• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

ultron87

So what are the best options for getting new guitars and drums these days? I'm looking to replace my RB1 gear.

It's a shame there isn't a band pack this year. I'll definitely be getting the keyboard bundle.

DuckRacer

LakeEarth said:
I'm interested in keyboards, but without a keyboard/game combo I'll just wait a bit to save some cash. It's not like I don't have 10 other games I need to play.
Yeah, it's pretty appalling how Harmonix screws over the PS3 userbase time and time again. If I only had a PS3 I'd probably get both Fallout New Vegas and Gran Turismo 5 instead and support developers who don't have an irrational dislike for their customers.
Sai-kun said:
Wow. No crowd singalongs. :(

Hearing a crowd sing Bulletproof or Bad Romance was the best thing ever.
wat

Bulletproof doesn't have crowd singalongs. The last song to have them was Godzilla in Feb, and a couple tracks in Lego RB prior to that.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
DuckRacer said:
If I only had a PS3 I'd probably get both Fallout New Vegas and Gran Turismo 5 instead and support developers who don't have an irrational dislike for their customers.

:lol

DuckRacer said:
Yeah, it's pretty appalling how Harmonix screws over the PS3 userbase time and time again. If I only had a PS3 I'd probably get both Fallout New Vegas and Gran Turismo 5 instead and support developers who don't have an irrational dislike for their customers.
Ice cold.

But seriously, why did they stop doing sing-alongs? How fucking hard is it to record a couple people singing various parts of a song and mess with the pitch? Lazy assholes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Green Scar said:
Needs a better thread title, like 'Rock Band 3 |OT| of talking about goddam Rock Band, assholes'
qx741i.jpg

Ridley327

canadian crowe said:
What's the character creation like? As good as guitar hero?
You now have full control over your character's features, and unlike Guitar Hero, they don't all have hideous Jay Leno-esque jawlines.

Ridley327 said:
You now have full control over your character's features, and unlike Guitar Hero, they don't all have hideous Jay Leno-esque jawlines.

While this is true, the faces are much uglier than in RB2.

Ridley327 said:
Male_singer.PNG

Monster Manjaw sez: "Don't be hating," in addition to various neanderthal-like grunts and yelps.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmm.

Compared to the Rock Band 2 launch, my hype is pretty muted. The game looks awesome but my interest in the genre is much lower at this point. I want to get this eventually but my drums are busted and I need a new guitar controller so I've got a lot of money to spend before I can get on board.

W1SSY

I preordered the keyboard and game for PS3. This release kind of snuck up on me and I didn't realize it was out next week.

Wired All Wrong said:

Interesting. So they got rid of the money system completely and tied the unlocks to challenges. I don't think I'm down with that. My only problem with the money system was that you couldn't share it between characters which meant I was literally grinding with certain characters just to get them to where I wanted them. Tieing the unlocks to skill based challenges (especially Pro ones) means there are certain things I'll just never unlock. Hopefully they'll patch in an alternate way to do that (please don't be paid download!).

tmarques

ultron87 said:
So what are the best options for getting new guitars and drums these days? I'm looking to replace my RB1 gear.

It's a shame there isn't a band pack this year. I'll definitely be getting the keyboard bundle.

I know I'll be mocked, but I bought a Warriors of Rock bundle last week. Haven't even unsealed the game, but the drums feel great and I have always liked the GH guitar better than the RB one, even though the latter looks much cooler.

Judging by the NPD data, though, I kind of wish I had waited a couple of months.

Gamestop in my mall sold the game early. FUCK YEAH! Installing right now.

Unfortunately, I need to go back in a week to get the DLC code for the free songs.

Also :( to Charron not doing the OT for this. He had been talking about it in the DLC thread for some time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Deadstar said:
Has anyone played keyboard? Is it fun/challenging?
People are going to have a hard time playing the keys. They'll be some songs you'll be able to do on pro mode because it's the same keys being played over and over. Then there's other songs that are just brutal. You'll have to get adjusted to the highway and placement of the keys...think of it like learning guitar/drums all over again. start from easy and work your way up!

Maztorre

I already own a keyboard (Yamaha PSR E413) and am considering getting the RB3 MIDI Pro adapter. I just checked though and the E413 only has USB/sustain/phone outputs. Would using a USB-MIDI cable and running that into the MIDI adapter work? Has anyone tried?

