• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Raistlin

Hige said:
Well, you can invite friends to play without strangers if that's what you mean.

Yeah, that's what I was asking. My point was, for this situation the current method seems cool.

I don't have a lot of online friends that play Rock Band and it's rare to get my local friends to play in person, so I have to resort to quickplay with strangers if I want my multiplayer fix.

Understood. For normal quickplay they should use the RB2 method.

A lot of people have been calling for explicitly going back to the RB2 mech; completely removing the current method. I'm just arguing that yes they definitely should handle quickplay (strangers) the same as RB2 ... but should keep the current mech for when playing with friends. That said, it sounds like they should still tweak the RB3 interface a bit.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
jgkspsx said:
I entered my Lego code, and it said they had run out of export keys. Then I tried again an hour later, and it said it had already been used. Argggggh.

If only I had stuck with the Wii version, I wouldn't have had to worry about exporting :lol (sorry guys)

Same thing happened to me. I dropped support an email with a screen shot from the first time I tried it. Haven't heard back yet though.

How do the reviews work in this game? If I play guitar and review a song, will that rating be across all instruments or just for guitar?

LegoDad

Ricker said:
Why did they stick Imagine,in the beginner set list goals for 3 stars on guitar and there is no guitar to use in the song :lol ...played it on Bass,not sure if it worked for the goal though.

Loving the songs so far,even those I never heard before are awesome :lol

don't you play the keyboard part, but using the guitar?

I just noticed that the Keytar bundle is only 100 euros ... that makes it very tempting to get that, to be honest, just for convenience (it's not always practical to get out a full midi-keyboard).

Is it touch sensitive? EDIT: yes it is. May be very convenient for me to have something like this (wireless, can use it on my XV-5050). If mediamarkt has it tomorrow and it's around the same price (100 euro) as on amazon.de, I think I'll get it.

Yeef

AndyMoogle said:
How do the reviews work in this game? If I play guitar and review a song, will that rating be across all instruments or just for guitar?
Rating is just for the song and ignores instruments.

Rating adds a modifier that decides how likely a song is to come up in a random playlist.

No Review or 3 lighters have the standard chance of coming up.

1 - Won't come up at all (provided there's enough other songs)
2 - Half as likely to come up.
4 - 1.5x as likely to come up
5 -Twice as likely to come up

Yeef said:
Rating is just for the song and ignores instruments.

Rating adds a modifier that decides how likely a song is to come up in a random playlist.

No Review or 3 lighters have the standard chance of coming up.

1 - Won't come up at all (provided there's enough other songs)
2 - Half as likely to come up.
4 - 1.5x as likely to come up
5 -Twice as likely to come up
Thanks.

vermadas

One of the features of RB3 I was looking forward to is the ability to filter music in the quick play song list based on a user rating. I wanted to be able to only show songs 3 stars or above, or 4 stars or above, etc... I spent an hour or so going through my music and giving each song a "review" as the game calls it.

After finishing, I went to see the results. But there actually is no option to filter by review. You can filter by rating but that's only to determine if a song is "family friendly" or not. You can only sort by review; that puts all the 5 star songs at the top, then 4 star songs, etc... and sorts within by song title. That is not really what i wanted.

There are several songs in my library that I might want to have available when playing solo, but when playing with my wife or with a party I don't want them to show up at all. Is there any way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

Amneisac

Well, I picked up Lego Rock Band cheap, going to get everything all ready to import Lego Rock Band, RB1 and RB2 before I get RB3 so I'll have as many songs as possible before I start playing.

Pretty good times. I haven't really cared about / played a music game since Beatles RB.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gowans007 said:
Rockband.com are out of Lego Rockband content migration codes???

What?!?! I just picked this up to get ready for RB3 GRRR!!
I'm so confused by this. What games can I get to add songs to RB3? I've already done RB2 and a friend is bringing over his RB1 disc so set there. I know the list from HMX but are some of them not migratable anymore?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
AstroLad said:
I'm so confused by this. What games can I get to add songs to RB3? I've already done RB2 and a friend is bringing over his RB1 disc so set there. I know the list from HMX but are some of them not migratable anymore?

Green Day
Lego
Track Packs (AC/DC, Country etc.)

