• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock of Ages |OT|: Rock Beats Everything. Even Def Leppard.

Neuromancer said:
Does anyone know what the final ball upgrade does? Makes it look like it's coated in oil but I couldn't detect any handling differences.
Like you said, it coats the ball in oil. That oil makes land unusable I believe, or in other words, where there's oil, the land dies and the opponent no longer has the option of building defenses there.

Neuromancer said:
I've got almost all the gold keys for every level but there are a few really high up that are eluding me, strangely enough they're all around mid point in the story mode- I had no real problems with getting them in the last few levels. But even with the wing upgrade I can't reach them.

And yeah this game is totally worth it for $10, they could have gotten away with $15 but I'm glad they didn't.
Just went through and got all the gold keys tonight so if there's still any levels that elude you I can give you a tip or two perhaps. Mostly it just comes to lucky bounces but there might be a situation where I can give you some tips? The one on top of the hedge wall was the absolute worst for me.

Also, I'm now #1 on the last level. I noticed some people were way ahead of me despite being 10th so I spent ten minutes and got the best time by around 0.3 seconds. Hurrah? Didn't really bother working on the others. Having to pause and go through the menu and also waiting three seconds to restart every time is aggravating.

Mdk7

I'll buy it as soon as i get home from holidays.
Played it at E3 and had a blast with it, TEAM ACE is made of crazy talented people.
C'mon guys, now give us Zeno Clash 2!!!!

Q2mPu.png

Hmmm.... still thinking about pre-ordering it or not.

Futureman

What is with the camera controls reversing themselves while you play?? I guess it has to do with your ball getting very disoriented, but still, annoying me.

Me and my GF love the game so far though. I'm up to "Misplaced Megaliths."

Fitz

The store page has updated to say it has released, but my games list is still showing it as a preorder, so I can't download it yet. :(

Colkate said:
The store page has updated to say it has released, but my games list is still showing it as a preorder, so I can't download it yet. :(
It usually takes about 5-10 minutes for it to be available for download.

Wibblewozzer said:
Just went through and got all the gold keys tonight so if there's still any levels that elude you I can give you a tip or two perhaps. Mostly it just comes to lucky bounces but there might be a situation where I can give you some tips? The one on top of the hedge wall was the absolute worst for me.

Also, I'm now #1 on the last level. I noticed some people were way ahead of me despite being 10th so I spent ten minutes and got the best time by around 0.3 seconds. Hurrah? Didn't really bother working on the others. Having to pause and go through the menu and also waiting three seconds to restart every time is aggravating.
Yeah thanks, let's start with that one. How the hell do you get it? I went around behind it, tried to jump off the rock and even used the wing-ball, and I still couldn't do it.

Javaman

Yay! Gonna check this out after work. Like another poster I bought this drunk one night. Good to hear it isn't crap. Hahaa

Fun. The Giant Bomb quick look gives you a great idea of what it is, and after playing it - it's just as fun as it looks in the quick look.

I get weird frame rate drops though when rolling. Nothing gamebreaking, just spoiled by pc gaming and high framerates.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
weekendCONFIRMED said:
Fun. The Giant Bomb quick look gives you a great idea of what it is, and after playing it - it's just as fun as it looks in the quick look.

I get weird frame rate drops though when rolling. Nothing gamebreaking, just spoiled by pc gaming and high framerates.
Weird. Looks like it's UE3.0. Specs?

Jo-El

weekendCONFIRMED said:

That's odd. My framerate has been rock(lol) solid.

Apparently gamepad support in menus was cut so that they'd release "on time". As it is now you have to alternate between kb/m and gamepad everytime you enter the menus or play the game itself.

Jo-El

Marsipolami said:
Apparently gamepad support in menus was cut so that they'd release "on time". As it is now you have to alternate between kb/m and gamepad everytime you enter the menus or play the game itself.
Yeah, I find that kind of annoying. Hopefully they patch it in later.

