• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Shaneus

Stackboy said:
RB2? I think I got it for $60 on 365games.co.uk. Or the export pack? 800 points.

I've been looking for the new Ausgaf thread for ages!!
RB3, actually :)

And yeah, it's been moved to online.

Ridley327

jett said:
I agree that from the videos I've seen the keyboard is woefully underutilized. What's supposed to be the hardest song on keys in RB3?
The hardest is Roundabout, although Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting and Antibodies are some rough songs, too.

PhoncipleBone said:
Perhaps once you link up the game with the site. I too want a picture of my band: Olivia & The Observers!
Is there a shorthand term for this feature? I need it for my google-searches and ranting.

EDIT - also, recommendations on the cheapest way to get a decent non-pro guitar for the PS3? My RB2 strat is dying a slow, infuriating death.

bounchfx

this game warms us up for keyboard.. don't worry guys. there will be more.

I mean, come on. compare the hardest songs in GH to GH2. It's not even close. Bark at the moon is 4th tier GH2 stuff.

Raistlin

jett said:
I agree that from the videos I've seen the keyboard is woefully underutilized.

Even if that's the case for RB3 proper, things will be changing with DLC quite soon.

Lennon's Imagine album is the first RB3 album release, and the Billy Joel track pack will be epic. :D

Hige

Is there a way to get quickplay back to RB2 style where everyone takes turns picking a song? Quickplay is such a clusterfuck right now with everyone being able to choose songs at the same time and making an annoying 10 song setlist where people just quit after 2 songs. :(

Keys players are dead weight right now since most of them suck too. I didn't get to record a score for a long song that I was doing well on since the keys player failed 3 times and we lost at ~95% song completion.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World is kicking my ass on expert drums every damn time. Good song, but no fun to play on drums even though it should be simple. I can't wrap my head around that occasional third hi-hat beat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hige said:
Is there a way to get quickplay back to RB2 style where everyone takes turns picking a song? Quickplay is such a clusterfuck right now with everyone being able to choose songs at the same time and making an annoying 10 song setlist where people just quit after 2 songs. :(

Keys players are dead weight right now since most of them suck too. I didn't get to record a score for a long song that I was doing well on since the keys player failed 3 times and we lost at ~95% song completion.

They should just limit the songs to 1 per person or something. That way everyone suffers equally. :lol

Got RB3 then halfway through my third song the red button on my guitar started to fail and now it doesn't work at all :-( Time for a new guitar... Kinda sucks because the money I was going to use on the keyboard is gonna buy the guitar now.

ahh, Freebird, my old foe. We meet again. You bested me in the days of GH2...but I've had 3 years of plastic guitar experience since then.

Let's rock. (c) Al Bundee

*fails song*

I can play a decent amount of stuff on expert guitar and bass, but tonight I decided to say "fuck it" and try some of the devil horns stuff on expert. I had no idea I had gotten to the point that I could survive most devil horns songs. I gold starred "25 or 6 to 4" on bass tonight, and five starred "Crazy Train" and many other top tier songs on bass. WTF. And, only because of no fail in the intro, I four starred "Roundabout" on expert bass. That opening bass part kills me, but the rest of the song is a cake walk after that. I would have failed a lil in, but never after that. At least I am being more adventurous.

soul creator said:
ahh, Freebird, my old foe. We meet again. You bested me in the days of GH2...but I've had 3 years of plastic guitar experience since then.

Let's rock. (c) Al Bundee

*fails song*
I think it is slightly harder now actually. Of course, I am trying it on hard because I am not THAT adventurous yet. But it does seem a bit harder than the GH2 version, and I am fine with that.

And will scores show up on Rockband.com if you arent linked yet? I posted a lot of high scores tonight, like top 20 stuff, and it doesn't show. How long of a delay?

And when can I link my info? I have done so many of the career goals, I want to see where I stand. I know I am ahead only because I got the game early, but it feels good to be near the top of the leaderboards for only a day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
I think it is slightly harder now actually. Of course, I am trying it on hard because I am not THAT adventurous yet. But it does seem a bit harder than the GH2 version, and I am fine with that.

It's funny, I could beat Free Bird on Expert ages ago but I can't even make it a minute into the solo now. My hands have atrophied. :(

firehawk12 said:
It's funny, I could beat Free Bird on Expert ages ago but I can't even make it a minute into the solo now. My hands have atrophied. :(
At least now there is something to play during the bridge between the last verse and the solo. Before when he sang "I cant change!" there was nothing, not at least there is something to play.

