• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Have you been selling stuff you don't need? You can make quite of a bit of cash just selling off crap and weapons you won't use.

Is it odd that I haven't found anyone to train me in prospecting by chapter two or was that the case for most people?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
When do you start coming across more gold? I can't beleive they want 500 for some bandit armor at the swamp. I haven't even accumilated that much gold in my 3 hours of playing.

I didn't start seeing any real money until I left the swamp and hit the city, but exploring seems to be bringing in the most gold through chests, hunting trophies and whatnot.

BioNut

Banned
brain_stew said:
Then turn it off? Its a PC game, you don't have to suffer effects you don't like.

I, um, did.

I figured that would have been implied when I said I didn't like it, lol.

BeeDog

CabbageRed said:
Is it odd that I haven't found anyone to train me in prospecting by chapter two or was that the case for most people?

I didn't start seeing any real money until I left the swamp and hit the city, but exploring seems to be bringing in the most gold through chests, hunting trophies and whatnot.

I learned prospecting in chapter 1. It's Olf (or whatever his name was, the oldest triplet) that teaches you this, if you get him out of custody.

BioNut

Banned
CabbageRed said:

One of the triplets (the one that got captured) will teach you prospecting in harbor town.

BeeDog said:
I learned prospecting in chapter 1. It's Olf (or whatever his name was, the oldest triplet) that teaches you this, if you get him out of custody.

Oh! I hadn't even looked into that quest yet. Thanks.*

*To both BeeDog and BioNut

syllogism

slasher_thrasher21 said:
When do you start coming across more gold? I can't beleive they want 500 for some bandit armor at the swamp. I haven't even accumilated that much gold in my 3 hours of playing.
I finished the game and I never had more than 7000ish which is amusing considering there's an achievement for getting 300,000. As a packrat I never sold more than I needed but even then I wonder if it's even possible to get that much.

BioNut

Banned
Everyone that is having trouble with combat needs to start hording the "summon skeleton" spell.

Not only is
Fred
the skeleton amazingly awesome but he also is a pretty good tank. Makes it much easier to kill gouls and other baddies later on.

I take back one of my previous comments.
Fred the uber skeleton is the one NPC I care about and he doesn't have a single line of dialogue. Sometimes I find myself saying, "Come one Fred, lets get out of here" after finishing up another dungeon.
Am I weird? I think Fable 2's dog did this to me.

Confidence Man said:
Risen2009-10-0510-29-49-59.jpg

Risen2009-10-0510-37-25-84.jpg

Risen2009-10-0510-43-19-45.jpg

Risen2009-10-0510-45-46-59.jpg

Game is soooo nice looking. Comparisons to Oblivion have to be a joke. Even with modded textures and stuff, the lighting and shadows in Risen are far beyond what that game is capable of.

That's not even considering the artistic elements, with the larger varieties of flora and the sculpted world that doesn't look like it was made in a terrain generator.

Damn that's beautiful.

I do pick up and sell as much stuff as possible but right now it just seems like I'm not getting any upgrades since even when you level up you just get learning points. only thing I've been able to really get is my strength up.

I'd like to get some better weapons and some sort of armor since I'm literally still wearing what I started the game with three hours in.

BioNut

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I do pick up and sell as much stuff as possible but right now it just seems like I'm not getting any upgrades since even when you level up you just get learning points. only thing I've been able to really get is my strength up.

I'd like to get some better weapons and some sort of armor since I'm literally still wearing what I started the game with three hours in.

You should level sword fighting before strength if you are going that route. Leveling that will give you more moves and make combat less impossible.

I made the mistake of leveling strength but keeping sword fighting at 1 till chapter 2 lol. Man I am dumb.

BeeDog

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Don't worry, once you start finding shit, you'll never have to look back at your shitty starting gear.

Zeliard

It's stunning how beautiful this game is at times, especially walking around with the sunrays shining down. At one point in the game I rounded a tall cliff and as I turned the corner, the sun started beaming brightly in my eyes, steadily growing brighter as I moved forward and less and less of the cliff blocked out the sun. I ended up on top of a plateau overlooking the ocean, everything in the scene lit up really nicely. The whole thing was so pretty that it gave me pause. I think I literally said "wow".

Different times of day have completely different looks and feels, as well, and that's not even taking into account weather.

BioNut said:
You should level sword fighting before strength if you are going that route. Leveling that will give you more moves and make combat less impossible.

I made the mistake of leveling strength but keeping sword fighting at 1 till chapter 2 lol. Man I am dumb.

Where do you level swords up at?

Zeliard

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Where do you level swords up at?

I'm still fairly near the beginning - I know that in the swamp camp, various guys will train you in different things like sword fighting, hunting, bow+arrow/crossbow, etc. It costs some gold and ability points, the latter of which you gain by leveling.

I'm assuming there are also peeps in Harbour Town and other areas that will train you. I think I need to leave the swamp pretty soon since I want my guy to basically be a mage/archer (mostly since I don't like the sword combat in the game), and I'm not sure that anyone there teaches magic.