Fitz

Did the first few missions and just spent some time doing multiplayer with a friend and so far it's been really fun. Some of the maps are really crazy, the game's also real nice to look at, I love the stuff going on in the backgrounds.
So far my only real gripe is that the game doesn't have voice options, it seems to force you to use the voice-activation chat through Steam, even though I have it set to push-to-talk, needs an option to disable voice. It's a little annoying but I'm sure it'll get fixed.

edgefusion

Any news on the PSN version? For some reason I was under the impression it was supposed to be hitting today but it's a no show.

edgefusion said:
Any news on the PSN version? For some reason I was under the impression it was supposed to be hitting today but it's a no show.
That's been the case for at least a week now--the PSN release date is just "coming soon" right now.

Man what a fun game. The python-inspired art is really sweet too. Love how you're going through all these different historic periods.

vocab

Anyone else getting this problem? The shadows from the sun or something can be manipulated, and its very distracting, and I don't know if it is intended.

3A153FB414D5FD66EB49FC1B8373B27B6447E7A4

This is a steam screenshot btw. Don't judge the graphics off of that. Lack of AA is really noticeable in that screen, but you don't notice it in motion.

SapientWolf said:
Weird. Looks like it's UE3.0. Specs?
It's not my video card (Radeon HD 6950 2GB), but I know my cpu is starting to definitely bottleneck me (e8400 c2d 3.0 ghz).

Bah. Most unreal games run like butter.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
weekendCONFIRMED said:
It's not my video card (Radeon HD 6950 2GB), but I know my cpu is starting to definitely bottleneck me (e8400 c2d 3.0 ghz).

Bah. Most unreal games run like butter.
I would find the ini file and try increasing the texture cache size. UE3.0 titles sometimes hitch while loading textures.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah thanks, let's start with that one. How the hell do you get it? I went around behind it, tried to jump off the rock and even used the wing-ball, and I still couldn't do it.
The way I finally got it and had the highest rate of success of getting close is to roll past to the giant cloud thing that blows. Wait right in front of it for it to blow you towards the hedge, jump the ledge and hit the smaller of the two rocks. With enough speed that'll pop you up pretty high and then it's just a matter of landing on the hedge. After I realized this got me height it took me five to ten minutes of getting it to properly pop me up and also not fly past the wall, which I did a couple times.

The only other way I got enough height, but it's entirely unpredictable, is to hang out on the open next to the hedge that's towards the start of the level. Get the enemy to drop a sky rock on you using its helicopter and then roll a little forward and jump right before it hits. Occasionally, if timed perfectly, the hit from the rock will hit the ground almost below you and it'll give you a good upward boost. This was impossible to predict and entirely frustrating, but it did get me the right height two or three times but took forever.

vocab

Ok guys. If you have my problem, Turn off Light Shaft Effect. It fixes the problem. Something is definitely wrong with that setting.

Wibblewozzer said:
The way I finally got it and had the highest rate of success of getting close is to roll past to the giant cloud thing that blows. Wait right in front of it for it to blow you towards the hedge, jump the ledge and hit the smaller of the two rocks. With enough speed that'll pop you up pretty high and then it's just a matter of landing on the hedge. After I realized this got me height it took me five to ten minutes of getting it to properly pop me up and also not fly past the wall, which I did a couple times.

The only other way I got enough height, but it's entirely unpredictable, is to hang out on the open next to the hedge that's towards the start of the level. Get the enemy to drop a sky rock on you using its helicopter and then roll a little forward and jump right before it hits. Occasionally, if timed perfectly, the hit from the rock will hit the ground almost below you and it'll give you a good upward boost. This was impossible to predict and entirely frustrating, but it did get me the right height two or three times but took forever.
Jesus H Christ.

Haha thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot tonight... Sounds horrendous though.

Volcynika

Beat Leonidas just to get my feet wet. So awesome!

