• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FyreWulff

Am i the only one that want a less transparent highway? The highway is way shorter than RB3 cause of the transparency if something happens onstage im basically blind.

Yeah, don't know why they went back from RB3's more solid highway.

Then you go back to Beatles Rock Band.. Beatles' highway is even more transparent.

Psymatiq

Neo Member
Yeah, don't know why they went back from RB3's more solid highway.

Then you go back to Beatles Rock Band.. Beatles' highway is even more transparent.

RB3 had the same problem but they fixed that in a title update at some point. Im puzzled that they went back to handicap mode.

I took apart my guitar and cleaned the fret contacts (and black part of the rubber buttons) with rubbing alcohol.

Worked wonders but it ended up not registering frets unless i press really hard again after a month or two, but still MUCH better than before I had cleaned them.

Hmm, that's my biggest concern right now.

On one, you have to mash orange to get it to work. On the other, it doesn't activate star power any more by lifting, you have to hit select. I don't care as much about the star power though.

Kolma

Hmm, that's my biggest concern right now.

On one, you have to mash orange to get it to work. On the other, it doesn't activate star power any more by lifting, you have to hit select. I don't care as much about the star power though.

it's def a temp fix but at this point what do you have to lose.

it's def a temp fix but at this point what do you have to lose.

I gueess fully breaking it? Hahaha.

Wish there was an easier solution on Amazon/Ebay but prices are absurd.

edit: I've called the local game shops around here too and of course they all have 1-2 guitars and a drum here and there but they're all for the Wii.

FyreWulff

Do you have to shake the RB4 guitar to activate star power?

Tilt it. It's an accelerometer now.

I think with previous guitars with accelerometers like the Xplorer, you had to be mindful not to turn on the guitar with the neck held up because it calibrates "tilt up" as "neutral" that way

robotrock

Banned

I think with previous guitars with accelerometers like the Xplorer, you had to be mindful not to turn on the guitar with the neck held up because it calibrates "tilt up" as "neutral" that way

You can't press a button anymore, right? Since they ditched Start/Select for Share/Options

Kolma

You can't press a button anymore, right? Since they ditched Start/Select for Share/Options

On PS4 i think i read somewhere that up on d-pad would activate it but that just sounds off to me...

On Xbox One you can still hit "back" or whatever that box within a box is called"

You can on Xbox and you can do it on PS4 with a PS3 or PS2 guitar. can't do it with the ps4tar :(

It doesn't treat select as share?
On Remote play with Vita tv using a dual shock 3 turns select into share

robotrock

Banned
You can on Xbox and you can do it on PS4 with a PS3 or PS2 guitar. can't do it with the ps4tar :(

Damn, huge bummer. :(

The share feature in RB4 isn't all that great anyways, since you can't even stream! Understandable, but still would have been nice to have an overdrive button.

Oh, maybe that's what happened to mine. I'll check it tonight.

jaypah

The wife and I picked up the band in a box bundle. I've never owned the drums for a music game before but it's pretty damn cool. I think I'm hitting my red pad wrong or something as it sometimes doesn't register. Especially when I have to hit it along with another pad. It's probably me doing something weird. Fun game though.

robotrock

Banned
On PS4 i think i read somewhere that up on d-pad would activate it but that just sounds off to me...

On Xbox One you can still hit "back" or whatever that box within a box is called"

Tried everything on the d-pad, no dice!

I think my RB4 guitar might be broken somewhere. I have to give it a seriously crazy and lengthy shake for it to register anything. Tilting it 90 degrees up or down and holding it like that for a while didn't work either.

FyreWulff

Tried everything on the d-pad, no dice!

I think my RB4 guitar might be broken somewhere. I have to give it a seriously crazy and lengthy shake for it to register anything. Tilting it 90 degrees up or down and holding it like that for a while didn't work either.

last ditch:

pull batteries, wait 30 secs, put back in, turn on guitar with it flat on the ground.

if that doesn't work, contact madcatz and get that RMA'd

Ristlager

Is the lay out for the new tracks harder than the old ones? I can easily 4 star most of the songs up until the hardest difficulty on RB1-3, but in this game I am struggling hard on some of the "cord" changes in the first and second difficulty songs. This is on expert. Some of it is probably because of rust, but I still find the old ones much easier even though they are several tiers harder.

Is the lay out for the new tracks harder than the old ones? I can easily 4 star most of the songs up until the hardest difficulty on RB1-3, but in this game I am struggling hard on some of the "cord" changes in the first and second difficulty songs. This is on expert. Some of it is probably because of rust, but I still find the old ones much easier even though they are several tiers harder.
Which songs would you say are giving you trouble?

bobohoro

I've been going through five starring everything I've missed and I managed to five star/gold star EVERY song but Metropolis.

It's beyond arm's reach away on guitar, on bass it's fine except for when it decides to be IMPOSSIBLE, I'm not even going to try on drums.

Turn on freestyle solos. Makes the song very easy to 5-star.

Shame that doesn't work for Dream Genie. Will be the only song I can't see myself 5-starring on Guitar/Bass/Pro Drums. I have never tried vocals in any rhythm-game, might just be the incentive to finally hook up my mic to the console.

