• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock of Ages |OT|: Rock Beats Everything. Even Def Leppard.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We talked about Rock of Ages on the Games Only Podcast - can check it out here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/gamesonly/Games_Only_Episode_3.mp3 and we get into it at about the 24:35 point, so fast forward there to hear about it.

Long story short - I love it. I want everyone to get it, or at least try the demo. FANTASTIC game and I love it to death. Just a lot of gushing! It's worth it!

Thanks, will give it a listen.

Two (minor) complaints:

In time trial it would be really nice to have a dedicated 'restart level' button (with confirmation of course.) Currently, pausing and dialing down to the right menu option is kind of a pain. You have to really be almost perfect to do well in time trial so you'll be restarting a LOT when you screw up; anything to make that faster would be nice.

When selecting a skee ball level it would be really nice if you could see your score when selecting levels; currently you can't even see which levels you have and haven't done without going through the leader boards.

Other that those though I'm enjoying the game a lot. There's also a great Leonardo Davinci cutscene.

Rabbitwork said:
this game is very silly.

probably one of the only tower-defense variants i've enjoyed.
I agree, so much so in fact I kind of wish there was a separate mode where you're just doing the tower defense half of the game and trying to hold out for as long as possible.

Beat the game tonight, i was chuckling all the way through the end credits. What a quirky, silly fun game. Surprised it's not getting more love here.

Volcynika

Neuromancer said:
Beat the game tonight, i was chuckling all the way through the end credits. What a quirky, silly fun game. Surprised it's not getting more love here.

It needs more love, yes.

Also needs to come out on the other platforms. Can't wait for the Steam release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd buy it, but I've just got so many other games I'm playing at the moment. And Hard Reset's like a week away.. and then Serious Sam. I'll get to it eventually

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neuromancer said:

I think you'll see a lot more interest next week when it hits Steam.

JesseZao

Played the demo. Purchased immediately.

Great fun in single and multiplayer. Can't wait to get some split-screen going!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I must hold on a little longer preordered this on steam a while back been waiting like a year and a half for this damn game must not buy the xbla version hooold HOOOOLD

Neuromancer said:
Ha I'm #10 in the world for the Time Trial in Madrid.
I was first the night I went through it. Just checked and I'm 4th and you're 12th. Booyah. Also 7th on the last level (was first when I set my initial time). I have some other okay times set but I only went and got gold and then moved on so I haven't really worked on setting fast times. I'm tempted to go in and try to set all better times than you.

Edit: Oh, and I'm 2nd on Dijon. That hasn't changed since the other night. That one might hold for a little while, I guess.

Futureman

Nice!

I was wondering about this game. My GF and I thought the art style was really cool and we were wondering if it was worth picking up. Definitely going to buy. This is my 4th XBLA game behind SMB, Limbo, and Outland.

JesseZao

I'll be playing some time trials tonight. This game is enough fun that I can see myself getting obsessed with the leaderboards.

JesseZao said:
I'll be playing some time trials tonight. This game is enough fun that I can see myself getting obsessed with the leaderboards
Yeah I've been trying to get all golds. It can be excruciating sometimes, but in a good way (usually).

Firebrand

Pre-ordered since it's pretty cheap for a new release that looks fairly polished. I'm not big on tower defense games but GiantBomb's quicklook sold me on this. Hopefully the online works well.

Firebrand said:
Pre-ordered since it's pretty cheap for a new release that looks fairly polished. I'm not big on tower defense games but GiantBomb's quicklook sold me on this. Hopefully the online works well.
Their Quick Looks and Total Biscuit's "WTF is.." videos are responsible for like 80% of my game purchases ><

Can't wait to play this.

JesseZao

Got some high spots in the first few time trials for the time being at least.

Seems like the best way to shave seconds is to reduce your air time and try to jump as little as possible while hoping from edge to edge.

This game is a great example of a quality 800/$10 title. More people need to get on this.

wilflare

JesseZao said:
Got some high spots in the first few time trials for the time being at least.

Seems like the best way to shave seconds is to reduce your air time and try to jump as little as possible while hoping from edge to edge.

This game is a great example of a quality 800/$10 title. More people need to get on this.

still holding back, especially with the Steam Winter sale inching closer (puts on flamesuit-

Gaspode_T

Yeah, not willing to pay $10 for a game that cost probably 1 million to make, way to go supporting small and creative developers! (Yes I would consider $1M pricetag somewhat indie these days).

