• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Zeliard

brain_stew said:
The biggest appeal of the game is exploring the incredible scenery, so its obviously going to lose a a huge amount of its appeal when you take away those incredible graphics. Add to that poor controls, brightness odities, shoddy performance, tiny text unsuitable for couch playing and probably most of all a userbase/set of critics that laud production values and hand holding over deep gameplay and player choice and you've got a recipe for disaster.

This is proper Euro-PC game, warts and all, its just not compatible with current console userbase, its a PC title through and through. Chuck a rushed port of something like Heart of Iron 3 on the 360 and just watch it receive sub 50% scores accross the board, despite the fact its one of the best thought out, deep and most intelligent games you'll ever likely play.

Supreme Commander is a prime recent example of this phenomenon.

Victrix

*beard*
Not really, the current design of RTS games does not lend them well to pad control, which guarantees that straight ports of PC RTS titles that aren't rebuilt for pad controls won't be good, even if there aren't technical issues

Risen is the other way around, there's nothing in the controls that can't be handled comfortably on a pad, it's just a bad technical port

Durante

Regarding the graphical downscaling of the 360 version I don't know how much you can blame the port developers and how much you have to "blame" the game design for simply not being compromised for consoles. Remember the separate world spaces for cities in Oblvion? And the separate spaces for houses inside those city spaces, how there isn't a single window you can look through? 512 MB total memory.

painey

CabbageRed said:
Uh oh. Does Olf (and his prospecting skill) vanish after the first chapter if you do not free him? I still have two of the golden bowl quests, but Olf is nowhere in the building where he was imprisoned, and the other two triplets are not showing up where the quest map says they are. Not being able to prospect would be a pretty big loss.

I think the triplets vanish after chapter 1 ends meaning 2 achievements can't be obtained :(

Zeliard

Victrix said:
Not really, the current design of RTS games does not lend them well to pad control, which guarantees that straight ports of PC RTS titles that aren't rebuilt for pad controls won't be good, even if there aren't technical issues

Some RTS have worked relatively decently on consoles. It's a different story with SupCom because that game is so deep and complex even by PC RTS standards. The technical horror that the 360 version ended up being only contributed to the port's lack of success.

It's basically the same thing with Risen. Risen is a deep, very open and very unforgiving game, and as such it's not exactly the type of game the console crowd... crowds around. Beyond just the technical aspects, it's a pure PC game. Oblivion is essentially the sort of open-world RPG that works on consoles - heavily simplified and streamlined, from the quests and dialogue system on down to the leveling up and exploration (level scaling in Oblivion means you never risk facing very tough opponents while exploring, which happens all the time in Risen and is one of its coolest attributes).

BioNut

Banned
BeeDog said:
Fuck ghouls,
giant scorpions, lizardmen and ASHBEASTS.
Fuck them all, I get assraped everywhere. :(

Get Fred the skeleton and your worries will vanish.

Except for the
Ashbeasts. You have to turn into one to kill one or stand up on a rock and launch 50 arrows at it like I did
:D.

BioNut

Banned
Gaaraa said:
You will see the triplets again in a temple, not sure if the bowl quest can be finished then though.

Yeah they disappear because they are part of the story later on.

BioNut

Banned
dionysus said:
Do headshots matter? I haven't noticed.

I think its rank 2 with bows and rank 3 with crossbows for headshots to matter. Could be wrong though.

When you rank up a skill the NPC actual gives you a dialogue like he/she is teaching you. Listen because that usually tells you what you are getting (if the tooltip didn't already).

Zeliard

I've been surprised by some of the dialogue in this game, especially the number of times it references back to something you've already done, or someone you've talked to.

Victrix

*beard*
BioNut said:
Get Fred the skeleton and your worries will vanish.

Funny you should mention that, I was just exploring a cave filled with OH GOD GHOULS, and I ran into a hideous Ashbeast. Figuring, why not, I'll give it a shot, I loaded up on buffing spells and charged into melee, supported by my friendly conjured skeleton...

except, after the fight, I noticed it wasn't just any skeleton, it was Fred the skeleton :lol

Risen%202009-10-05%2017-01-54-20.jpg

apparently the scroll was Conjure Fred

I have the Rune for conjure skeleton, but still need more wisdom before I can learn third seal magic

ah I love this game

Binabik15

I just played the demo, was running okay-ish on my laptop.

But if I buy a new pc, this´ll be one of the first things I install. Leaving Sarah to go cave exploring and slaying gnomes and wolves =:D But I didn´t find a shield, just lot´s of knives and a sword.

Then the demo ended, I couldn´t even try to mess with the Inquisition guy ;_;

Victrix

*beard*
I have no idea, I thought it was a generic Conjure Skeleton scroll I used, but Fred appeared

Who knows, maybe its a random chance from any scroll? Or based on your magic skill? Or just that one scroll?

Victrix said:
I have no idea, I thought it was a generic Conjure Skeleton scroll I used, but Fred appeared

Who knows, maybe its a random chance from any scroll? Or based on your magic skill? Or just that one scroll?

