• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

3rdbass

Banned
I will go back to this game after the UC4 MP is over but right now my attention is there. I like this game but it is a little boring. I prefer a nice fast linear experience I guess and there are too many boring options in this game with the tombs.

TheYanger

I will go back to this game after the UC4 MP is over but right now my attention is there. I like this game but it is a little boring. I prefer a nice fast linear experience I guess and there are too many boring options in this game with the tombs.

Nothing stops you from just plowing through ignoring the side shit.

I've had this since release but didn't start playing it until last night because of Fallout. Enjoying it a lot so far. Incredible opener.

Hot damn, people.

Give peace a chance.

No,
fuck that guy, I also pierced his skull. Does anyone know if the story is altered if we spare him?

I finished the game at 81% clocking 45 hours (Sorry, I'm slow), and what a blast it was, and just when I thought the thrills were over, that after credits scene was the cherry on top. Hope we see another one after the poor sales tho :(

Fess

I'm glad this flopped. I ended up buying it, but if I only owned a Playstation 4 I would of been pissed. I almost didn't buy the title out of principle. At least history will not repeat itself now that developers see first hand what happens when a Playstation associated franchise abandons their user base.

The game is highly overrated. Probably because of the exclusivity as fodder for the console wars. I ended up buying it because it was hyped up as the next best thing on this thread.

It didn't improve enough and the problems I had with the original I still have with this title. It's Tomb Raider +.
What was it that you didn't like?
In my opinion it's basically a more open-world Uncharted with crafting and upgrades and more focus on the exploration than the gun fights. And the bow is awesome. If anything it's underrated because of the exclusivity, it stirred up too much negativity, I bet a multiplat release would've placed it among the GOTY nominees.

Orca

In my opinion it's basically a more open-world Uncharted with crafting and upgrades and more focus on the exploration than the gun fights. And the bow is awesome. If anything it's underrated because of the exclusivity, it stirred up too much negativity, I bet a multiplat release would've placed it among the GOTY nominees.

I think he covered it with the 'not on PS4' bit.

No,
fuck that guy, I also pierced his skull. Does anyone know if the story is altered if we spare him?

I finished the game at 81% clocking 45 hours (Sorry, I'm slow), and what a blast it was, and just when I thought the thrills were over, that after credits scene was the cherry on top. Hope we see another one after the poor sales tho :(
If you don't do anything he'll catch on fire and he falls to his death in a pit of flames as the floor beneath him crumbles. The story is still the same. The hilarious part is the game considers it a "Stealth Kill" and you get a lot of experience points.

malfcn

What the hell was this?

Screenshot-Original.png

That makes no sense. Being exclusive does not penalise the game from attaining GOTY. It has The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 to contend with as well.

gamerMan

I'm glad this flopped. I ended up buying it, but if I only owned a Playstation 4 I would of been pissed. I almost didn't buy the title out of principle. At least history will not repeat itself now that developers see first hand what happens when a Playstation associated franchise abandons their user base.

The game is highly overrated. Probably because of the exclusivity as fodder for the console wars. I ended up buying it because it was hyped up as the next best thing on this thread.

It didn't improve enough and the problems I had with the original I still have with this title. It's Tomb Raider +.

You probably went in knowing you were going to hate it. If you didn't like the first Tomb Raider, you probably aren't going to like this one.

I just got 1000 gs. The score attack stuff was painful...I really hated it. I would honestly rather have the multiplayer back over that, and the multiplayer was awful. There was only really one challenging mission, and it was only challening because it required an insane score to get gold...I almost think it might be a mistake in the scoring. All the missions pretty much came down to using the same cards over and over again. Just flip on infinite poison arrows and the same cards that increase your score the most.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story mode for the game. My only real complaint are the loading times. They took a very long time while fast traveling. Im also somewhat disappointed about how it had nothing to do with the characters from the first game, which the comics followed. And that it had no connections to the comics at all, you know, other than Lara...but I dont know who to blame for that.

m4st4

I feel so tempted to buy XBOX for this and Halo 5/Forza... but it's certainly an economic disaster of a decision, especially knowing this'll come out for PS4.

Thanks MS, for not caring enough for my little European country, I switched from 360 to PS4 without a blink.

Impulsor

I finished this game yesterday... I can confirm it is my GOTY, no doubt about that, the ending was incredible, the whole game had me hooked, the gameplay is fabulous, the scenary is beautiful, the toms are engaging.

