• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

chuckddd said:
For all the complaining I did earlier in the thread about the guitar not being available. Turns out there are some in the stores here, even though the BB website said they weren't. Conundrum reacquired.
Money gone from wallet soon after, right? :)

I am waiting on tax refunds before going to hunt mine down.

My friend tried out the Squier at the Harmonix booth in Pax... it was pretty impressive. Thankfully no-fail mode was turned on.

Equally impressive was the Pax stage with Rock Band 2... It didn't have the Squier or Keytar, but there was ALWAYS a line for people wanting to play in front of a crowd.

Ridley327

MotorbreathX said:
Is there any point in getting RB3 if I have 2 and no keyboard? I have this on my Goozex queue and no keyboard comes with it.
Well, if you wanted to play any DLC released since October 26, 2010, you need RB3.

Chris R

The engine/interface upgrade is worth it. There are good songs on the disk too.

Madcatz has the ps3 midi adapter up for preorder shipping Friday. Ordered but I hope amazon gets it in stock like tomorrow so I can save $14 on shipping :(

Daigoro

Pro Drums, harmonies, and an assload of really good DLC that has been released since.

yes.

we barely even hook up the keyboard because so few songs in our library support it and its a pain in the ass to make a setlist based aroud only keyboards.

jgkspsx

Daigoro said:
we barely even hook up the keyboard because so few songs in our library support it and its a pain in the ass to make a setlist based aroud only keyboards.
Huh. Every time I boot it up these days I'm surprised at how much pro guitar and keyboard stuff I have. But then, I've probably spent as much on Rock Band DLC as on all my other XBLA purchases together.

Daigoro

yeah, there is probably a lot more in the library with keys than im giving credit to. its just a pain to want to play a song and not be able to add it because it is without keys.

RB3 as a core game is about 100000x better than RB2. There's a ton of really cool upgrades and improvements.

The reason I find it difficult to play is because the DLC has been mostly dreadful. Other than that RB3 is pretty much everything I wanted. Shitty setlist excluded, but I know better than to expect better.

woodypop

Daigoro said:
Kinda agree with you on that point. (Prior to Stage Kit integration into RB3, I often preferred playing RB2.)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The keyboard came in too late, in my opinion. Unless you know people that have been constantly buying RB 3 DLC, you won't have much to play when you're trying to play online. Had it been the standard to have keyboard since Rock Band 2, you'd have more chances of getting to play songs with keys in them online. As it stands, you're pretty much screwed by a certain degree.

woodypop

I guess it'd be different if, when making a set list, the game let the keyboard automatically default to the bass guitar on songs that don't have keyboards. Or let you choose prior to each song. But from what I can tell, you have to choose one or the other at the start of the set. (Or is there a way to do that, and I'm just too dense to figure it out?)

I hate the way everybody picks songs at the same time, speaking of that. RB2 was a much better system, and would avoid issues like picking keys and then doing nothing in some songs.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I also don't understand why it doesn't filter out the DLC so that it only shows the one you have with your friends/people you're going to play with.

jgkspsx

woodypop said:
I guess it'd be different if, when making a set list, the game let the keyboard automatically default to the bass guitar on songs that don't have keyboards. Or let you choose prior to each song. But from what I can tell, you have to choose one or the other at the start of the set. (Or is there a way to do that, and I'm just too dense to figure it out?)
I totally agree there. It's really bad on vocals, too - there are many songs that are really crappy on solo vocals (Good Vibrations) that are fine on Harmonies, but you can't pick Harmonies and have it fall through to solo if harmonies aren't there. So dumb.

The only way to deal with it now is to filter out all songs that don't have keys or pro guitar or harmonies.

Shiv47

Is there a reason the MIDI adapters are so hard to find? I was at Best Buy this morning and saw that they had the Squier, so I picked it up. They didn't have the MIDI adapter, and when I went online, Amazon sellers are charging $100+ for the PS3 version and nobody else apparently has it in stock. What the hell?

koam

I have a few questions. I bought the Squier, and I should be getting it next week.