You're not imagining things. Some of those songs on the first 3 tiers of guitar are hell in terms of chords and strumming. Doesn't help that most are also boring to annoying to listen to. :/

And yeah, songs overall feel overcharted when compared to RB1/2/3.

Turn on freestyle solos. Makes the song very easy to 5-star.

Shame that doesn't work for Dream Genie. Will be the only song I can't see myself 5-starring on Guitar/Bass/Pro Drums. I have never tried vocals in any rhythm-game, might just be the incentive to finally hook up my mic to the console.
I was gonna stand up and say {I'll give it a shot right now!" but as soon as I was about to turn on my Xbox One, I realized that it feels like cheating. I'd get the achievement and feel all icky about it. I'd rather wait for my cold to get better, nail it on vocals, and then earn it with a clear conscience!

And honestly Dream Genie is SUPER easy on vocals. It took me 2 tries to five star it because the first time I sang it was the very first time I listened to the song ever. Had no idea what I was doing for the first few phrases. But the second time I got the five star and a FC is absolutely possible.

If it's your first time singing, I'm not quite sure if it'll be so easy for you though. I'm just really used to Rock Band's vocals engine. But there are not a lot of phrases and the entire thing is repetitive. So if you nail one phrase once, just stick with how you did it and you'll be fine. But you'd be jumping to Expert Vocals on your very first time behind the mic... talk about trial by fire. But don't be intimidated by its nightmare rating on Vocals! I promise it's not that bad! Promise!

Well I think I know what my 10 favourite RB4 On-disk tracks are for Expert Guitar now.

"At Night In Dreams" - White Denim
"Metropolis Part 1 "The Miracle & The Sleeper" - Dream Theater
"Rock And Roll, Hoochie Koo" - Rick Derrenger
"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" - Spin Doctors
"No One Like You" - Scorpions
"Panama" - Van Halen
"Your Love" - The Outfield
"The Warrior" - Scandal
"Friday I'm In Love" - The Cure
"Passage To Bankok" - Rush

opoth

Banned
Well I think I know what my 10 favourite RB4 On-disk tracks are for Expert Guitar now.

"At Night In Dreams" - White Denim
"Metropolis Part 1 "The Miracle & The Sleeper" - Dream Theater
"Rock And Roll, Hoochie Koo" - Rick Derrenger
"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" - Spin Doctors
"No One Like You" - Scorpions
"Panama" - Van Halen
"Your Love" - The Outfield
"The Warrior" - Scandal
"Friday I'm In Love" - The Cure
"You Make Loving Fun" - Fleetwood Mac

I feel pretty much the same way too. Old-school KMFDM fan too. Great minds think alike?

...post like an old guy

FaintDeftone

I powered the game on today on XBO and was shocked a bunch of new DLC was available to me. I was able to download like 30 tracks that I owned on the 360 that weren't in the list prior. Finally got my She Sells Sanctuary back! Harmonix must have gotten some licensing back.

Wanna know what I really miss that was in RB3? The cool as fuck psychedelic backdrops!! I really hope this gets added to the game in an update.

Okay guys, I really need some help here. As a new comer to the Rock Band series (ownership wise anyway!) I am really struggling with this DLC - I know, sounds stupid right? Let me give you an example, the game let me purchase and download Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe perfectly fine (don't judge me!) and it appears in my add-on list. However, Busted - Thunderbirds Are Go does not, but says purchased in game store? Is this a case of the song not currently added to the database? Is there anyway to distinguish between songs which are instantly ready to download or not?

Also, anyone have any tips with progressing from Medium to Hard difficulty? I usually struggle with hand placement to reach the orange button, or when I do hit it, it completly disorientates me for a few seconds.

Heh, the one thing I'll always remember about the music videos is that they had three Rage Against the Machine songs for RB2, two of which had the video on the white set. The one that didn't, Guerilla Radio had the actual video on a white set. It's like, c'mon, you had one chance to replicate an actual music video and you didn't.

Gorger

Okay guys, I really need some help here. As a new comer to the Rock Band series (ownership wise anyway!) I am really struggling with this DLC - I know, sounds stupid right? Let me give you an example, the game let me purchase and download Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe perfectly fine (don't judge me!) and it appears in my add-on list. However, Busted - Thunderbirds Are Go does not, but says purchased in game store? Is this a case of the song not currently added to the database? Is there anyway to distinguish between songs which are instantly ready to download or not?

Also, anyone have any tips with progressing from Medium to Hard difficulty? I usually struggle with hand placement to reach the orange button, or when I do hit it, it completly disorientates me for a few seconds.

- "Free" means you have previously bought the song, but haven't activated it yet.
- "Purchased" means you have bought and activated the song, but haven't downloaded it yet.
- "In Library" means you have bought, downloaded and installed the song. It should be ready to be played.

