• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
TheApatheticOne said:
Any more impressions on the Pro guitar? Outside of the midi adapter, is there anything else you need to buy?

Last night, my local Best Buy had both, thinking about pulling the trigger.

the adapter does not come with a midi cable. Not sure if the Squier does.

TheApatheticOne said:
Havent had a chance to play with the Squier too much, but anyone having issues with hitting the strings "just right"? It seems Im not hitting the string strong enough to register, or if I hit slightly harder, it registers but the string vibrates so much it registers more than once, meaning I miss the note one way or another. It seems like I have to hit it perfectly to register and register only once.

Do you have the mute thing up? It's that felt covered thing where usually there is a second pickup. Press on it to mute and unmute. Guitar flat out doesn't work if you let strings ring, you have to mute them.

I had a ton of trouble getting the audio and video lag configured, but now that everything is synced it is great. Worked my way through Living in America and I Love Rock&Roll on pro expert, so good. Except on the I Love Rock&Roll solo, where it is psychologically excruciating not to play the bends. Small complaint though. Still a lot of work to do before I try Dragonforce...

Ridley327

navanman said:
New PS3 patch 1.04 showing up for me this evening.

Any idea of what the changes are?
It fixed what was actually a major issue on a lot of songs with Pro guitar parts when played with the Squier, in that you didn't actually get scored on them.

KaYotiX

Banned
Prodigal said:
Is the $20 price drop effective in brick and mortar stores? Like could I go to Best Buy right now and grab it for that price?
Yes. It's also $20 at Target. I bought a second copy because my original has a few cracks on the inside part of the disc where it clicks into the case

jgkspsx

Eh. Fine. Ordered the Squier for in-store pickup at Best Buy (early May ha) and the midipro from Amazon, since it's back in stock. I hope the stockpeople don't destroy the poorly-padded guitar :(

bumpkin

Hmm... This may be a dumb question, but is the Squier Strat a one-size fits all in the sense that there's one version and you buy an adapter to make it 360 or PS3 compatible?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
bumpkin said:
Hmm... This may be a dumb question, but is the Squier Strat a one-size fits all in the sense that there's one version and you buy an adapter to make it 360 or PS3 compatible?

Indeed. The MIDI Pro Adapter determines what console it works for.

Chris R

Finally got my midi pro adapter. Now to spend time getting the different strings picking up correctly. Did the first two training exercises but after that the strings started to not get every pluck :( pretty cool so far though, and I can finally use my guitar!

itsnervedamage said:
Do you have the mute thing up? It's that felt covered thing where usually there is a second pickup. Press on it to mute and unmute. Guitar flat out doesn't work if you let strings ring, you have to mute them.

Okay, so....where do I sign up for biggest moron at? Lol. Thats what I get for diving right in without looking or reading anything. Thanks!

bumpkin

TheApatheticOne said:
Any more impressions on the Pro guitar? Outside of the midi adapter, is there anything else you need to buy?

Last night, my local Best Buy had both, thinking about pulling the trigger.
I got mine last night and played around with it for about two or three hours, mostly in the training mode. As a disclaimer, I am by no means a skilled guitarist. I've only played a Fender acoustic (which I own) and an Ovation electric-acoustic (that a friend has). I know the basic chords, but suck at chord changes.

That being said, so far I dig it. It's more or less what I expected based on the "Rose of Jericho" guy's three part video review. My quick thoughts...

+ Feels solid and substantial like a regular electric guitar

+ The position detection on the Frets is really responsive

+ With a good pick (I'm using a Fender heavy) strumming feels good

- The bottom (thinnest) E string seems to not always register if I don't pluck it hard

- If you don't have guitar calluses on your fingertips, holding strings can hurt (due to the thick strings it uses)

I haven't tried it plugged into an amp yet... I don't even own one. Sometime I may try it with Garage Band on my Mac once I get the hang of a song or two in-game.

Oni Jazar

bumpkin said:
- The bottom (thinnest) E string seems to not always register if I don't pluck it hard

The sensitivity can be adjusted by either raising or lowering the pickup or tuning the pots that are located inside the battery compartment just below the batteries - unscrew the flap and you will find 6 screws that adjust sensitivity for each string. Check the Rock Band support forums for more info.

