• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

The Doop

Well that stinks. :( I'm guessing the reason being is there would be too many multiplayer categories and not enough players to fill them. Still sucks though and pretty much killed any replayability for me since I'm not into sinking loads of cash into dlc.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Is there a way to choose that every song has the Music Video background? Its by far my favorite.
Not that I know of, but I know in full band mode it is nearly always music video background. At least for me it was the other day.

Chris R

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Is there a way to choose that every song has the Music Video background? Its by far my favorite.
Set the game to all instrument mode and it will be a music video every single time.

Still pissed about the removal of score duels (hoping they could patch it in at some point down the line :( ) but other than that the game just keeps getting better. Another minor gripe I had last night was when I got 5 goals done after a song last night. It just showed 5 goals, nothing about which 5 they were. Also about those after song goals, I'd love to be able to actually see what they are describing in the case when they aren't 100% clear (I mean I know what 500 bass note streak means, but some of them are somewhat cryptic).

rhfb said:
Set the game to all instrument mode and it will be a music video every single time.

Still pissed about the removal of score duels (hoping they could patch it in at some point down the line :( ) but other than that the game just keeps getting better. Another minor gripe I had last night was when I got 5 goals done after a song last night. It just showed 5 goals, nothing about which 5 they were. Also about those after song goals, I'd love to be able to actually see what they are describing in the case when they aren't 100% clear (I mean I know what 500 bass note streak means, but some of them are somewhat cryptic).
When it shows your score and lets you rate the song, scroll down. It will show which awards won before it gives you a section by section breakdown of the song.

vg260

Is anyone else feeling pretty "meh" about the game now? I'm pretty bummed out by the difficulty change with respect to the rock meter/overdrive. I'm failing out more and it's killing the fun.

parasight

parasight said:
Any friendly GAFer wanna help me out? My bundle's been delayed to next week so I won't be able to take advantage of the free Doors pack. I've been calling Rogers Plus stores in attempt to rent it, but they don't have it either. I need someone I can trust to login to my GT and get them into my Download History so I can get the free pack. PM me if you'd like to help.

Anyone?

aristotle

2&2 said:
Is anyone else feeling pretty "meh" about the game now? I'm pretty bummed out by the difficulty change with respect to the rock meter/overdrive. I'm failing out more and it's killing the fun.

From the looks of things, it's seems to be just you in here. Most everyone else likes it. This may sound trollish, but it's not: if you're failing, get better. The learning curve is upped in this iteration. It's easier to fail in RB3 than the other games. OD paths were changed in RB3 because in RB 1 & 2, when you played with a band and got a unison bonus, you got a larger amount of OD. They changed it in RB3 to make it fair to solo only players for the leaderboards.

koam

PhoncipleBone said:
They dont get the bonus OD like instruments do. And it is a lil harder to activate. Although sometimes I have accidentally triggered it.

I scream, I yell, I speak softly, I have a much harder time activating it versus the past RB games. Sometimes, it won't even register. I know it's not my mic is because it works perfectly in RB2.

butter_stick said:
I wish there was a way to totally disable music videos. I like seeing my band in a real arena. The music videos are just kinda blah now.
The music videos are tons of fun, but I will say that when they show up ALL the time in full band mode it does get old. Once in a while it was always fun, but not when it is the ONLY thing that is shown. Still wish we could get a venue selection screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AlexMogil said:
Dangit, the site just ate my Lego code. I hope they can clear this up.
Are they accepting LRB codes yet or do we just have to continue to wait? I haven't entered mine yet, just waiting for confirmation.

btrboyev

I haven't read the entire thread here, but I just have to point out that this game has the worst included set list of any music game yet....I'm not sure what they were thinking on a lot of these songs.

I love big country though.

aristotle said:
Becuase it kind of sounded like you were complaining. RB2 is under 20 bucks at most places. Your friend should upgrade ;). RB1 works in LRB because it came out before it. You can upgrade, but not downgrade. Think of it like the call of duty series. You can't buy/download call of duty dlc for mw2 and think it'll work on mw1. DLC has never ever worked that way for any game. You can go up, but not down.

Quite how saying "I checked, and they don't show, just a heads up" is anything like complaining, I don't know.

Also, RB2 has only just gone down in price here, and it's only gone down to £29.99 ($49USD). I'm sure he'll get it eventually.

vg260

aristotle said:
From the looks of things, it's seems to be just you in here. Most everyone else likes it. This may sound trollish, but it's not: if you're failing, get better. The learning curve is upped in this iteration. It's easier to fail in RB3 than the other games. OD paths were changed in RB3 because in RB 1 & 2, when you played with a band and got a unison bonus, you got a larger amount of OD. They changed it in RB3 to make it fair to solo only players for the leaderboards.

