• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Druz

Yasae said:
So I must be frothing at the mouth if I say I don't like the combat with good reason.

You're right, just forget it. :lol

How far into the game are you? I criticized the combat system but it's pretty OK right now.

Druz

Cat in the Hat said:
OMG you're the guy Shawn Elliott has been twittering about. :lol

No I'm not, that would be the admin of e4g who publishes whatever shit gets sent his way.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I was a kid with no games growing up. Than that faithful day came where a small store called Video Fenom opened up just down the street. Bye bye free time! I played every game they had until it was closed down. As a parting gift the man gave me the first dollar used at his store! From that day forth I would be conservative with money.
.. what :lol

Cat in the Hat said:
I agree I really the music, it fits the atmosphere perfectly.

He's insane, kai writes fucking awesome music.

Some early pics:

Fuck, that looks worse than gothic 2. Seriously shameful, get your money back bro.

The hardware just isn't upto the job.

Nah man, the 360 can certaintly do a heck of a lot more than that, the 360 has just got a wii level port. Some of that "foliage" look exactly like the stuff you'd see in gothic 1, and that was originally gonna be a ps2 game (thank god it wasn't, cuz it's still awesome to this day)

Sleeker

fizzelopeguss said:
Nah man, the 360 can certaintly do a heck of a lot more than that, the 360 has just got a wii level port. Some of that "foliage" look exactly like the stuff you'd see in gothic 1, and that was originally gonna be a ps2 game (thank god it wasn't, cuz it's still awesome to this day)

he addressed that in the same post:

Could the 360 do a (much) better job? Most certainly. Would it ever run the game without huge downgrades? Not a chance in hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Druz

Zefah said:
Man I hate to be an asshole, but by "professionally" do you mean you got paid for that? Grammatical errors, strange wording, "dattebayo!" and 8.2? Are you sure it wasn't an 8.3? If that kind of stuff is what constitutes a "professional review" then where do I sign up?

It's a fake review and profile I sent in to see if the guy who runs the site will post it. Chill out dawg.

edit: yeah I think so

Yasae

Banned
Druz said:
How far into the game are you? I criticized the combat system but it's pretty OK right now.
I haven't bought the game, though I think the demo was enough to get some first impressions.

I'm verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wary of GAF's hivemind opinions. They make Mask of the Betrayer the best expansion in existence, The Last Remnant a tactical masterpiece, and GTA IV a sloppy mess. Crazy shit happens.

Again, the combat was one of my few points of contention with what I had before me, but it's a huge point. I like something more physics-based instead of whack-a-mole. Straight on turn-based combat is good too, though it would be out of place in this game.

Druz

Yasae said:
I haven't bought the game, though I think the demo was enough to get some first impressions.

I'm verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wary of GAF's hivemind opinions. They make Mask of the Betrayer the best expansion in existence, The Last Remnant a tactical masterpiece, and GTA IV a sloppy mess. Crazy shit happens.

Again, the combat was one of my few points of contention with what I had before me, but it's a huge point. I like something more physics-based instead of whack-a-mole. Straight on turn-based combat is good too, though it would be out of place in this game.

It wasn't really good enough. A friend of mine who was insistent on hating it and all the Gothic games bought it anyway and played well past the demo eventually liking it a lot. Meanwhile, me who is a Gothic 1+2 fanboy played the Risen demo and wasn't too keen on it. The friend ended up selling me the game based on description, not GAF who I expected to hate it too.

Yasae

Banned
Druz said:
It wasn't really good enough. A friend of mine who was insistent on hating it and all the Gothic games bought it anyway and played well past the demo eventually liking it a lot. Meanwhile, me who is a Gothic 1+2 fanboy played the Risen demo and wasn't too keen on it. The friend ended up selling me the game based on description, not GAF who I expected to hate it too.
But unless it changes completely, I'm not going to like it.

I really can't afford it anyway atm. If there's a sale in the future and it drops to twenty bucks, I could overlook the combat.

Druz

Yasae said:

I really can't afford it anyway atm. If there's a sale in the future and it drops to twenty bucks, I could overlook the combat.

When you buy it at 20 bucks and play it you're going to feel like an asshole.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So does where do you get equipment? Do you only get them from chests and vendors? Is everything pre-set?

(As in no random drops)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Druz said:
It's a fake review and profile I sent in to see if the guy who runs the site will post it. Chill out dawg.

edit: yeah I think so

I wasn't aware that I had gotten worked up enough to need to chill out, but okay.

I'm not quite sure how you expect people to realize just from your previous post that it was a fake review... but I guess the joke is on me?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
So does where do you get equipment? Do you only get them from chests and vendors? Is everything pre-set?

(As in no random drops)

Weapons, shields and accessories can be found in treasure chests and off enemies, but actual armor upgrades are only available after completing parts of the main quest.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zefah said:
Weapons, shields and accessories can be found in treasure chests and off enemies, but actual armor upgrades are only available after completing parts of the main quest.
Ok that was my main concern.

How does the enemy respawn work?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yasae said:

Leave thread.

BeeDog

Hazaro said:
Ok that was my main concern.

How does the enemy respawn work?

Enemies don't respawn, but in between every chapter change (and some story progression events) certain enemies are added here and there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BeeDog said:
Enemies don't respawn, but in between every chapter change (and some story progression events) certain enemies are added here and there.
Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

I better give the demo a run through this weekend.

