• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

BeeDog

Zefah said:
It really is hard to say. Both are great games, but I personally am having a lot more fun with Risen. The Witcher has a much better story, but I prefer pretty much everything else in Risen.

I agree. The Witcher is a well-made game, but Risen is simply much more fun to play. Its game world is ten, even hundred times as fun to explore and it's more of a challenge too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
I agree. The Witcher is a well-made game, but Risen is simply much more fun to play. Its game world is ten, even hundred times as fun to explore and it's more of a challenge too.

I totally agree. And while the animations can be pretty horrible and the combat can be quite frustrating in the beginning, I find the combat in Risen to be far more entertaining and satisfying. The combat in The Witcher was a snorefest for me. There were some really cool animations that made Geralt look pretty badass, but damn if it didn't get boring fast. Luckily the story and interesting NPCs and environments more than made up for it and kept me playing until the end.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Zefah said:
I totally agree. And while the animations can be pretty horrible and the combat can be quite frustrating in the beginning, I find the combat in Risen to be far more entertaining and satisfying. The combat in The Witcher was a snorefest for me. There were some really cool animations that made Geralt look pretty badass, but damn if it didn't get boring fast. Luckily the story and interesting NPCs and environments more than made up for it and kept me playing until the end.

damn now im even more conflicted.

I love narrative and exploration equally :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mr Pockets said:
I'm downloading the PC demo right now.

I assume that this will not be a PS3 game ever?

First screen from the PS3 port revealed:

risenps3port.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it, lvl 27, probably 35-40 hours played.

Great great game, but man what a shitty end boss/ending. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:

Judging by the picture that introduces Chapter 4 I had a feeling the end boss would be pretty lame. Chapter 4 spoiler:
I still have two more priest temples to complete, but is the titan really just a giant ashbeast
?

vesp

Sorry for asking since I know theres a demo, but the gamepad I ordered is still on the way so I cant test it for myself, is there 360 controller support and if so, is it any good on the pc?

Parts for my new htpc are coming later this week and I'm tempted to pick this up as the inaugural run if it's comfy couch certified TM.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
vesp said:
Sorry for asking since I know theres a demo, but the gamepad I ordered is still on the way so I cant test it for myself, is there 360 controller support and if so, is it any good on the pc?

Parts for my new htpc are coming later this week and I'm tempted to pick this up as the inaugural run if it's comfy couch certified TM.

There is no native support for the controller unfortunately. Somewhere back in the thread someone posted a configuration that is supposed to be pretty good, but you might need some 3rd party software like Xpadder to get it to work.

Also, even though it is a Games for Windows title and has a built-in 1000 point-based achievement system, it does not support Microsoft Gamer Profiles so you can't boost your Gamerscore.

Sinatar

Zefah said:
Judging by the picture that introduces Chapter 4 I had a feeling the end boss would be pretty lame. Chapter 4 spoiler:
I still have two more priest temples to complete, but is the titan really just a giant ashbeast
?

Nope, he has his own completely unique look, it's actually not that ugly. The fight itself is hilariously out of place though.

FuKuy

Zefah said:
There is no native support for the controller unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Are you serious? This games controls like crap with a gamepad. It's meant to be played with keyboard/mouse

Zefah said:
Also, even though it is a Games for Windows title and has a built-in 1000 point-based achievement system, it does not support Microsoft Gamer Profiles so you can't boost your Gamerscore.

The game is Games for Windows enable game, BUT don't use GFW LIVE! system.
It's different one thing from another.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FuKuy said:
Unfortunately? Are you serious? This games controls like crap with a gamepad. It's meant to be played with keyboard/mouse

The game is Games for Windows enable game, BUT don't use GFW LIVE! system.
It's different one thing from another.

I would never want to play it with the controller, but I'm sure they could have come up with some kind of scheme to make it work for those who do.

Thanks for clearing up the difference between GFW and GFWL. I guess I just assumed they were one and the same.

Naeblish

HOLY SHIT, this game is so awesome. The combat system is genius, and that's because it's hard and realistic. Yesterday i was fighting 3 or 4 wolves and thought to myself, this is exactly how it would go irl. They taunt you, test your strength, circle around to get behind you and they are agile and dodge attacks. In the beginning they rape you, later you get a shield, learn their attacks and movement and they become easy.

I had a fight with an undead lord, it was EPIC. A 10 min fight of pure matching skills. It feels incredible to dodge an attack right, suddenly standing behind the mob and throwing a combo in his back. No button mashing but all about timing and reaction. The exploration and sense of real growth make this one hell of an experience. Can't wait to see what the game throws at me next.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sleeker said:

Found some pieces of info.

According to the review at WoR it is not useful at all. The game uses one core at 100%+ all the time and only a second core does yield a tangible performance boost. Anything beyond that (three or four cores) doesn't seem to matter.

Risen: 2-3 cores of a Quadcore are used. [Source: view picture gallery]

Guess that picture may mean something to someone with a multi-core system, really doesn't do much for me. But one review is saying it uses 2 cores (somewhat effectively), and another is saying 2-3. Either way it definitely doesn't use all 4 of a quadcore system.

