• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Kolma

RE the earlier Paramore discussion, their track on the disc in RB4 was my first brush with the band's recent output and holy shit, it's awful. What happened?! Good lord.

Is this (The Wii U mic) genuinely good, quality wise? Have a chance to pick some of these up.

Build quality they feel nice.
As for how well they work. I really don't know all that much about mics to judge how good they really are but they were made for a current gen system. The only other mic made for current gen would be the RB4 mics.

I don't see why a company would purposely put bad guts in a new mic.

I realize this effects probably less than 0.1% of the RB audience but if anyone was curious it looks like the PS4 instruments do not work with the PS3. Unless someone knows of a work around? It connects fine as a bluetooth device but does not register any input in the system menu or in game.

I have a bit of an odd situation where being able to use the new instruments on both systems would be really useful. Suppose I could track down an old guitar at Goodwill or something but was hoping to not need 2 sets.

FyreWulff

I realize this effects probably less than 0.1% of the RB audience but if anyone was curious it looks like the PS4 instruments do not work with the PS3. Unless someone knows of a work around? It connects fine as a bluetooth device but does not register any input in the system menu or in game.

I have a bit of an odd situation where being able to use the new instruments on both systems would be really useful. Suppose I could track down an old guitar at goodwill or something but was hoping to not need 2 sets.

Can't use new gen instruments on previous gen.

if you want stuff you can use on both you'll have to seek out PS3 instruments.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Lol the total legacy DLC count on EU PSN has actually gone down by five today (I dunno, I guess they removed some broken ones). So I guess that's it for the weekend. What a SCEE shit show.

Lol the total legacy DLC count on EU PSN has actually gone down by five today (I dunno, I guess they removed some broken ones). So I guess that's it for the weekend. What a SCEE shit show.
Yup, great stuff. They've still not fixed the pricing for a few of the pre-order songs either.

Back again on Monday, hopefully with a few more albums, but more than likely with anticipation for new DLC that won't end up releasing on Tuesday.

Can't use new gen instruments on previous gen.

if you want stuff you can use on both you'll have to seek out PS3 instruments.

Bummer. I realize asking Harmonix to push a new build with a new driver for old games is asking a lot, too much even, but would be really nice.

Anything in particular I should know while seeking out old instruments? All I need is a guitar but I see some mention of a dongle? If I go to Goodwill or a pawn shop is there going to be a pile of guitars and none of them have dongles, rendering them useless? Anything I should look out for like avoid the RB1 guitar because 'reasons'?

I think the Save Ferris cover is just as good as the original! It is a shame we didn't get the original, though. It's always a disappointment at parties.

I guess we'll see how it goes over. Someone at a party is going to get excited and then disappointed.

I also downloaded it from rb4. Will my purchase roll the other direction so i can download it on x360 too?

bobohoro

I want Moving Pictures! Come ooooon.

But then I realise I can't do playlists and drum the whole album in one go. ;(

I'd like it if Harmonix took a page out of Driveclub's social/scoring-features. Would be nice to make some online challenges and stuff, maybe gamble fans/game money and simply get a bit of competition and motivation in there for us lonely people chasing scores at home.

But seeing the stat tracking/leaderboard features in the game, it would probably turn out a mess anyway.

using RB2 guitar because someone at harmonix thought it was a great idea to not let you activate overdrive with a button on the PS4 guitar...

this worn out strum bar sucks, but at least I can still tap a button for overdrive

nictron

I bought Chumbawumba last night.

I don't know what my life is anymore.

Why_do_we_fall_Sir_So_that_we__1f637f07d8ddd0cd55994e6719a4bf94.gif

Kolma

I want Moving Pictures! Come ooooon.

But then I realise I can't do playlists and drum the whole album in one go. ;(

I'd like it if Harmonix took a page out of Driveclub's social/scoring-features. Would be nice to make some online challenges and stuff, maybe gamble fans/game money and simply get a bit of competition and motivation in there for us lonely people chasing scores at home.

