• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rochard |OT| Gravity gun platformin' adventure goodness!

wouwie

Tried the demo and enjoyed it a lot. Bought the game and i think it's great. Enjoying the gameplay mechanics a lot. Got to mention that the music is great too.

No idea where i am in the game but well worth the money so far.

V_Ben

Banned
GeoramA said:
Gamepro - 4.5/5

Really wished Sony marketed this harder. It's one of PSN's best games.
You can blame SoE for not getting codes for the game out quickly enough. If it had a bunch of reviews hit at launch, people would be noticing it more. :/

This game is fucking amazing, its not often that something nobodys ever heard of until the day of release is this fucking good.

boingball

Withnail said:
Also this would have been perfect for SCE's PSN Play thing. I wonder why they decided to make it about multiplatform stuff like The Baconing when they have interesting and exclusive games like this coming through.

I think Sony wants to show 3rd party publishers that it is worthwhile to publish on PSN. Hence no Sony published games in that (except the "free" game Payday: The Heist).

I have to applaud SOE for the pricing, 10 bucks is just right. But of cource the marketing for the game is as usual with Sony very bad.

wouwie

Having played some more yesterday, i think this game is fantastic.

Somehow, it reminds me of Portal 2. For me, it has the same feeling of fun and satisfaction (and even some common gameplay elements). Controls are great and the gravity gameplay is fun. Also, game length seems good for 10 euros.

Can't wait to continue.

Ocaso

A question for anyone who's completed the game. I played the demo and enjoyed it. Given that it's somewhat Metroidvania-ish, I'm tempted to buy to support the development of these types of games, but just how much of a Metroidvania is it? I know it's puzzle heavy, but what I'm curious is to what extent do you have to figure out where it is you have to go. Is it always spelled out for you, or do you have to explore to figure it out?

wouwie

Finshed the game today. Great game overall. Great controls, fun gameplay mechanics, nice music and the introduction of new gameplay mechanics keep the game fresh until the end.

If i had to make one negative point, it's that all the levels look very similar. I had hoped for more varied locations since the game looked quite good at times
(for example the short desert background)

For people skipping this because of all the other games coming out, at least try the demo at some point in time. It's a fun puzzle/platform/shooting game and worth the money.

Ocaso

Ocaso said:
A question for anyone who's completed the game. I played the demo and enjoyed it. Given that it's somewhat Metroidvania-ish, I'm tempted to buy to support the development of these types of games, but just how much of a Metroidvania is it? I know it's puzzle heavy, but what I'm curious is to what extent do you have to figure out where it is you have to go. Is it always spelled out for you, or do you have to explore to figure it out?

So, can anybody answer this? I'd love to hear from a Metroid fan's point of view if this game scratches that particular itch.

GeoramA

Ocaso said:
So, can anybody answer this? I'd love to hear from a Metroid fan's point of view if this game scratches that particular itch.
Blasting enemies and solving puzzles is what you'll be doing most of the time, not figuring out where to go.

If you haven't played it yet, Outland is the Metroidvania game you're looking for.

Ocaso

GeoramA said:
Blasting enemies and solving puzzles is what you'll be doing most of the time, not figuring out where to go.

If you haven't played it yet, Outland is the Metroidvania game you're looking for.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I've already played Outland and actually found it to be excessively linear for a Metroidvania myself. I'm sure Rochard's still a blast, but one I'll enjoy at a later date, then.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Man, this game. Best space cowboy intro since StarCraft. Colour theory and lighting is off the hook. Great movement weighting, especially with the gravity toggle. And when that synth score kicks in!

What are they putting in the water in Finland?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just played the demo and it was surprisingly great. I say surprisingly, as I've never heard of developer and it's published by SOE who hasn't published a game I liked in what seems forever.

The intro as mentioned above is pretty much awesome with music and all, graphics remind me of 2.5D Team Fortress, gravity gameplay is again surprisingly tight considering how often physics based games feel janky and unprecise.

Oh, and the humour. I haven't laughed this much to a line in a game since probably "you always follow the hoes" in Uncharted 2. I really don't want to spoil it since a lot of it is in delivery, it's when the
computer starts talking gibberish and then german and ends with automatiche kaput, your character goes... Man, Autimatiche Kaput, again?
. Humor, and delivery of this caliber is something I'd expect from the best days of LucasArts adventures, and here it is in a pretty much never-heard-of-it game... I really hope the game can keep this up, but the demo convinced me to buy it.

Maybe this needed a name that stands out more, or better advertising or something. Shame it seems so ignored.

