• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Ridley327

SiegfriedFM said:
Can a keyboard replace a guitar track if there's no specific keyboard track and there's no guitar playing? Since there are the same colors on it and everything.

I'd play Somebody To Love since most of the song is actually for the piano anyway.
Yeah, keys can play any song that has a guitar or bass part. Good luck with songs that have fast picking sections, like Thrasher.

:lol

Just got my band to the second tier I think? Cutscene on the hotel rooftop? Jack Shepard, with beard, waving a chair around in a drunken haze?

ABSOLUTELY BEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

corkscrewblow said:
If you have a GH guitar it should be considerably easier. The clicking helps a lot with alt-strumming, especially compared to the mushy shit strumbar on the RB guitars.

The strum on the McCartney is not too mushy. And the new Strats have very good strum bars. They still feel soft like the old RB one (the RB1 strat was a piece of shit), but there is the slight feel of a click when you hit the strum bar. You can feel it hit, but it makes nearly no noise. The buttons on the other hand...I prefer the McCartney buttons because it is easy to glide up and down them with crazy HOPO sections and they are silent.

firehawk12 said:
Wow, that seems pretty significant. I know they wanted to replicate the guitar or whatever, but geez. :p

I wonder if I should pick it up now, although I probably need a new drum kit anyway, just in case I want to do pro drums in the future.

I will try and take a pic of the difference in size later, but it is very noticeable. But the Hofner bass is just so damn sexy looking.

2&2 said:
Have you un-enabled the hi-hat pedal option in the menu in RB3? I think it's where you can enable individual cymbals. I can't recall for sure, but I thought it functioned as a second bass pedal if that option was turned off. Could've sworn It worked that way without using a splitter in RB3.
I have the hi hat pedal unchecked because I am having a hard enough time adjusting to cymbals. I have been using the splitter and two pedals since RB2 though because some sections with rapid kicks are just impossible to me. Hell, it took forever just to get used to two pedals down there. Perhaps in a few months I will try the high hat pedal.

So if I exported all my songs from rock band 1 into 2 and then export 2 into 3 will it work?

Edit: will I get all my rock band 1 songs?

YuriLowell said:
So if I exported all my songs from rock band 1 into 2 and then export 2 into 3 will it work?

Yes. Anything exported once is exported forever. When I booted up RB3 the first time, AC/DC Live, RB1, and LEGO all imported automagically. The only thing I had to bring in new was RB2.

Raistlin

I've just purchased RB2 to import int RB3.

From what I've read, there were several songs that weren't on the RB2 disc that you had to somehow get online. How did that work?

Do I need to do that first, or will they all be part of the $10 import?

woodypop

The Rock Band web site is STILL out of Lego RB export codes? What the hell?!

I'm gonna be pissed if I have any problems submitting it again later.

Why don't they take down the code entry page if it's causing such a hassle for everyone?!

2&2 said:
Is anyone else feeling pretty "meh" about the game now? I'm pretty bummed out by the difficulty change with respect to the rock meter/overdrive. I'm failing out more and it's killing the fun.
As I said before, it was really annoying me to death to be honest. I for one never played a real guitar, only GH games and I really had problems to play the blue and orange button. So for the most time I only played green, red and yellow. So when I noticed RB3 wants you to use all five buttons, it was a huge letdown in the beginning and I could barely hit a note. But now, after some days, I somehow worked it out. Atm medium is getting way too easy for me and I may move on to the next level. I'm afraid that will be hard, but I'll try. In my opinion, this is the best experience I ever had in this genre. But that's just me maybe.

On a side note:
Any news for PS3 owners and their 16 digit code on their manual? How to use?

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Raistlin said:
I've just purchased RB2 to import int RB3.

From what I've read, there were several songs that weren't on the RB2 disc that you had to somehow get online. How did that work?

Do I need to do that first, or will they all be part of the $10 import?

Are you talking about the 20 free songs? I beleive that you get them from simply entering the code on the back on the manual into the XBox Live marketplace (assuming you're on 360 rather than PS3).

You then use that same code and put it into RB3 to enable the $10 import.

How specifically did the Rock Meter/Overdrive change to become harder? I have noticed the Orange addition (which I actually kind of like. Giving me more practice and training me to always hit Yellow with my second finger in preparation).

