• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

ViciousDS

Banned
One of my favorite songs in Rock Band ever is PDA by Interpol. That song on expert is really good for practicing alt strumming. Nearly the whole thing is up and down. Especially the end.

any 30 second to mars song works

BUT if you want to straight up alt strum and entire fricken song

EDGE OF SEVENTEEN by stevie nicks......the entire fucking song is basically single note alt strumming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft9Pvnr2BeA

bobohoro

I hated the goals RB3 had that forced me to play on regular drums...
It's like when a game makes you play on easy mode to unlock something that you've clearly done on hard mode already.

Yeah, it's dumb. Don't really get the reason behind it either.
I switched once for the trophy, hope the rest of the drum trophies don't require normal drums.

That said, Dream Genie on Pro Drums is fun.
On Hard that is. :O

And calibration for my guitar and my IONs is brutally different. Like 50ms different. :/

One of my favorite songs in Rock Band ever is PDA by Interpol. That song on expert is really good for practicing alt strumming. Nearly the whole thing is up and down. Especially the end.

The part at the end where it slows down to just guitar, then the bass comes back, and the guitar and bass start going back and forth... #rockbandfeels

It's great though, I actually learned how to alt-strum from Rock Band.. which helped me to learn how to play a real bass. Which exposed me to learning finger-walking strumming on bass, which I took back to Rock Band later to make it even easier to play bass parts.

Basically what I do for certain constant strumming parts is I apply a light pressure down with my finger on the strum bar, then strum for the even notes and let the other finger push the strum bar back for the odd notes.

So it feels like I only have to strum every other note. It's hard to explain but great when you get a good feel for it.

That is really cool, awesome how Rock Band can inspire that haha. I ended up picking up a guitar because I liked it so much on GH/RB. Still just learning (don't dedicate as much time to it as I would like) but really enjoy it. I'm curious to see that technique too, definitely will look out for that video. Sounds like it would be really useful. I just grip the strum bar with my thumb and index finger and alt strum that way.

Yeah, it's dumb. Don't really get the reason behind it either.
I switched once for the trophy, hope the rest of the drum trophies don't require normal drums.

That said, Dream Genie on Pro Drums is fun.
On Hard that is. :O

And calibration for my guitar and my IONs is brutally different. Like 50ms different. :/

Assuming your on PS4, but hoping I missed a stealth Xbox ION update.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
eeeh, my Yamaha kit kinda has the same problems in RB4 that it had in RB3. Everything works great except for the cymbals (only green gets recognized no matter where I hit it, but I have to hit yellow and blue directly on the bow, won't take hits on the edge), and drum fills, which weirdly lag like hell, even though there's no lag in the rest of the song. Maybe I can tinker with the inputs a bit...
So regular Expert with green cymbal is perfectly playable I guess.

So waaaaaaaaay back when I used to write about every week of Rock Band DLC released. Those were good innocent times and I got exposed to a lot of new music that I listen to on a regular basis.

While I won't go anywhere near as extensive as I used to before, I would still like to post opinions about the week's DLC, especially since 99.9% of the time it's stuff I've never heard before. So without further ado:

"Don't Wanna Fight" by Alabama Shakes
I thought it was awful. Flat out. Guitar work sounded lame and the intro to the vocals instantly ruined the song. Nothing the rest of the song gave picked up from there. Super hard pass.

"Failure" by Breaking Benjamin
Mediocre and forgettable stuff. Par for the course for this band, from my experience, so I wasn't surprised. Never liked any of their Rock Band stuff.

"Trainwreck 1979" by Death From Above 1979
Now this song I liked! Not enough for me to buy it, but I thought it was a groovin' track and found myself swaying to it. Wouldn't listen to it again, but I liked the time I spent listening.

"Follow Me Down" by The Pretty Reckless
Also pretty forgettable, but I liked it more than Failure. Moderately liked her vocals and thought the rest of the song was alright. Not too much to phone home about, but I didn't mind listening to it.

Overall the week was one of those filler weeks for me. Nothing of note came out that made me go OH MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY or "Ughhhhhh". Not the kind of start I would hope Rock Band 4 DLC would go on, but it's pre-order DLC. I get it. I look forward to next week's DLC, though!

Ranking:

I thought it was awful. Flat out. Guitar work sounded lame and the intro to the vocals instantly ruined the song. Nothing the rest of the song gave picked up from there. Super hard pass.