They should not run out of codes, that's crazy silly.

bounchfx

Finished Medium Pro keys yesterday and a handful of Hard ones. Definitely come quite a long way since... tuesday. lol. Looking forward to rocking through hard mode. The 3 note chords are the tough ones.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
McBradders said:
Green Day
Lego
Track Packs (AC/DC, Country etc.)

They should not run out of codes, that's crazy silly.
Thanks, but what is the implication of them running out of codes? Just have to wait a day or two for them to get new ones?

Also does anyone have the link to the chart showing all the song compatibility? Found it via google but can't seem to track it down atm.

bounchfx said:
Finished Medium Pro keys yesterday and a handful of Hard ones. Definitely come quite a long way since... tuesday. lol. Looking forward to rocking through hard mode. The 3 note chords are the tough ones.
i'm doing okay with three note chords, but four note chords are the ones my hand isn't ready for.

Power of Love seems like a decent song to get used to them on... you might find the same for three note chords. lots of chords but not super rapid chord changes. makes them easier to read as they approach.

Gowans

ARGGG!!!

I just tried to re-enter my code to try again after I got the ran out of code message and now it says my code has already been redeemed!!! :(

Now I need to mail support I guess :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So i'm downloading the Lego export now. I can only do the RB2 export from within RB3 right?

Is it worth getting RB1 for the setlist? And what restrictions are there? Eg do you need an original or can you borrow one? (just that I'm in the UK but would need to get a US disc)

Ricker

caliblue15 said:
don't you play the keyboard part, but using the guitar?

Umm,I didn`t notice if I had the keyboard option...I only have the guitar for now...I think it counted doing it on bass anyway,just felt strange that if you don`t go into detail and it plays all the 12 songs in a row,it tells you at first that one song will not be eligible for the goal hehe,minor grip I guess...

Woot! Picked up my Copy and Keyboard today... 360 version. I got my Rockband 2 Export downloaded and the three doors songs.

This game is awesome.

mrklaw said:
So i'm downloading the Lego export now. I can only do the RB2 export from within RB3 right?

Is it worth getting RB1 for the setlist? And what restrictions are there? Eg do you need an original or can you borrow one? (just that I'm in the UK but would need to get a US disc)
I definitely think it's worth getting the RB1 songs. They are only $5 too iirc. With RB1 you can export the songs on as many consoles as you want. There is an option in the main menu where you can just choose export songs, pay the price and you're done.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
AstroLad said:
thanks

so...can i buy lrb (new) or do i have to worry about this export key thing? jumped in late here

You need LRB for the code. If I'm remembering correctly you enter the LRB code in to the website and that gives you a code to download the songs again for use in other Rockband titles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AndyMoogle said:
I definitely think it's worth getting the RB1 songs. They are only $5 too iirc. With RB1 you can export the songs as many times as you want. There is an option in the main menu where you can just choose export songs, pay the price and you're done.
Cheers. So, next question - who has a RB1 they,ll lend me (and ship to the UK)? I have a Lego rock band I can send out, and should have a spare code for that when tech support get back to me.

Chairhome

McBradders said:
You need LRB for the code. If I'm remembering correctly you enter the LRB code in to the website and that gives you a code to download the songs again for use in other Rockband titles.
I'm confused, do you need the LRB disc (360 version) to export? Cause mine is scractched, but I have the code...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
McBradders said:
ok thanks. just picked up that and ac/dc. green day is waaay too expensive and not as good anyway :p

Raistlin

AstroLad said:
ok thanks. just picked up that and ac/dc. green day is waaay too expensive and not as good anyway :p

To be fair, RB:Green Day contains 47 songs. Disregarding subjective song quality, it should cost more.

KaYotiX

Banned
Chairhome said:
I'm confused, do you need the LRB disc (360 version) to export? Cause mine is scractched, but I have the code...

dont need the disc, the code just lets you download the LRB pack online, also have to pay 800 pts

Gowans

McBradders said:
Yeap thats how it's ment to work :(

Raistlin

AstroLad said:
why would i want to disregard subjective quality

You personally wouldn't want to.

I took your 'waaay too expensive' as implying the game isn't a good value. Based on the amount of content, the value seems fine. Obviously if you don't like the band you shouldn't buy it - though that begs the question why you bothered bringing it up.