Pancho

Qurupancho
BenjaminBirdie said:
How specifically did the Rock Meter/Overdrive change to become harder? I have noticed the Orange addition (which I actually kind of like. Giving me more practice and training me to always hit Yellow with my second finger in preparation).

OD phases fill your bar more and the Rock Meter goes down faster.

Raistlin

Ark Malmeida said:
Are you talking about the 20 free songs? I beleive that you get them from simply entering the code on the back on the manual into the XBox Live marketplace (assuming you're on 360 rather than PS3).

You then use that same code and put it into RB3 to enable the $10 import.

I'm not really sure how to redeem at all it seems.

I put in my Green Day code and it said okay and showed Green Day ... then said thank you. And nothing.

How do you import into PS3?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ah, I see. I've noticed both, actually. Medium vox was well hard and I got close to failing out on Free Bird medio.
Strangely, I have found vocals more forgiving this time. That or I have finally learned how to control my voice enough to play. I almost always failed out of stuff on easy and medium before, but four starred quite a bit on medium vox this week.

Damn, I really want to play the game more tonight, but my wife needs the place quiet so she can finish her proposal for school. Grr.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
doh. ancient old GH guitar is losing the will to survive. Yellow button is all but dead. Now considering the Beatles band in a box to get the RB2 drums and a guitar (hadn't planned on a guitar before)

can you remove the giant bass drum cutout on the beatles drums, and is the guitar you get in the Beatles special edition pack a decent one as a general RB3 guitar?

mrklaw said:
doh. ancient old GH guitar is losing the will to survive. Yellow button is all but dead. Now considering the Beatles band in a box to get the RB2 drums and a guitar (hadn't planned on a guitar before)

can you remove the giant bass drum cutout on the beatles drums, and is the guitar you get in the Beatles special edition pack a decent one as a general RB3 guitar?
The vinyl Beatles drum head is folded up in a nice lil bag when you buy the set. No need to open it.

I have posted my thoughts on the McCartney controller many times. It feels great and is nearly silent. The only big issue is the long neck which makes longer sessions harder. But the buttons on the Beatles controller are the best ones on any plastic guitar yet.

The Beatles set is the best price for getting good instruments now. You also get another mic and a mic stand.

Yeef

PhoncipleBone said:
I have the hi hat pedal unchecked because I am having a hard enough time adjusting to cymbals. I have been using the splitter and two pedals since RB2 though because some sections with rapid kicks are just impossible to me. Hell, it took forever just to get used to two pedals down there. Perhaps in a few months I will try the high hat pedal.
The hi-hat pedal doesn't actually do anything during normal gameplay. It's only used for fills. it's really disappointing. I would love if it could toggle the yellow cymbol between yellow and blue.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The_Reckoning said:
Ok, since moving out to California, I left all my plastic instruments back in Arizona. What would be the best way to experience the RB3 uh...experience, also most cost effective.

I have a PS3, would snagging up a Beatles LE bundle be a good base package? then go from there(keyboards, cymbals)? I'd like to eventually pick up the Strat that can be used regularly or in game, but they aren't available yet.

EDIT: I just ordered my RB3, but it won't be here until next week, any kind soul with a PS3 and Rock Band 3 want to sign in my account and activate the doors songs for me? <3
It depends. I've found Rock Band 2 Special Edition bundles for pretty cheap at Fry's Electronics...usually around $80 at times. That includes the guitar, drums, and mic. I'm not entirely sure if you can still find it at that price, but it's worth checking out different stores. It all comes down to what will save you money in the end so compare the Beatles/RB 2 bundles.

I'd totally offer to download the free tracks for you, but unfortunately I'm not home right now nor will I be until like 4 AM haha.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Raistlin said:
I'm not really sure how to redeem at all it seems.

I put in my Green Day code and it said okay and showed Green Day ... then said thank you. And nothing.

How do you import into PS3?

Not sure about the PS3 unfortunately. I only have the 360 version of the RB games.

Yeef said:
The hi-hat pedal doesn't actually do anything during normal gameplay. It's only used for fills. it's really disappointing. I would love if it could toggle the yellow cymbol between yellow and blue.
Lame. Well, guess that means continuing to use the splitter then.

