• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I need to grab this on a sale of some sort. Been itching for one of these sorts of games.

voltron

Taoofberg said:
I'm playing it now too, and it is more fun than I had hoped. If you're coming in blind, think if Oblivion and Dragon Age had a (slightly deformed) lovechild. If you found anything enjoyable in either of those games, there's something for you here.

Might have to check it out.

Just checked Play Asia but unfortunately the Asian (still english) version is sold out.

Ricker

There`s one big decision in this game that is very important,and a little confusing that people might miss or mess up...I found this guide very useful for that,and a lot of other stuff...the spoilerish things are clearly marked and all so it`s a great guide:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/risen/

spazzfish

I actually want to pick this game up, but for some reason it's not on steam (uk).
Steam sort it out, I really don't want to have to buy a physical copy of a game ever again.

Picked it up last week for the 360 and I can't stop playing it... Awesome game, if you can look past the horrid graphics. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to hear more about the sequel.

Truant said:
Specialize.

If you don't, you'll end up with a character that can't do anything properly.

I'm pretty sure I want to play a knight character, so what should I specialize in?
Also should I be picking every flower I see or are they useless?

BeeDog

Melhisedek said:
I'm pretty sure I want to play a knight character, so what should I specialize in?
Also should I be picking every flower I see or are they useless?

Specify what you mean by knight. Melee only? If so, put points in Axe, and in Strength (do not that by specializing in the Alchemy skill, you can create potions that permanently increase your strength, which is extremely helpful). Some points in Dexterity is also recommended, since a lot of enemies hit hard in close combat, so you'll want to cheese them from a distance.

And I highly recommend that you pick every plant you see. There are lots of rare plants in the environments that will increase your stats permanently (pixie hats, ogreroots, druid's hemlocks etc.). BUT DON'T EAT THEM! Save them for the potionmaking later. The common ingredient needed to make the rare potions is a plant called Hero's Crown, which are rare and found in the wilderness. Try to gather as many as possible and stock up on them before making potions.

Sorry, I meant "Warrior of the Order" If I recall there are 3 classes you can chose from and thats the one I plan on playing.
Should I still focus on melee or ?

epmode

So I wound up buying this on Thursday. ...My weekend... What happened to the weekend?

Really, this game is astounding and it flew completely under the radar. Reviewers are horrible people and they should feel bad.

Druz

epmode said:
So I wound up buying this on Thursday. ...My weekend... What happened to the weekend?

Really, this game is astounding and it flew completely under the radar. Reviewers are horrible people and they should feel bad.
:D Yeahhhhh!

epmode said:

Yeah I agree. I can't put my finger on it but this game is really addictive. Mostly I think it's well written and well voice-acted dialogue, and the exploration is fantastic. Hopefully they can tighten up the graphics on level 3 for the sequel so it can get more attention.

hm. should be a way to turn off the lod. especially for the trees it's HIDEOS. playing without dof so it looks even worse. maybe look into this

edit. I mean, this is a half-reply to neuromancer. game still looks great apart from the lod is what I was trying to write

Is the demo a good indicator of the rest of the game? Looking for a new CRPG to rock and I'm kind of on the fence. I traditionally don't like exploration based RPGs (for example hated Oblivion and was meh about Fallout 3) and usually prefer more story focused type RPGS (IE the Witcher and Dragon Age)

Figured I'd DL the demo later and choose between this and Drakensang.

Tears For Fears said:
I love how you can kill anything in this game.
Ghost Town
My wife was watching me play last night, and complaining because I was running around killing every animal I saw, even the lowly nautilus. I told her I had to for the experience, she was not convinced.

Neuromancer said:
My wife was watching me play last night, and complaining because I was running around killing every animal I saw, even the lowly nautilus. I told her I had to for the experience, she was not convinced.

LOL.:lol

BeeDog

Melhisedek said:
Sorry, I meant "Warrior of the Order" If I recall there are 3 classes you can chose from and thats the one I plan on playing.
Should I still focus on melee or ?