I love this song, and requested it and a few other Alabama Shakes songs a bunch of times.

My favorite thing about the band is the singer Brittney Howard and her vocal style. She's great. That whine to start the track is super outlandish and I love it. To each his own.

I love this song, and requested it and a few other Alabama Shakes songs a bunch of times.

My favorite thing about the band is the singer Brittney Howard and her vocal style. She's great. That whine to start the track is super outlandish and I love it. To each his own.
I'm glad you love it!

I want to stress that it's all my personal opinion and I embrace others having different opinions. I'm glad that it exists and is in Rock Band solely because that makes you happy. We all deserve happiness and songs we want on Rock Band!

So waaaaaaaaay back when I used to write about every week of Rock Band DLC released. Those were good innocent times and I got exposed to a lot of new music that I listen to on a regular basis.

While I won't go anywhere near as extensive as I used to before, I would still like to post opinions about the week's DLC, especially since 99.9% of the time it's stuff I've never heard before. So without further ado:

Mediocre and forgettable stuff. Par for the course for this band, from my experience, so I wasn't surprised. Never liked any of their Rock Band stuff.

Now this song I liked! Not enough for me to buy it, but I thought it was a groovin' track and found myself swaying to it. Wouldn't listen to it again, but I liked the time I spent listening.

Also pretty forgettable, but I liked it more than Failure. Moderately liked her vocals and thought the rest of the song was alright. Not too much to phone home about, but I didn't mind listening to it.

Overall the week was one of those filler weeks for me. Nothing of note came out that made me go OH MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY or "Ughhhhhh". Not the kind of start I would hope Rock Band 4 DLC would go on, but it's pre-order DLC. I get it. I look forward to next week's DLC, though!

Ranking:

I suggest you give DFA 1979 a listen. Their album You're a Woman, I'm a Machine is top tier.

Vicious

I want to see some Rolling Stones, Kinks and Led Zeppelin. Wishful thinking, though,

I'd also like more stuff from The Replacements. Guided by Voices and Modest Mouse would be nice as well.

I want to see some Rolling Stones, Kinks and Led Zeppelin. Wishful thinking, though,

I'd also like more stuff from The Replacements. Guided by Voices and Modest Mouse would be nice as well.

Yeah kinda weird that we never got another Modest Mouse song beside Float On in RB2, they have so many great tracks for Rock Band.

I took the advice of some here and copied my 360 download list to excel and sorted.

Hopefully I didn't filter out any packs. It's tricky because there are packs without "pack" in the name and I have a ton of 360 content.

Also, I'm using it to download songs alphabetically from the rb4 music store, but the music store has a completely different idea of alphabetical order (it pretends spaces and special characters don't exist).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Why would the guitar be playing another instrument's part? Drums should be playing drums. Guitar should be playing guitar. Bass should be playing bass. There should be keys in RB4 so you can play keys.

Because Guitar Hero and Rock Band have a pretty long history of mapping keyboard parts to guitar.

Anyone here an ION owner that converted it into a playable e-kit? If so, what drum module and/or extras would you recommend to get this thing in proper playable order? I have a 2 month old son so I can't play my acoustic kit.

FyreWulff

Why would the guitar be playing another instrument's part? Drums should be playing drums. Guitar should be playing guitar. Bass should be playing bass. There should be keys in RB4 so you can play keys.

It's been done since Guitar Hero 2 at least (I can't remember offhand any GH1 tracks, it's likely it's there).

The hard-set "guitar plays guitar" was specific to RB3 because of the existence of keys and pro guitar. But even keys wasn't always keys in RB3, sometimes it was a mouth harp, a trombone, a sax, etc... guitar tended to stay only guitar to accomodate pro upgrades later on.

Basically their focus was on having a fun chart versus a super accurate chart. In some cases, the masters are not split between the non-guitar part and the guitar part, so they just roll with it and chart both (Ring of Fire, for example, charts the horns to guitar in both RB and GH because they're both on the same stem)

Good Riddance has an entire string section charted to bass

and then you have We Will Rock You where stomping and clapping is charted to all the instruments :lol

It's been done since Guitar Hero 2 at least (I can't remember offhand any GH1 tracks, it's likely it's there).

IIRC Godzilla from GH1 had the bass break charted on guitar. And of course Freezepop's Get Ready 2 Rokk, one of the songs with the best fun to difficulty ratio in all of RB's DLC, let alone GH1 itself.

