• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Toto and then more Billy Joel. I don't know what got into Harmonix, but I like it.

Can't remember any obvious songs that are missing except Uptown Girl so it's probably that.
River of Dreams is about the only other one I can think of. But Uptown Girl is the best and most obvious choice.

And I want some Asia in the game.

So I don't think Where Is My Mind has stems. If you don't play the notes on guitar, everything goes down in volume. Gonna check if it happens on bass and drums.

Does the same for drums and bass.

Maybe that's just the way the master was done?

CloudWolf

So I don't think Where Is My Mind has stems. If you don't play the notes on guitar, everything goes down in volume. Gonna check if it happens on bass and drums.

Nah, it was rumored that the reason Where Is My Mind? wasn't released in the RB1/2 days despite being leaked was that there was a problem with the masters. This seems to confirm that.

I listened to some of my Joel songs. An Innocent Man, Just The Way You Are and This Night are great, but way too slow. Tell Her About It could definitely work, it's similar to Uptown Girl but would probably lose out simply based on recognition.

An outsider would be The Longest Time, although I don't think Harmonix would make a song that's mostly just vocals and needs three singers. Would be a real challenge though.

Nah, it was rumored that the reason Where Is My Mind? wasn't released in the RB1/2 days despite being leaked was that there was a problem with the masters. This seems to confirm that.

I think I remember hearing that. Fair enough. It's not perfect by any means, but given alternative I'll have to channel my inner Inafune and say that it's better than nothing.

Of course, now they've really ran out of reasons for there not being any Rolling Stones for 9 years. They're not even one of my favourite bands but c'mon. It's the Stones. Maybe when Rivals is released they'll get back to releasing packs.

Well, that's this weeks DLC played! Here's my first playthrough scores:

"Lips Of An Angel" - Hinder
Expert Guitar: 176,842 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 2
Expert Bass: 110,293 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars Tier 1

"Where Is My Mind?" - Pixies
Expert Guitar: 146,424 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 2
Expert Bass: 116,080 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 1

"Lips Of An Angel"
is pretty damn fun for a tier 2 guitar chart. Mainly because of the solo near the end. Tons of hammer-ons with off-beat strumming that'll catch you out if you're not paying attention to them. Bass is solid as well as far as 1st tier basslines go. I'd say it's worth a buy if you love cheesy rock love ballads!

Are seperated instrument tracks confirmed?
Yes, entire guitar track is seperated, notes will clearly not play when missed, bass is the same, no signs of any track volume lowering throughout. So unlike "Where Is My Mind?" I can confirm this has properly seperated tracks.

"Where Is My Mind?" is the weakest of the two, instrumentally it's a simple song so I didn't expect too much from the guitar and bass charts when it got announced, but it's a great song so I'll let it pass. The guitar chart has a bizzare slightly off-beat rhythm throughout and some really bizzare 3 note chord changes so it's got that going for it!

Unsure, bass is clearly absent when not playing notes, Guitar on the other hand sounds like the guitar track just lowers in volume when missing notes even during the solo, could just be a backing track that mimics the lead guitar though, not too sure

Unsure, bass is clearly absent when not playing notes, Guitar on the other hand sounds like the guitar track just lowers in volume when missing notes even during the solo, could just be a backing track that mimics the lead guitar though, not too sure

Perhaps the bass stems could be separated but not the guitar?

vg260

"Where Is My Mind?" is the weakest of the two, instrumentally it's a simple song so I didn't expect too much from the guitar and bass charts when it got announced, but it's a great song so I'll let it pass. The guitar chart has a bizzare slightly off-beat rhythm throughout and some really bizzare 3 note chord changes so it's got that going for it!

Thanks for the heads-up. They really need to start stating in advance on the forums or twitter when they don't have fully separated tracks.

Thanks for the heads-up. They really need to start stating in advance on the forums or twitter when they don't have fully separated tracks.

That's why I started including stem confirmation in my playthrough posts now. You're in here like clockwork looking for the skinny on seperated tracks! :p

CloudWolf

This confirms that the song doesn't use masters and was made by altering with the EQ. You can very easily filter away bass (DJ's do it all the time), the rest of the instruments are way harder to filter out. If you check the other not-master track songs in Rock Band, you'll also find that bass seems to be absent if you miss/not play the notes.

so I have the RB1/RB2 exports and DLC across two different Xbox live accounts.

