• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

mojiimbo said:
I thought the safe bet was Dance Central 2 and possibly a Beatles export if you want to go out on a limb. I doubt they'd do a new Queen physical release when no one really cares enough to pay $60 for Rock Band anymore, especially when most of Queen's hits have already been put up twice on the RB store.

I was thinking that too, but if they have already been working on it I'm sure they could budget release it and make it compatible with the DLC.

It is a long shot, but I do wonder what Brian May was really talking about.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I don't think they'll be a Queen Rock Band neither. Most of the big hits are in Rock Band anyway so it doesn't make sense to release it. I also don't believe Harmonix will have any Rock Band related news at E3. Maybe for Dance Central.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Rewrite said:
I don't think they'll be a Queen Rock Band neither. Most of the big hits are in Rock Band anyway so it doesn't make sense to release it. I also don't believe Harmonix will have any Rock Band related news at E3. Maybe for Dance Central.

Eh, Beatles export is theoretically possible, the tenor around it has kinda changed lately. It used to be "Beatles is its own thing, end of story" and now it's more "we haven't said anything about that".

mojiimbo said:
I thought the safe bet was Dance Central 2 and possibly a Beatles export if you want to go out on a limb. I doubt they'd do a new Queen physical release when no one really cares enough to pay $60 for Rock Band anymore, especially when most of Queen's hits have already been put up twice on the RB store.

I read the first sentence quickly and thought you meant Beatles will export to Dance Central 2.

I'd like to see another big band effort (like U2) as quality as The Beatles instead of Green Day.

While I would buy Queen: Rock Band three times for good measure, it's probably not happening. I think my friends are pretty representative of the RB playing crowd and they don't care at all about The Beatles or Queen.

If Harmonix did release it, against all economic sense, I would love them even more, of course.

I love Queen, but let RB3 breathe, please.

I bet they sunk a bit into developing it, but that's money lost, new venture capitalist dudes. Don't throw good money after bad.

I love Queen as well, but most of their biggest and most requested hits have been released as DLC, and some twice. A game is unneeded at this point. Just put out another DLC megapack and be done.

I do think that a Beatles export is in the works though.

SiegfriedFM said:
While I would buy Queen: Rock Band three times for good measure, it's probably not happening. I think my friends are pretty representative of the RB playing crowd and they don't care at all about The Beatles or Queen.

If Harmonix did release it, against all economic sense, I would love them even more, of course.
I would buy every version available.

I think people underestimate the draw of Queen though. They are right up there with Beatles in terms of album sales. Aerosmith did well too (although those were different times.)

I'm not going to be crushed if it's never announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced eventually.

I actually wouldn't mind a Queen expansion for Rock Band 3. Just add a concert venue and the character models, and let us play a Queen concert. They could integrate it like Dice did for Bad Company: Vietnam.

jgkspsx

canadian crowe said:
I think people underestimate the draw of Queen though. They are right up there with Beatles in terms of album sales. Aerosmith did well too (although those were different times.)
But TB:RB was a financial failure, if not an outright disaster. And Queen, IMO, has even less draw for younger generations.

butter_stick said:
Band games are dead.

Just like music games.

Maybe, but Rockband 3 has 1 million unique active users each day, apparently, if I listened to the podcast right. They just passed the 100.000.000 DLC mark. Those are healthy numbers. They mention a very large number of Rockband owners actually purchase DLC songs, which keeps their business healthy.

As for the Beatles, on their latest podcast also they mentioned that the game keeps selling, and had good numbers last Christmas as well. In a podcast before that, they mention that the Beatles DLC is the best selling DLC of all time. As far as I am aware you can only get that for The Beatles Rockband, so the game must have sold pretty well.

All indicates that their core business now lies with the DLC. On the podcast, they said as much, suggesting that Rockband 3 gave so many new options in the various instruments, Keys expansions and Pro Mode options that users will take some time to properly 'mine' that content, that Rockband 3 is much better suited for DLC than Rockband 2 with all the filter options, and that for many people getting the music they like is important, and DLC helps with that much more so than a fixed set on a retail disc could ever provide, so it is important in that respect as well.

In that sense I could definitely see a DD version of Rockband 3 happen, that comes with only a handful of songs for a very low price, that you can then build out with the DLC you care for. I would definitely not mind myself, no longer being dependent on the disc at all.

