• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Ridley327 said:
Well, I wouldn't say retroactively since, by all indications, they've always been there. There's been a lot of talk of the Pearl Jam Live project being canceled at the last minute and it was certainly a good candidate for incorporating harmonies.

Where is this talk of it being cancelled? I mean, I figured, but I guess I'm looking for some evidence to just smite out the last bit of hope in my heart so I can sleep better at night. :S

Ridley327

legend166 said:
I really hope they've got a lot of good keyboard DLC lined up.

I want Billy Joel and Elton John packs.
Billy Joel is all but officially announced at this point. He was one of the artists on IGN's poll for the 2000th song and everyone else on that list has gotten DLC already or, in the case of the Doors, next week. He, along with Rush, have yet to have their announcements and we still don't know what's coming on the week of Nov. 2.

One addition that I am VERY happy about: When playing full band it assigns you stars based not just for the full band, but for each instrument and saves the scores for them. So we may have four starred a song, but the piano was only given 3 stars while the bass got gold stars. No more having to play the song multiple times to get scores on each instrument! YAY!

Also, I would LOVE a Billy Joel pack. And more Elton please.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I was reading a thread at the Rock Band forums and I read something about being able to "delete"undesirable songs from the library besides being able to hide them. Can anyone confirm this?

PhoncipleBone said:
One addition that I am VERY happy about: When playing full band it assigns you stars based not just for the full band, but for each instrument and saves the scores for them. So we may have four starred a song, but the piano was only given 3 stars while the bass got gold stars. No more having to play the song multiple times to get scores on each instrument! YAY!

THAT. IS. AWESOME!! :D

Err...correction. It doesnt save the scores for the instruments at the end, but at least gives you star rankings per instrument. That is better than nothing. So while the band may not have gotten five stars, at least I know I gold starred the bassline.

Ridley327

PhoncipleBone said:
Err...correction. It doesnt save the scores for the instruments at the end, but at least gives you star rankings per instrument. That is better than nothing. So while the band may not have gotten five stars, at least I know I gold starred the bassline.
They do record individual scores for the leaderboards, though. You have that to look forward to now.

Ridley327 said:
They do record individual scores for the leaderboards, though. You have that to look forward to now.
Ah, cool. Nice to know that. Still havent played too much. Love the drop in, drop out mode that they copied from Guitar Hero though. I love not having to back out into menus just to leave or join in a game.

Javaman

mrklaw said:
I'm looking forward to impressions for the cymbals and keyboard.

If I want cymbal support I'll have to buy a full drumkit, as I only have RB1 drums at the moment - and madcatz ones are £100 which is quite steep.

Keyboard I'm curious about as my wife plays piano so she might be interested. But I don't know how easy it is for a pianist to handle the way the game presents the notes, or how she'll get on with a two octave keyboard. (we have an electric piano which has MIDI out but you're still restricted to two octaves, right?)

If you are serious about the drums I would highly recommend the ION set. They are releasing a "pro" version with an updated kick pedal (The original one is a hi-hat pedal. :eek:P) and extra cymbal. I had the earlier version with RB2 and it made a huge difference in the fun and accuracy side of things. I'm still waiting on an upgrade option from them to bring my set up to the "pro" setup.

drumrocker_460x288_xbox.jpg

drumrockerpro_xbox_web_med.jpg

Pancho said:
So is the Rock Band 3 opening video is as crazy as the other 2?
Eh, havent bothered really.

I will say I am not a huge fan of the interstitial animations between songs and menus. Reminds me too much of Tony Hawk 4. Perhaps I was just so used to just slapping between menus on RB2.

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:
Eh, havent bothered really.

I will say I am not a huge fan of the interstitial animations between songs and menus. Reminds me too much of Tony Hawk 4. Perhaps I was just so used to just slapping between menus on RB2.

Yeah, I suppose I get you there. It might be cool at first but after the novelty wears off it might get annoying. I really like it though, how your band plays a bigger part in the game in general and they are present most of the time somewhere in the background.

parasight said:
It's actually rather boring. Kind of Singstar'ish. Nothing at all like the first two.

