• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Varna said:
Good portion of their songs have a keyboard and they have a lot of well known songs. Industrial Disease, One World... almost everything from Making Movies got a lot of air time. Plenty of options. I really just think the guitar sucks for that song. So many chord fest in RB3.
But for keyboard it's the perfect song, because not only does everybody and their mother know the song, but everybody and their mother clearly remembers the keyboard part. A lot of songs the keyboard fades into the background or blends with the guitars, but Walk of Life is one of those rare songs that has a fun catchy ditty for the keyboard.

Varna

Dreamwriter said:
But for keyboard it's the perfect song, because not only does everybody and their mother know the song, but everybody and their mother clearly remembers the keyboard part. A lot of songs the keyboard fades into the background or blends with the guitars, but Walk of Life is one of those rare songs that has a fun catchy ditty for the keyboard.

I see your point. Still, Telegraph Road would have been such an epic finale.

Slight issue I'm having (PS3 version). Randomly, the games frame-rate will just take a nose dive into the single digits for a few seconds. Nothing fancy or extra being rendered... it just happens. Any experience anything similar?

PhoncipleBone said:
eventually.

(goes off to sulk in corner with his #1 postings on bass scores on random DLC, knowing they wont last for very long)

haha, yeah it didn't hit me until just now that they seem to literally have individual leaderboards for every single song and instrument.

and the only person ranked
in Kiss Them For Me Pro Drums bitches!

Memles

Re: Dire Straits.

I hadn't really been paying attention to the setlist, and so I've had numerous moments where I realize I recognize the songs. "Walk of Life" was one of those moments. I was "Woohooing" in no time.

Hige

Varna said:
Slight issue I'm having (PS3 version). Randomly, the games frame-rate will just take a nose dive into the single digits for a few seconds. Nothing fancy or extra being rendered... it just happens. Any experience anything similar?
Is the note highway affected by this? I've seen the same thing on 360, but I think it's just a special effect since my highway still goes the same speed.

Varna

Hige said:
Is the note highway affected by this? I've seen the same thing on 360, but I think it's just a special effect since my highway still goes the same speed.

It's not. Leads me to believe it's intentional... but it looks awful. It doesn't have the strobe light effect that other RB titles had along with it.

JMizzlin

The pedal from my B:RB kit broke the day before RB3 launched and all I'm left with now is my World Tour kit pedal. Is there anyway I can get this to work with my kit? Importing a new pedal will be quite hard and costly so I'd rather avoid having to do that.

Hige

Varna said:
It's not. Leads me to believe it's intentional... but it looks awful. It doesn't have the strobe light effect that other RB titles had along with it.
Yeah it's really distracting. I've only seen it a couple times, but the first time I saw it I thought something was glitching. :lol Who knows what they were thinking when they made that...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the situation with pro guitar tracks? Are all tracks on the disc pro compatible?

And can you buy a track as normal and then add 'pro' to it for 99c? I'm very curious about pro guitar but not jumping in yet. But I want to be able to buy DLC and not lock myself out of a pro option. But I don't want to pay full pro price in case I decide I don't like pro mode.

Lastly, any impressions of the mustang? It kind of looks half-assed, but it might be a good option for a 'never played a proper guitar' person like me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gary Whitta said:
Wow that sucks. One of the things I love about these games is the library building with each new release but if songs are gonna start slipping through the net each time that really takes the shine off.

Yeah, it's the music game equivalent of HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. I think most of the songs that didn't make it over were from bands that signed deals with Guitar Hero.

Alphahawk

So my teacher at school was talking about Rockband the other day, and said something to the extenet of "nowadays people are plugging in guitars, keytars drums everything to play Rockband" he stopped as no one laughed at his mention of keytars, which he assumed was a joke....

just thought I'd share with you...

Hige

mrklaw said:
What's the situation with pro guitar tracks? Are all tracks on the disc pro compatible?

And can you buy a track as normal and then add 'pro' to it for 99c? I'm very curious about pro guitar but not jumping in yet. But I want to be able to buy DLC and not lock myself out of a pro option. But I don't want to pay full pro price in case I decide I don't like pro mode.

Lastly, any impressions of the mustang? It kind of looks half-assed, but it might be a good option for a 'never played a proper guitar' person like me.
Looks like all on-disc songs support pro guitar/bass, except Imagine has no 5 button or pro chart on guitar.