I like by the way that they got the Finish Eurovision Songfestival winners from 2006. This is a small but good step towards the European audience I feel.

jgkspsx

I would buy a $5 DD RB3 skeleton that could play my DLC. I'd even pay another $10 for the RB3 export... though isn't it true that RB3 didn't have an export code?

jgkspsx said:
I would buy a $5 DD RB3 skeleton that could play my DLC. I'd even pay another $10 for the RB3 export... though isn't it true that RB3 didn't have an export code?
It has a code on the instructions.

jgkspsx said:
That is easy money just there!

Even if only 20% of the RB3 userbase did this, that is fair chunk of change for little effort.

There's not much profit to be made from disc exports. I doubt it would be much of a motivating factor one way or another. They're only done to please the userbase.

My disc only boots 5% of the time, so I'd love a downloadable RB3. But the idea of the "next" RB just being a downloadable shell with a handful of minor features isn't appealing. I'd take a $60 RB4 over a $15 RB3.1

Bread

Banned
Just picked this up today for 20 bucks, wow what an upgrade over the first 2 Rock Bands. The set list is easily my favorite, and I love the little cutscenes added in between quick play songs.

Can't wait for the Foo Fighters pack, I'm definitely getting Rope and Stacked Actors.

Rewrite said:
And it had awesome animation that somehow turned to absolute shit in RB 3.
I know. The animation was always fantastic, especially compared to GH, but it is so stiff in RB3. The crowd animation improved, but the band went backwards.

My suggestion is to make your lead singer look mentally ill, he fits the animations better. Mine wears a bike helmet and a skirt and is about 4 and a half feet tall.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
PhoncipleBone said:
I know. The animation was always fantastic, especially compared to GH, but it is so stiff in RB3. The crowd animation improved, but the band went backwards.
I agree. What's worse are the glitches that happen every time you play a song. If it's not the mic that bounces constantly (which looks like your character sucking a dong), it's either the hair, or the hat (if your character is wearing one). I notice them every single time and it's so annoying. I don't know what they did to the drummer animation in this game, but it looks like trash compared to how smooth the drummer's animation was in RB 2. The singer...I'm not even going there. It just depresses me that one of the big things I liked about the game was completely destroyed in Rock Band 3 in favor for the newer robotic plastic models they decided to make shit out along with reused arenas using like um...in-game graphics or something.

Never forget.

Bread said:
Just picked this up today for 20 bucks, wow what an upgrade over the first 2 Rock Bands. The set list is easily my favorite, and I love the little cutscenes added in between quick play songs.
The cutscenes were cool at first, but now they're just annoying sometimes to me. I hate the limousine one with the "Low Rider" background music. I GET IT EVERY TIME! Argh! What I do like is that the songs load up SO fucking fast now, which is awesome. I miss the artist facts, to be honest. If only it was possible for Harmonix to have kept adding them for the DLC in RB 2.

Rewrite said:
I agree. What's worse are the glitches that happen every time you play a song. If it's not the mic that bounces constantly (which looks like your character sucking a dong), it's either the hair, or the hat (if your character is wearing one). I notice them every single time and it's so annoying. I don't know what they did to the drummer animation in this game, but it looks like trash compared to how smooth the drummer's animation was in RB 2. The singer...I'm not even going there. It just depresses me that one of the big things I liked about the game was completely destroyed in Rock Band 3 in favor for the newer robotic plastic models they decided to make shit out along with reused arenas using like um...in-game graphics or something.

Never forget.

I am right there with you man.

The shitty RB3 animation sometime makes me want to just play RB2 again :(

I have no idea how they fucked it up so much.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Templar Wizard said:
how can someone with a LT avatar be such a miserable bastard?

keyboard support is worth 100000000x animations :)
The keyboard came too late for me to care. I personally won't be buying it until it drops in price and when there's a decent amount of songs I like for DLC. I wouldn't want to have a paperweight peripheral just rotting away being unused. And animation is more important to my enjoyment of the gamee than keyboard support.

Nocturnedelight, you can't turn them off unfortunately.

Toymachines, yes. Why they require you to strum is beyond me. lol

Rewrite said:

Never forget.

