• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock of Ages |OT|: Rock Beats Everything. Even Def Leppard.

Volcynika

iUmY3.png

Jdn24.png

Two castles stand opposed, bridged by an uneven, narrow pathway. One is yours, and you're quite fond of it. See how the parapets catch the sunlight ever so stylishly? The other is your enemy's; they're a jerk, and their crappy crenellations are driving down your property values. Also, their castle sucks, justification enough to try crush it using an enormous rolling stone. Unfortunately, they'll have a chance to plan and build up some security, doing everything they can to derail your razing rock. Get through their defenses and you're one step closer to crushing their unsightly tower (see also: their hopes and dreams). But don't take your turn for granite. Once your turn is over, your opponent's begins...

G0v9D.png

• Platforms: PC / XBLA / PSN
  • Developer: ACE Team
  • Publisher: Atlus USA
  • Release Dates: PC- Sep 7th, 2011 (Steam Pre-Order) | XBLA- Aug 31st, 2011 | PSN - TBA 2011
  • Price: PC-$9.99 | XBLA-800 MS Points | PSN- ?$9.99?

Ya1D1.png

• Brought to you by the insanely creative minds of ACE Team, makers of Zeno Clash!
  • Take control of a giant boulder and crush your enemies!
  • Use an amazing variety of units to defend your tower and knock your enemy off course.
  • Bring your fight to both online and offline multiplayer!
  • 3 different modes: War, Time Trial, and SkeeBoulder.
  • 5 rich, historic periods of art and music create a gaming atmosphere unlike any other.

ENMes.png

hiGh7.png

voIiG.png

Joystiq: 3.5/5.0
GamePro: 4.5/5.0

01rKw.png

• Question: What in the world is this game?
  • Answer: Think of it as an form of tower offense. DESTROY! Or be more amused at the genre list on the Steam store page: Action, Strategy, Indie, Racing. Regardless, your objective is to smash your opponent. With a rock.

• Question: So what's the deal with the PSN version?
  • Answer: There is no solid release date for the PSN version, as well as price. I assume it will be the same ($10) for it as well. Will be sure to update with a date when known.

• Question: Will there be a demo?
  • Answer: While there will be a demo at launch for XBLA (required) the PC and PSN demos will come later.

• Question: So it's got multiplayer?
  • Answer: Yup, it's got split-screen as well as online. You have both a mode where you're trying to destroy your opponent's castle as well as SkeeBoulder!

• Question: ACE Team? What else did they develop?
  • Answer: ACE Team brought us the quite unique Zeno Clash.

• Question: Does the game have Steamworks support?
  • Answer: Yes, it does. Steam achievements and such.

• Question: What are the ages of the game?
  • Answer: The ages are Ancient Greek, Medieval, Renaissance, Rococo, and Romanticism.

• Question: Any DLC planned?
  • Answer: No DLC is planned currently, but it would be interesting if they released DLC consisting of different 'ages.'

• Question: Do I really see an achievement on the Steam achievement list that has a boulder with a troll face?
  • Answer: Yes. Yes you do.

Question: Do I really see an achievement on the Steam achievement list that has a boulder with a troll face?
Answer: Yes. Yes you do.

Yep, sold. I don't really know what you do in this game no matter how many times I've read descriptions of it but that trailer they put out last week was awesome and I'm super pumped for it.

cj_iwakura

DMPrince said:
unsure if want. i saw the trailers. just didn't interest me.

Also the game's been through development hell. I'm just crossing it off the list of games Atlus USA has had in the way of more important projects.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
If it is 10 dollars I'll probably buy it. I'm burning through my backlog though so it's against my principles. But I want to support guys, so if it is awesome I'll buy it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Two castles stand opposed, bridged by an uneven, narrow pathway. One is yours, and you're quite fond of it. See how the parapets catch the sunlight ever so stylishly? The other is your enemy's; they're a jerk, and their crappy crenellations are driving down your property values. Also, their castle sucks, justification enough to try crush it using an enormous rolling stone. Unfortunately, they'll have a chance to plan and build up some security, doing everything they can to derail your razing rock. Get through their defenses and you're one step closer to crushing their unsightly tower (see also: their hopes and dreams). But don't take your turn for granite. Once your turn is over, your opponent's begins...

And with that I knew straight away Atlus USA are publishing the game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There was a game I swear I heard Chris Remo talk about a long time ago on Idle Thunbs that was Xeno Clash team's follow up, and that it had a staggering attention to historical art in it. Is this the one?

Volcynika said:
  • Question: Do I really see an achievement on the Steam achievement list that has a boulder with a troll face?
  • Answer: Yes. Yes you do.
Yeah, this was added to the PC version as an apology for the delay, along with a free copy of the soundtrack:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079708
As a little compensation for the delay, ACE Team is giving away some exclusive extra goodies for the PC version for FREE.

1) The complete Original Soundtrack of the game will be included with the download. This isn't just the same music files of the game, it is a remastered and rearranged version of the themes, just like what we did with the Zeno Clash OST.

...and even better...

2) An awesome unlockable New Boulder exclusive for the PC. We listened to the community: It is a troll face boulder.