What cable do I need (and where buy said cable) to connect the squier to the midi adapter pro?

What cable to I need to plug it into my macbook?

The Squier is platform independent right?

Anyone able to find the midi adapter for ps3 in canada?

I just got back into rock band. I play vocals a lot, also keyboard and guitar (on keyboard).

I'm looking for people to play online with. I have a lot of DLC, but mostly pop music because that's what I like to play the most. Here is a list of all my DLC: http://dlcquickplay.com/user/bunnybeat

If you want to play, add/message me on XBL my gamertag is Cyori.

Stackboy

Just picked up a microphone. Singing is really good fun!! This is coming from someone who thought all there was to Rock Band was playing drums and guitar.

Stackboy said:
Just picked up a microphone. Singing is really good fun!! This is coming from someone who thought all there was to Rock Band was playing drums and guitar.
Just wait until you get two more mics and play stuff like "Good Vibrations" with a full harmony group. Bliss.

I love harmonies on simple stuff. On songs like Good Vibrations it just results in the most horrible of sounds populating my living room.

See also; Bee Gees.

butter_stick said:
I love harmonies on simple stuff. On songs like Good Vibrations it just results in the most horrible of sounds populating my living room.

See also; Bee Gees.
Sounds horrible, but still fun to really try and nail.

The God Tier songs for harmonies are "Somebody to Love", "Under Pressure", and "Young Americans." At least for me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The problem with harmonies is that they're really confusing to read. For example, harmonies on "Bohemian Rhapsody" are really confusing because of the way they are presented. It would have been better if Harmonix actually separated each part in their own vocal highway...that way people don't get easily confused as to what their role is. It's a mess the way it is right now on songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, IMO.

bumpkin

Hmm, has anyone here picked up the "Pro" cymbal set? Is it better than the RB2 cymbal set? What annoys me about the old ones is the dull plastic thud and rattle noise when you'd hit them.

I was a little disappointed in how short the "story"part of RB3 was. The story mode in RB2 was flawed and highly repetitive but it kept me coming back to the game. I really liked the road challenges and the new way of selecting your set list but it seemed really short. I haven't even played half the new songs and I have "beat" the game.

How are you guys playing Rockband 3 after finishing up your road challenges. Are you just going into quickplay and making a setlist or is there a way to make replaying the road challenges interesting without starting a new band from the beggining?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Rewrite said:
The problem with harmonies is that they're really confusing to read. For example, harmonies on "Bohemian Rhapsody" are really confusing because of the way they are presented. It would have been better if Harmonix actually separated each part in their own vocal highway...that way people don't get easily confused as to what their role is. It's a mess the way it is right now on songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, IMO.

Or it could just be that proper harmonizing takes alot of skill.

Phatcorns

I was about to come into this topic to say that the midi adapter supply issues have finally been solved, but I guess the universe was just looking out for me.

When I found out Anamanaguchi was coming to RBN, I thought, man I need to see if they ever got those midi adapters. I checked amazon and they had them in plentiful supplies for 39.99 so I ordered one immediately. But now I see they are gone already.

And what is RBN 2.0 anyway? What are the differences?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The Culture Vulture said:
How are you guys playing Rockband 3 after finishing up your road challenges. Are you just going into quickplay and making a setlist or is there a way to make replaying the road challenges interesting without starting a new band from the beggining?
The same like I've always played Rock Band: Quickplay. <3

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
GoutPatrol said:
Or it could just be that proper harmonizing takes alot of skill.
No doubt it takes skill, but that doesn't change that it's a mess like they have it right now and by mess I mean that it's confusing as hell. Seperate each vocal track and it'd be 100x better.

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to multiquote on the GAF webapp. lol

Rewrite said:
No doubt it takes skill, but that doesn't change that it's a mess like they have it right now and by mess I mean that it's confusing as hell. Seperate each vocal track and it'd be 100x better.