Zeliard said:
I'm still fairly near the beginning - I know that in the swamp camp, various guys will train you in different things like sword fighting, hunting, bow+arrow/crossbow, etc. It costs some gold and ability points, the latter of which you gain by leveling.

I'm assuming there are also peeps in Harbour Town and other areas that will train you. I think I need to leave the swamp pretty soon since I want my guy to basically be a mage/archer (mostly since I don't like the sword combat in the game), and I'm not sure that anyone there teaches magic.

Yeah I need to finish the story stuff in the swamp before moving onto somewhere else, unless I can't and am forced to go somewhere else before I can progross? Does anyone know if I can do most of the stuff in swamp before going on, or would it be best adviced to leave and come back?

Dennis

Banned
Tell me GAF what other games has better lighting than this game?

The only one comparable I can think of is Crysis.

Love the way they have used light and color for atmosphere.

BioNut

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok this... is crucial information! Thank you! :D

Craig in the swamp will teach you sword fighting. It costs 10 lp.

There is also a guy on the side of the brothel (close to the seawall) that will teach you swordfighting.

For those that don't know the crossbow is pretty much a sniper rifle. I think at rank 2 you can zoom in with right mb.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The Crossbow also uses strength not dexterity.

dionysus

Yaldog
BioNut said:
Craig in the swamp will teach you sword fighting. It costs 10 lp.

There is also a guy on the side of the brothel (close to the seawall) that will teach you swordfighting.

For those that don't know the crossbow is pretty much a sniper rifle. I think at rank 2 you can zoom in with right mb.

Do headshots matter? I haven't noticed.

Zeliard

dionysus said:
Do headshots matter? I haven't noticed.

I think they do. I've killed certain enemies with one shot to the head from a bow and arrow, and that was at level 2 for that weapon. One time, this one creature was running at me and I shot it in the head when it got somewhat near and it slumped down and slid a few feet forward. Looked awesome.

Macmanus

Just picked this up on the weekend, and holy god is it incredible. Real old school RPG vibe combined with some of the best flora I've seen in a video game.

Shame that I suck and get my ass kicked all the time.

Solo

Whats with the terrible console version scores? I know the graphics stink, but surely that cant be it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Myr said:
Just found an evil looking 2H sword in some ruins. 66 strength required :(

I'm using that 1 handed right now. Having maxed out Sword Fighting is bloody awesome.

Solo said:
Whats with the terrible console version scores? I know the graphics stink, but surely that cant be it?

I think that is the main problem with the game. Along with some bad lighting (too dark sometimes), and some moments of unstable framerate. I ordered the 360 version but it wont hit here till sometime next week. Then I found a pc copy randomly and bought it on a wime and playing it now. Its a great game.

I did hear that over on the official forums that a xbox patch will be released that included brightness control, updated textures, and some other minor fixes.

I think anyone that only has access to a 360 and enjoyes these sorta games, def can look past its graphics and get involved in the game...or so are the impressions from other 360 players so far.

Zeliard

Solo said:

Terrible graphics and also terrible controls, apparently. Both of these things damage this sort of game heavily. The game puts huge emphasis on exploration, and you don't want to be going around gazing at ugly shit. Game's flat-out gorgeous on the PC.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love how the game rewards you for exploring, you can have a sword&shield by the time you reach the first ruins if you look around.

I'm sitting at work right now, and all I can think about is how in like an hour I can play the game more. I have a gameplan and everything that I've worked up in my head.

DennisK4 said:

Damn.....Dennis you have sold me. Now to find out if my Macbook Pro can make it look even a fraction as beautiful.

Zeliard

DennisK4 said:

Other games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 have really nice lighting, but I haven't been as amazed by lighting just walking around a game world since Crysis.

Deacan said:
I love how the game rewards you for exploring, you can have a sword&shield by the time you reach the first ruin if you look around.

I found two different spots with a short and shield laying around right at the start of the game. One was in a pretty-looking alcove, I believe, and I think the other was near the beach. This is definitely the type of game where you want to roam around.

Also, did anyone end up fighting Lorenzo in the swamp? :lol

He
tricks you into going to explore some cavern or something, and then you reach a clearing some distance from the camp where he threatens to beat you down if you don't give him some gold. I ended up slaying his bitch ass (in a lengthy and tough fight) and got a better sword from him. Too bad I couldn't steal his armor (why is that, anyway? is it impossible to loot armor from corpses?)

Solo said:

The biggest appeal of the game is exploring the incredible scenery, so its obviously going to lose a a huge amount of its appeal when you take away those incredible graphics. Add to that poor controls, brightness odities, shoddy performance, tiny text unsuitable for couch playing and probably most of all a userbase/set of critics that laud production values and hand holding over deep gameplay and player choice and you've got a recipe for disaster.