Dennis

Banned
Naeblish said:
HOLY SHIT, this game is so awesome. The combat system is genius, and that's because it's hard and realistic. Yesterday i was fighting 3 or 4 wolves and thought to myself, this is exactly how it would go irl. They taunt you, test your strength, circle around to get behind you and they are agile and dodge attacks. In the beginning they rape you, later you get a shield, learn their attacks and movement and they become easy.

I had a fight with an undead lord, it was EPIC. A 10 min fight of pure matching skills. It feels incredible to dodge an attack right, suddenly standing behind the mob and throwing a combo in his back. No button mashing but all about timing and reaction. The exploration and sense of real growth make this one hell of an experience. Can't wait to see what the game throws at me next.
Yes I agree. Lots of people have criticised the combat.
I like it a lot - its challenging and rewards you for paying attention to the enemy.
Maybe people don't like it because they are pissed they can't sleepwalk the combat like most mainstream RPGs.

Durante

I'm happy that the general feeling towards the battle system seems to change a bit, I'm really enjoying it as well.

One small thing I really like is that NPCs that ask you to follow them actually run. I hate it in many RPGs (including the Witcher) when NPCs you're supposed to follow walk at a glacial pace.

G_Berry

Banned
Zefah said:
I would never want to play it with the controller, but I'm sure they could have come up with some kind of scheme to make it work for those who do.

Thanks for clearing up the difference between GFW and GFWL. I guess I just assumed they were one and the same.

They should be one and the same, what's the point otherwise?

Msoft really dropped the ball with that shit.

Dennis

Banned
EviLore said:
First screen from the PS3 port revealed:

risenps3port.jpg
Hmmm....small downgrade in the lighting and maybe also the textures, but at least PS3 owners can now play the game with a pad as intended!

Sleeker

Minsc said:
Found some pieces of info.

Guess that picture may mean something to someone with a multi-core system, really doesn't do much for me. But one review is saying it uses 2 cores (somewhat effectively), and another is saying 2-3. Either way it definitely doesn't use all 4 of a quadcore system.

oh well, maybe one day another quad core game will come out.....and then there will be 5 of them

Myr

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I like it a lot - its challenging and rewards you for paying attention to the enemy.
Maybe people don't like it because they are pissed they can't sleepwalk the combat like most mainstream RPGs.

I hated the combat on the 360 version, but it feels great on PC. I wish switching between melee and magic was faster, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:

Now that I am almost at the end of the game I think the combat is actually pretty good. It is very similar to games like Monster Hunter and Demon's Souls where you can get killed in a couple of hits easily if you don't know what you are doing, but you can dominate once you learn how to time attacks appropriately for each enemy type. I think it is just the awful animations that make the combat look so bad. If they polished it up a bit I think a lot more people would praise the combat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sleeker said:
oh well, maybe one day another quad core game will come out.....and then there will be 5 of them

It was only like 2006 or 2007 when the majority of games being released were actually developed to fully support dual cores. I think it will be a few more years before processors with 4 or more cores become the standard.

dionysus

Yaldog
Zefah said:
It was only like 2006 or 2007 when the majority of games being released were actually developed to fully support dual cores. I think it will be a few more years before processors with 4 or more cores become the standard.

The majority of high end laptops are still dual core too, so it is unlikely that optimization for 4 cores will become standard any time soon.

Yesterday I decided to just do some exploration. Next thing I knew it was 4 hours later and I hadn't progressed any further in a quest line. That is a good thing. The combat is also definitely growing on me. It seems like it is all about positioning as many fights involve multipe enemies. It is vital that you maintain a position where only one enemy can attack you at a time.

painey

so where is the eastern temple? is it the place where Eldric is, because i've already found it and still can't find that damn 3rd son who is supposed to be on the way there.

datamage

Hmm,

I was going to buy this on Steam, but I may hold out for the superior PS3 port. Thanks for the picture.

Really though, after playing the demo, and reading all the comments on here, I'm gonna have to buy this. :( Damnit, this was an unexpected game to land on the radar. The only thing holding me back, is Fallout 3 GOTY coming out next week.

Orgun

Having only ever played Gothic 3 I was a little wary on buying this but i'm glad I gave in and bought it :) Having a lot of fun and it isnt a buggy mess like G3 was.

Just had an epic battle with a Thunder Lizard while I was exploring off the path towards Harbor town...well I say epic, I just jumped on a rock so it couldnt reach me and shot it full of arrows and bolts for 20 minutes :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the game at lvl 26! What a fantastic game! The final encounter is pretty lame and the ending is a bit abrupt, but they are obviously leaving it open for an expansion or a sequel which I hope they are already working on because I could really go for some more Risen! I'm almost debating starting up a new game right now and going the mage route which I'm sure will be quite a bit more difficult in many parts of the game.

Victrix

*beard*
FuKuy said:

There's absolutely nothing, anywhere in the controls, that prevents it from working very comfortably on a pad, and its unfortunate they don't support it natively.