Having never played Rockband 2 I can definitely see the appeal of RB2's animation. They are definitely more charming and expressive. On the other hand, I have to say that the lip-sync animations and the animation of fingers and hands, all look (quite a bit!) better in Rockband 3.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Maastricht said:
Having never played Rockband 2 I can definitely see the appeal of RB2's animation. They are definitely more charming and expressive. On the other hand, I have to say that the lip-sync animations and the animation of fingers and hands, all look (quite a bit!) better in Rockband 3.
You never played Rock Band 2? Crazy! Did you start in Rock Band 3 then? I think if I had started in Rock Band 3, I wouldn't have a problem with none of this myself, but I didn't which makes this painful. :(

Time We Had in Rock Band 1

Time We Had in Rock Band 3

Such a downgrade. :( :( :(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
:lol @ the notion I haven't played the keyboard yet.

It's worthless to continue this discussion. Pro guitar/bass along with Pro drums will always continue to outshine the "wait a period of time before I can play something for a few minutes and then continue to do nothing throughout the song" that is the keyboard.*

*the obvious exceptions would be the Billy Joel packs and The Doors, which have some great keyboard songs.

Yaweee

Rewrite said:
:lol @ the notion I haven't played the keyboard yet.

It's worthless to continue this discussion. Pro guitar/bass along with Pro drums will always continue to outshine the "wait a period of time before I can play something for a few minutes and then continue to do nothing throughout the song" that is the keyboard.*

*the obvious exceptions would be the Billy Joel packs and The Doors, which have some great keyboard songs.

No, there are many songs that that have pretty constant keyboard tracks. It's just that some "easy/medium" songs that are appallingly boring shit.

I wouldn't bother with the RB3 keyboard. Might as well spend $100~160 for a real keyboard+ProAdapter+MIDI->USB adapter for Synthesia.

craker

I have a quick question. Does the American version of Rock Band 3 have an import code in the manual? I have the Asian version and it has nothing in it. I'm just wondering for the far future.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
craker said:
I have a quick question. Does the American version of Rock Band 3 have an import code in the manual? I have the Asian version and it has nothing in it. I'm just wondering for the far future.
There's a 16 digit number in the back of the manual on top of a black box, which is the same amount (16) found in the back of the Rock Band 2 manual. There hasn't been any word what that 16 digit number in back of the RB 3 manual is, but it's pretty obvious it could be for a future export option.

Does anyone know which songs are going to be in the upcoming Lady Gaga track pack? my guess is the singles Born This Way, Judas, Hair and Edge of glory, but I'd buy her whole album in rockband format if I could.

craker

Rewrite said:
There's a 16 digit number in the back of the manual on top of a black box, which is the same amount (16) found in the back of the Rock Band 2 manual. There hasn't been any word what that 16 digit number in back of the RB 3 manual is, but it's pretty obvious it could be for a future export option.

Darn it! The Asian version has no number at all. I wonder why they would do that? Now I'm probably going to have to buy another copy when the eventual sequel comes out. Thanks for letting me know.

Hello!

A friend of mine lent me his keyboard and a MIDI adaptor. However, it's not being recognized. Do I need to buy an official Pro-Adapter or somesuch for it to work?

Ubersnug

Quick question,

I know that you can import the songs from rock band 1 and 2 into rock band 3. However, to do so, you need to enter a code (and pay 800(?) points, I believe). If was to buy a second hand copy of rock band 2 to import the songs into Rock Band 3, are these import codes single use?

Given how rare a brand new copy of rock band 2 is to buy, I would need to buy second hand and I would hazard that it would be pot luck that you would buy a copy which didn't have it's import code used.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ubersnug said:
Quick question,

I know that you can import the songs from rock band 1 and 2 into rock band 3. However, to do so, you need to enter a code (and pay 800(?) points, I believe). If was to buy a second hand copy of rock band 2 to import the songs into Rock Band 3, are these import codes single use?

Given how rare a brand new copy of rock band 2 is to buy, I would need to buy second hand and I would hazard that it would be pot luck that you would buy a copy which didn't have it's import code used.
For Rock Band 1, you don't need a brand new copy to export the songs. You can simply rent/borrow/buy the game used if you want, pay the $5 export fee and it'll rip the songs off the RB 1 disc. For Rock Band 2 however, you need to make sure the code hasn't been used...which is why I'd suggest you buy a new copy. That way you're 100% guaranteed to get a working export code. Also, if you buy RB 2 new, you can also download a selected free 20 song DLC pack. The code is single use only so the chances of you buying a used copy and getting a working export code is slim.

tmarques

Anyone else getting "100% Flawless" scores even though they missed a note or two? First couple of times it happened I thought I was imagining things, but now I'm positive it happens occasionally.

Top Bottom