People can complain about playing other instruments instead of guitar, but I'd much rather play the violin solo in Lazaretto at the end rather than nothing at all. Authenticity is nice, but there needs to be a point to break away because then we'd miss out on so much. A strong portion of the keys in RB3 weren't keys, they were whatever else was available. Strings, brass, woodwind, whatever, it went to keys. It's not like Neversoft where they charted other instruments when guitar was readily available. Although in Neversoft's defence, they usually did pretty well in that regard. Charting the Sax to guitar for Rio is a great idea because anyone who's played Rio in RB on guitar knows that the song is hell to play. It was just a preview to Antibodies a few years in advance.

In the US what's the Queen 01/Queen 01 Enhanced situation?

In the UK the enhanced version is up but nothing has happened to the original.

Matticers

So I got a copy of the AC/DC track pack new on ebay for five bucks. Went to hook up my 360 to redeem the code on there and it turns out it's not working... so I went on the Microsoft site and redeemed the code that way. Apparently it worked but I didn't even know you could do that. I thought it had to be done through the system or one of the games. So I hope I didn't screw anything up or mess up the code by doing it that way. But it says it's redeemed and it's listed under my purchase history so I guess I'm okay? I hope. I guess I'll find out whenever they update Rock Band 4 with those songs.

FyreWulff

So I got a copy of the AC/DC track pack new on ebay for five bucks. Went to hook up my 360 to redeem the code on there and it turns out it's not working... so I went on the Microsoft site and redeemed the code that way. Apparently it worked but I didn't even know you could do that. I thought it had to be done through the system or one of the games. So I hope I didn't screw anything up or mess up the code by doing it that way. But it says it's redeemed and it's listed under my purchase history so I guess I'm okay? I hope. I guess I'll find out whenever they update Rock Band 4 with those songs.

You've been able to redeem codes via the web since around 2008 :V

But yeah, the track pack codes are the same as game/content codes - just regular Live/PSN content codes.

kdoll08

I took the advice of some here and copied my 360 download list to excel and sorted.

Hopefully I didn't filter out any packs. It's tricky because there are packs without "pack" in the name and I have a ton of 360 content.

Also, I'm using it to download songs alphabetically from the rb4 music store, but the music store has a completely different idea of alphabetical order (it pretends spaces and special characters don't exist).

Was there anyway to do this other than look up your
history on the pc and just type them into excel 1 by 1?

Matticers

You've been able to redeem codes via the web since around 2008 :V

But yeah, the track pack codes are the same as game/content codes - just regular Live/PSN content codes.

...Oh. Haha. That's around the time I stopped playing.

Now if I can just get my 360 going and find a RB2 code, I'll be all set for exports in RB4.

FyreWulff

Posted by HMXJohnLok

We want to make sure you get the Doors & Ozzy purchases eventually. We're not saying anything yet in terms of timeline because we've been prioritizing DLC issues that are a bit more straightforward, then focusing on some of the trickier ones. Both of those packs happen to land on "tricky edge case" content, unfortunately.

In case it wasn't clear, I can't guarantee absolutely everything, but our overall goal is to eventually (excluding RBN tracks), make sure that users who purchased DLC on last-gen can eventually re-download them. That even includes expired content (though, of course, you will not be able to purchase them now or moving forward).

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5192678/#Comment_5192678

I really wish they would have put keys support in :( i hope that one day they will. I just recently bought the keyboard for rb3 and i am in love with it.

IconGrist

So if I'm reading this stuff right even if you bought RBN tracks last gen there's just no way to get them back?

That's a shame because some of my favorite stuff came from RBN. :/

I own Queen Pack 01, and it only lets me download four of the songs in RB4.

I bought Queen Pack 01 back in the day. Then when Rock Band 3 came out they updated some of the songs from Queen Pack 01 and sold them as the Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack. I had no need for the RB3 versions and never bought it.

It seems at they transferred over the versions of the songs from the RB3 pack and not the old versions. Which is really lame.

bobohoro

Anyone here an ION owner that converted it into a playable e-kit? If so, what drum module and/or extras would you recommend to get this thing in proper playable order? I have a 2 month old son so I can't play my acoustic kit.

Here. My Kit right now looks something like this:
Roland TD-4 module
Roland CY-5 Hi-Hat and Roland HH-Pedal
Roland KD-8 Kick and Pearl Pedal
Drum-Tec Snare
Roland PD-8 Toms
Yamaha PCY-135 Ride
Yamaha PCY-65 Crash
Some spare Pintech cymbals, but most are rather busted already, was my first extra purchase.