Ok so then where can I find the scroll to conjure skeletons? :D I am sure I could find it on my own in due time, but I'd prefer to see if I can get it asap to help me in the game.

Gaaraa said:
You will see the triplets again in a temple, not sure if the bowl quest can be finished then though.

Ah, that's good to hear; it would have been a strange oversight otherwise. Of course, I was already looking to restart and used prospecting as my excuse but still... nice to know. :p Thanks :)

Victrix

*beard*
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok so then where can I find the scroll to conjure skeletons? :D I am sure I could find it on my own in due time, but I'd prefer to see if I can get it asap to help me in the game.

They're scattered here and there, but scrolls won't help you much overall - they're one shot. The Rune is only useful if you're a Mage, and you can't use it until Rune level 3, so I wouldn't get overeager - if you're a mage, you'll probably find it by the time you can use it :p

BioNut

Banned
Victrix said:
They're scattered here and there, but scrolls won't help you much overall - they're one shot. The Rune is only useful if you're a Mage, and you can't use it until Rune level 3, so I wouldn't get overeager - if you're a mage, you'll probably find it by the time you can use it :p

Even if you join the Don you can go to the monastery and learn to make scrolls.

For fred you just need to buy or find the raise skeleton rune and then gather some bone/blank spell pages. Then you can make Fred scrolls till your hearts content.

Best NPC in the game and hilarious too.

Ok sweet guys, thanks for all the info. Since I'm at work, figured I'd learn what I can so when I go back to playing I can apply it all. :D

BeeDog

This game is extra awesome when you clear out areas with a friendly NPC (mini-spoiler:
like the gnome island together with Henrik, just did that
). I'm surprised by how good the waypathing is of the AI; they can really keep up with you.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I am freaking addicted to this game, even still in chapter 1. This is my first "true" WRPG (I'm not going to count Mass Effect or STALKER), and I'm simply blown away by how amazing an experience this is for me as a gamer. It was 6AM this morning, and I hadn't slept a minute. :lol

Once the flow of combat clicked for me, it all came together. Sword fights can get so epic!

This is going to make my top 10 favorites list, guaranteed.

Zeliard

Anyone know if there's any point where you can hire (or persuade, or whatnot) an NPC to stick with you permanently, Fallout-style?

I guess stronger enemies do reappear in places you've already cleared, at least after Chapter 1.

On a whim I went back to the hut where I left that girl only to find a bunch of black wolves and other tougher creatures.

BeeDog

Confidence Man said:
I guess stronger enemies do reappear in places you've already cleared, at least after Chapter 1.

On a whim I went back to the hut where I left that girl only to find a bunch of black wolves and other tougher creatures.

It has always been like that with Piranha Bytes games; after each chapter change, they repopulate certain areas with a few new enemies. No major changes though, outside of story progression changes (so far I've only encountered one such change in this game, it was much, much more prominent in Gothic 2).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
K.Jack said:
I am freaking addicted to this game, even still in chapter 1. This is my first "true" WRPG (I'm not going to count Mass Effect or STALKER), and I'm simply blown away by how amazing an experience this is for me as a gamer. It was 6AM this morning, and I hadn't slept a minute. :lol

Once the flow of combat clicked for me, it all came together. Sword fights can get so epic!

This is going to make my top 10 favorites list, guaranteed.

You're probably gonna jizz in your pants when you play Gothic 1/2.

Druz

It's bizarre to see a Piranha Bytes game get tons of praise on a forum... there was only a few other Gothic fans on here.

Zeliard said:
He
tricks you into going to explore some cavern or something, and then you reach a clearing some distance from the camp where he threatens to beat you down if you don't give him some gold. I ended up slaying his bitch ass (in a lengthy and tough fight) and got a better sword from him. Too bad I couldn't steal his armor (why is that, anyway? is it impossible to loot armor from corpses?)

Upgrading armour in gothic titles is always one of the big character builders, it's why it's always so expensive, but once you have it...it's like...yeah i can kick more ass now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K.Jack said:
Is there a way to sneak into the monastery?

You can jump out, so there might be some way to get in with some combination of skilled jumping and the levitation spell.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This game goes from great to GODLY once you hit chapters 3 and 4. It's like "Hey you had your fun roaming the island, exploring stuff and killing shit. Now it's time to get down to business." HUGE epic dungeons, full of insta kill traps, puzzles and absolutely positively no hand holding.

Sooooo good.

Chichikov

Wow, this game has the most ghetto DD I've seen in ages.
7 separate files you right click->save as?
What year is this?
(and no, I'm not installing Steam, let's not go there).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
This game goes from great to GODLY once you hit chapters 3 and 4. It's like "Hey you had your fun roaming the island, exploring stuff and killing shit. Now it's time to get down to business." HUGE epic dungeons, full of insta kill traps, puzzles and absolutely positively no hand holding.

Sooooo good.