There plenty of people not pleased with the difficulty change. Mostly because people are failing the songs they were able to pass in RB2. It not a question of getting better. Maybe they've gotten the best they can and wherever that point is, it puts them in a spot where they fail the same songs they were previously passing. That's a big buzz-kill. They changed the solo game mechanic with the idea of making it fair for scoreboard junkies and it actually hurts a lot of solo players in the long run. It make solos way easier to fail you out almost instantly with little chance of working your way out of a hole.

DJ_Tet

Banned
btrboyev said:
I haven't read the entire thread here, but I just have to point out that this game has the worst included set list of any music game yet....I'm not sure what they were thinking on a lot of these songs.

You can point it out but it's a matter of opinion (and one that I don't agree with.) I don't know about 'to play' but RB3 has a lot more songs that I enjoy listening to than either of the two main RB discs so far.

But again it's just my opinion.

btrboyev said:

The 90s+ stuff was bad, with a few good songs thrown in. The 60s to 80s playlist though was probably the best on disc set yet in my opinion. I think they did a great job of covering all difficulties and genres on this game.

2&2 said:
There plenty of people not pleased with the difficulty change. Mostly because people are failing the songs they were able to pass in RB2. It not a question of getting better. Maybe they've gotten the best they can and wherever that point is, it puts them in a spot where they fail the same songs they were previously passing. That's a big buzz-kill. They changed the solo game mechanic with the idea of making it fair for scoreboard junkies and it actually hurts a lot of solo players in the long run. It make solos way easier to fail you out almost instantly with little chance of working your way out of a hole.
Sorry, I think you are in the minority on this. It is a lil less forgiving than before, but the timing windows are still the same. Just turn on no fail and have fun with it. Problem solved.

Yeef

When they first announced the setlist I didn't really recognize a lot of the songs. I haven't played every song yet, but from what I've played so far (probably about 3/4 of the setlist) I have yet to find any songs that I've hated. There are a handful of songs that are just sort of "bleh" but even those ones are fun on at least one instrument. There's also a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before that I like.

aristotle

Monkeylord said:
Quite how saying "I checked, and they don't show, just a heads up" is anything like complaining, I don't know.

Also, RB2 has only just gone down in price here, and it's only gone down to £29.99 ($49USD). I'm sure he'll get it eventually.

Ouch. I thought for sure it would be cheaper over there now. That sucks. Try ebay? I'm sure it would fairly easy to find it for cheaper though if he wanted.

Setlist discussion: If you don't like 80s music, this would be a bad setlist. However since that was my childhood, this is my favorite setlist so far. Not every song is fun on every instrument, but they planned it that way. Some are better on different instruments. It's so one person doesn't feel left out.

Difficulty: you can always get better. some people don't like it, but they (the devs) have been doing this for awhile. You will get better eventually. People expecting to be able to jump in and do everything perfectly need to be a lot more realistic. Besides what "fun" is it if you can 5* or GS* every song the first time you play it. There would be no replayability and that would bode the same for DLC. I prefer it this way. It makes even the older songs fun, because I know I can do better and I will do better, just not immediately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aristotle said:
Becuase it kind of sounded like you were complaining. RB2 is under 20 bucks at most places. Your friend should upgrade ;). RB1 works in LRB because it came out before it. You can upgrade, but not downgrade. Think of it like the call of duty series. You can't buy/download call of duty dlc for mw2 and think it'll work on mw1. DLC has never ever worked that way for any game. You can go up, but not down.

RB2 also came out before LRB. So by your reasoning (and basic logic), RB2 exported songs should show up in LRB. Its disappointing that it doesn't. Either exported songs work like DLC and show up in other games, or they don't. The current situation is confusing

It doesn't help for you to just say 'it doesn't matter' or 'why do you want to play LRB lol'. Plenty of people want to play different front ends for different reasons. Maybe they enjoy playing the tour mode with their kids in LRB as well as playing RB2 themselves? Who are you to tell them how to play? I don't think its unreasonable for us to want content that we've paid to export available in the games we play.

Rodeo Clown said:
DLC starting with The Doors pack on isn't compatible with those games. Different file format or some such. So, yeah, it's dead.

is this true? LRB is only a year old, it seems crazy that they'd obsolete it already. I'm guessing DLC is still RB2 compatible? which is a game thats two years old. And why would it be incompatible? current DLC which works on all games already has pro drums charted, the only difference seems to be keyboards which surely you could just ignore on older games, and pro guitar which you could do likewise.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
Sorry, I think you are in the minority on this. It is a lil less forgiving than before, but the timing windows are still the same. Just turn on no fail and have fun with it. Problem solved.