Sorry for the delay guys (especially to those who pre-purchased). We honestly wanted to get it on time, but this is our first multi-platform release & our first Unreal Engine game. This has nothing to do with timed exclusives, it is just about a small team with a lot of work. We want to make sure everyone gets a solid build of Rock of Ages on September 7.
The soundtrack is in MP3 format, but it's in very good quality. We thought that using the most universal format would be the best way to go, and we don't want it to be a huge download. If later on there's a lot of demand for other formats we might consider releasing a new new batch.
Also, I'd really add this video to the first post, as it gives a good feel of what the game is like (the demo livestream Atlus had several days ago would have been even better, but I can't find any recordings of that right now):
Rock of Ages Gameplay Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i_VYWAUoDk

mattiewheels said:
There was a game I swear I heard Chris Remo talk about a long time ago on Idle Thunbs that was Xeno Clash team's follow up, and that it had a staggering attention to historical art in it. Is this the one?
Probably, as this is developed by ACE Team (the guys that made Zeno Clash), and the theme of each part of the game is a different period in art history.

Anyway, pre-ordered this game yesterday on Steam. Can't wait for it; looks great.

Just noticed this:
Volcynika said:
  • Question: Any DLC planned?
  • Answer: No DLC is planned currently, but it would be interesting if they released DLC consisting of different 'ages.'
No specific DLC has been announced yet, but the developers have expressed interest in adding some kind of extra content down the line, but are waiting to see how things go to decide what kind to add:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24317137&postcount=6
abordeu said:
We definitely want to add extra content down the road. We've already setup the different builds so we can later release new boulders,levels and avatars without having to update the code. We already have some ideas for DLC, but first we want to see how the existing content is being experienced, before building anything new.

NichM

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Also the game's been through development hell. I'm just crossing it off the list of games Atlus USA has had in the way of more important projects.

What does this even mean? I swear, cj...

Weenerz

Banned
Gameplay videos looked amazing, bought it as soon as it showed up on Steam. So it's coming out the 7th now? Was it delayed? Thought it was coming out this week.

Volcynika

DaBuddaDa said:
Couple of reviews out, Joystiq gives it 3.5/5 and GamePro 4.5/5. The Joystiq review is actually quite positive.

Thanks, added links in the OP.

NichM said:
What does this even mean? I swear, cj...

From how he is, he seems to have no interest in the non-JP games being published. So I wouldn't put much effort into trying to understand what he means.

Gaspode_T

Game is awesome and very funny..feels like playing Marble Madness or Marble Blast Ultra meets some sort of tower defense

If you love greek gods this also features them in very funny Monty Python skits as has already been mentioned, as well as awesome use of music...all in all, this deserves to be a sleeper hit.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Just finished playing the demo on XBLA. I absolutely adored it, buying the full version without question.

It's like Terry Gilliam and Kate Beaton had a baby and it grew up to make its own version of Super Monkey Ball. One of the funniest things I've seen all year!

This game is really clever. I actually laughed out loud at the achievements being held hostage line (demo version). And 'only' $10. I foresee buying the full version.

Darklord

Banned
The GB quick look sold me on this. Looks like great fun. I wonder how it would play on a keyboard/mouse though.

VALIS

This looks wonderful. But Steam or XBLA? I don't know. I want it on both services for convenience. Give me a $15 for both package deal!

thelatestmodel said:
It's like Terry Gilliam and Kate Beaton had a baby and it grew up to make its own version of Super Monkey Ball. One of the funniest things I've seen all year!

didn't know who that was, now realised, now wish to marry this 'miss beaton'. oh my.

gillty

Banned
Madrugador said:
Check this achievement guys.

eascw8.jpg

Awesome :lol
Exclusive to PC version :)

As a little compensation for the delay, ACE Team is giving away some exclusive extra goodies for the PC version for FREE.

1) The complete Original Soundtrack of the game will be included with the download. This isn't just the same music files of the game, it is a remastered and rearranged version of the themes, just like what we did with the Zeno Clash OST.

...and even better...

2) An awesome unlockable New Boulder exclusive for the PC. We listened to the community: It is a troll face boulder.

Sorry for the delay guys (especially to those who pre-purchased). We honestly wanted to get it on time, but this is our first multi-platform release & our first Unreal Engine game. This has nothing to do with timed exclusives, it is just about a small team with a lot of work. We want to make sure everyone gets a solid build of Rock of Ages on September 7.

V7M0a.jpg

epmode

I love, LOVE the art style and sense of humor in this. The game itself wasn't as interesting but I guess I just didn't know what to expect.

Weenerz

Banned
Valru said:
Exclusive to PC version :)

V7M0a.jpg

Okay this is awesome, and it has convinced me to support their company on their other PC games. They are really putting in an effort for the PC guys.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Weenerz said:
Okay this is awesome, and it has convinced me to support their company on their other PC games. They are really putting in an effort for the PC guys.
They just said that there's split screen on the PC version in the Steam forum. Easy choice for me.

Took the plunge and bought it, haven't looked back.

Skee ball mode is a lot of fun, very relaxing mode after playing the more competitive story levels.

TheBez

Does anyone want to trade me this on PC? I have Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, Portal, Sanctum, and HL2 DM (lols).

Top Bottom