(Though I was able to break the AI of the boulder where they got stuck in an area.....got some achievements :p )

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played the first 5-6 levels or something. The idea is cute, but I was on the fence before and simply bought it because I cant resist niché games at this price point. As I said, the idea feels novel and I looove the style, but I don't get too much fun out of the gameplay besides the novelty factor.
I am not saying its bad, it might be even quite a bit of fun for you if you are playing with someone else and you know what you are doing, but the "fun" didn't work for me :(

Jo-El

Toma said:
Played the first 5-6 levels or something. The idea is cute, but I was on the fence before and simply bought it because I cant resist niché games at this price point. As I said, the idea feels novel and I looove the style, but I don't get too much fun out of the gameplay besides the novelty factor.
I am not saying its bad, it might be even quite a bit of fun for you if you are playing with someone else and you know what you are doing, but the "fun" didn't work for me :(
That's too bad :( I'm really enjoying it a lot.

I reset all the graphics to default and seems like it's not really framerate dropping anymore - either fixed it or it was so minor I just got used to it.

Played more of it and it's a blast. It's charming as hell and really funny. The pre-level cut-scenes are what make the game for me. I look forward to those so much, almost more than the actual level.

I spit up my water at the "THIS..IS...SPARTA!" kick part

Salsa

Just started, game is great so far.

Only complains: game doesnt seem to recognize the 360 controller outside of the game, like in menus and even the story map and whatnot.

also, are you guys forcing AA?

Chocoboko

SalsaShark said:
Just started, game is great so far.

Only complains: game doesnt seem to recognize the 360 controller outside of the game, like in menus and even the story map and whatnot.

also, are you guys forcing AA?
I came in here to see if that menu controller issue was happening to anyone else. It really is bothering me that I play the game fine with a controller but have to do everything else with the mouse. You would have thought they would make it so all controller types can all control menus and such.

Besides that I am having a lot of fun with it. I stopped after I beat level 5. I am having a hard time getting strategies with the building placement but it is pretty fun rolling over buildings as a giant boulder.

Salsa

Chocoboko said:
I came in here to see if that menu controller issue was happening to anyone else. It really is bothering me that I play the game fine with a controller but have to do everything else with the mouse. You would have thought they would make it so all controller types can all control menus and such.

I love how the controller support just stops after you hit pause, lol. You need to grab the mouse and leave the pause menu manually.

Anyway, nothing a patch couldnt fix.

Also already found an issue where the AI got stuck in a place where it would fall constantly, so it was impossible to lose. Still, this was on level 2 so meh.

Jaggies! that's my main problem right now, forcing AA does nothing.

Fitz

SalsaShark said:
Jaggies! that's my main problem right now, forcing AA does nothing.

I managed to force AA using the 0x000100C5 compatibility in Nvidia Inspector, can't help if you're on ATI though. :( It seems to do a fairly decent job, with 32xCSAA the jaggies are mostly gone.

SalsaShark said:
Also already found an issue where the AI got stuck in a place where it would fall constantly, so it was impossible to lose. Still, this was on level 2 so meh.
This continues in other levels, too. Wallachia is probably the most apparent as it seems really common that the AI will take a full minute (or more) to make it up two stairs and will instead just bump into them constantly. Seems you can permanently confuse them there by placing towers right at the top of the stairs and they'll never be able to break them. Also, when I had my friend play the other night she beat a level with the AI rolling back and forth in place with nothing seemingly in front of it. That one I couldn't tell what it was doing at all.

Have to say the AI is fantastic at being an asshole at placing its units, though.

Fitz

Wibblewozzer said:
Have to say the AI is fantastic at being an asshole at placing its units, though.

This, they often like to place a big tower, then two crappy towers on either side so you think "Ok, I'll go through one of the smaller ones!" only to get blown off the track by a windmill hidden behind the big tower.

R1CHO said:
Looks like some guys can enable MSAA support using the dx10/11 mode:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105324

Awesome, going to try that now.

Salsa

Colkate said:
I managed to force AA using the 0x000100C5 compatibility in Nvidia Inspector, can't help if you're on ATI though. :( It seems to do a fairly decent job, with 32xCSAA the jaggies are mostly gone.

thanks!

gonna try the forcing DX11 option though

Top Bottom