Feels dirty though. Maybe here people don't care abut the change but it's putting off a lot of people, at least on the RB forums where I'd dare say the people who don't like the change are in the majority. Plenty of complaints about it on scerhero of all places. I dunno it just didn't feel like a change that needed to be made. RB2's engine was perfect. Feels more like Guitar Hero now, which is gross.

2&2 said:
Feels dirty though. Maybe here people don't care abut the change but it's putting off a lot of people, at least on the RB forums where I'd dare say the people who don't like the change are in the majority. Plenty of complaints about it on scerhero of all places. I dunno it just didn't feel like a change that needed to be made. RB2's engine was perfect. Feels more like Guitar Hero now, which is gross.
NOTHING like Guitar Hero. At least on RB2 you have to be mostly accurate in your timing on HOPO sections.

Besides, Scorehero people are just scary.

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the game because of it.

koam

People don't like change, news at 6.

The game is awesome, there are a few things I don't like about, namely the exclusion of certain features in the first/second game but for the most part, it's superior in every which way.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
NOTHING like Guitar Hero. At least on RB2 you have to be mostly accurate in your timing on HOPO sections.

Besides, Scorehero people are just scary.

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the game because of it.

I meant just going from a full rock meter to failing so much more quickly now feels like Guitar Hero. It's especially disconcerting going from the same song in RB2 to 3.

I really wanted to love the game, I really did, but can't help but feel let down now that I've had some time with it. I guess maybe bittersweet is a better term to describe how I feel about it.
If you take away the big completely new additions and changes (keyboards, harmonies, pro, drop-in/out) and compare, there are a ton of subtle things that I miss from RB2 that detract from the experience, and I think it's weaker than RB2. Of course the big new additions are huge improvements. I even like getting band progress from solo play in RB3. Overall though, I'm not feeling some of the changes or things left out that didn't seem warranted. I guess that's what happens when you spend so much time with a game (RB2).

Ridley327

elektrixx said:
Can you still unlock achievements and get on the leaderboards with No Fail Mode on?
Yep. It's been that way since TB:RB. It's not like no-fail will magically make your score suck any less, but you'll still post.

MBison

I have the Rock Band 2 drum set with no extra cymbals or pedal. What do I need to buy to "upgrade" to pro drums? thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MBison said:
I have the Rock Band 2 drum set with no extra cymbals or pedal. What do I need to buy to "upgrade" to pro drums? thanks!

extra cymbals. If you're in Europe, I don't think they're on general release, you have to go through gameshark.com to get them direct from madcatz

vg260

MBison said:

You just need a cymbal pack. RB2 drums have ports for them. You can get either the Rb2 cymbals or the RB3 pro cymbals. Same functionality, but the RB3 ones are supposedly improved. RB3 now supports an extra drum pedal via the black port on the RB2 set. You just need the pedal. They sell an official extra one with some sort of splitter thing, but you don't need that, just the pedal now since RB3 supports the extra pedal jack.

2&2 said:
You just need a cymbal pack. RB2 drums have ports for them. You can get either the Rb2 cymbals or the RB3 pro cymbals. Same functionality, but the RB3 ones are supposedly improved. RB3 now supports an extra drum pedal via the black port on the RB2 set. You just need the pedal. They sell an official extra one with some sort of splitter thing, but you don't need that, just the pedal now since RB3 supports the extra pedal jack.
The extra pedal jack is for high hat, but the splitter lets you cheat and use double bass. It is the only way I can hit some of those kick combos.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting their ass kicked by Hey Man Nice Shot on expert guitar? I just can't get used to the chart in that damn song.

CJUNDERGROUND said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting their ass kicked by Hey Man Nice Shot on expert guitar? I just can't get used to the chart in that damn song.
"Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" kills me on expert guitar. It is fine until the chorus, with those triple sections of note-HOPO Chord-chord over and over again. My brain cannot process it.

Mileena

Banned
CJUNDERGROUND said:
just alt-strum. It's a simple chordfest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mailenstein said:
I kinda feel comfortable being forced to learn it. Guess I was just too lazy with GH lol. Medium on RB3 is getting pretty easy to me now. Gonna check out the next level I think :).
Thanks for your advice tho!

Yeah, I'm not willing to invest the time to re-learn Free Bird on Expert again, so I just go with No Fail mode so that I can still enjoy playing the song at an interesting level but also finish it.

Oh, anyone have any opinions of the Beatles Rock Band bass that came with the bundle? Still not sure if I should cancel my order... the only reason I want to buy it is because it seems no retail stores where I live even carry Rock Band gear anymore.

Oh yeah, you can't play Drum Pro Mode with the GH5/Band Hero stuff, can you?