Whatever ... nothing to see here.

Chairhome

KaYotiX said:
dont need the disc, the code just lets you download the LRB pack online, also have to pay 800 pts
yay, thanks! I was confused cause I saw a youtube video on exporting that says you go into LRB to access the export download. So I just need to input the code I have into the rockband.com site, use that code on the RB3 store to download the songs, right? Sorry, I'm pretty sure this has been answered already. :-(

UltimaPooh said:
Woot! Picked up my Copy and Keyboard today... 360 version. I got my Rockband 2 Export downloaded and the three doors songs.

This game is awesome.
I would recommend getting the other Doors songs as well. "LA Woman" is godly to play with a group.

Wow, they let you change difficulty but not instruments between songs? WTH, Guitar Hero lets you do that on the fly. So if I pick, I dunno one of the several hundred songs I have that aren't keyboard compatible in a setlist the keyboardist has to sit there? Why not let them switch to playing the guitar or bass part between songs or even better (and this is what I'd expected it to be) let them choose it ahead of time and it automatically switches. Really let down by this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Raistlin said:
You personally wouldn't want to.

I took your 'waaay too expensive' as implying the game isn't a good value. Based on the amount of content, the value seems fine. Obviously if you don't like the band you shouldn't buy it - though that begs the question why you bothered bringing it up.

Whatever ... nothing to see here.
Oh no, sorry I meant that the Green Day one doesn't even seem to have any good sales going, unlike the other ones which I found for dirt-cheap.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Chairhome said:
yay, thanks! I was confused cause I saw a youtube video on exporting that says you go into LRB to access the export download. So I just need to input the code I have into the rockband.com site, use that code on the RB3 store to download the songs, right? Sorry, I'm pretty sure this has been answered already. :-(
Unless it's different on the PS3, you DO need the disc. The redemption code you get from the site only lets you download the license file. Then, you need to boot up LRB and export the songs from the music store menu. You can't access this download anywhere else.

Hige

2&2 said:
What do you mean? Does it last longer?
There's overdrive note sections where the note highway has a slight glow on either side. If you hit all the notes correctly you get 1/2 a bar of overdrive instead of the usual 1/4.

2&2 said:
What do you mean? Does it last longer?
There are pockets where nailing the OD notes gives you a half bar instead of quarter bar, which results in more OD through the entire song. It is basically the unison bonuses from band play, but in single player.

Looks above. Fuck, beaten by moments. :lol

Chairhome

vatstep said:
Unless it's different on the PS3, you DO need the disc. The redemption code you get from the site only lets you download the license file. Then, you need to boot up LRB and export the songs from the music store menu. You can't access this download anywhere else.
That's where my confusion is coming in. Can anyone confirm doing an LRB export with the code but sans disc? Thanks.

so have we figured out definitively what the new note sections do on guitar (the ones with the colored-in lanes around them)? I've only run into them once. Are they only on new songs?

Raistlin

AstroLad said:
Oh no, sorry I meant that the Green Day one doesn't even seem to have any good sales going, unlike the other ones which I found for dirt-cheap.

oh :lol

Yeah, that's true. I went on an Amazon binge last night:

Rockband 2 ------ $23.43
RB: Lego --------- $16.98
RB: AC/DC ------ $0.99 ($7.99 S/H)

RB:Green Day --- $37.99

Costs a bit more, but worth it to me. It was released 4 and a half months ago (June 8, 2010) ... so it actually isn't that bad of a price.

Chairhome said:
That's where my confusion is coming in. Can anyone confirm doing an LRB export with the code but sans disc? Thanks.

IIRC you do need the disc, it's where you put in your export code to get to the LRB download pack.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
robut said:
Wow, they let you change difficulty but not instruments between songs? WTH, Guitar Hero lets you do that on the fly. So if I pick, I dunno one of the several hundred songs I have that aren't keyboard compatible in a setlist the keyboardist has to sit there? Why not let them switch to playing the guitar or bass part between songs or even better (and this is what I'd expected it to be) let them choose it ahead of time and it automatically switches. Really let down by this.

Hit Start, Drop Out, get on another instrument. Fixed.