...but seriously, it's only $10, we're lucky it wasn't priced at 1200 for the amount of production value it has. The obsession with $5 and less price for Steam games is actually pushing the market towards something that will bite you back in the ass later (F2P models full of more microtransactions than you can shake your finger at)

wilflare

Gaspode_T said:
Yeah, not willing to pay $10 for a game that cost probably 1 million to make, way to go supporting small and creative developers! (Yes I would consider $1M pricetag somewhat indie these days).

...but seriously, it's only $10, we're lucky it wasn't priced at 1200 for the amount of production value it has. The obsession with $5 and less price for Steam games is actually pushing the market towards something that will bite you back in the ass later (F2P models full of more microtransactions than you can shake your finger at)

^^ alright, i'll take a look at Giantbomb's Quick Look, that might just push me over the fence :D ^^ sorry

Twinduct

Gah, wanted to write a long post about how big my backlog is and that I'll wait for a demo to come out before I pick this up, but fuck it, gonna pre-order on steam tomorrow. Been looking forward to this game since it was unveiled. Complaining about a backlog is no real valid excuse for me now :p

Edit: Damn I thought this was $15! At $9 this is so damn bought! Crazy week! Dead Island, Space Marine and Rock of Ages!

wilflare

Twinduct said:
Gah, wanted to write a long post about how big my backlog is and that I'll wait for a demo to come out before I pick this up, but fuck it, gonna pre-order on steam tomorrow. Been looking forward to this game since it was unveiled. Complaining about a backlog is no real valid excuse for me now :p

haha i wanted to complain about backlog and how by the time i got to the game, the price would drop..
haha but i guess couldn't now
and after seeing the QL.. omg

Twinduct

wilflare said:
haha i wanted to complain about backlog and how by the time i got to the game, the price would drop..
haha but i guess couldn't now
and after seeing the QL.. omg

Lol nah, everyone has their own valid reasons.
I hope my post didn't come off as calling anyone out! I honestly was just judging myself!

Nopren

Drunk pre-ordered this on Steam during the weekend. Good to know my auto-pilot has good taste. Less good to know my auto-pilot has acces to my credit card.

Twinduct

Saften said:
Drunk pre-ordered this on Steam during the weekend. Good to know my auto-pilot has good taste. Less good to know my auto-pilot has acces to my credit card.

Protip: Stay away from Alcohol During any Steam Sale (Or large event ... like quake con).

wilflare

Twinduct said:
Lol nah, everyone has their own valid reasons.
I hope my post didn't come off as calling anyone out! I honestly was just judging myself!

haha i've been holding back on these indie purchases >< haha guess i ought to straighten myself

Gaspode_T

I was just kind of kidding by the way, I myself am pretty stingy with my MS points there are tons of 800 point games I can't seem to get myself to buy. It's partly psychological, I will spend $10 on a meal without flinching but can't spend $10 on a game that I will have permanent digital ownership of? Doesn't compute...

wilflare

Gaspode_T said:
I was just kind of kidding by the way, I myself am pretty stingy with my MS points there are tons of 800 point games I can't seem to get myself to buy. It's partly psychological, I will spend $10 on a meal without flinching but can't spend $10 on a game that I will have permanent digital ownership of? Doesn't compute...

haha. it gets "worse" actually. i see myself willing to pull the trigger on those penny pinching 0.99 iOS games and not spend on great hits like Bastion and this ><

Twinduct

wilflare said:
haha. it gets "worse" actually. i see myself willing to pull the trigger on those penny pinching 0.99 iOS games and not spend on great hits like Bastion and this ><

I'm on the opposite end here. I don't mind spending 10 usd on Steam (almost daily), but trying to get me to spend 1 or 2 usd on a mobile platform? get out of here!

wilflare

Twinduct said:
I'm on the opposite end here. I don't mind spending 10 usd on Steam (almost daily), but trying to get me to spend 1 or 2 usd on a mobile platform? get out of here!

haha :X iOS does have some really nice games! haha i guess it's just the trickey of seeing 0.99 (ahh i can afford that) and you just keep clicking. whereas on Steam, it's more apparent. 5USD, 10USD. especially when the sales see the prices go down tremendously

guess we've all been spoiled one way or another

Gaspode_T

Yeah, you need to be careful with spending, I am basically doing this to relieve stress and don't have time to play all of them but try to imagine how much game options you have at any moment if you shop like I do. I shop for games like some people shop for shoes apparently. Thankfully I don't have a laptop or PC worthy of playing PC games or Steam would bankrupt me. I guess I wouldn't call myself stingy but if there's one thing I wish people would buy more of it's creative games! Buying indie games is the new cool thing to do, look at how many people put obscene money into buying the humble bundle packs.