I could praise this game for ever.

I encountered two non game breaking bugs though, that I hope they fix. Will play through this again on survival once they patch them.

Can't wait for baba yaga.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No,

I
walked away. You get a short distance away and the ground around him crumbles and he falls into a fiery pit to his death

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Gameplay for this game is legit. I am pretty disappointed in the story though. Not bad by any means just not that intriguing to me.

malfcn

Beat it on Survivor.
The last boss was incredibly easy.
It was the waves of enemies that was difficult.
I walked away.

Impulsor

I
walked away. You get a short distance away and the ground around him crumbles and he falls into a fiery pit to his death

Beat it on Survivor.
The last boss was incredibly easy.
It was the waves of enemies that was difficult.
I walked away.
Me too, and when
she walks away she says "You're not worth it" and when the floor crumbles "Burn in hell"

SO BADASS.

GOTY for me, no doubt in my mind

Yeah me too, amazing game. very underrated game.

Bad release date+exclusivity so not that much exposure maybe, in any case glad to know other people also find it to be their personal GOTY. :D

As long as I unlock the instant headshot ability for my Bow Survival difficulty should be super easy. I was constantly maxing out on healing equipment on Hard.

Ricker

Loving this as well...finally got the Shotgun and explosives stuff...time to head back to previous camps for a few Tombs that where blocked...also,what about those area's blocked by those bushes with torns on them...? I was sure fire would work on those but nope...and that sidequest in Hunter's Refuge about the bird...how do I reach him..? or do I have to kill it...? as soon as my arrow is close to it,it flies away.

F4r0_Atak

I am really happy to read that a whole lot of you folks are loving the game so far. Shame that a lot of Xbox players are missing out on this game... Hopefully sales will be better when they release it on PS4 and PC.

is it true the PC release has been moved up to Q1 of 2016?

It is possible and for people who are waiting to play this game on PC or PS4, just wanted to let you know that the game is already available for pre-order at EB Games (Canada) since December 6th. My guess is SE will probably announce their official release date quite soon. So stay tuned for upcoming infos!

Grisby

Loving this as well...finally got the Shotgun and explosives stuff...time to head back to previous camps for a few Tombs that where blocked...also,what about those area's blocked by those bushes with torns on them...? I was sure fire would work on those but nope...and that sidequest in Hunter's Refuge about the bird...how do I reach him..? or do I have to kill it...? as soon as my arrow is close to it,it flies away.
That moment when you get the shotgun was pretty cool.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It is possible and for people who are waiting to play this game on PC or PS4, just wanted to let you know that the game is already available for pre-order at EB Games (Canada) since December 6th. My guess is SE will probably announce their official release date quite soon. So stay tuned for upcoming infos!

Aww maaaan. I just picked this up on 360 last week. If it comes out on PC soon I'm going to be annoyed.

Anyway, how hard is this game? I'm going to start playing this game soon and I'm wondering what difficulty level to go with.

Aww maaaan. I just picked this up on 360 last week. If it comes out on PC soon I'm going to be annoyed.

Anyway, how hard is this game? I'm going to start playing this game soon and I'm wondering what difficulty level to go with.

depends on the parts, the beginning on the default difficulty was easy but when there are quick-time type events, its basically one wrong move and youre dead.

Ok,weird question, I will try to be vague enough.

I got to a part later in the game where you grab an item and then get chased.

I missed the camp though, as the cutscene caught me before I could go to it.

Is there another way to get up to that campsite above that bear spot?

TheYanger

depends on the parts, the beginning on the default difficulty was easy but when there are quick-time type events, its basically one wrong move and youre dead.

but...there aren't quick time events?

Bushes can't be touched, they're where animals spawn from.

TheYanger

There were a few small ones, but the were mainly just pressing B to dodge, then Y to hit. Off the top of my head, I can remember one with the
bear, and one with the final boss

The bear is the tutorial on how to dodge counter :p The other instance you mentioned is what I complained about earlier being the only QTE in the game. There's like 2 'mash x to kick/break thing' kind of prompts very early on too, but neither is a qte in any sense of the word.