My next challenge is actually doing well with alternating hands on drums.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PhoncipleBone said:
Lame. Well, guess that means continuing to use the splitter then.

My next challenge is actually doing well with alternating hands on drums.

do the new drum trainer lessons do any better at helping you understand what to do with your hands? I found with RB2 it assumed too much and you kind of had to figure it out on your own.

BTW, thanks for the Beatles info, sounds like a good way forward.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodypop said:

Why don't they take down the code entry page if it's causing such a hassle for everyone?!
Seriously. I wanted to play some of those songs with friends tonight. They really should just take down the page. Has it worked for anyone here? I haven't tried it due to fear.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AstroLad said:
Seriously. I wanted to play some of those songs with friends tonight. They really should just take down the page. Has it worked for anyone here? I haven't tried it due to fear.
It worked for me (360 version) when I did it Wednesday afternoon... I think that was shortly before the trouble started. I guess I got lucky. :x

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:

I just checked and you can plug the second pedal directly into the black port and it works as a second bass if hi-hat is unchecked, fwiw. I recall the official splitter actually having issues with detecting really tightly spaced alternating drum pedal hits.

sneaky77

woodypop said:

yeah I had to email them, cause once u enter it, is used.. it happened friday and I haven't gotten a reply, I had no idea there was an error with the site since it was up and working and no notices

I've just played a stretch of two hours straight, arms and shoulders hurt, still using my trusty old Guitar Hero 3 guitar (WTC one doesn't seem to register hits properly). I've got to say that it's a treat to have not only non-upscaled graphics in a game like this (looking at you GH), but also the timing being pretty much flawless without calibration (also of course thanks to my receiver and tv, but still).

I'm getting a lot of songs really right even if I've never played them before (I've never played any of them before, as this is my first Rock Band game, but I've played a bunch of GH), and I'm only playing Hard and Expert (mostly Hard, but now always Expert straight away if a song has 3 dots or less, and I'm sure I'll be doing all my favorite songs on Expert).

I also somehow survived even Free Bird on my first attempt (Hard, it looked scary), and even got my first perfect solo (yeah, on the first solo obviously not the second ;) ). That second solo though, I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out or dry up, because there was no time for blinking and that thing just kept on going!

Loving the game so far. I also bought a Police pack, downloaded the free Doors DLC (which is up now), and bought the full Red Hot Chili Peppers album, which is one of my favorite albums of all time (and which is installing now).

I definitely need more friends on my (PS3) list who play this though, so if you want, add me (PSN: niwrA).

Wonderful game and I can't wait to take it to the next step too with a Pro mode instrument. Hopefully I can fix my yellow cymbal connector on my GH drumkit soon, and not too long after get my hands on one of the Pro guitars and use the MIDI connector to hook up some MIDI keyboard or other. Still wondering if I should get both of them or just wait for the real guitar and only get that.

2&2 said:
I just checked and you can plug the second pedal directly into the black port and it works as a second bass if hi-hat is unchecked, fwiw. I recall the official splitter actually having issues with detecting really tightly spaced alternating drum pedal hits.
Only issue I have ever had with the splitter is that when you normally hold down the pedal for the shortcut menu it does not work. It registers only hits, not holds. But I will try the secondary jack tomorrow and see how well it works. Thank you.

Maddog

Maastricht said:
Wonderful game and I can't wait to take it to the next step too with a Pro mode instrument. Hopefully I can fix my yellow cymbal connector on my GH drumkit soon.

You can't use the GH drumkit for pro drums sadly.

Hige

PhoncipleBone said:
Only issue I have ever had with the splitter is that when you normally hold down the pedal for the shortcut menu it does not work. It registers only hits, not holds. But I will try the secondary jack tomorrow and see how well it works. Thank you.
I read somewhere that using two bass pedals without the splitter allows you to keep one pedal held down and still register the other, which the splitter doesn't allow I think?

Also, since you play pro drums, do you know if open hi-hat is charted to the blue pad?

Hige said:
I read somewhere that using two bass pedals without the splitter allows you to keep one pedal held down and still register the other, which the splitter doesn't allow I think?

Also, since you play pro drums, do you know if open hi-hat is charted to the blue pad?
You can hold down the pedals and the other works fine. The only hold that doesnt work is on the menus for shortcuts. I usually play with both feet down all the time, then release to kick. Much easier on my legs.