I just successfully ordered the MIDI adapter from amazon.de, so they not only have it fully in stock but also ship it to the Netherlands. Same for Rock Band: Beatles, which I now even got for 7,50 euro. As a nice detail, on gaf there's a screenshot suggesting that we'll be able to import the songs from that into Rockband 3 in the near future.

Intending to use the MIDI adapter with a regular MIDI keyboard; though you also need it for the Squier, I am going to remain happy with the Mustang for now. ;)

If the MIDI adapter shows up, I'm wondering about what I should get next. I'm currently really interested in the Yamaha NP30, as it seems to be a decent piano with a near full-sized keyboard (76 keys), but with a lighter weight which should make it a little easier for fast keyboard type stuff, and weighing just 5kg in total, so pretty easy to hide away somewhere when needed.

It's that or a cheap MIDI controller, but I really like my keyboards to be able to do at least a decent standalone piano sound, and this one seems a pretty good combination of lightweight, full size keys (but lighter), good piano sound and MIDI in/out obviously. I used to have a Roland E-16 which I could just about live with (though much nicer to hook it up to my xv-5050's much better piano sound), but the power connector has worn completely to bits so I need something new. The NP30 doesn't have many sounds, but I rarely want many, and when I do, there's still that xv-5050.

What doo you guys use for keyboard parts?

jgkspsx

Got my Squier. Even knowing that the Midi adaptor was needed for navigation, I wasn't prepared for how annoying it would be. And since the midi adaptor doesn't support external kick pedal/stomp box overdrive activation, there doesn't seem any decent way to activate overdrive, so my scores will never be competitive (like they ever were lol).

I know the midi adaptor was designed to be a little stompable, but there is no way I'm stomping on my $40 piece of plastic :\

Otherwise... Having some trouble with strings registering (oddly, the B string seems most problematic) but I cranked the pickup up and... now I'm mostly having problems with false positives. Sounded like crap with my amp, but then it's a crap amp. Sigh. Still a neat piece of kit.

Got that NP30, very happy with it. The built-in speakers aren't fantastic, but on headphones you can hear it is high-quality stuff (really great, much better than anything I had on the XV5050 or E-16), and the overal build-quality seems excellent. The piano keys turned out to be exactly what I hoped they would be - shaped and sized like real piano keys, but just that little bit lighter to the touch versus real piano keys, which would make certain keyboard-style use too hard/heavy on the fingers (for instance also for Rockband).

MIDI features are great too, have been playing with that XV5050 for a bit already, works a treat. Now I'm just dying for that MIDI adapter! Should be here any day, but if it doesn't get here today (which seems increasingly likely) that means I won't have it before Tuesday probably.

Also got Rockband: Beatles, which I'm enjoying. I love While My Guitar Gently Weeps - the only song which I immediately played again. Playing everything on Expert Guitar currently (which is harder than I thought, but not very hard, as I always get 3-5 stars), will probably start with drums soon. My wife even expressed interest in doing harmonies with me.

EDIT: and it should NEVER be quiet here. There is just no excuse. :p

Yaweee

Tried the real guitar at a friends' place. It was awesome, and did a good job of representing what you are supposed to be doing with your fingers. I sucked at it (never played guitar before), but I'm interested in learning. It has motivated me to pick up a copy of the game and the MIDI adapter for my keyboard.

Are there any weird compatibility issues with keyboards, or would any Casio with MIDI out work?

bumpkin

jgkspsx said:
Otherwise... Having some trouble with strings registering (oddly, the B string seems most problematic) but I cranked the pickup up and... now I'm mostly having problems with false positives. Sounded like crap with my amp, but then it's a crap amp. Sigh. Still a neat piece of kit.
I was having occasional trouble with one or two strings not registering unless I really plucked 'em hard, so I made adjustments to the pickup based on what the instructions said/recommended. I found it weird that out-of-the-box, the measurements from the fretted string to the pickup didn't match what the instructions say is the ideal measurement. I haven't had a chance to really test it out again though. I'll report back once I do...

From the rockband forums' sticky threads:

Q: Can I use any keyboard with it?

A: You should be able to use any keyboard with a standard MIDI output. There is a list of tested to be compatible keyboards in the MIDI PRO Manual.