Ridley327

Maztorre said:
I already own a keyboard (Yamaha PSR E413) and am considering getting the RB3 MIDI Pro adapter. I just checked though and the E413 only has USB/sustain/phone outputs. Would using a USB-MIDI cable and running that into the MIDI adapter work? Has anyone tried?
We won't know until they ship next month.

Well, stat tracking whores will be happy. Breaks down all sections of the song at the end and tells you percentages, just like GH II used to. Good news.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
NameGenerated said:

Yep, RBN. Through TAG (That Authoring Group), the newest "large" team that's still proving itself. Noble, the guy who started the team, has been so aggressive on getting new artists that he actually had to step down for medical reasons, he's over-exerting and over-stressing himself with it. But he's getting good shit.

(Though he got sniped on The Touch, and through a series of miscommunications I might be sniping them on an artist too.)

Finally some Dire Straits, and it's "Walk of Life"? Fercrissake. INXS & Zevon, surprisingly cool. "Ask" would have been a better Smiths song. The melodic 70s/80s stuff (Dio, Whitesnake, Ozzy, Night Ranger, Queen, etc.) should be fun with people. What's up with the lack of Journey? They are the ideal 5-piece commercial rock band. Overall, an improvement from RB2.

Will wait till it's all cheap, more DLC is out (Johnny Winter plz), and the Pro guitar is available. Will probably pick up Beatles at that point as well, just to round things out. Maybe Green Day if it's under $20.

Luigison

I preordered the game on Amazon, but didn't see an official guitar/controller. I guess the Madcatz one is likely official, but isn't there supposed to be a real Fender guitar too?

Mad Catz is the official controller.

Also, browsing the menu shows that they retroactively added harmonies to the Pearl Jam DLC. Very nice.

Belgand

Rewrite said:
There's been a lot of revelations that have disappointed me, however. Lack of crowd singalongs on the Rock Band 3 setlist is one of them. It had so much potential considering some of the songs just BEG for crowd singalongs.

Being at PAX or even a good Rock Band night at a local bar and playing a suitably anthemic song and hearing the live crowd singing along on the chorus or, even more epically, clapping just... fuck man, that's what it's all about.

That's one of the biggest things Harmonix is trying to teach non-musicians. The feel of the crowd as you give out as much energy as you can and you get it coming back to you.

Kryten

Can someone confirm the lack of Super Easy for me please? I'm getting it regardless, but Lego's Super Easy makes it awesome for my kids (they're 4 and 2) to play along by just bashing the drums, and I want the bigger library of songs to play with them :)

Ridley327

PhoncipleBone said:
Mad Catz is the official controller.

Also, browsing the menu shows that they retroactively added harmonies to the Pearl Jam DLC. Very nice.
Well, I wouldn't say retroactively since, by all indications, they've always been there. There's been a lot of talk of the Pearl Jam Live project being canceled at the last minute and it was certainly a good candidate for incorporating harmonies.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Kryten said:
Can someone confirm the lack of Super Easy for me please? I'm getting it regardless, but Lego's Super Easy makes it awesome for my kids (they're 4 and 2) to play along by just bashing the drums, and I want the bigger library of songs to play with them :)
You can always turn on No Fail mode. It's still there. I don't think there's Super Easy in the game, unfortunately.

Belgand said:
Being at PAX or even a good Rock Band night at a local bar and playing a suitably anthemic song and hearing the live crowd singing along on the chorus or, even more epically, clapping just... fuck man, that's what it's all about.

That's one of the biggest things Harmonix is trying to teach non-musicians. The feel of the crowd as you give out as much energy as you can and you get it coming back to you.
When I played it at E3, the people that were seeing me play weren't singing. :(

Luigison said:
I preordered the game on Amazon, but didn't see an official guitar/controller. I guess the Madcatz one is likely official, but isn't there supposed to be a real Fender guitar too?
The realtar isn't coming out until early next year.

Belgand said:

My cat usually doesn't give me energy, it just sits there and seems nonplussed.

Ridley327 said:
Well, I wouldn't say retroactively since, by all indications, they've always been there. There's been a lot of talk of the Pearl Jam Live project being canceled at the last minute and it was certainly a good candidate for incorporating harmonies.
The stuff I downloaded off of "Ten" has harmonies now. That was a good chunk of time ago for them to embed it in and not do it on stuff like Queen.

And going through the modifier settings, there is an option called "Individual Track Speeds." :D

Top Bottom