• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

EYEL1NER

Wow. All this "Hold the Line" talk and I had yet to listen to the song. One second in and I said "Oh, come on. I know that song!" I just didn't know it was Toto. I don't know that I would buy it anytime soon but I would buy that song, as opposed to not buying "Africa." Africa was a huge song and is a big "80's song" but it doesn't mean I want it.

FyreWulff

Random aside: was reminded today about the pro guitar upgrade for Somebody to Love's original release. They charted keys to Pro Guitar. I think it's the only "Pro Keys" chart on a guitar in the entirety of the game.

https://youtu.be/LSORrgtVGm0?t=342

I kinda want to know what that sounds like on a guitar.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Wow. All this "Hold the Line" talk and I had yet to listen to the song. One second in and I said "Oh, come on. I know that song!" I just didn't know it was Toto. I don't know that I would buy it anytime soon but I would buy that song, as opposed to not buying "Africa." Africa was a huge song and is a big "80's song" but it doesn't mean I want it.

Also didn't know the lead singer of Toto was Jack Black in Nacho Libre.

Cl9nBudXIAADgXp.jpg:large

:(

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Also yes please, I'll take the best Killers song as well.
Great week.

Interesting little tidbit.

Toto’s #1 hit “Africa” finally comes to the Rock Band Music Library this week. The song is a sing-along staple, and was listed on NME’s list of 50 Most Explosive Choruses. As such, the DLC team authored the solo vocal part as a hybrid created from the harmonies based on the part most people sing along with. This was done by asking dozens of people across the studio to sing the song on the spot, without backing music and without explanation of what they were looking for. It was a fun day in the office hearing people all over singing this iconic song. If you’re singing harmonies with friends, each harmony part is accurately linked to a different major singer in the band: Harmony 1 - Keyboardist (sings the verses) - David Paich, Harmony 2 - Singer - Bobby Kimball, Harmony 3 - Guitarist - Steve Lukather. Vocalists aren’t the only lucky players. The drum part is an endurance test, with a right hand that doesn’t quit. The bass part has a HOPO lick that shows up in the outro – watch out or it can break your streak. And finally, the guitarist will get to play that sweet, sweet keyboard part.

Those are both technically the right choices, and I like the songs but not the ones I would have picked. All the Pretty Faces or Bones along with Hold the Line would be fine for me.

Still, at least that means probably no more Killers from Hot Fuss, unless it's Jenny Was a Friend of Mine. Great first half of the album, tragically bad second half. Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll was just....eugh. Bleh. Things can only go up from here.

YAAAAAAAAAY!

Finally one of my wishes comes true for RB4 (it only took half a year). I'd take any Toto song (Pamela or Stop Loving You would also be awesome), but along with Rosanna, this is the one everyone knows.

Hold the Line is okay, but I feel that it missed the opportunity with Rock Band 3. The piano intro is absurdly distinctive and it would be strange to leave it uncharted or replace it with guitar.

Surprised "Africa" was the Toto pick to be honest. The mix Harmonix has has a much more pronounced acoustic guitar track I noticed. A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said there was guitar throughout most of the song! Ha!

Surprised "Africa" was the Toto pick to be honest. The mix Harmonix has has a much more pronounced acoustic guitar track I noticed. A friend of mine didn't believe me when I said there was guitar throughout most of the song! Ha!

If nothing else, I guess that's evidence that they managed to find the master tracks for that particular song.

Oh shit, I was too blindsided by finally getting "Africa" that I didn't notice we also got the best Killers song as well. Harmonies around 2:30 will be amazing to sing at parties!

Done playing this weeks DLC songs. Here's my first playthrough scores!

"Africa" - Toto
Expert Guitar: 164,587 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 3
Expert Bass: 133,249 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars Tier 3

"All These Things That I've Done" - The Killers
Expert Guitar: 189,479 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 0
Expert Bass: 151,200 | 100% Notes Hit (FC) | Gold Stars | Tier 3

Africa's "Guitar" chart is easily one of the best charts in the game! Who cares if it's a frankensteined chart consisting of acourstic guitar, electric guitar and synth and keyboards? It's a constant blast throughout. Tons of movement up and down the fretboard, and tons of hammer-on strings that go all over the board. Easily in my top 10 charts in the entire game, a massive surprise! Grab it folks!

So, now we're pretty much halfway through the year, what have been your favourites songs to play, based on charts? Did a bit of digging through my recent DLC purchases and compiled a little list of my top picks for this year so far. This is based on combined fun of the vocals, bass, and guitar of each song as I play all of those on Expert. Will be interested to see what a drummer's list would look like!

1. "Africa" - Toto
2. "Hook" - Blues Traveller
3. "We're Not Gonna Take It" - Twisted Sister
4. "Wicked Garden" - Stone Temple Pilots
5. "Still The One" - Orleans
6. "Learning To Fly" - Tom Petty
7. "Dope Nose" - Weezer
8. "Thunder & Lightning" - Motorhead
9. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars
10."Breakfast at Tiffany's" - Deep Blue Something

Africa is of course amazing but that Killers pick is a pretty awesome surprise. Was expecting something more recent. Only thing that would've been better is Jenny Was a Friend of Mine for that bass riff.

FyreWulff

PS4 and Xbox USA now both have all the mainline exports with that last update.

PS4 Europe is still missing RB2, Lego, and Green Day.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
BTW, any possible news for the upcoming expansion? Didn't someone here say that there would be more details at the end of this month?

Tapejara

Google isn't giving me an answer, so I was wondering if anyone here knew: is the full version of 2112 playable in Rock Band 4 (PS4)?

FyreWulff

Google isn't giving me an answer, so I was wondering if anyone here knew: is the full version of 2112 playable in Rock Band 4 (PS4)?

Nope. The pack-exclusive songs are last in line for restoration, but they should be showing up eventually. Neither console has it yet.

edit: it was basically explained as those songs have the most complicated method of eventually resolving them, so that's why have to wait behind exports/ec.

Tapejara

Nope. The pack-exclusive songs are last in line for restoration, but they should be showing up eventually. Neither console has it yet.

edit: it was basically explained as those songs have the most complicated method of eventually resolving them, so that's why have to wait behind exports/ec.

Cool, I'll hold off for now then.

Top Bottom