The bear is the tutorial on how to dodge counter :p The other instance you mentioned is what I complained about earlier being the only QTE in the game. There's like 2 'mash x to kick/break thing' kind of prompts very early on too, but neither is a qte in any sense of the word.

i dont have a problem with any of them...but if a game slows down almost to a pause and tells you to press specific buttons or you immediately die, I consider that a QTE

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing this today on 360. The game looks pretty nice, but I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on some graphical bells and whistles. However I don't own an Xbox One so there's nothing I can really do about that. :)

The gameplay seems fun enough, and I can already tell that I'm going to be obsessed with collecting everything in the game, but I have to say I don't really buy the premise of the game after the first level.
Lara goes to Syria to search for the Prophet and doesn't find anything. Then she stumbles across a symbol of a cross and decides to go all the way to Siberia because she sees another cross in one of her dad's books? There are thousands of crosses on the planet; it's probably the most common symbol on Earth. That's a pretty flimsy excuse to go all the way across the world to a frozen wasteland.

However I feel like CD realized that this was a pretty weak excuse to hang the game on, so they have some random Trinity goon break into her house to attack her. He doesn't manage to kill her, but he runs away with the same stupid book that has a cross in it, and we're supposed to believe that now Trinity will definitely go to Siberia and we have to stop them? Come on, that's just silly.

The premise of TR2013 was so gripping because Lara was shipwrecked on an island and had no excuse but to find ways to survive and to get off the island. That is a very believable reason for why she would throw herself into danger. The premise in RotTR, on the other hand, is pretty weak and not very believable. I'll give the game some time to really get going though, since I have faith that the story will end up being pretty good.

TheYanger

i dont have a problem with any of them...but if a game slows down almost to a pause and tells you to press specific buttons or you immediately die, I consider that a QTE

Which I also consider a QTE - the game doesn't do it except for the tutorial aspect of showing you how to dodge counter, you might as well say it's a QTE the first time the trap hits her and it slows down to show you how to aim and shoot the spike trap - it's just tutorializing the action you do frequently by slowing it the first time you see it.

Thus - there is 1 QTE in the game.

jadedm17

Just started playing this today on 360.

The premise of TR2013 was so gripping because Lara was shipwrecked on an island and had no excuse but to find ways to survive and to get off the island. That is a very believable reason for why she would throw herself into danger. The premise in RotTR, on the other hand, is pretty weak and not very believable. I'll give the game some time to really get going though, since I have faith that the story will end up being pretty good.

I'll agree the overall premise can be picked apart easily but suspending disbelief for the sake of an adventure game of this scale helps.

Honestly the amount of things that break when she touches them is far more annoying IMHO; Like Jurassic World just accepting what's happening makes the difference of a horrible experience and an amazing one. (I'm still going with amazing, as I thought JW was.)

Impulsor

Just started playing this today on 360. The game looks pretty nice, but I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on some graphical bells and whistles. However I don't own an Xbox One so there's nothing I can really do about that. :)

The gameplay seems fun enough, and I can already tell that I'm going to be obsessed with collecting everything in the game, but I have to say I don't really buy the premise of the game after the first level.
Lara goes to Syria to search for the Prophet and doesn't find anything. Then she stumbles across a symbol of a cross and decides to go all the way to Siberia because she sees another cross in one of her dad's books? There are thousands of crosses on the planet; it's probably the most common symbol on Earth. That's a pretty flimsy excuse to go all the way across the world to a frozen wasteland.

However I feel like CD realized that this was a pretty weak excuse to hang the game on, so they have some random Trinity goon break into her house to attack her. He doesn't manage to kill her, but he runs away with the same stupid book that has a cross in it, and we're supposed to believe that now Trinity will definitely go to Siberia and we have to stop them? Come on, that's just silly.

The premise of the game is that Lara
Want's to clean her father's name since he was publicly shamed for talking about the divine source. Trinity want the divine source and Lara wants to find it to Clean her father's name as well as seeing for herself that her father was indeed right.

She's following a trail, and trinity
is following her

Way to simplify the premise of the game dude. It isn't complicated from the get go, but you just seem to have not payed any attention at all and oversimplified it way more.

I think it's a perfectly believable premise and setting.

Kysen

Finished the game a few days ago and can say the game is great but doesn't surpass the first game. Also the poison arrows are so overpowered, area effect stealth ranged one shot kill.

The tombs and storyline were better in this game but the setting wasn't as good.

Kalentan

Hey! The game arrived today from Amazon but I can't touch it yet on account of still needing to beat the first game.

In the first game I'm at the part where I need to go find the Captain of the plane that crashed. How far am I in? I got a feeling that I'm not very far.

Top Bottom