But seeing the stat tracking/leaderboard features in the game, it would probably turn out a mess anyway.

Rock Band Blitz had some sort of challenge mode among friends.

Gleethor

using RB2 guitar because someone at harmonix thought it was a great idea to not let you activate overdrive with a button on the PS4 guitar...

this worn out strum bar sucks, but at least I can still tap a button for overdrive

Its incredibly annoying, but Sony mandates that all PS4 controllers have to have a share button. Harmonix didn't want to spend the money to create another new guitar mold to add one button for one system.

Does the loading times ever get better for DLC? Sometimes the game freezes in place for like 10 seconds when I choose a DLC song and another 5 or so after I pick my difficulty.

Does the loading times ever get better for DLC? Sometimes the game freezes in place for like 10 seconds when I choose a DLC song and another 5 or so after I pick my difficulty.

Wow how much dlc do you have? I have around 400 dlc songs in RB4 and haven't encountered any freezing like that. I'm on PS4.

farisr

I haven't opened up the set yet, but is it true that the ps4 instruments can only do firmware updates via a computer with bluetooth, no wired option like the xbox ones have?

Its incredibly annoying, but Sony mandates that all PS4 controllers have to have a share button. Harmonix didn't want to spend the money to create another new guitar mold to add one button for one system.
The most annoying part about that is that you can't even record videos on the PS4. Streaming and screenshots are nice, but if you're going to put the effort in to do that then you may as well use a standard controller in tandem anyway.

No, it's on Sony. You can't have a button that maps the 'touch pad press' without implementing the full touch pad functionality.

First party re: controllers this generation have gotten really stingy about everything. Except for Nintendo.
how about R3, or L3...

its harmonix' controller, they had guidelines required by the vendor, they met those requirements in the minimum way possible without consolidating the issues this causes with the final product

vg260

Sure, but I think their decision is understandable.

Sony's questionable decision to kill the select button and replace it with Share is the root problem though. It's already screwed over fighting stick makers and fighting game devs with the players suffering with lost functionality. It's hard to fault third-party manufacturers if it costs significantly more for alternate designs of controllers with a touchpad button, especially moving from previous gen hardware that was designed with 1:1 button mapping between platforms.

So really, Sony's dumb design decision put hardware makers in a bad spot.

What's unclear is if Sony would even allow you to have a button that acts as the touchpad click (i.e. PS4's select) without the actual touchpad, in which case it would be odd on guitars.

SFenton

how about R3, or L3...

its harmonix' controller, they had guidelines required by the vendor, they met those requirements in the minimum way possible without consolidating the issues this causes with the final product

Harmonix, and MadCatz, also weren't the behemoths they were last gen, and they needed a product out the door. I get it, it sucks (I'm glad I'm not a competitive player), that's just how it works. :/

Now, if GHL lets you palm activate, then we're in a different situation.

Harmonix, and MadCatz, also weren't the behemoths they were last gen, and they needed a product out the door. I get it, it sucks (I'm glad I'm not a competitive player), that's just how it works. :/

Now, if GHL lets you palm activate, then we're in a different situation.
and thanks to that, im stuck with a $70 product I cant use

SFenton

and thanks to that, im stuck with a $70 product I cant use

I mean, I get that it's not optimal, but unusable's a bit strong, yeah?

I think if the game was more hardcore oriented, they would have made a hardware change, but as it is, it's not. If anything, I would raise some noise on Sony's feedback areas if you're dissatisfied- sounds like you could be joining up with other dissatisfied customers of fighting games and more. More voices, more hope for change?

I mean, I get that it's not optimal, but unusable's a bit strong, yeah?

I think if the game was more hardcore oriented, they would have made a hardware change, but as it is, it's not. If anything, I would raise some noise on Sony's feedback areas if you're dissatisfied- sounds like you could be joining up with other dissatisfied customers of fighting games and more. More voices, more hope for change?
ive complained plenty about fighting game controllers to sony, thats all on sony. This is not. Sony said they have to have a share button, sony didnt say you cant put an overdrive button on.