(my crazy billing history for June and July)
7/30/2011 SSFIV ARCADE EDITION -- Game Content -1,200 --
7/30/2011 Pixel Blocked! -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/26/2011 Fable III Understone Quest Pack -- Game Content -200 --
7/26/2011 Fable III Traitor's Keep Quest Pack -- Game Content -200 --
7/20/2011 Bastion -- Arcade Game -1,200 --
7/16/2011 Asteroids Deluxe Atari Arcade -- Game Content -240 --
7/16/2011 Lootfest -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/15/2011 Millipede Atari Arcade -- Game Content -240 --
7/15/2011 Centipede Atari Arcade -- Game Content -240 --
7/15/2011 Avatar Ninja! 2 -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/15/2011 Grand Theft Froot -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/14/2011 Points added View Points 4,000 --
7/13/2011 Boulder Dash-XL -- Arcade Game -800 --
7/9/2011 Pixelbit Helicopter Challenge -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/7/2011 Vizati -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/7/2011 Kung Fu FIGHT! -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
7/6/2011 BEYOND -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80
6/29/2011 Galaga Legions DX -- Arcade Game -800 --
6/29/2011 Captain America Table Full -- Game Content -240 --
6/29/2011 HALF-MINUTE HERO -Super Mega Neo Climax- -- Arcade Game -800 --
6/28/2011 Zeno Clash UE -- Arcade Game -600 --
6/28/2011 Hard Corps: Uprising -- Arcade Game -600 --
6/23/2011 Polar Panic -- Arcade Game -400 --
6/23/2011 Sonic Adventure DX Upgrade -- Game Content -240 --
6/23/2011 Zuma -- Arcade Game -200 --
6/23/2011 Feeding Frenzy -- Arcade Game -200 --
6/23/2011 Feeding Frenzy 2 -- Arcade Game -400 --
6/23/2011 Astropop -- Arcade Game -400 --
6/23/2011 Heavy Weapon -- Arcade Game -400 --
6/22/2011 Trenched -- Arcade Game -1,200 --
6/22/2011 Points added View Points 4,000 --
6/21/2011 Lair of the Evildoer -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
6/21/2011 PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death -- Xbox LIVE Community Game -80 --
6/21/2011 Adventures of Shuggy -- Arcade Game -800 --
6/21/2011 Bejeweled Blitz LIVE -- Arcade Game -200 --
6/21/2011 Points added View Points 1,600 --
6/21/2011 Points added View Points 4,000 --
6/17/2011 Points added View Points 6,000

wilflare

woah, that's quite a list there (dare not look into my iOS receipts...)

i think indie games have a certain charm to them that are slowly fading from those major dev releases.

charm - plain simple fun

Gaspode_T

Yeah, my iOS games are rolled into our giant phone bill so I have never actually calculated or notice how much I'm spending on those per month but I'm guessing around $20 to $50 per month (which is a lot I guess, but probably less than those addicted enough to pour tons of money into microtransactions)

What's funny is even how big my list looks, the $ amount is still small compared to the people who love to buy retail games. Some of those folks spend several thousand on games per year.

wilflare

talking about retail games, i'm getting less and less keen on paying full price for games.
either look it up at my local gamestore, amazon or just really wait for a sale.

sounds a little cheapass.. but really just getting more out of every dollar i spent. hard earned ><

EDIT: though i must say some devs/games do deserve every dollar spent on buying their games

edgefusion

Too bad there's no Mac version, I'll have to wait a week for PSN. I had no idea this game existed until the Giant Bomb Quick Look and now I am totally sold. Looks like a great time.

edgefusion said:
Too bad there's no Mac version, I'll have to wait a week for PSN. I had no idea this game existed until the Giant Bomb Quick Look and now I am totally sold. Looks like a great time.

Yeah I had no idea about this game either, but that quicklook sold me.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Yeah I had no idea about this game either, but that quicklook sold me.

came in here to say the same thing. Looks like a very very fun twist on the boring tower defense genre.

I've got almost all the gold keys for every level but there are a few really high up that are eluding me, strangely enough they're all around mid point in the story mode- I had no real problems with getting them in the last few levels. But even with the wing upgrade I can't reach them.

And yeah this game is totally worth it for $10, they could have gotten away with $15 but I'm glad they didn't.

Weenerz

Banned
Already purchased the game, but I thought I would watch the Giant Bomb quick look and Ryan Davis is TERRIBLE at this game.

Does anyone know what the final ball upgrade does? Makes it look like it's coated in oil but I couldn't detect any handling differences.

Top Bottom