If I buy RB4 can I play all my old DLC and those exports now? I'm waiting to be able to use my IONs too. Also, is there any way to transfer the licenses on those dlc tracks so that I can have everything under one account?

used to play expert drums pretty competitively, had the youtube channel and everything. but I heard word of an adapter being built for the IONs which might be enough to bring me back. thanks

FyreWulff

you need to recover both of them to a One and both of them set that One as their home console, then you can play both of their DLC.

the adapter is coming later this year

you cannot transfer content licenses between gamertags.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm sure you guys get questions like this time and time again.

So is it almost smarter just to keep an old 360 around? I feel like none of the RB games are gonna be made BC.

So is it almost smarter just to keep an old 360 around? I feel like none of the RB games are gonna be made BC.

Keep it and the previous games. Beatles Rock Band has no chance in hell of being made BC, and the other games in the series look just about as unlikely as well. The exports basically replace backwards compatibility in this case.

FyreWulff

The only Rock Band that can be made potentially BC is Blitz. Microsoft has zero plans to support peripherals and Harmonix lacks the right to even sell any Rock Band that's not 4 or Blitz anyway (RB3 was recently delisted off XBL due to rights expiration). Sony's streaming method for PS3 is a non starter. The only console that supports Rock Band in BC is the Wii U, ironically, being the only console that lacks RB4.

and even then Blitz will likely end up being inevitably delisted. Going by the usual 5 year limit, it'll likely get pulled in August 2017.

Either way, I'm planning on keeping my 360 and even getting a new one to play RB3 on. Because RBN songs and keys and pro (and a shitton of other 360 content). I even go out of my way to keep buying legacy songs on the 360 first so i'll be able to have them on both platforms.

Was finally able to export my Coldplay pack from PS3 to PS4. Think there's just a couple random songs I'm missing and that's it.

That's a good sign, it's been a long time coming. I can only hope it means that the bunch of missing items (Nirvana 02, Green Day 01, Supersonic Live, Drops of Jupiter, and numerous others) on the EU store will be on the way, too.

CnFtQapWEAA33BJ.jpg:large

Getting both.

pacman85

Interesting. So, with the release of the original Jumper, I guess this is a sign that RBN is definitely never coming to consoles because they would have just done a different Third Eye Blind song from the re-record 3 pack if they were thinking about bringing RBN over somehow. Oh well, will pick up Jumper.

vg260

Interesting. So, with the release of the original Jumper, I guess this is a sign that RBN is definitely never coming to consoles because they would have just done a different Third Eye Blind song from the re-record 3 pack if they were thinking about bringing RBN over somehow. Oh well, will pick up Jumper.

Maybe they never had the separated master tracks, but just don't care any more because the original would sell regardless :/

I still find Jumper a bit of an odd choice, I mean, it's popular, yeah, but Semi-Charmed Life is more so and was pretty much universally agreed around the fanbase to have a poor audio mix on the RBN release. Was it ever a master issue for the re-recordings of the Third Eye Blind songs? I always thought that the GH tracks were the original recordings. Except maybe Semi-Charmed Life.

Probably getting both though. Definitely Rock This Town. The more GH2, the better.

Until i get Bad Reputation and Girlfriend back, i will never feel complete...
Not to mention Crazy on You, Search and Destroy, Them Bones...

We're missing loads of greats from that game and that's not even including the bonus songs. Rivals should just have the other GHI/II/80s songs they've not released yet.

FyreWulff

Freya is one of those ones I want to come back.

Also, specifically the GH2 cover of Last Child. I like how it was a bit faster than the original. I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't gotten Last Child back with all the Aerosmith releases.

Those neverending chords..

Freya will forever remain one of the bright sparks from the Greatest Hits game. I dunno which version they used, but it's not the one from the album. It's pretty fun.

CloudWolf

So, there's gonna be zero percent chance that Jumper is going to be properly seperated right? I mean, both Rock Band and Guitar Hero have only used TEB re-records so far, no way that they suddenly "found" the masters to this song especially since it had to be re-recorded for RBN.

That said, I will buy it since I loved it in RBN.

So, there's gonna be zero percent chance that Jumper is going to be properly seperated right? I mean, both Rock Band and Guitar Hero have only used TEB re-records so far, no way that they suddenly "found" the masters to this song especially since it had to be re-recorded for RBN.

That said, I will buy it since I loved it in RBN.

It's possible that the stems are separated, since they somehow found the masters for Cult of Personality, but don't count on it.

CloudWolf

It's possible that the stems are separated, since they somehow found the masters for Cult of Personality, but don't count on it.