This is proper Euro-PC game, warts and all, its just not compatible with current console userbase, its a PC title through and through. Chuck a rushed port of something like Heart of Iron 3 on the 360 and just watch it receive sub 50% scores accross the board, despite the fact its one of the best thought out, deep and most intelligent games you'll ever likely play.

Zeliard said:
Other games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 have really nice lighting, but I haven't been as amazed by lighting just walking around a game world since Crysis.

I found two different spots with a short and shield laying around right at the start of the game. One was in a pretty-looking alcove, I believe, and I think the other was near the beach. This is definitely the type of game where you want to roam around.

Also, did anyone end up fighting Lorenzo in the swamp? :lol

He
tricks you into going to explore some cavern or something, and then you reach a clearing some distance from the camp where he threatens to beat your ass if you don't give him some gold. I ended up slaying his bitch ass and got a better sword. Too bad I couldn't steal his armor (why is that, anyway? is it impossible to loot armor from corpses?)
Yeah that dick, I was all excited because I though we were heading to a ruins. What a ahole.

Solo

How is the PC performance? Im always wary of these eastern European games - they are usually awesome and unique, but janky in terms of optimization (get out of here, Stalker!).

Zeliard

PC performance is pretty good. I max the game out and I'm still on an 8800GTX. The voice acting is also 10x better than I expected it to be.

Cat in the Hat said:
Yeah that dick, I was all excited because I though we were heading to a ruins. What a ahole.

Same here! lmao!

BTW... where is these sheild people are talking about. I could REALLY use one right about now!

Solo said:
How is the PC performance? Im always wary of these eastern European games - they are usually awesome and unique, but janky in terms of optimization (get out of here, Stalker!).

Just download the demo, its only rival in terms of lighting technology and quality is Crysis, so it obviously has some steep demands but the framerate stays around the same throughout and doesn't suffer from spikes and sudden drops, which makes a huge difference. As long as you've got a 8800GT or above you should be very happy, I'd imagine.

Zeliard

Cat in the Hat said:

Seriously. :lol

I was like "awesome, I'm going to go explore some ruins with this swamp-dwelling badass and we're gonna slay a bunch of crazy monsters, woo!"

Fuggin' prick.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Same here! lmao!

BTW... where is these sheild people are talking about. I could REALLY use one right about now!

You gotta put on your exploration cap! :p

Or just buy a cheap shield from the blacksmith in the camp.

brain_stew said:
Just download the demo, its only rival in terms of lighting technology and quality is Crysis, so it obviously has some steep demands but the framerate stays around the same throughout and doesn't suffer from spikes and sudden drops, which makes a huge difference. As long as you've got a 9800GT or above you should be very happy, I'd imagine.

I imagine future patches will also optimize the performance further.

Yasae

Banned
Durante said:
Regarding the combat, what actually is "good" combat in action RPGs? I certainly think that Risen's combat is more interesting than Oblivion's, but that wasn't particularly great either. Then there's the Diablo-type attack/skill spam type, but that really wouldn't fit a game like this. Is there some really amazing action RPG combat system I'm unaware of?
No, there isn't. That makes my point even stronger.

Fallout 3 didn't have it.

Mass Effect kind of had it, though it's basically just a third-person shooter with mild RPG aspects when it comes to combat.

The Squaresoft Mana games didn't have it.

Kingdom Hearts didn't have it.

Oblivion didn't have it.

Morrowind definitely didn't have it.

The Witcher didn't have it.

Phantasy Star Online didn't have it.

Jade Empire didn't have it.

I'd count these as mostly unsuccessful attempts at creating a good action-RPG fighting system. That's why I don't like ARPGs as much as more traditional games in the genre.

painey

this game persuaded me to finally pick up the Witcher and im installing the Enhanced edition on the PC now. It will be nice to switch between the two.

Zeliard said:
Seriously. :lol

You gotta put on your exploration cap! :p
Or just buy a cheap shield from the blacksmith in the camp.

Well if I can find a free one somewhere surely that will do. Though I'm guessing I will have to get out of the swamps and go back to the early start area of the game!

And man, I love the drunk guy, cracks me up so much... the arshole!

Uh oh. Does Olf (and his prospecting skill) vanish after the first chapter if you do not free him? I still have two of the golden bowl quests, but Olf is nowhere in the building where he was imprisoned, and the other two triplets are not showing up where the quest map says they are. Not being able to prospect would be a pretty big loss.

Durante

One thing I found amusing is how everyone in harbour town is puzzling over how to get out. When I needed to
I just ran up the rampart jumped over the wall :lol. If you do it at the right place there's no fall damage and no guards will be alerted.

Regarding performance, I actually think the game runs very well for what it does. It's an open world RPG with no loading at all and amazing lighting, and it runs at higher FPS than Oblivion on my system while also looking better and without any of the loading stutters. And it actually has building interiors and dungeons in the same worldspace and doesn't need doors on its caves.

Lorenzo was my fifth fight in the game or so, took a while :lol
The thing is, I actually somewhat expected things to turn out the way they did from his demeanour. Really well done.

Top Bottom