explosive setpiece. It's such a joy to traverse these environments using new tools lara acquires through out the game. Loved the pacing too. I am a huge MGS fan, but MGSV needed this pacing.

Did I mention the graphics? Everyone here knows this already, but my god the game looks gorgeous. Superb art direction too. Every area especially the mythical cities really blew me away. What a fantastic game.

It's an easy 9/10 for me.

Daffy Duck

Yeah, it's a fantastic game, shame it didn't do too well on the Xbox systems though as it needs far more people to play it, it's great.

I really feel they have given us more tomb raider with this game and all the exploring you can do in the areas. The challenge tombs are good fun if a little simple still.

I've not completed it (up to the part where you have to go rescue someone) though but I keep expecting it to go all UC1/2 on me any moment now, if you know what I mean.

Got RotTR along with my Xbox One for Christmas and I've spent the last few days basically playing through the campaign every chance I got.

Really loved this game, and it came out of nowhere for me. I enjoyed the 2013 Tomb Raider, but kind of just plowed through the story and didn't really feel any pull to go back to it afterwards. It was a game I thought was good, worth playing - but not something that instilled in me a strong desire for a sequel.

But man, now I can't wait for the next title in the series. I just finished up the campaign last night, and while it got expectedly combat heavy at the end, it really was a joy to play through. Definitely going to go back and at least finish up the optional Tombs I missed and the crypts as well.

I think one of the things I loved most about these entry, versus what I saw in the 2013 reboot, was that exploration was rewarded in smart ways. Finding the different audio journals, murals, and relics had a point, because it leveled up your language skills (along with some neat little short stories being told). Leveling up your language skills in turn let you use the various monoliths scattered around which then let you find coin caches, which then let you buy some cool gear.

Plus, the optional Tombs were some of the most fun I had in the game. Whenever I got a notification of one being near by I tried my best to hunt it out and (if I had the right gear) play through it. Shame the Tomb stuff wasn't more directly tied into the game, beyond being optional bonuses, but I am so glad it was in there at all as it really brought back that feeling you got when playing the original PSX Tomb Raiders.

Just wonderful stuff all around. For being probably one of the last games I'll play this year, it made a hell of an impression on me and will probably fall very close to the top of my personal GOTY list.

Can't recommend it enough!

Top Bottom