I don't think they've announced whether you can upgrade regular DLC to pro for 99c yet. :( I thought the same thing you did. I don't want to pay for pro DLC if I end up not liking it, but I don't want to double-dip just for pro mode if they don't allow for upgrading.

I decided to order a Mustang after seeing some pro guitar vids on youtube. Seems nicer than I expected. I was going to wait for the Squier, but I figure there's a chance it might get delayed further if I wait, from "early 2011" to spring/summer. Mustang will let me try out pro mode within the next month and it's cheaper than the Squier if I end up not liking it. So I guess it's worth it for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have there been any videos of people playing the guitar? IGN's the only place that I've seen where they showed someone play the guitar while playing the game.

Javaman

PhoncipleBone said:
eventually.

(goes off to sulk in corner with his #1 postings on bass scores on random DLC, knowing they wont last for very long)

I'm #1 on expert pro drums for one of the spongbob songs. :lol

Varna

Hige said:
Yeah it's really distracting. I've only seen it a couple times, but the first time I saw it I thought something was glitching. :lol Who knows what they were thinking when they made that...

Been watching some youtube videos... yup. Intentional. Not sure what the effect is suppose to represent.

firehawk12 said:
All new easy and medium charts use all five buttons now.
Which was really annoying to me at first. But because of that I'm pretty good with 4 buttons at Medium now. I'm getting there I guess...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if you had to choose, which would you go for first - pro guitar (mustang) or pro drums?

I have two GH2 guitars and the RB1 drums currently. Have already bought the keyboard.

Hige

Mailenstein said:
Is there actually a way to invite a friend from your friendlist to play together with?
It's in the pop-up menu somewhere. I think you press start>xbox live options>invite friend and then you can pick from your friend list.

RotBot

If I buy a used copy of Rock Band 3, will I still be able to import songs from the older Rock Band games I have import codes for? I would think so, but with EA doing their online pass crap, it's best to make sure.

jgkspsx

RotBot said:
If I buy a used copy of Rock Band 3, will I still be able to import songs from the older Rock Band games I have import codes for? I would think so, but with EA doing their online pass crap, it's best to make sure.
Importing should be no issue. IIRC there was no export code for RB3, so that may not even be a problem.

Now, what does the lack of a code mean? I don't know.

Don't know if anyone else bothered looking, but I have. Just checked RB and LRB to see if any songs from the RB2 export shows up... not a one.

Wonder if they'll bring out patches for those games to recognise the RB2 songs. I still like to throw in RB and LRB every so often and clear up on songs, especially if I get new DLC.

[/OCD]

vehn

So does it always take forever to find people to play with online? I'm using the ps3 and trying road challenge, I sit there for a few minutes plus until someone finally joins. Setlists just take forever for someone to pick songs

Ridley327

Monkeylord said:
Don't know if anyone else bothered looking, but I have. Just checked RB and LRB to see if any songs from the RB2 export shows up... not a one.

Wonder if they'll bring out patches for those games to recognise the RB2 songs. I still like to throw in RB and LRB every so often and clear up on songs, especially if I get new DLC.

[/OCD]
Since DLC support for those three are dead, I can't imagine them taking the time or effort to do so.

Ridley327 said:
Since DLC support for those three are dead, I can't imagine them taking the time or effort to do so.

All DLC (even RBN stuff) was showing up in RB1, and family friendly stuff was showing up in LRB, so DLC for those games are not dead.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
DLC starting with The Doors pack on isn't compatible with those games. Different file format or some such. So, yeah, it's dead.

aristotle

Why even bother trying to play old unsupported games with new DLC? If you have RB2 and export it, why would you want to play it in RB1 or LRB? Just play RB2 instead. It doesn't make any sense. They won't update those games just so you can play new tracks from RB2 (which aren't exactly DLC). There is no reason for it.

so I just finished "Stop Me If You Think You Heard This Before" on Pro Drums, and at the very end there was this weird section with the yellow and green cymbals, that looked a bit different from any other time I've drummed. I'm guessing it was supposed to be like a drum fill, but with just those two cymbals? Here's the actual end of the song I'm referring to.

Threw me off when I saw it :lol

aristotle said:
Why even bother trying to play old unsupported games with new DLC? If you have RB2 and export it, why would you want to play it in RB1 or LRB? Just play RB2 instead. It doesn't make any sense. They won't update those games just so you can play new tracks from RB2 (which aren't exactly DLC). There is no reason for it.