That's the only path I haven't taken yet. But I assume they're melee-oriented, and thus Axe is the best; but I have no idea if that particular path forces Staff fighting on you.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Sir Garbageman said:
Is the demo a good indicator of the rest of the game? Looking for a new CRPG to rock and I'm kind of on the fence. I traditionally don't like exploration based RPGs (for example hated Oblivion and was meh about Fallout 3) and usually prefer more story focused type RPGS (IE the Witcher and Dragon Age)

This game is definitely more focused than the Bethesda games. But just realize you're playing an Eastern European game and all the quirks Eastern European games provide (if you dug The Witcher you'll probably like Risen).

BeeDog

BlueTsunami said:
This game is definitely more focused than the Bethesda games. But just realize you're playing an Eastern European game and all the quirks Eastern European games provide (if you dug The Witcher you'll probably like Risen).

Eh, Risen is a German game.

EDIT: should've refreshed the page.

EDIT2: oh, and Risen is a much, much better game than The Witcher, so...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
BlueTsunami said:
As others have pointed out, you're wrong. Besides, these blanket statements are borderline racism.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
BlueTsunami said:
Take a chill pill, homeslice.
It's just sort of annoying, always reading this when eastern EU games are often quality titles. At least in my opinion.

Oh OK thanks, and that levels up automatically when you level up right? Or do you always have to buy the strength training?

Also I love the soundtrack, but got the game on the 360- any way to get it (legally)?

Ceebs

Neuromancer said:
Oh OK thanks, and that levels up automatically when you level up right? Or do you always have to buy the strength training?

Also I love the soundtrack, but got the game on the 360- any way to get it (legally)?
You have to go talk to the trainer and use your skill points+gold for every level of every skill and stat.

Ceebs said:
You have to go talk to the trainer and use your skill points+gold for every level of every skill and stat.
Ohhhhhhhhh

So how do you personally strike a balance between strength and sword skill? (Assuming your character is a swordsman.)

BeeDog

Neuromancer said:
Ohhhhhhhhh

So how do you personally strike a balance between strength and sword skill? (Assuming your character is a swordsman.)

Some levels (or one level) of the sword skill will increase the damage done by every blow anyway. But if you want to be melee oriented, you need to specialize in only one melee skill (out of the 3, Sword, Axe and Staff). I would recommend Axe since the strongest weapons are in this category. You'll also want to keep increasing the strength now and then (reaching a base Strength level of around 80 is great). Do note that there are potions that can permanently increase your Strength, but one thing to note is this; You can reach level 100 in Strength by using trainers, but after that you can't climb above 100 unless you use potions or other stuff. Thus, saving potions until you reach the higher levels of Strength is encouraged.

You should also spend 15 skill points on learning all Alchemy levels, since that's pretty damn essential to create perma-potions further along in the game. Also, don't waste skill points on Mana, Dexterity, Acrobatics and Pickpocketing.

(Acrobatics can be had with a ring, and the ones I mentioned above are pretty worthless if you're going melee-only. Dexterity can be increased a lot by eating Pixie Hats without making perma-potions out of them, and Pickpocketing is the most worthless skill in the game)

Is it possible for your skills ever to go down? Because I could have sworn I had 100 strength (through trainers mostly) but now that I look at it, I only have 94...

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out... I had an amulet equipped that gave me a strength buff, then I mistakenly unequipped it.

Druz

Sir Garbageman said:

Demo is not a good indicator. You're funneled in the demo. Drakensang would never win btw.

Druz said:
Demo is not a good indicator. You're funneled in the demo. Drakensang would never win btw.

Drakensang was awesome. I haven't played Risen yet, so I can't compare, but I had a great time with that one.

Question: I'm at the start of chapter 3, about to go into the gate. Is that a point of no return? If I have things I still want to do out in the world, is now a good time to do them? Thanks.