This even works on keyboard so that when you drop out on a song that has no keys it will ask you what you want to play again (guitar / bass / keys)

EDIT : The only problem you have is that you have to restart the song if you want your score saved, but that is pretty much a given.

vg260

Hige said:
There's overdrive note sections where the note highway has a slight glow on either side. If you hit all the notes correctly you get 1/2 a bar of overdrive instead of the usual 1/4.

Hm, didn't notice that. The rub is if you go into a tough stretch ready with a full bar, more penalty in RB3 is gonna mean it's easier to fail than RB2. That's what was killing me in Wasted Years. I always stock a full bar leading into the solo because it's so brutal. It's seriously the difference between a 5-star and a fail for me. I dunno. I think I prefer smaller overdrive building, but less penalty in RB2, because I stock the heck up for fail-possible sections. Some songs I just want to play the whole thing for fun and pass and have it register as being legit. I really don't like that they changed it. It wasn't broken, so there was no need to fix it.

There are actually a lot of little thing I like in RB2 better. RB3 so far is bittersweet. Really silly, but I loved the RB2 woosh sound effect at the end of a completed track when the highway disappeared. It was bass-y and sounded awesome. It felt Rock Band-y. The new one sounds weak. Seems like another thing they changed for the sake of change only. I also like the RB2 highway look and a lot of the UI elements in RB2 better. Oh well. Definitely will keep RB2 around. Too bad any new DLC won't work in RB2.

rpgfan16k

Ok.

So I have RB2, Beatles and RB1 for my 360. I have guitars and a mic, but no drums (long story). I want RB3, the keyboard, and drums (obviously). What exactly are my options here? The stores around me have the game and keyboard sold separately (NOT bundles), but no drums outside old RB and RB2 bundles.

What exactly are my options here?

rpgfan16k said:
Ok.

So I have RB2, Beatles and RB1 for my 360. I have guitars and a mic, but no drums (long story). I want RB3, the keyboard, and drums (obviously). What exactly are my options here? The stores around me have the game and keyboard sold separately (NOT bundles), but no drums outside old RB and RB2 bundles.

Online is probably your best bet. (Amazon, Best Buy, other chains, etc...)

Slacker

Cruising right along in expert/pro drum mode. Man some songs that were great before are just that much better in pro mode. Boston and Rush especially are awesome. Again I'm SlackerCS on PSN if anyone wants to compare scores (I have a few numbers ones out there at the moment, though I'm sure that'll change fast as more people are playing).

Of course, some are messed up for me now. I used to nail Science Genius Girl in RB2 - now I guess because they have the cymbals it doesn't make the yellow pad the snare any more. When I got to the chorus last night I crashed and burned for the first time in a long long time. The sequence was totally different and I could never wrap my head around it - even playing in free mode after the crash. I guess that's part of the fun of relearning some old songs in the new game.

Picked up Lego RB at lunch too. My kids are going to explode when they see they can play that damn "Life is a Highway" song from Cars. The only downside is apparently I have to load up Lego RB to export its songs, so I'll have to fight with them to go back to RB3. Young gaffers: Enjoy your solo gaming time while you can. :D

Any word on account linking on rockband.com? Looking forward to seeing how that works.

ultron87

rpgfan16k said:
Ok.

I went to a Best Buy and got the Keyboard and Game packaged separately for 140 + $15 gift card. So that's a net of $125. As for Drums you might just have to go online, or find a marked down Rock Band 2 set and just get the extra guitar for the hell of it. Because Standalone drums are like $130 and I think I remember seeing a full Rock Band 2 bundle at that same Best Buy for $140. But then you'd need to get cymbals if you wanna do Pro Drums, so I dunno.

I really just need 1 new guitar. But apparently standalone guitars are stupidly pricey. It's a shame I don't have a PS3, because Amazon has tons of cheap PS3 guitars (like a GH3 wireless for $23) but none for the 360.

Sp3eD said:
Hit Start, Drop Out, get on another instrument. Fixed.

This even works on keyboard so that when you drop out on a song that has no keys it will ask you what you want to play again (guitar / bass / keys)

EDIT : The only problem you have is that you have to restart the song if you want your score saved, but that is pretty much a given.

Cool, thanks. Would have been WAY better if they'd just let you choose which one to default to, considering the vast majority of songs don's support keys.

Top Bottom