Sintoid

Ocaso said:

Yes it remins Metroid and somehow Shadow Complex.... Unfortunately there's no Metroid/Castlevania/Shadow Complex backtracking, you will have to visit again the same envirouments but never the same stages.

Support the game anyway... It's great. I'm working on completing trophy collection and the more I play it the more I love it.

Baron

Just bought this after a little time with the demo. Great game so far. I have to agree that the name is a little obscure, even detrimental to the game for prospective buyers, silly as that sounds. "Rochard" gives no hint as to what kind of game this is, though. That in itself is a bit of a marketing failure. And a fun game like this deserves more marketing than it has gotten.

That's not to say it should be called something lame and obvious like "Gravity Gun Space Miner", though. Something inbetween. But now that I've bought it and enjoy it, the name means nothing to me anymore. Rochard is perfectly fitting...for those in the know.

Ranger X

Wow. Just discovered this game tonight. It's FUCKING awesome. Sorta feels like Metroid, I love it!!

And I see that the total non-marketing from Sony is doing its wonders, nobody plays it, thread dies, etc. BRAVO SONY.

Ranger X said:
Wow. Just discovered this game tonight. It's FUCKING awesome. Sorta feels like Metroid, I love it!!

And I see that the total non-marketing from Sony is doing its wonders, nobody plays it, thread dies, etc. BRAVO SONY.

They never learn.

The idiotic turret defense style sequence is killing this game for me. I've enjoyed it a lot up to this point, but to have it spoiled by a stupid "wait for the elevator to rise and defend against waves of enemies" is just so irritating. The combat in Rochard is not it's strong point, and here we have section that is nothing but that.

Really, what designer thought this was a good idea? Here's a charming puzzle platformer with light action, flowing well and smartly, and now let's stop the momentum with a lame ass idea straight out of bad action game design 101.

Mrbob

So I finished the game today. Took me about 6 hours and I really enjoyed most of it. Some really interesting puzzles with the G Lifter. I also loved inverting the gravity polarity in certain areas. The last quarter of the game isn't as strong as the first 3/4 with a bigger emphasis on action. Still the overall package is very good. Ending is a bit strange and abrupt, so hopefully the game sold well enough to green light a sequel. This really is an unknown gem, and ended up being one of my favorite download titles I've played this year.

bumping this as i also just noticed that the game is on Steam, how AWESOME is that i was considering getting the PSN version but now that it's on steam i'm gonna sale that sucker come X-mas time...

does anyone know how the port is though?

Massa

Just finished this game today and what a great game this is. Had fun all the way through, for $10 it's absolutely a steal.

bumping this as i also just noticed that the game is on Steam, how AWESOME is that i was considering getting the PSN version but now that it's on steam i'm gonna sale that sucker come X-mas time...

I played it on the PS3 but this game is built on a pretty decent engine (Unity3d), I can't imagine it being a bad port. The system requirements seem vey modest too.

just beat it, awesome awesome game. probably my favorite downloadable game this year. finish it in a weekend, can't stop playing. it's a good length for the price, but man I wish they make it longer because I can't have enough of it, and the abrupt ending doesn't help. I hope it sold enough for a sequel.

play it on Steam with mouse and keyboard, tried using 360 controller and don't like how I have to switch mode between pulling object and shooting. so play the whole game using mouse and keyboard where pulling and shooting is neatly mapped to left and right mouse button.

probably late, but it ran great on my pc. very clean, very smooth, and the control probably work better with mouse and keyboard than dual shock.

Has anyone been able to force AA on this game? I've tried in catalyst but it only blurs the picture without removing jaggies. The game looks quite clean now but it can be improved.

mkernan

Neo Member
So this is part of the 12 in 12 discount promo for next week.

As a PS Plus user, this is worth $5 right?

Absolutely. I'd also recommend Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken. Try the demo first, some people don't dig the controls, but I liked the game quite a bit.

ON PC, whenever I try to max res it, the game gets all these really weird colors, but it doesn't lag at all. I'm at default res, but I'd much rather have it maxed out.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Just tried the demo cause you guys were talking about it yesterday again due to the free giveaway for ign prime. Had in on my wishlist for all so long already though.

long story short I just bought it. It's just great. The artstyle is marvelous and the gameplay is top notch. Awesome game. Buy it!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Bought it on Steam. Wow this game is incredible. Makes me think the world needs more action/puzzle/platformer games. It's almost like a linear metroidvania game with all the upgrades that help you solve new puzzles. Very very fun.

Ranger X

Bought it on Steam. Wow this game is incredible. Makes me think the world needs more action/puzzle/platformer games. It's almost like a linear metroidvania game with all the upgrades that help you solve new puzzles. Very very fun.

Underrated gem of 2011 total.

Top Bottom