Ah, that sucks.

The other 2 were pretty fun and surreal, although Lego RB's takes the cake in terms of insanity :lol

My hype has been kind of fading. I'm mostly a single player (I only have a guitar). For anyone who has it- are the improvements that much better for single player, or should I wait for a price drop/used price and eventually get a full band set?

canadian crowe said:
My hype has been kind of fading. I'm mostly a single player (I only have a guitar). For anyone who has it- are the improvements that much better for single player, or should I wait for a price drop/used price and eventually get a full band set?
The guitar plays the same it always has. The question is if you want the new songs.

The song sorting features are very nice, and there is a lot more customization available in this one though. I only have full band sessions every few months, so it is mainly single player for me as well. But I would suggest picking up the drums or keys to give those a try.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
canadian crowe said:
If you're a guitar player, this Rock Band will disappoint you. Most of the songs don't look fun at all. If it wasn't for DLC, this Rock Band would be the worst for guitar players.

Ridley327

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Any difference on the Hammer on and pull off timing? Rock Band is so much stricter than GH and I never have a chance of doing a complicated solo on expert.
The engine is looser, especially for fast strumming/drumming sections. HOPOs have never been too much of an issue, but I'd imagine that they got tweaked a bit, as well.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Any difference on the Hammer on and pull off timing? Rock Band is so much stricter than GH and I never have a chance of doing a complicated solo on expert.
The timing seems just ever so slightly looser. I never had an issue with RB 2 hammer ons except the HOPO chords, which were fixed earlier. The timing is nowhere near as goatse wide as GH's, but it is still loose enough.

The timing on the keyboard is really strict though.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
The engine is looser, especially for fast strumming/drumming sections. HOPOs have never been too much of an issue, but I'd imagine that they got tweaked a bit, as well.

Hopefully is not as loose as the GH games right?

And I still havent quite figured out the trill sections on guitar. They look like drum fill areas, but with a few notes to hit. It throws me off and have yet to hit one just right.

I still havent tried pro drums yet. That is for tomorrow. I do know that keys in any fashion are going to be a big hurdle for me. The keyboard stand is quite nice to have, but it is tempting to use the included strap and play it keytar style. Perhaps only for Final Countdown.

Ridley327

Pancho said:
Hopefully is not as loose as the GH games right?
They've never been too big on making games extraordinarily loose. RB1 was actually a little bit tighter than GH2, but they eased up with RB2 and TB:RB.

The pause function is improved now as well. The song rewinds a few seconds after pausing so you can get your timing back, which works much better than the countdown the Beatles had.

bounchfx

canadian crowe said:

:(

you're missing 80%+ of the game.

I play single player a majority of the time but it's really worth exploring all of the instruments.

Ridley327

robotzombie said:
Are lefty drummers screwed in terms of pro-mode drums? or do the cymbals move accordingly?
Not only did they fix it, but the new cymbals set actually comes with a red topper for one of them.

bounchfx said:
:(

you're missing 80%+ of the game.

I play single player a majority of the time but it's really worth exploring all of the instruments.
Seconded. I bought the first RB for guitar, but learning to use the drums has been so satisfying and fun. I cant sing to save my life, but I can have fun with plastic toy instruments.

Ridley327 said:
Not only did they fix it, but the new cymbals set actually comes with a red topper for one of them.
I had a red topper for about five minutes, then my cat stole it and started batting it around the apartment.

Ridley327

I imagine that the tracklist will be based off whatever is being included on that new greatest hits CD. The problem with that is I can't find a single listing for the album yet. :lol

Thanks for the impressions. I love me some Rock Band but for a single player the changes don't seem like a Day-1 purchase for me. I might be in the minority but I miss the Guitar Hero 1 and 2 single player modes (Beatles was also amazing).

Pancho

Qurupancho
What I really hope they fixed is the online.

Don't know who else suffers from the same problem but I can't play with some of my friends for no reason at all. I've tried every damn " fix" posted on forums and still can't play with some of my friends, sadly. I've also sent HMX my complaints about it and they don't answer or give me the same " fix" everyone post on forums.

Top Bottom