• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Victrix

*beard*
Sinatar said:
The music in the game is pretty bland, not terrible but nothing I'd ever sit down and listen to.

You crazy

Some of the songs are pretty 'background', but there is definitely some beautiful stuff

Also some really cool combat music, but unfortunately that usually doesn't last very long... because fights are usually over pretty quickly, one way or another :lol

Victrix said:
You crazy

Some of the songs are pretty 'background', but there is definitely some beautiful stuff

Also some really cool combat music, but unfortunately that usually doesn't last very long... because fights are usually over pretty quickly, one way or another :lol
I agree I really the music, it fits the atmosphere perfectly.

BeeDog

Just started out chapter 3, but I feel like exploring again. Anyone got any suggestions on what places to visit/explore that aren't extremely hard? I'd prefer some good loot. :D

Also, could folks please list where to get the teleport stones? If I recall correctly, these are the ones I have:

Harbor City
Bandit Camp
Monastery
Eastern Temple
East Coast
Southeast Coast
Northeastern Temple

Can someone tell where I can find someone to teach me magic? I'm in chapter two and leveled really high due to the exploring, but I still haven't found anyone to teach me the skill. Do I learn it in later chapters or something?

BeeDog

Cat in the Hat said:
Can someone tell where I can find someone to teach me magic? I'm in chapter two and leveled really high due to the exploring, but I still haven't found anyone to teach me the skill. Do I learn it in later chapters or something?

I assume you joined the bandits? If so, forget magic (aside from using scrolls).

Manager

Just got the X360 version. The text size is ridiculous :lol I can barely play it on a 40". (Edit: Some colors are off, I'll put up new version tomorrow):
2nuksxf.jpg

Some early pics:
21c7exu.jpg

2me97rd.jpg

I'll upload a First 10 Minutes video of it tomorrow.

Manager

Durante said:
I'm tempted to make a comparison screenshot at that exact point in the game :lol

I was planning on asking someone for that actually :D Just for fun here, won't use it on the site. I haven't played far but take some from that area, or the cabbin where Sara rests, and I'll try and re-do them.

Love the lighting...

I really screwed up by using pickpocket the wrong way.

I didn't know you had to click on the icon to steal something. I just thought that you had to make sure he keeps talking till the bar runs out. :lol I saved the game afterwards as well. So pretty much I lost all the level 1 pickpocket victims

Basically the 360 version looks like a much uglier game. Go figure. As long as the gameplay and controls are not absolutely killed in this version, I don't see the problem with people picking this up that only have a 360.

Though I do think it would be cool to know if this was simply because the 360 couldnt handle the openworld style gameplay with a graphical look like the PC version...or if it was just a shoddy port.

Zeliard said:
Is it impossible to join the Order once you've joined the banditos?
Yeah the head order guy won't talk to me anymore. Says something along the lines of "you've taken sides with the Don, fuck off" or something like that.

inner-G

Banned
Ugh, the console version looks like PS1/2 textures :/

May demo the PC version if I get some free time. Looks amazing. Sucks that there's no X360 pad support for the PC version. Xpadder is a pain in the ass to set up to just try something out.

Zeliard

Cat in the Hat said:
Yeah the head order guy won't talk to me anymore. Says something along the lines of "you've taken sides with the Don, fuck off" or something like that.

You should go back to him once you're massively powerful and murder him and everyone else.

kodt

Banned
So the NA 360 version was delayed till 2010 right? I seriously hope they can improve it, those screens = :lol

Going to try the PC demo soon.

besiktas1

So the million dollar question. Which game should I go for out the similar games. This, Sacred 2 or MUA2. or have I got it wrong and the games are nothing alike :lol

kodt said:
So the NA 360 version was delayed till 2010 right? I seriously hope they can improve it, those screens = :lol

Going to try the PC demo soon.

Over on the official forums they stated sometime this month the 360 version will get a pathc for updated textures, bugs, etc. So one can cross their fingers. :D

besiktas1 said:
So the million dollar question. Which game should I go for out the similar games. This, Sacred 2 or MUA2. or have I got it wrong and the games are nothing alike :lol

If you want a sense of adventure and exploration, Risen. If you want a diablo like grind/loot fest Sacred 2. And if you want a somewhat short arcade rpg-lite game, MUA 2.

Zeliard said:
You should go back to him once you're massively powerful and murder him and everyone else.
I'll use my retard strength I acquired from doing everything the hard way. I wish I could just cast a damn fireball.

Oh well maybe i'll play through the game again when I finish.

Zeliard

Cat in the Hat said:
I'll use my retard strength I acquired from doing everything the hard way. I wish I could just cast a damn fireball.

Oh well maybe i'll play through the game again when I finish.

How's the game's difficulty going through it as a warrior? I assume you've still some got long-range skills with the bow and/or crossbow.

Zeliard said:
How's the game's difficulty going through it as a warrior? I assume you've still some got long-range skills with the bow and/or crossbow.
Well the game was really hard until recently. After I got the and the 2 handed Demon Sword and the 1 handed Sharp Obsidian sword I've been only having trouble with ogres and (multiple)ghouls. I think i've hit the top of the mountain and now the game will be more killing and less reloading. Disclaimer though I'm only on chapter 2 and about 17 hours played, I've just been wondering around mostly.

Yasae

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Yes I agree. Lots of people have criticised the combat.
I like it a lot - its challenging and rewards you for paying attention to the enemy.
Maybe people don't like it because they are pissed they can't sleepwalk the combat like most mainstream RPGs.
Pardon me, but you need to read posts better. I didn't like all the jerky, wildly unrealistic animations and c-c-c-c-combo breaker attacks the fauna had. No one's honestly going to tell me that's the height of realism.