I'm no expert on tech or playability and most of my purchases were based on what is cheapest/easily found used, but I'd say it's a competent set to play around, although the module is probably rather outdated and lacking in terms of sounds. But it works well with the Midi-adapter, never really had to fiddle around much with it.

In terms of improvements for me, the Kick&Pedal made the biggest difference, followed by the snare and hi-hat.

Thanks for the impressions!
I largely share your sentiments and won't be getting any of the songs either.

I own Queen Pack 01, and it only lets me download four of the songs in RB4.

Ugh.

I've seen a couple of singles from the original pack show up as cross-platform like Killer Queen. Really don't see the point to be honest, it's not like any of the enhancements matter in RB4.

FyreWulff

;_; so RBN tracks are well and truly dead? No light at the end of the tunnel?

I may skip this, then. Bought tons of RBN tracks back then, and if it's essentially confirmed that they're never happening... Maybe this one isn't for me.

They aren't going to say never, but RBN tracks are a whole different ball of wax with rights and submission pipelines.

I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

zulux21

;_; so RBN tracks are well and truly dead? No light at the end of the tunnel?

I may skip this, then. Bought tons of RBN tracks back then, and if it's essentially confirmed that they're never happening... Maybe this one isn't for me.

RBN was an extra thing that has different rights. There is still a little hope but not until after they get all of the official DLC done.

at that point though it's likely only RBN songs that were released on the PS3 would ever be released on RB4, thus it's just easier for now to say they aren't coming at all and then later say that select songs will come due to demand or something like that.

note: I am not an insider or anything, it's just what I would do if I am them at this point.

tombstone

RBN was an extra thing that has different rights. There is still a little hope but not until after they get all of the official DLC done.

at that point though it's likely only RBN songs that were released on the PS3 would ever be released on RB4, thus it's just easier for now to say they aren't coming at all and then later say that select songs will come due to demand or something like that.

note: I am not an insider or anything, it's just what I would do if I am them at this point.

Apparently the problem isn't as much legal (rights issues) as it is logistical (figuring out how to pay people without MS and XNA): http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5192043/#Comment_5192043

This is positive, in that logistical issues like this are much much easier to work out than legal issues. If it turns out HMX can't or doesn't want to dedicate the resources to the problem that's one thing, but it sounds like nothing significant is standing in the way of RBN exports other than HMX itself.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
So if I bought Push Push (Lady Lightning) on RBN, I'll have to rebuy it on Rock Band 4 whenever it gets release outside of the pre-order bonus? That's awful.

RB4 and rb2 track pack 2 arrived!

Hurry up and see if Blitz exported for you!
...or just have fun with the game for a while, either works

I almost feel anxious for you after spending days scrolling through the thread and going back and forth with you about it. Good luck.

Hurry up and see if Blitz exported for you!
...or just have fun with the game for a while, either works

I almost feel anxious for you after spending days scrolling through the thread and going back and forth with you about it. Good luck.

Won't be home until tomorrow lol. I took the day off though!

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
We don't know yet. I assume you'll get it for free

Well, I'd hope so. But if they're really not doing anything with RBN, I have my doubts now. I'm willing to let go go of my RBN songs (I didn't have that many and honestly the only things I'd miss are the Bang Camaro tracks and Guitar Sound by Ronald Jenkees.) but please don't try and sell them to me again.

You didn't like any of the dlc enough to buy it though! :/

What kind of stuff do you want for dlc?
It takes a lot for me to buy a song. It has to be a MUST OWN, especially now that I don't use Bing Rewards to fund my Rock Band purchases anymore. I went through a huge splurge when the sale initially hit, though!

And what do I personally want? The answer is easy! Full Paramore discography. I will not rest until we get every Paramore album (including live stuff and EPs) and singles they produced for other stuff. The day that Paramore: Rock Band is announced will be the second time a video game has ever made me cry. Tears of joy will be shed and it will feel so awesome.

Besides Paramore, I'd like a lot of representation of the bands I like (Rush, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Rise Against, Foo Fighters) and a ton of party stuff. Stuff like Call Me Maybe, Uptown Funk, Piano Man, Don't Stop Me Now are great examples of things that are awesome for parties. So more of that!

Top Bottom