Aspiring

Maastricht said:
I definitely need more friends on my (PS3) list who play this though, so if you want, add me (PSN: niwrA).

I will add you soon. I need more Rock Band friends and some gaffers would be great!

KaYotiX

Banned
mrklaw said:
do the new drum trainer lessons do any better at helping you understand what to do with your hands? I found with RB2 it assumed too much and you kind of had to figure it out on your own.

BTW, thanks for the Beatles info, sounds like a good way forward.
Yes, they tell you what hands should be hitting what pads first. Very helpful.

Javaman

PhoncipleBone said:
Yup. And to use the pro mode training modes you need the three cymbal pack as well.

You can also play them with the original ION set that only has 2 cymbals. It gives you a warning, but they'll still count.

I remember someone mentioning that you can play the fills similar to the Beatles game where you actually play the charted part without freeform but I can't find the option to enable it. Is it hidden away somewhere? I'd like to learn some of the actual fills in songs instead of always having them hidden away due to charging the meter.

Hige

Javaman said:
You can also play them with the original ION set that only has 2 cymbals. It gives you a warning, but they'll still count.

I remember someone mentioning that you can play the fills similar to the Beatles game where you actually play the charted part without freeform but I can't find the option to enable it. Is it hidden away somewhere? I'd like to learn some of the actual fills in songs instead of always having them hidden away due to charging the meter.
It's in the pop-up menu. I think it's under extras or modifiers after you press start to bring up the menu. Just uncheck "drum fills" and it'll be like The Beatles:RB.

woodypop

sneaky77 said:
yeah I had to email them, cause once u enter it, is used.. it happened friday and I haven't gotten a reply, I had no idea there was an error with the site since it was up and working and no notices
Yeah, it's pretty f'ed up. They don't tell you they're out of export codes until AFTER you've entered your 16-digit number. So stupid.

Memles

ghostmind said:
Have retailers in Canada got the keyboard bundle yet? Grumble grumble...

Seems not - I know my brother caved and bought the standalone game so he could at least play pro drums.

Raistlin

Ark Malmeida said:
Not sure about the PS3 unfortunately. I only have the 360 version of the RB games.

No problem ... I figured it out. The instructions on the Rock Band site are actually incomplete for the PS3.

sneaky77

I gotta say I feel Harmonix has taken a step backwards in a couple of things, the fretboard.. transparent, why? big step back in terms of visibility here.. I don't get it.. is there anyway to make it solid.. and a little bigger..

The missed notes penalizing more.. why change that after so many yrs of being used to the other.. not really a big deal but still.. is annoying.

Character creating... we can only choose full outfits? no customizing the outfit.. kinda strange decision there
I played the first 10-12 songs I guess... so far setlist is pretty underwhelming.. I think the cure song is the best so far..

Raistlin

This is taking a while.

Exporting RB1, RB2, RB2 extras, RB:Green Day, Lego RB, and all my DLC onto a new PS3. :lol

RB:AC/DC should show up in a few days too.

sneaky77 said:
I gotta say I feel Harmonix has taken a step backwards in a couple of things, the fretboard.. transparent, why? big step back in terms of visibility here.. I don't get it.. is there anyway to make it solid.. and a little bigger..

The missed notes penalizing more.. why change that after so many yrs of being used to the other.. not really a big deal but still.. is annoying.

Character creating... we can only choose full outfits? no customizing the outfit.. kinda strange decision there
I played the first 10-12 songs I guess... so far setlist is pretty underwhelming.. I think the cure song is the best so far..
Once the character is made as a base model, go to the customize menu and you can customize as much as in RB2.

koam

Ugh, huge audio glitch, the music randomly cuts off or even stops. I have to fix it by going into the options, and keep turning off and then on any of the audio settings for it to fix. Wasn't doing this yesterday. Anyone else have this problem?

Raistlin said:
No problem ... I figured it out. The instructions on the Rock Band site are actually incomplete for the PS3.
HMX doing something for the PS3 that's half-assed? No.

I know I appear to be mostly posting anti-ps3 in this thread but it's really anti-hmx ps3 support. They've been horrible about it, and it hasn't gotten any better. I think the only users hmx dislikes more than the ps3 owners are the Europe/overseas ones.

Top Bottom