Ceebs

Neuromancer said:
Question: I'm at the start of chapter 3, about to go into the gate. Is that a point of no return? If I have things I still want to do out in the world, is now a good time to do them? Thanks.
There is never a point of no return. The only thing progressing through the game does is change what creatures are roaming around.

Aklamarth

360 version

From a tehnical point of view, this game is a world class clusterfuck (fuck you too Wizarbox ....at least remove Risen from your site dickheads. NOBODY who knows about the 360 version of Risen will EVER hire you for porting jobs). I mean...they managed to fuck up even the camera !!!

Grrrrrr......no more "experimental" purchases for me.

Ceebs said:
There is never a point of no return. The only thing progressing through the game does is change what creatures are roaming around.
Oh OK, that's good news. Thanks.

Aklamarth said:
360 version

From a tehnical point of view, this game is a world class clusterfuck (fuck you too Wizarbox ....at least remove Risen from your site dickheads. NOBODY who knows about the 360 version of Risen will EVER hire you for porting jobs). I mean...they managed to fuck up even the camera !!!

Grrrrrr......no more "experimental" purchases for me.
Oh it's not that bad :lol

The graphics are about as horrendous as I've ever seen on a next gen console, and there's a 2 second lag every time you kill an enemy, but other than that its OK. :D

Neuromancer said:
Picked it up last week for the 360 and I can't stop playing it... Awesome game, if you can look past the horrid graphics. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to hear more about the sequel.

My graphic card in my PC died when my mobo blew up few weeks ago, now I have crappy old ATI in there until they send me replacement. Found 360 version for $24.00 today so I pick it up based entirely on your comment!

If the control is OK, I don't mind the horrid graphic.

Hey I'm on chapter 4 and all of a sudden I've been having the game lock up on me while loading saves (when I first start up the game it's fine, but always locks up when I load a save in-game or after I die). Has anyone else run into this issue? (360 version) I tried making a new save file and deleting the one that kept locking up, and that seemed to work for a little while, but now I'm back to constant freezing again.

Neuromancer said:
The controls are a little clunky, but nothing you can't overcome.

I have been playing a bit of it and yeah, control is driving me nut. It's PC interface map to 360 dpad essentially. I like the story so far and the exploration part is very nice.

Graphic is well...pretty ugly and the constant stoping while it autosave or load the next section can be pretty annoying.

I will give it a few days see if I can get use to the control.

Jinaar

Read the whole thread. The game basically sounds and feels like an open world Demon's Souls (which I poured my life into).

I played the demo last night for 7 minutes, computer ran it fine on full settings, fawesome. Tonight after work, click on STEAM, purchase, play. Exploration RPG all over face with constant dying. I am in love.

Jinaar said:
Read the whole thread. The game basically sounds and feels like an open world Demon's Souls (which I poured my life into).

I played the demo last night for 7 minutes, computer ran it fine on full settings, fawesome. Tonight after work, click on STEAM, purchase, play. Exploration RPG all over face with constant dying. I am in love.
Good move. I just beat it the other night; other than a few glitches it was an awesome experience overall.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I'm really glad people are enjoying this game. It is waiting for me at home, just arrived today from Goozex. I may fire it up tonight and test it out.

Two Worlds II is my most anticipated game of the fall. I think it looks miles better than the first, and I wish we had more CRPG-style games on the consoles. Even if they take a hit in the porting. Hell, I wish we had Witcher on the consoles. Someday I'll update my PC...

Kelegacy said:
I'm really glad people are enjoying this game. It is waiting for me at home, just arrived today from Goozex. I may fire it up tonight and test it out.

Two Worlds II is my most anticipated game of the fall. I think it looks miles better than the first, and I wish we had more CRPG-style games on the consoles. Even if they take a hit in the porting. Hell, I wish we had Witcher on the consoles. Someday I'll update my PC...
I'm also very interested in Gothic 4: Arcania, also coming this fall.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Neuromancer said:
I'm also very interested in Gothic 4: Arcania, also coming this fall.
Yeah, me too. Though it's not the original guys doing it like they did with G1-3 and Risen.

Top Bottom