I wasn't getting my ass kicked. That didn't happen. I just hate the scheme.

Forgive my legitimate point of criticism. It's one of the few things keeping me from buying Risen tbh (well.. That and I'm broke at the moment.)

What do I do exactly with nhancer to get AA working? Under the Risen profile I added vanguard.exe to the executable list and ticked AA on but I get nothing in game. Am I supposed to leave risen.exe in the list or remove it?

NIN90

Yasae said:
Pardon me, but you need to read posts better. I didn't like all the jerky, wildly unrealistic animations and c-c-c-c-combo breaker attacks the fauna had. No one's honestly going to tell me that's the height of realism.

Nobody does. I don't know why the combat system it has to be realistic to be considered good.

Ok wtf.

When the people who were porting Risen to 360 didnt they once step back and look at the finished product?
It looks like garbage. How could they pass that off as complete or good enough? How could it get approved?

This goes back to my other issues with games that are busted, buggy or just look below par.
If i was working on Risen 360 I wouldnt be happy with that. I wouldnt accept it. But here it is. Finished and shipped out.

Someone explain to me the reasoning behind this. I would be embarrased or ashamed if that was my work.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
tehvampire said:
Ok wtf.

When the people who were porting Risen to 360 didnt they once step back and look at the finished product?
It looks like garbage. How could they pass that off as complete or good enough? How could it get approved?

This goes back to my other issues with games that are busted, buggy or just look below par.
If i was working on Risen 360 I wouldnt be happy with that. I wouldnt accept it. But here it is. Finished and shipped out.

Someone explain to me the reasoning behind this. I would be embarrased or ashamed if that was my work.

Half assed cash in to grab some extra bucks for minimal effort?

Confidence Man said:
What do I do exactly with nhancer to get AA working? Under the Risen profile I added vanguard.exe to the executable list and ticked AA on but I get nothing in game. Am I supposed to leave risen.exe in the list or remove it?

No one said to do that.

On the right hand side there's a "compatability" tab, click that and choose the Vanguard AA profile from there. Then go back to the "Enhancements" tab and set your level of AA. I'd recommend 2xmsaa w/ transparency supersampling as it has a huge impact on IQ and the performance hit isn't all that severe.

tehvampire said:
Ok wtf.

The hardware just isn't upto the job. No way to sugar coat it, the game was targeted at vastly superior hardware, so a downport is always going to look messy. Could the 360 do a (much) better job? Most certainly. Would it ever run the game without huge downgrades? Not a chance in hell. Are there any other 360 games with a truly seamless world like Risen, where there's not even a loading screen, pause or any hitching when entering interiors and caves? Go check out the Operation Flashpoint thread, the differnce between the PC and console versions of that game are just as stark, and, surprise, surprise its another game set in a massive outdoor environment.

If you buy low end gaming hardware, you suffer poorer performance and graphics, its just the way of the world. If you care about graphics then you invest accordingly, you don't expect a machine from 2005 to keep up with 2009 technology, that's just silly. Its like arguing why a downport of a 360 game doesn't look as nice on the Wii, it just goes without saying. Differences like this are going to become increasingly common, either buy the necessary hardware or learn to be happy with your current machine.

brain_stew said:
No one said to do that.

On the right hand side there's a "compatability" tab, click that and choose the Vanguard AA profile from there. Then go back to the "Enhancements" tab and set your level of AA. I'd recommend 2xmsaa w/ transparency supersampling as it has a huge impact on IQ and the performance hit isn't all that severe.

Thanks. I thought that's what the guide that people linked to said to do:

"Search for Vanguard among the profiles and assign it to the "Risen.exe” file."

Yasae

Banned
Naeblish said:
HOLY SHIT, this game is so awesome. The combat system is genius, and that's because it's hard and realistic. Yesterday i was fighting 3 or 4 wolves and thought to myself, this is exactly how it would go irl. They taunt you, test your strength, circle around to get behind you and they are agile and dodge attacks. In the beginning they rape you, later you get a shield, learn their attacks and movement and they become easy.

I had a fight with an undead lord, it was EPIC. A 10 min fight of pure matching skills. It feels incredible to dodge an attack right, suddenly standing behind the mob and throwing a combo in his back. No button mashing but all about timing and reaction. The exploration and sense of real growth make this one hell of an experience. Can't wait to see what the game throws at me next.
Yeah, somebody DID say it was realistic - and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just seeing a message and being convinced it's true are not the same things. I wasn't convinced, I had my reasons. Sue me.

Confidence Man said:
Thanks. I thought that's what the guide that people linked to said to do:

"Search for Vanguard among the profiles and assign it to the "Risen.exe” file."

Its just poorly explained.

Dennis

Banned
Yasae said:

I wasn't getting my ass kicked. That didn't happen. I just hate the scheme.

Forgive my legitimate point of criticism. It's one of the few things keeping me from buying Risen tbh (well.. That and I'm broke at the moment.)
Its cool bro. Calm down :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Almost done with Oblivion and thinking of getting right into this after that. Never played the Gothic games so hope it's my thing! Game looks amazing from the screens at least

So I got curious when I seen this waterfall and thought I'd levitate up there the check it out.
Risen2009-10-0621-14-29-09.jpg

So i get up there and it's kinda a tight squeeze, but I sneak to get lower and one second i'm sneaking the next second i'm here.

Risen2009-10-0621-10-34-33.jpg

Holy fuck! :lol

Top Bottom