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I'm not willing to invest the time to re-learn Free Bird on Expert again, so I just go with No Fail mode so that I can still enjoy playing the song at an interesting level but also finish it.

Oh, anyone have any opinions of the Beatles Rock Band bass that came with the bundle? Still not sure if I should cancel my order... the only reason I want to buy it is because it seems no retail stores where I live even carry Rock Band gear anymore.

Oh yeah, you can't play Drum Pro Mode with the GH5/Band Hero stuff, can you?
The McCartney bass is awesome, but tiring to use. The neck is much longer than the Strats, but the buttons are silent and perfect.

And Corkscrewblow: Alt strum is the answer. I just cant alt strum consistently to save my life. :lol That is something I do need to practice on I know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
The McCartney bass is awesome, but tiring to use. The neck is much longer than the Strats, but the buttons are silent and perfect.
Hrm, so you have to stretch significantly more to reach the buttons?

PhoncipleBone said:

And Corkscrewblow: Alt strum is the answer. I just cant alt strum consistently to save my life. :lol That is something I do need to practice on I know.

I was really bad at alt strumming until I really blatantly started tapping my feet, way more than regular strumming. Like a living metronome.

firehawk12 said:
Hrm, so you have to stretch significantly more to reach the buttons?
Setting it side by side with the strat, the orange button on the McCartney is further up the neck than the green button on the Strat. Think of having the buttons on the head of the strat and that will give you a sense of how much longer the neck is. The neck is longer and thinner, but the buttons feel better. The length of the neck is what makes it more tiring to use though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
Setting it side by side with the strat, the orange button on the McCartney is further up the neck than the green button on the Strat. Think of having the buttons on the head of the strat and that will give you a sense of how much longer the neck is. The neck is longer and thinner, but the buttons feel better. The length of the neck is what makes it more tiring to use though.

Wow, that seems pretty significant. I know they wanted to replicate the guitar or whatever, but geez. :p

I wonder if I should pick it up now, although I probably need a new drum kit anyway, just in case I want to do pro drums in the future.

Mileena

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
If you have a GH guitar it should be considerably easier. The clicking helps a lot with alt-strumming, especially compared to the mushy shit strumbar on the RB guitars.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
The extra pedal jack is for high hat, but the splitter lets you cheat and use double bass. It is the only way I can hit some of those kick combos.

Have you un-enabled the hi-hat pedal option in the menu in RB3? I think it's where you can enable individual cymbals. I can't recall for sure, but I thought it functioned as a second bass pedal if that option was turned off. Could've sworn It worked that way without using a splitter in RB3.

elektrixx said:
Can you still unlock achievements and get on the leaderboards with No Fail Mode on?

Heh, so I played a little w/ no fail on. I could always pass Maiden's Wasted Years w/ full overdrive going into the solo in RB2. I've been consistently failing out on the solo in the same song in RB3 because of the penalty change. So in RB3, w/ no-fail on, I didn't save any overdrive for the solo... and I just beat my high score and 5-starred it. It says I'm #23 on the leaderboard. The thing is I definitely would have failed out on that run. I was way beyond failing in the solo. Feels kinda like it misses the point of overdrive. I thought it was kinda like the fans rallying behind you and giving you a boost and not booing you off-stage, as opposed to purely a score-increasing mechanism now. I dunno, getting a high spot on the leaderboards (even before all the good players play it) knowing I should have failed out just feels kinda dirty. Guess I'll just have to get used to it and take advantage of the feature now.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
jgkspsx said:
For the record, they seem to have reset the code. Then the exact same thing happened to me again. Oh well.

Hmmm, didn't work for me. Still says that the code has already been redeemed. Replied to their email again. I'm sure I'll have to wait until at least Monday to hear back.

ravien56

corkscrewblow said:
If you have a GH guitar it should be considerably easier. The clicking helps a lot with alt-strumming, especially compared to the mushy shit strumbar on the RB guitars.
Real men don't need clicks :smug

Ok, since moving out to California, I left all my plastic instruments back in Arizona. What would be the best way to experience the RB3 uh...experience, also most cost effective.

I have a PS3, would snagging up a Beatles LE bundle be a good base package? then go from there(keyboards, cymbals)? I'd like to eventually pick up the Strat that can be used regularly or in game, but they aren't available yet.

EDIT: I just ordered my RB3, but it won't be here until next week, any kind soul with a PS3 and Rock Band 3 want to sign in my account and activate the doors songs for me? <3

Can a keyboard replace a guitar track if there's no specific keyboard track and there's no guitar playing? Since there are the same colors on it and everything.

I'd play Somebody To Love since most of the song is actually for the piano anyway.

Top Bottom