I just watched the preview video and yeah, no way they used seperate masters. When the drum fill comes up the quality/volume of the entire song drops. I wonder if they deliberately included the drum fill in the video to inform us.

So, bought "Jumper" this week. Here's my first playthrough scores:

"Jumper" - Third Eye Blind
Expert Guitar: 167,431 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 2
Expert Bass: 134,246 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 3

Are seperated tracks confirmed?: Unfortunately no. Guitar track is simply lowered when missing notes, including the solo. Bass is non-existant when missing notes though. Much like "Where Is My Mind?" the bass track's EQ has just simply been lowered. So sadly, no seperated tracks for this song.

Impressions: This song was a fair bit more fun than I thought it was going to be to be honest. The first half of the song on both bass and guitar follow a simple structure with a guitar mainly consisting of steadily strummed chords and single note hammer ons and the bass is just steady single note strumming. The second half of the song is a welcome step up though with a lot of hammer-on strings on guitar back and forth across the fretboard and a rad, spacey solo to bookend things nicely. The bass also gets interesting near the end with steadily ascending and descending single note alt strumming with some strummed note snaking up and down the fretboard as well. I'd recommend it! For a Tier 2 and 3 track it's pretty fun!

vg260

Are seperated tracks confirmed?: Unfortunately no. Guitar track is simply lowered when missing notes, including the solo. Bass is non-existant when missing notes though. Much like "Where Is My Mind?" the bass track's EQ has just simply been lowered. So sadly, no seperated tracks for this song.

Thanks. :(

I've had enough of the flattened tracks. They are instant no-buys for me. Shame as there are a handful of recent ones I'd have bought otherwise. They're losing a lot of my DLC money. I'd really like to know what is going on with all of these release decisions, because these are becoming the norm rather than the special exceptions.

I'd just play RB3 with customs if I wanted flattened tracks. If I'm paying for a track from the actual developer, I don't want a compromised experience.

So looks like in the fall you'll be able to activate OD with the DPad on both the new Jaguar and the Strat.

Thanks. :(

I've had enough of the flattened tracks. They are instant no-buys for me. Shame as there are a handful of recent ones I'd have bought otherwise. They're losing a lot of my DLC money. I'd really like to know what is going on with all of these release decisions, because these are becoming the norm rather than the special exceptions.

I'd just play RB3 with customs if I wanted flattened tracks. If I'm paying for a track from the actual developer, I don't want a compromised experience.

Well, it's either we get the songs or we don't. I'd rather have flattened tracks then naught. Besides, you'll barely notice if you're hitting all the notes. :p

Well, it's either we get the songs or we don't. I'd rather have flattened tracks then naught. Besides, you'll barely notice if you're hitting all the notes. :p

As somebody who uses a basic stereo setup instead of surround sound, and chases after FC's and can 100% most songs up to the second to last tier I guess that's why it doesn't bother me much.

I mean, we could've had the RBN 09 recording with properly seperated tracks but there's something "off" about that version to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjqJ0jElFw

I'm wondering if this will open the gates for the other 2 previously RBN exclusive TEB songs to come to official RB4 DLC.

vg260

I'm not 100% convinced that it was either flattened or nothing. In some cases maybe, but I think it's possible it could also be a money/effort thing.

Regardless, I'd rather we don't get these flattened ones and get other songs, especially given that we only get two per week. I'm sure there are plenty of other good properly separated tracks out there.

I'm in the group that can't always approach 100% scores, so the audio issues definitely affect the experience.

So looks like in the fall you'll be able to activate OD with the DPad on both the new Jaguar and the Strat.
That'll take a bit of getting used to, but still, woo!

Probably going to get both songs this week. Saw a guitar video of Rock This Town and it looks really fun. The amount of tracks has been reduced, but some of the choices have been great for guitar.

Still hoping we get packs and stuff back soon though. And the rest of the DLC I already own on the PS3.

FyreWulff

I guess that's a pretty clever use after they killed the freestyle toggle and the limitation of being required to have Share on PS4 instead of Select.

edit: oh, it's specifically Left Dpad, so I guess they've left themselves the option of bringing back something for Right.

CS_Dan

Seems like a weird choice personally. I either 5 starred something, 1 starred it or didn't review it.
There's a reason YouTube changed to the whole thumbs up/down thing.

CloudWolf

Not entirely true. There's a very noticable difference in sound quality between the flattened tracks and the songs with proper masters. Hey Ya for instance sounds horrible, like a very low bitrate MP3. And of course, there's also the problem with whammy usage distorting the entire song.

Top Bottom