And a handful of keyboards they actually tested with:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4741/mptestedkeyboardlist.jpg

Q: How are the keys of my MIDI keyboard mapped in RB3?

A: In Pro mode keys are mapped from C3 - C5. In Standard mode the white keys only are mapped from C4 to G4. The pitch wheel is used for whammy.

I should point out at this point that the NP30 that I got does not have a pitch change wheel. That is it's only drawback, as far as I am concerned, but nothing I was planning to use with Rockband anyway. One corner of the MIDI controller is used for overdrive - that is probably a bit of a drawback versus the keytar, but I think I'll just place that on the floor in place of my sustain pedal.

Would actually have been sweet if they could support a sustain pedal press for overdrive, though I don't know if that is actually a MIDI signal.

EDIT: someone gives a small review who tried it with an old Yamaha PSR300

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215119&highlight=MIDI+keyboard

EDIT2:

Lieferung voraussichtlich: 5. Mai 2011 - 23. Mai 2011

Gah. It wasn't amazon that was stocking this, but it's being sent through gameseek. So looks like it'll be a little while before I'll have it (though reviews say that the stuff generally appears sooner than the delivery date suggests). *sigh*

koam

jgkspsx said:
Even knowing that the Midi adaptor was needed for navigation, I wasn't prepared for how annoying it would be.

What are you talking about? I use my Squier to navigate through everything. I've never touched the midi adapter except for turning the switch from Keys to Guitar the first time.

the adapter does not come with a midi cable. Not sure if the Squier does.

Squier does, i found out after i bought mine :/

jgkspsx

koam said:
What are you talking about? I use my Squier to navigate through everything. I've never touched the midi adapter except for turning the switch from Keys to Guitar the first time.
You're on PS3, I presume? None of the buttons on the Squier are supported on 360. Maybe overdrive is, but I haven't done it yet.

JoseJX

Figured I would post some impressions on the guitar, although I haven't played it in game yet. I've played guitar on and off for 15 years. I'm not an expert, but I know my way around a guitar.

Okay, so I bought the Squier primarily as a MIDI controller and to that end, it works pretty well. The plastic fretboard does feel really low quality compared to the fretboards on the rest of my guitars, it feels like it's scraping when you do a bend or vibrato. That said, the controller doesn't pick those up, so I'll just have to get used to not doing them! It sounds pretty much like you'd expect a cheap one pickup guitar to sound, bright and shrill, but it gets the job done.

When I got mine, the MIDI pickup would only register the low E. I had to open the battery compartment, and then under that, there's another set of 2 screws which can be taken out to reveal some variable resistors. Turn them counter-clockwise to make the MIDI sensor more sensitive, clockwise to make it less sensitive. After about 30 minutes of tweaking, I was getting reliable results on my MIDI recording station from the guitar. There are two modes, a synth mode which does a Note-ON on each fret change and a normal mode which does a Note-On on each strum.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the guitar for what I paid, it's not a great guitar or a great MIDI guitar, but I feel like it was worth it and it's a cool toy.

We have an amazing lineup of DLC scheduled for May, including new tracks from the Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, and Ozzy Osbourne. First up, the Foo Fighters continue to add to their legacy with the release of their new album Wasting Light, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last week. On May 10, we’ll release a pack of their music, as well as two Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades to songs from the Rock Band catalog. I am a huge fan, and I’m looking forward to Tuesday. We will have all the details on Ozzy, Lady Gaga and more coming soon.

That’s really tough. I’m pretty excited about the entire May slate. Ozzy. Foo Fighters. Lady Gaga. All are Day One purchases for me. But I should mention that tucked in among these amazing May releases is a classic Peter Frampton track - “Do You Feel Like We Do” from Frampton Comes Alive. It’s this epic 13-minute jam with some blistering keys, brilliant guitar playing, and of course, the signature talk-box guitar effect. This masterpiece will pummel you, wear you down, but ultimately leave you begging for more. I can’t wait! Plus, it’s a great value on a dollars-per-minute basis.