That being said the store is completely fucked up. A lot of my purchased songs can't be downloaded, some songs I know I have bought it asks me to re-buy. I get prompted "No content found" on most songs I try to click on which is marked as "Purchased" in RB store. RB store randomly kicks me out every five minute. There is still thousands of DLC still missing from the game (EU version). It will probably take a while for Harmonix to fix these issues, but only having some hundreds DLC's in my library sure hurts my single player experience.

bobohoro

I think so, yes. Can't be certain, as I haven't purchased any DLC on RB4 yet since I'll wait till everything is figured out, but there definitely are songs showing up in the store to buy, but not to download.

Which is kinda...you know.

That's really just something you get better with while playing and practicing.
One thing you have to figure out is your starting position. For some songs it's easier to start with your index finger on the red button and slide it down to green if required, on others you might wanna stretch your pinky to get to orange while staying on green. Although it might be better to slide your whole hand up and down in the beginning just to get that feel and orientation down.

And I want some Streetlight Manifesto now. Maybe some Trumpet/Sax-plastic instruments to go along with it.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I honestly hated the part where like any Jimi Hendrix song I played in Rock Band 3 had one of those awful backdrops. It can make it harder to read the highway.

Gorger and bobohoro, thanks for that, really appreciate it! I finally got Thunderbirds to work! Went to the PS webstore, and went to download list where it was waiting and downloaded to PS4! Very strange, but at least it is working now!

Bobohoro, I think you are right about the practise thing, tried Thunderbirds on hard after a few goes on medium...got through the intro ok...then got overwhelmed lol!

SHarris78

I notice (in EU) Maiden Epics is on the store when you look via a computer, but not when you look on the store on PS4. If I buy them via my PC will they be available to download on the PS4 or Do I have to wait until the go up on the PS4 store?

I bought Iron Maiden pack 01 and the album Chinese Democracy at launch and they haven't gone up yet :-(

Quick ?; does the PS4 Rock Band 4 guitar work on the PS3? Searched bout couldn't find answer. Would be neat if it does. Thanks in advance for answers!

FWIW, the Ozzy Osborne 8-Track Pack does not still work on US PS4 RB4; have it on my Download List in the store and I'm able to click 'Download to PS4' but it doesn't go through, and the individual tracks show up as 'Unavailable (already purchased)' but there is no way for me to download them.

Just curious for people with a PS4 and going receiver -> TV. What are your calibrations? I did mine but I don't like mine, I feel like they're off.

Audio: 165ms
Video: 115ms

Playing drums is really hard, stuff seems off. Any others?

Just curious for people with a PS4 and going receiver -> TV. What are your calibrations? I did mine but I don't like mine, I feel like they're off.

If you used the automatic calibration, I would advise you to do the manual calibration instead. Should see more accurate results.

I honestly hated the part where like any Jimi Hendrix song I played in Rock Band 3 had one of those awful backdrops. It can make it harder to read the highway.
Honestly I hated the psychedelic backgrounds too. The black and white ones were cool though.

I think I read that you can calibrate instruments differently from one another, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you used the automatic calibration, I would advise you to do the manual calibration instead. Should see more accurate results.

That's the one where you strum when you hear the sound right? I do that and it doesn't advance beyond that screen. According to this one it's supposed to go to another step: http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/how-to-calibrate/

Why won't my game go to that next screen?

I don't think I've seen the video calibration screen once. I always get a red "x" on screen when the audio calibration finishes.

Gorger

I have a 55'' Bravia connected to a receiver through HDMI.

My Audio is around 150 while my video is 180.

Calibration is not perfect, but when I used automatic calibration I got 150 // 160 which didn't work at all. I therefore increased it manually, and found the calibration much better when I got around 180. Tested it with the guitar.

I have a 55'' Bravia connected to a receiver through HDMI.

My Audio is around 150 while my video is 180.

Calibration is not perfect, but when I used automatic calibration I got 150 // 160 which didn't work at all. I therefore increased it manually, and found the calibration much better when I got around 180. Tested it with the guitar.

Hmm I'll try to increase my video and see how that goes, thanks.

After some effort, I managed to get the Living Room Legend achievement (Gold Star 30 songs on disk)!

I played the drums to pick off the stragglers and then I sang Dead Black and then pop! Achievement hunting is going great!

Alright, it's been two weeks, so I think I have a good enough grasp on this game. Here's my review on it.

Warning: it is very very long.
I didn't know you did video reviews, friend!

Also wow, Henry was right. Your accent is much stronger than I had thought it would be :eek:

EDIT 1: You talked trash about Ida Maria, I take back everything good I've ever said about you.

EDIT 2: "Except the Xplorer" RIP Xplorer

bobohoro

After some effort, I managed to get the Living Room Legend achievement (Gold Star 30 songs on disk)!

I played the drums to pick off the stragglers and then I sang Dead Black and then pop! Achievement hunting is going great!

Yeah, had that one pop just this second as well. Wasn't that though, still had half a dozen easy FCs on Bass left if needed. Probably had something like 10GS on guitar, 10 on bass and 10 on pro drums, I think.

Now to look for a mic to get Dream Genie done and achieve the 5-star everything on expert trophy. Might just try another guitar run first though, although I'm half a star off and don't see myself really doing any better.

Won't get the plat though, cause without online I'll probably never get the x8 band multiplier or triple harmony trophy. :/

Top Bottom