A friend of mine only has RB1, and would like to continue buying tracks that he can play. Also, I play LRB with my niece and nephew and the more variety and choice the better.

RB1 export works in LRB, so thought I'd have a look to see if that would be the case with RB2. It's not a big deal, I only thought I'd check on the off chance they'd work.

I'm not exactly bummed out by the whole thing, I've got all but Green Day, and have done all exports so it's not like I'M missing out. Why are you guys acting like I've complained!?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jgkspsx said:
Importing should be no issue. IIRC there was no export code for RB3, so that may not even be a problem.

Now, what does the lack of a code mean? I don't know.

There's a code on the manual, so that might be used for a RB4 if that ever happens.

DangerousDave said:
It seems that after playing 6 GH-RB games i should start learning to move the hand... :D

Mailenstein said:
Which was really annoying to me at first. But because of that I'm pretty good with 4 buttons at Medium now. I'm getting there I guess...
No Fail mode + scoring makes moving up a lot less pressure filled. I know the "hardcore" people hate it, but I think it's perfect for people who want to try to move up without hitting a fail wall all the time.

Raistlin

rohlfinator said:
Sounds like I should lean toward a real kit with mesh heads -- I played percussion through high school and I think I'd be disappointed with something that doesn't come pretty close to the authentic bounce feel.

I see that Roland has quite a few lower-end kits that at least have a mesh snare... even their cheapest one has all the pads necessary for RB, plus an extra cymbal and pedal compared to the Ion, and it's a pretty affordable $600. Or I could go with the TD-4SX which looks to be similar to the TD-9SX but with a cheaper sound module.

Hm, decisions... I'll have to check out that link.
Thanks, I appreciate the info! :)

No problem. If you go with the TD-4SX, try to find out if the sound module's MIDI output is Rockband compatible. I think you'll love the set, or something similar.

butter_stick said:
Harmonix are terrible when it comes to tiers. There's tier 0 keys songs I fail on, and tier 2 stuff I can nearly five star.

Many times that is based on specific techniques you may have already mastered. I suspect the tiering is based on averages.

For example certain 'easy' songs may have a bass pedal rhythm that I just don't 'get'.

Raistlin

firehawk12 said:
Anyone know if a cheap place to buy Rock Band 2/Beatles Rock Band guitars/kits? I'm looking to replace my RB1 kits.

I'd check black Friday and beyond. I remember some pretty good Beatle's deals last year. Should have jumped on it, but I was all spent at that point. Couldn't justify it.

Raistlin

Gary Whitta said:
Wow that sucks. One of the things I love about these games is the library building with each new release but if songs are gonna start slipping through the net each time that really takes the shine off.

DLC will never go away. The licensing for it was specific.

It seems that the disc-based games is where the occasional issue happens.

Raistlin said:
DLC will never go away. The licensing for it was specific.

It seems that the disc-based games is where the occasional issue happens.
There's a bunch of DLC songs missing on both platforms, and no statement from HMX on the matter.

The Doop

Is there no competitive multiplayer anymore? Am I missing something? That was my favorite feature in previous RB games. I know you can play online with others, but I'm not seeing any option for some head to head games.

firehawk12 said:
No Fail mode + scoring makes moving up a lot less pressure filled. I know the "hardcore" people hate it, but I think it's perfect for people who want to try to move up without hitting a fail wall all the time.
I kinda feel comfortable being forced to learn it. Guess I was just too lazy with GH lol. Medium on RB3 is getting pretty easy to me now. Gonna check out the next level I think :).
Thanks for your advice tho!

I got thaught how to invite friends by a friend of mine earlier before. I feel so stupid now...

aristotle

Monkeylord said:
A friend of mine only has RB1, and would like to continue buying tracks that he can play. Also, I play LRB with my niece and nephew and the more variety and choice the better.

RB1 export works in LRB, so thought I'd have a look to see if that would be the case with RB2. It's not a big deal, I only thought I'd check on the off chance they'd work.

I'm not exactly bummed out by the whole thing, I've got all but Green Day, and have done all exports so it's not like I'M missing out. Why are you guys acting like I've complained!?

Becuase it kind of sounded like you were complaining. RB2 is under 20 bucks at most places. Your friend should upgrade ;). RB1 works in LRB because it came out before it. You can upgrade, but not downgrade. Think of it like the call of duty series. You can't buy/download call of duty dlc for mw2 and think it'll work on mw1. DLC has never ever worked that way for any game. You can go up, but not down.

Top Bottom