Memles

The Pro Keys definitely take some getting used to - I used to play piano as a kid, so every now and then I shock myself by magically moving my hand to the proper position, but you need to LEARN how to play more than with the plastic guitar issue. I was playing something very simple ("Oh My God," I believe), but it took me all sorts of tries to get the chord progression down (On Expert).

Moving my way up, but hit a few walls where the chords just get too crazy for later at night.

vg260

Is it just my imagination or RB3 a bit harder than RB2 for a given song? i.e do you lose more meter for missing notes?

I've been playing Wasted Years, and with full overdrive going into the solo, I can usually squeak it out pretty consistently, but I've been failing out like a maniac on the solo tonight. Maybe the calibration's off, but I swear it's a little tougher on misses.

Memles said:
The Pro Keys definitely take some getting used to - I used to play piano as a kid, so every now and then I shock myself by magically moving my hand to the proper position, but you need to LEARN how to play more than with the plastic guitar issue. I was playing something very simple ("Oh My God," I believe), but it took me all sorts of tries to get the chord progression down (On Expert).

Moving my way up, but hit a few walls where the chords just get too crazy for later at night.
Yeah, the keys are my next hurdle. It will be a while before I get a pro guitar controller, so the pro keys are what I am going to punish myself with. I tried regular keys for a few songs, but thought to just jump to pro just for a goof. So much more frustrating and satisfying at the same time.

Drums took forever to learn, but now I can five star nearly everything on hard pro (except "Dont Fear the Reaper" and "Detroit Rock City." Those beats just kill me), and gold star quite a bit on expert pro drums. And I am white and have no rhythm.

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:

Yes it is indeed harder, in Expert Anyways.
Still 5 starred it on my first go though :p

Pancho said:
Yes it is indeed harder, in Expert Anyways.
Still 5 starred it on my first go though :p
I hate you. :D I am not dumb enough to try expert. Perhaps in a few months I will work up the courage. After all, I realized tonight I am prepared for expert bass on top tier songs. Songs like "Freebird" dont give me much trouble, but songs with rapid chord progression just kill me. The middle section of "Light My Fire" made me want to cry.

Hige

2&2 said:
Is it just my imagination or RB3 a bit harder than RB2 for a given song? i.e do you lose more meter for missing notes?

I've been playing Wasted Years, and with full overdrive going into the solo, I can usually squeak it out pretty consistently, but I've been failing out like a maniac on the solo tonight. Maybe the calibration's off, but I swear it's a little tougher on misses.
I thought I was imagining things too, but it does feel like you're penalized more for misses and it's harder to recover unless you're using overdrive. Either they tweaked the meter or it's just me not being used to all the new songs (on drums) and trying out keys etc.

Hige said:
I thought I was imagining things too, but it does feel like you're penalized more for misses and it's harder to recover unless you're using overdrive. Either they tweaked the meter or it's just me not being used to all the new songs and trying out keys etc.
Combination of both I think. And keys are the most unforgiving of the instruments as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
And I do love having more overdrive. Makes it easier to gold star stuff, which makes me feel better about my skills in the game.

Too bad they don't give vocalists the extra boosts. Or at least I've never noticed them.

I'm giving up on expert guitar now, so I don't think I'll ever see a gold star again. If only they carried over RB1/RB2 leaderboards... then at least I could re-live my past glory. :lol

Hige

PhoncipleBone said:
And I do love having more overdrive. Makes it easier to gold star stuff, which makes me feel better about my skills in the game.
I was wondering about that. I seem to be gold starring stuff more than I used to. Did they not change the scoring system for pre-RB3 songs and now it's easier to gold star? I'm wondering if things like band multipliers are counted for your solo score or not. Cause I once got solo gold stars during a band quickplay even though I had full overdrive at the end of the song. Usually you don't get gold stars unless you use every last bit of overdrive at specific points.

Chris R

Ok so my stance on the game is much improved after today's play session. Still bumbed about no score duel but whatever :/ Playing keys on guitar makes up for some of that pain. Going to get the actual keys this weekend I think.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Saw a few people asking about those Wireless Lips controllers...

Well, I got a couple (plus Lips) in that Amazon deal awhile back and they had terrible lag with Rock Band 2.

I was playing Rock Band 3 tonight and can confirm there is still some lag in what you hear coming out of the stereo. It may not affect your singing (I still got a 99% on one song, hard) but there is a lag.

It's definitely NOT as bad as it was in Rock Band 2 (unplayable imo.)

It sucks because these mics work perfectly with Lips, so you know they are functional.

Switched to my wired mic just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, no lag at all with that one.

Besides that though, the game is awesome. So glad I got the extra Doors tunes. I hope I can get the GS ones as well, hopefully the info comes with my GS.com copy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Omg, two crashes so far.