Ozzy is re-releasing two legendary albums – Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of Ozz – at the end of this month so this was the right time for Rock Band to participate in the excitement that this will undoubtedly create and release some amazing DLC from those albums.

blah blah blah no Rock Band 4 in 2011

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-future-of-rock-band-dlc.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

So got to try my MIDI Pro Adapter with my Yamaha NP30, and have to say: Pro Keyboard is awesome! Very happy now. Sure, there are some early 'warmup' level songs where you think - why does this track even have keyboard in it in the first place, where it is just some nonsense synth that barely adds anything and is drowned out completely by bass and guitar, but as soon as you get to difficulty levels of 2 and up, things start to get pretty exciting and there is some great music to be played.

I am also quite pleased with the keyboard lessons in the game - I never took actual lessons and although I can find my way around the keyboard fairly well, these lessons are actually useful. I could get through the advanced scales lessons for instance pretty easily, but they did teach me (and in one case reminded me) the correct way to do various scales with helpful pointers about what technique to use which was in part why I managed to do them so easily. By contrast, some of the advanced chord lessons took me an hour to get.

The major downside I guess would be that the game basically only teaches you one handed play, so if you want to progress beyond that you'll need to either teach yourself to play basslines with your right hand, or get real piano lessons. But I'm having a blast, and when I played some freestyle after my long session (I think I may have played 4-5 hours straight), I was already a better player.

I had a tonne of fun with a song that has some really jazzy chords and progressions. It is very hard (even if it only says level 3 or so) and I went into training mode for it to learn the chord progressions, and am quite a bit from mastering that song yet, but it is a really great song. Can't find or remember the title, ironically, but it was very late. Will look it up. ;) It's probably a DLC song, come to think of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its a shame that the pro keyboard doesn't let you use all the keys when you use a MIDI controller. The octave shift thing is a PITA so most of the time I just play regular non-pro keys. we have a piano with a MIDI interface that we could use but it'd be cool if it didn't pitch shift in that case.

Sold my mustang as it wasn't getting any use - I'd overdosed on the full drumkit and pro keyboard, so I'll stick with those for now - the drums are just fantastic, so much better with cymbals

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Daigoro said:
Pro Drums, harmonies, and an assload of really good DLC that has been released since.

yes.

we barely even hook up the keyboard because so few songs in our library support it and its a pain in the ass to make a setlist based aroud only keyboards.

just play the keyboard as bass? or you already have two guitars going as well?

mrklaw said:
its a shame that the pro keyboard doesn't let you use all the keys when you use a MIDI controller. The octave shift thing is a PITA so most of the time I just play regular non-pro keys. we have a piano with a MIDI interface that we could use but it'd be cool if it didn't pitch shift in that case.

Maybe, though on the other hand I have the MIDI Pro controller's overdrive buttong lying around in the C0-C2 area for my left hand to press overdrive when necessary. I'd have to keep moving that around a little if the range would shift depending on the song. And although it is a shame that the game can't do full right and left hand all over the keyboard yet, at least this arrangement gives me room to do my own bass line in the non-charted area. At least I see some potential for this. Of course it would be nice if perhaps you could have a double chart for keyboard, one for melody / right hand, and one for bass / left hand. That way they could also support making use of more than just the two chords.

Sold my mustang as it wasn't getting any use - I'd overdosed on the full drumkit and pro keyboard, so I'll stick with those for now - the drums are just fantastic, so much better with cymbals

I can imagine. My Guitar Hero kit always came with three toms and two cymbals, which I always thought was much better (back when I got it). Nowadays though of course I'm more jealous of not being able to play pro drums in Rockband than anything else. ;)

I'll definitely never sell my Mustang, as guitar is still my first love (even if now it is still mostly Pro Bass on Expert). But in Rockband, drums and keys are definitely awesome as well, and overall the game is fast becoming my no 1 most loved game of all time, at least in so far as you can still call it a game rather than an interactive teacher / music experience ... :D

Oh no! I'm getting an "Unable to load song, skipping" error on every non-RB3 disc song right now. Obviously I'm unable to log onto PSN to sort out any licensing issues, but I'm playing on my original PS3, with my original user.

We're having a Rock Band evening tomorrow, don't tell me I won't be able to access 75% of my songs as long as PSN stays down!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
SiegfriedFM said:
Oh no! I'm getting an "Unable to load song, skipping" error on every non-RB3 disc song right now. Obviously I'm unable to log onto PSN to sort out any licensing issues, but I'm playing on my original PS3, with my original user.