I'm definitely enjoying chapters 3 and 4 (3 was a bit too short, though), but I have seen some people on other forums list the sudden change in focus as a negative. I am not sure where I stand on the issue, but I do think it would have been nice to have some new quests pop up in older areas for the last two chapters. The dungeons are really fun though so I don't really mind the linear focus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chichikov said:
Wow, this game has the most ghetto DD I've seen in ages.
7 separate files you right click->save as?
What year is this?
(and no, I'm not installing Steam, let's not go there).

Where did you buy it from that requires you to download seven separate files?

Out of curiosity, what is your problem with Steam?

Chichikov

Zefah said:
Where did you buy it from that requires you to download seven separate files?

Out of curiosity, what is your problem with Steam?
From the developer's website, they have a link for Steam and their own (I think) DD shop.
Given the option I'll always choose the store that leaves more money in the hands of the dev.

As for my issues with Steam (and I really don't want to derail this thread) suffice to say that I don't like their vision for DD, I want something small, lightweight and that would not run *anything* unless I'm in the middle of downloading or it need to verify my game's authenticity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chichikov said:
From the developer's website, they have a link for Steam and their own (I think) DD shop.
Given the option I'll always choose the store that leaves more money in the hands of the dev.

As for my issues with Steam (and I really don't want to derail this thread) suffice to say that I don't like their vision for DD, I want something small, lightweight and that would not run *anything* unless I'm in the middle of downloading or it need to verify my game's authenticity.

I totally agree with giving more money to the dev, but I personally would be a little worried about their continued support of whatever download service they have. Dev studios and small publishers collapse and change members so often that I wouldn't feel confident about buying a DD of a game directly in most cases.

Have you tried other DD sites like Gamersgate? They just provide you with a CD key and host the installation files so you can install the game as you normally would with whatever DRM went into the retail copy. It's probably the best option for people who want to download a game but down want to run some background client or have to deal with encrypted files that won't work with most patches and modifications like Direct2Drive. Their download speeds kind of suck, though. I don't think I have ever received more than 500kbs from them.

I personally don't mind Steam, but I do wish I had the option to turn off automatic updating just in case I don't want the newest patch of a certain game.

Chichikov

Zefah said:
I totally agree with giving more money to the dev, but I personally would be a little worried about their continued support of whatever download service they have. Dev studios and small publishers collapse and change members so often that I wouldn't feel confident about buying a DD of a game directly in most cases.

Have you tried other DD sites like Gamersgate? They just provide you with a CD key and host the installation files so you can install the game as you normally would with whatever DRM went into the retail copy. It's probably the best option for people who want to download a game but down want to run some background client or have to deal with encrypted files that won't work with most patches and modifications like Direct2Drive. Their download speeds kind of suck, though. I don't think I have ever received more than 500kbs from them.

I personally don't mind Steam, but I do wish I had the option to turn off automatic updating just in case I don't want the newest patch of a certain game.
The terms seems pretty good, the only protection (as far as I can tell) is a key, they allow for re-download (as long as they still in business of course) and you can even burn yourself the installation CDs (the files are in bin format), seem pretty damn fair for me.

And even my issues with Steam are not as such as they will prevent me from playing a game I really like, I used it before, I have an account, but if there are better (in my mind at least) alternatives I will vote for them with my wallet.

p.s.
I love DD and I've tried GamersGate, direct2drive and some other services.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
my impressions from the demo were bad but some of the awesome posts from this thread have made me question myself.

Here is my question: I'm thinking about buying either this game or The Witcher Enhanced Edition. For those who have played both, which would you recommend?

I played this all night. I'm still impressed by how amazing the lighting is.
Risen2009-10-0522-00-57-88.jpg

Risen2009-10-0521-54-47-58.jpg

One thing though
where I learn how to do magic. I'm in chapter 2 and just finished the east dungeon. I have 92 wisdom but no magic :(.

dionysus

Yaldog
Kodiak said:
my impressions from the demo were bad but some of the awesome posts from this thread have made me question myself.

Here is my question: I'm thinking about buying either this game or The Witcher Enhanced Edition. For those who have played both, which would you recommend?

I think the Witcher is better but they are different games. The Witcher is a narrative focused game while this is more of an exploration focused game. Take your pick. The Witcher is more linear as well.

The Witcher's combat is more rhythm based, while this is more reaction based.

Crafting seems to be more diverse than the Witcher, but the Witcher's potion brewing is probably more deep and varied than Risen's.

Character progression is way more diverse in Risen than in Witcher.

So I just got the game on Steam, but whenever I try to launch the game it gives me an error saying the game is not available.

WTF does that mean? Im connected to the internet, Ive had steam verify all the files and its all fine.

Has anyone had this error before?

Chichikov said:
it's probably nexway. their things do several big repositories for the installs.

MattPeters said:
So I just got the game on Steam, but whenever I try to launch the game it gives me an error saying the game is not available. WTF does that mean? Im connected to the internet, Ive had steam verify all the files and its all fine. Has anyone had this error before?
sounds like standard steam bullshit, try restarting steam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kodiak said:

It really is hard to say. Both are great games, but I personally am having a lot more fun with Risen. The Witcher has a much better story, but I prefer pretty much everything else in Risen.

Top Bottom