Yasae

Banned
EviLore said:
Leave thread.
No, I would've sprung. I'm just really goddamn stingy. I could afford it, I just think I'd regret my purchase.

And unfortunately I know myself better than anyone on GAF... Yeah....

Durante

BeeDog said:
There must be quite a few of those "story progression events" in Chapter 1, because I'm still in that and could swear I've had respawns in some areas 2 or 3 times.

Yasae said:
I'm verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wary of GAF's hivemind opinions. They make Mask of the Betrayer the best expansion in existence, The Last Remnant a tactical masterpiece, and GTA IV a sloppy mess.
If you want to criticize the GAF hivemind (and there are enough reasons to) you should pick examples that are actually wrong. ;)

senahorse

As an Australian I have been denied easy access to this game. Now the question has already been asked in this thread, but I didn't see an answer. Anyone know of a reliable import shop that would happily send me a copy?

Minsc

Gold Member
Hazaro said:
Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

I better give the demo a run through this weekend.

The fact that they respawn, or that they don't?

That's how it was in Gothic as well. It's the best of both worlds. I tend to dislike respawning enemies, but the chapters are long enough that you get so used to having an empty landscape after a while it almost becomes dull, then it's welcome to see something roaming around again.

x3n05 said:
As an Australian I have been denied easy access to this game. Now the question has already been asked in this thread, but I didn't see an answer. Anyone know of a reliable import shop that would happily send me a copy?

DVD.co.uk has it for about $44 and change delivered.

Reviews are saying this game is pretty terrible, but they are all 360 reviews. Is the PC version different? Is it actually decent?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TheHeretic said:
Reviews are saying this game is pretty terrible, but they are all 360 reviews. Is the PC version different? Is it actually decent?
I think so. Haven't played the 360 version though, so I can't say where the difference apart from the obvious graphics fidelity gap lies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:

You really don't like to read, do you?

FuKuy

TheHeretic said:

Yes. 360 version is a crappy port. Piranha Bytes developed PC version and outsourced the 360 version. As a result, 360 version have lower graphics quality, worst framerate and worst control.

In matter of fact, this kind of games are meant to be played on PC.

Mudo

Just popping in to say I bought the game after reading the previous thread that was going on it. I had heard of this but did not know it was from the makers of Gothic (with Gothic 2 being an incredible game). I think I've played about 12 hours in the last 2 days - to put that in context, it's impressive if I spend 2 hours playing a game in one sitting nowadays. Risen has me comletely, utterly, hopelessly swept up in its world and I'm going to jump back in for another day long session :D

OK so I can kill anything with ease now. Obsidian Bastard sword + charge attack + S key and shift = 4 dead ogres. I'm breezing through......FINALLY!

Myr

Banned
My character is now a mage/swordsman hybrid. Not particularly good at either, though.

I got the Demon sword, and it's pretty powerful.

I kinda regret not becoming a WotO instead of a mage or straight up fighter. Where can I get some better armor? I've only got the mage's robes.

Cat in the Hat said:
So as a person who loved Gothic 3 post community patch, how you liking the game?
I'm loving it of course. but let's clarify that I loved gothic3 even before the community patches got started. hehe.

it's pretty much exactly the same as g3, apart from the close up one on one fighting, and everything cleaned up here and there. a big change is that charming overall lagged feel that g3 had is missing, could be for the better. who knows. it does feel a bit small and limited in comparison though, the g3 world was insanely huge and varied. the three different countries or continents helped a lot. pretty much the best game world ever made. hopefully they'll go larger for.. big is back because bigger is better. risen2 sux.

painey

Yasae said:
No, I would've sprung. I'm just really goddamn stingy. I could afford it, I just think I'd regret my purchase.

And unfortunately I know myself better than anyone on GAF... Yeah....

Yasae
Banned
(Today, 08:32 AM)
mass2-thane3.jpg

Should have listened.

I finally found that 3rd son fucker hiding away at his shack, sobbing like a little girl. Its actually satisfying unlocking the achievements because they are a bit of a bastard to get and I feel rewarded. No way am I getting 1000g though as it needs 2 playthroughs and the 360 version is like chewing tinfoil at times.

glaurung

Could anyone who has played the majority of the game comment on the storyline and characters?

Are there perhaps multiple endings? Cliffhanger endings and sequel hints?

Because I hate cliffhanger RPGs.

Joseph Merrick said:
I'm loving it of course. but let's clarify that I loved gothic3 even before the community patches got started. hehe.
Oh right haha

it's pretty much exactly the same as g3, apart from the close up one on one fighting, and everything cleaned up here and there. a big change is that charming overall lagged feel that g3 had is missing, could be for the better. who knows. it does feel a bit small and limited in comparison though, the g3 world was insanely huge and varied. the three different countries or continents helped a lot. pretty much the best game world ever made. hopefully they'll go larger for.. big is back because bigger is better. risen2 sux
I couldn't agree more about the world. I wish it was a bit bigger, but at the same time would the amount of polish this game has be significatally reduced? Who know, but for the kind of limited world it is amazing crafted and real looking. I don't know how many times I've thought to myself "this must of took forever to make". Every inch of the world feels like it was hand crafted.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Is it worth taking Prospecting & Blacksmithing?

Deacan said:
Is it worth taking Prospecting & Blacksmithing?
YES

You get to reforge broken weapons you find(they come in 2 pieces) and you can make obsidian weapons which are really powerful. It's very worth it.

Top Bottom