1) When you select All Instruments Mode and you finish a song. Let's say you don't want to play All Instruments anymore and you deselect it...you play another song and it will turn off the PS3 near the beginning of the song.

2) It froze on a cutscene where my band mates are carrying down a sofa.

What.

Oh, and I managed to pass Free Bird on my first try on Expert guitar. 4 stars only, though. I know I can five star it! It's just that I haven't adjusted to this ugly highway 100% right now.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
bathala said:
if I rent rockband 1 and 2 from gamefly. I can't export songs from them since it needs a code from the manual?
You don't need the manual code for Rock Band 1, so you can rent it from Gamefly, put the disc in, rip all of the songs, pay the $5 export key and you're all set. Rock Band 2 does require the code from the manual though, so you may be out of luck there.

bathala

Banned
Rewrite said:
You don't need the manual code for Rock Band 1, so you can rent it from Gamefly, put the disc in, rip all of the songs, pay the $5 export key and you're all set. Rock Band 2 does require the code from the manual though, so you may be out of luck there.
k thanks
I'm just going to buy RB2 with guitar then

Gowans

Rockband.com are out of Lego Rockband content migration codes???

What?!?! I just picked this up to get ready for RB3 GRRR!!

Gowans007 said:
Rockband.com are out of Lego Rockband content migration codes???

What?!?! I just picked this up to get ready for RB3 GRRR!!
They should just update LRB and RB2 so that you can migrate the songs like in RB1. It's not like they have lots of people wanting to buy those game at this point. Big deal if people just rent it and export the songs.

EDIT: Can people outside of America export the RB2 songs yet?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AndyMoogle said:
They should just update LRB and RB2 so that you can migrate the songs like in RB1. It's not like they have lots of people wanting to buy those game at this point. Big deal if people just rent it and export the songs.

Given that the music industry is very, very uptight about piracy, I'm sure this is the only way to appease them.

firehawk12 said:
Given that the music industry is very, very uptight about piracy, I'm sure this is the only way to appease them.
Yup. And what is wrong with the codes contained in new copies of the games? Used copies I understand, but why wouldnt the codes in sealed copies work?

firehawk12 said:
I don't see how that makes sense. You still have to pay to export the songs.

EDIT: I just have to say that the RB3 music store is so awesome compared to the slow mess that was in RB2.

Raistlin

Hige said:

Pardon me for my ignorance (haven't played RB since 1, at least not online), but is there a mode where you can do 'private' jams? ie. invite specific people online?

If so, I'd argue the best of both worlds would be to use the current method for the private jams, and the RB2 method for quickplay with strangers?

Ricker

Why did they stick Imagine,in the beginner set list goals for 3 stars on guitar and there is no guitar to use in the song :lol ...played it on Bass,not sure if it worked for the goal though.

Loving the songs so far,even those I never heard before are awesome :lol

Hige

Raistlin said:
Pardon me for my ignorance (haven't played RB since 1, at least not online), but is there a mode where you can do 'private' jams? ie. invite specific people online?

If so, I'd argue the best of both worlds would be to use the current method for the private jams, and the RB2 method for quickplay with strangers?
Well, you can invite friends to play without strangers if that's what you mean. I don't have a lot of online friends that play Rock Band and it's rare to get my local friends to play in person, so I have to resort to quickplay with strangers if I want my multiplayer fix.

The problem is that RB3 allows for a free-for-all when choosing (seemingly unlimited) songs, yet only one person can confirm the setlist and move on to selecting instrument/difficulty. This is different from RB2 where players take turns being "leader." One player selects a song and moves everyone to the difficulty screen and, after completion, a different player gets to choose the next song and so on. An added benefit of this is that you can select your difficulty before each song.

With the RB3 system I keep ending up in games with everyone choosing songs at once and the leader finalizing the setlist when it's already 8~10 songs deep. This has been frustrating for a number of reasons. Players quitting early for one, but not being able to choose a different difficulty for each song is a nuisance. Yes, I know there is the pop-up menu to change difficulty, but I imagine it's only truly practical to switch difficulty at the results screen since the game doesn't record a score if you switch during a song. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think they show what song is next in the setlist either, so even switching difficulty at the results screen would be fruitless.

I'm just not impressed with RB3's quickplay, as much as I love all the positive changes to the game. Seeing your solo instrument score in band play and all the star/% records being kept no matter what mode you play is amazing. :D

fisheyes

I would like to know who's bright idea it was to list every single RBN song in the 360 Library even in the PAL versions that aren't actually able to buy these songs. It both torments me and clutters up my screen, its stupid.

Top Bottom