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to multiquote on the GAF webapp. lol
Multiple vocal tracks would be the best. The easiest solution they can easily put in is to tell you on the screen which mic corresponds to which color line while selecting your difficulty. Unless I am missing that.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
PhoncipleBone said:
Multiple vocal tracks would be the best. The easiest solution they can easily put in is to tell you on the screen which mic corresponds to which color line while selecting your difficulty. Unless I am missing that.

I think they do tell you that. Though you can jump from line to line mid-song, which is why they're all together. If you can't hit HARM1 on one phrase, but can hit HARM2, you still pass.

Charron said:
I think they do tell you that. Though you can jump from line to line mid-song, which is why they're all together. If you can't hit HARM1 on one phrase, but can hit HARM2, you still pass.
I know you can jump parts, but telling the player more clearly at the start what color their track is will help confusion when drunk people try to sing and sing all the parts instead of just their part.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
PhoncipleBone said:
I know you can jump parts, but telling the player more clearly at the start what color their track is will help confusion when drunk people try to sing and sing all the parts instead of just their part.

But that's the fun part!

Chris R

Just FYI anyone looking for the PS3 Midi Adapter, BestBuy.com is supposedly shipping them again. I have an order with supposed delivery between the 9th and the 12th. Can't wait to use my pro guitar (odds are it is broke so I can dick around with the RMA process for 2 months :< )

Just picked this up from BB. I play real guitar, and therefore have been dying to get the Pro guitar with real frets and strings, but the price is still a bit steep for me.

Are people playing it? Did it live up to expectations? What are the thoughts on it now that it's been out for a month?

CartridgeBlower said:
Just picked this up from BB. I play real guitar, and therefore have been dying to get the Pro guitar with real frets and strings, but the price is still a bit steep for me.

Are people playing it? Did it live up to expectations? What are the thoughts on it now that it's been out for a month?

I honestly think (as someone who plays real guitar) that starting with the Mustang can give you a good impression of whether you'll like Pro enough to shell out for the Squier. For me personally, the Mustang is more than good enough. Once I learnt the song on that, I then just pick up one of my real guitars and try to play it on that.

Any more impressions on the Pro guitar? Outside of the midi adapter, is there anything else you need to buy?

Last night, my local Best Buy had both, thinking about pulling the trigger.

Ricker

TheApatheticOne said:
Any more impressions on the Pro guitar? Outside of the midi adapter, is there anything else you need to buy?

Last night, my local Best Buy had both, thinking about pulling the trigger.

You are lucky,around here(Montreal Area) I see a keyboard once in a while and never ever saw the Pro guitar...

Oh and I forgot Roundabout was in there,what an awesome song.

The Squier and midi adapters seem to be in short supply or something, I think I grabbed the last of each at my Best Buy.

Impressions of the guitar...it is pretty basic, mine says made in Indonesia FWIW (par for the course on starter Squiers). I haven't plugged it into my practice amp since I packed that up as I'm in the middle of a move, but considering how light it is and that it only has one pickup I don't expect too much. The fretboard is plastic, sitting on top of the neck (neck and head are wood) and the frets are sort of extruded from the fretboard. It's a little lol for a guitar but it not really a big deal.

Playing in the game, it's a ton of fun. You're playing guitar, there isn't much else to say. Other than really high frets and having to put up the dampening thing on the strings, I basically felt exactly the same as when I play...guitar. And I mean that as the best possible compliment I could give it. I'm happy to answer any specific questions about it...I have a ton of thoughts about it overall but bottom line is it's pretty awesome.

Oh, btw the packing is absolute shit it just flops around in the box. Mine has like a small dent on the bottom from...probably getting dropped or something. I don't care too much since this is guitar #4 for me, and kind of a novelty game controller really but seriously. I mean seriously.

Havent had a chance to play with the Squier too much, but anyone having issues with hitting the strings "just right"? It seems Im not hitting the string strong enough to register, or if I hit slightly harder, it registers but the string vibrates so much it registers more than once, meaning I miss the note one way or another. It seems like I have to hit it perfectly to register and register only once.

Top Bottom