Its not like harmonix didnt produce differences for the console version. the xbox version has a wired port, which is nice since updates are less frustrating then too

and yes unusable, the frustrations required and the change in posture from whats comfortable make it worthless to me compared to my old ass guitar. Which is unfortunate, because the strum bar is much nicer

I just want this to practice drums - do any editions currently have issues with drums on any platforms? I plan on getting this for PS4. Is there any way to buy the drums separately or use drums from an older version of the game?

Here is my adventure in trying to track down a PS3 Rock Band guitar. Went to the local Goodwill and found a nice big pile of plastic guitars. Lots of PS2 and Wii. No 360. And a single PS3 in decent shape for $3.99. Score.

No dongle anywhere to be found. Guy there says he is pretty sure it isn't needed so I say screw it. Bring it home and take off the battery cover before trying it out and it looks like a battery shat everywhere inside. :\

Took it apart and cleaned it all up. Took out the contacts for the battery and letting it soak in some alcohol for a bit. No idea if it is going to work.

Looking it over there is no USB port or anyway to 'sync' it as a controller so maybe I am still stuck needing the dongle? Maybe it will just connect via bluetooth and I will be good.

Maybe I'll put batteries in it and it will shit acid all over my leg.

A day of excitement awaits.

evanmisha

Here is my adventure in trying to track down a PS3 Rock Band guitar. Went to the local Goodwill and found a nice big pile of plastic guitars. Lots of PS2 and Wii. No 360. And a single PS3 in decent shape for $3.99. Score.

No dongle anywhere to be found. Guy there says he is pretty sure it isn't needed so I say screw it. Bring it home and take off the battery cover before trying it out and it looks like a battery shat everywhere inside. :

Took it apart and cleaned it all up. Took out the contacts for the battery and letting it soak in some alcohol for a bit. No idea if it is going to work.

Looking it over there is no USB port or anyway to 'sync' it as a controller so maybe I am still stuck needing the dongle? Maybe it will just connect via bluetooth and I will be good.

Maybe I'll put batteries in it and it will shit acid all over my leg.

A day of excitement awaits.

Yeah, you need a dongle.

Yeah, you need a dongle.

Sadness.

Will the MIDI pro thing work?

The listing on Amazon says: "Easily connects MIDI-compatible Drums, Keyboards and the Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar to console"

Not sure if that means wireless or if Fender put out some midi guitar I am unaware of

evanmisha

Sadness.

Will the MIDI pro thing work?

The listing on Amazon says: "Easily connects MIDI-compatible Drums, Keyboards and the Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar to console"

Not sure if that means wireless or if Fender put out some midi guitar I am unaware of

The latter.

Thanks for the info.

And it looks like you need the right dongle for the right guitar? Damnit, I knew this was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

Looks like RB1 is a black dongle (teehee) and RB2 is grey. And they are not compatible? Anyway I can tell which one I need? You would think this info would be easier to track down by now but there are so many goddamn manifestations of this game and hardware it is bunch of spaghetti.

I just changed the stand ins on my band (currently playing tour) and they are all bald once I start playing. Can't seem to fix it, already restarted the game, lol.

I just got my band-in-a-box (in Sweden, so I'm probably more lucky than the UK people?) and played a few hours. Some things are annoying, but damn if it isn't great to be playing Rock Band again. And while I could only get a lousy 12 songs off the PSN store, once I went into the actual store in the game, I had access to tons and tons of stuff. I got down to H before the in-game store started giving me errors (overloaded?) and didn't load the prices even when it logged in, but at least I got a bunch of songs now and it seems that it actually won't takes years to catch up.

And freestyle solos are awesome and almost worth losing keyboard over. Almost.

Top Bottom