Simple movement, one interact and one cancel button, a small number of hot 'keys', and that's about it. Even the inventory would be fine, as though its grid based, you rarely have to interact with it much outside of shops, where pad selection would be fine.

Hell, the combat would probably feel more natural on a pad.

Hmm... now I'm tempted to try out xpadder and make a profile for my ps3 or 360 controller :lol

Sinatar said:

Well the ending is only 5-20 mins of the game...so as long as most of the game is good, I will have had my fun factor.

Durante

I love that this game doesn't employ all the "magic" others often use to limit what you can do. For example, there is no guard summon or instant anti-crime network. When I needed to get past a guard into a cell, the game steered me to some options (e.g. bribe him or send him a prostitute), but I could also simply get behind him and knock him out -- since I saw that no one else was around I judged that the most prudent action. This netted me not just the key but also his belongings.

Alright so I finally did all the missions in the swamp and got to see the leader of the bandits. Heading to Harbor town next!

Though I got really pissed earlier due to my own actions. I was going for the last peice of the golden sword... It was the one with the dude in the caves. I went there and low and behold, a ton of those moth creatures were in the caves. So I carefully take them all out, barely surviving but I did it. I was victorious. I was like damn... better save this. I quickly go to hit F8 for quicksave and like a fool hit f9 for quick load. I screamed "FUCKKKK!". So once it loaded me back at that cave with all the enemies in place I just said fuck it and ran to the body and then ran out. :lol

FirewalkR

The Eurogamer review set me aback but yesterday I tried the demo on Steam and quite liked it despite some rough edges. I was thinking of buying the Steam version but I've got a lot of other games in the back catalogue so... wait what's this? A beautiful Collector's Edition? :D

Does it have some kind of protection system, like Securom whatever?

Better yet, can I buy the CE and use a key to register it on Steam (a la Dawn of War 2)?

Durante

I just got the "Idiot" achievement :lol

By the way, I often thought when playing the game that it seemed to have screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), and I just read that I'm actually right. I think this (and the god rays) is a large part of what makes the lighting feel so Crysis-like. It just gives everything more substance.

brain_stew said:
Risen tweak guide here:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...-graphics-and-start-the-game-faster/Practice/

Get the game to launch faster, enable AA, and increase the draw distance and shadow resolution.

Thanks for the link. The quick load and save are right next to each other on my keyboard and have already tripped me up once.

Edit: UT3.exe gave me strange AA issues with a glowing white gradient extending from the left and top of the screen. ghost_w32.exe still seems to be the winner for my 4870x2.

Dineren

Banned
I was hoping I'd get to start this today, but ended up house sitting for someone with just my laptop. Guess I'll play through Gothic 2 this week instead. I've been considering going with the retail package over steam for Risen, is the soundtrack worth the wait to get it shipped to me? Doesn't look like anywhere local will stock it.

Sinatar

Dineren said:
I was hoping I'd get to start this today, but ended up house sitting for someone with just my laptop. Guess I'll play through Gothic 2 this week instead. I've been considering going with the retail package over steam for Risen, is the soundtrack worth the wait to get it shipped to me? Doesn't look like anywhere local will stock it.

The music in the game is pretty bland, not terrible but nothing I'd ever sit down and listen to.

Durante said:
I just got the "Idiot" achievement :lol

By the way, I often thought when playing the game that it seemed to have screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), and I just read that I'm actually right. I think this (and the god rays) is a large part of what makes the lighting feel so Crysis-like. It just gives everything more substance.

I'd go so far as to say its the best implementation of SSAO I've seen, its really high quality and without the usual artefacts and adds so much depth to the scene. Add that to the God rays, the full FP16 precision and the fully dynamic nature of the lighting and its no wonder it looks so good. Crysis really is its only worthy competitor in terms of lighting quality.

Durante

brain_stew said:
I'd go so far as to say its the best implementation of SSAO I've seen, its really high quality and without the usual artefacts and adds so much depth to the scene. Add that to the God rays, the full FP16 precision and the fully dynamic nature of the lighting and its no wonder it looks so good. Crysis really is its only worthy competitor in terms of lighting quality.
Well, to be fair there are some of the telltale artifacts if you know where to look, that's what made me so certain it was SSAO ;). But of course the positive effect on the overall picture far outweighs the small drawbacks.
Both the SSAO implementation and their shadow mapping algorithm seem to use some kind of stochastic sampling which produces a very natural (if slightly grainy) look without too much performance impact. It's really well done. (And I'm quite sure they could improve performance further by using compute shaders for the post-processing)

Durante said:
Well, to be fair there are some of the telltale artifacts if you know where to look, that's what made me so certain it was SSAO ;). But of course the positive effect on the overall picture far outweighs the small drawbacks.
Both the SSAO implementation and their shadow mapping algorithm seem to use some kind of stochastic sampling which produces a very natural (if slightly grainy) look without too much performance impact. It's really well done. (And I'm quite sure they could improve performance further by using compute shaders for the post-processing)

I worded that poorly, the artefacts are still there, but not not anywhere near to the same degree as in most games that use SSAO. Compare it to the SSAO in Batman: AA and the difference is night and day.

Top Bottom