We're having a Rock Band evening tomorrow, don't tell me I won't be able to access 75% of my songs as long as PSN stays down!
I played some Rock Band 3 yesterday and all my songs loaded just fine. Maybe your disc is slightly dirty? I only had that problem once, but that was before the outage. lol

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
SiegfriedFM said:
Maybe I was a bit vague. RB3 disc songs load fine, but every DLC song (including exported RB1 and RB2) gives me the error.
I know what you were talking about. It was pretty clear lol

When I get home I'll boot up the game and see if I have the same problem. If I do, it could be due to the PSN down time but I doubt it since it loaded up all my exports/DLC just fine yesterday. ;)

toymachine said:
How the mighty have fallen. :tehee

Since I can't connect to PSN, the game logs me in as my standard PS3 user name. I'm guessing that's the problem... and if so, I'm locked out until the shit works.

Strangely enough I tried to disconnect my ethernet earlier and started the game, while PSN was still alive. I wanted to see if I could bring the console to my parents and not have to have internet access there. It worked then, strange that it won't work now.

Also, same problem with The Beatles: Rock Band but that game just locks on the loading screen rather than giving me an error. That kind of rules out HDD errors and probably leaves licensing trouble.

DLC Week of 5/10 - Foo Fighters 4 Pack & Legacy Pro Upgrades! Plus Lordi & Run DMC!
Hey gang,

As some of you may have seen, we teased some of the May DLC in a recent article on Game Informer to a hugely positive response! We revealed upcoming DLC from the Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga and Ozzy Osbourne, though you'll likely see a few other surprises in the mix.

Here's the first look at the specific Foo Fighters tracks coming out next week, some of the most requested songs we've seen on the forums as of late! Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (May 10) and PlayStation®3 system (May 19):

• Foo Fighters – “Long Road to Ruin”
• Foo Fighters – “Rope” X
• Foo Fighters – “Stacked Actors”
• Foo Fighters – “Walk”
• Lordi – “Hard Rock Hallelujah”
• Run-DMC – “King of Rock”

Pro Guitar Additions for Legacy Songs

• Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench”
• Foo Fighters – “The Pretender”

Has there been any more rumors about Harmonix's big E3 announcement?

As odd as this sounds, I'm actually hedging my bets on a Queen:Rock Band. Last year (July) Brian May basically leaked details about it, I got this quote off of softpedia, but Gamespot also reported it last year. Personally, I hope it's true.

Legendary guitarist and recent astrophysics professor Brian May, the man who played lead guitar for Queen, has pretty much confirmed that Harmonix and MTV Games are working on a Rock Band videogame centered on the career of his band, which was headed by Freddy Mercury. It seems that the game is being developed alongside Rock Band 3 and might arrive at some point in 2011.

May told DN, a Sweden-based news site, that the title would be built around the music of Queen and that one of the highlights would be playing one of their legendary stadium concerts, complete with theatrics and crowd reactions. Apparently, the guitarist realized he was not supposed to talk about Queen: Rock Band and deflected further questions.

Queen made an appearance in LEGO Rock Band and Brian May talked about the possibility of a full title dedicated to the band last year, when the gaming world was still awed about how Harmonix and MTV Games managed to create a complex experience with their iteration dedicated to The Beatles.

The two companies have neither officially confirmed nor denied that such a project exists. The developer has recently put up a poll on its official site asking fans to show which band they found more interesting for a future project but clearly stated that no decision would be based only on player interest.

At the moment, Harmonix is working on two big projects. Rock Band 3 is set to arrive late during this year and offer more songs, as usual, but also deliver a more complex simulation experience, with keyboards included for the first time and an options model bringing guitar playing closer to reality. Dance Central is the other project, linked with Microsoft's Kinect motion tracking system, focused on the simulation of gaming without the use of any mat peripherals.

mojiimbo

I thought the safe bet was Dance Central 2 and possibly a Beatles export if you want to go out on a limb. I doubt they'd do a new Queen physical release when no one really cares enough to pay $60 for Rock Band anymore, especially when most of Queen's hits have already been put up twice on the RB store.

Top Bottom