• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock of Ages |OT|: Rock Beats Everything. Even Def Leppard.

Fitz

That sucks, DX11 mode seems to be working ok for me. Even on 16x the AA still isn't fantastic, but it's far better than nothing.

Salsa

Colkate said:
I managed to force AA using the 0x000100C5 compatibility in Nvidia Inspector, can't help if you're on ATI though. :( It seems to do a fairly decent job, with 32xCSAA the jaggies are mostly gone.

This helps, but for some reason it makes the motion blur go INSANE, lol. Its making me go sickkk.

And yeah dont know why DX11 doesnt seem to work for me atm but its apparently fairly common.

Also, the AI is definetly busted atm (at least sometimes), i just got the "bug" where the enemy keeps rolling back and forward in a random area without anything near it.

I trust in the devs to patch it soon though.

Viva Chile!

Micerider

Colkate said:
That sucks, DX11 mode seems to be working ok for me. Even on 16x the AA still isn't fantastic, but it's far better than nothing.

Did you have to force it or is it detected automatically by the game?

Can't wait for this evening, I have Monthy Python good vibes about this game.

Fitz

Micerider said:
Did you have to force it or is it detected automatically by the game?

Both work for me. First I forced it using Nvidia Inspector, then I set it through the game config file using the method in the link above, both work fine for me, although using the game config seems problematic for many at the moment.

Turnstyle

I purchased this on XBLA after watching the GiantBomb first look.

Really enjoyed it, finished it last night. The last 'boss' is great!

My only gripe is that it's a little too easy. Maybe I'm just brilliant at rolling rocks down hills, but I rarely failed a level. In fact, towards the end I didn't even bother setting up defences, as I knew I could always out-roll the opponent and reach the end of the level before them. Three times.

Also, I got the impression it was impossible to die on the boss stages?

I feel guilty pointing these things out, because I did really enjoy the game. I'm looking forward to any DLC that comes out.

Ok, question about the keys. Do you have to win the level to keep the keys you pick up on a level? Or can you pick up the keys, lose/quit out, and keep the keys?

Volcynika

Turnstyle said:
I purchased this on XBLA after watching the GiantBomb first look.

Really enjoyed it, finished it last night. The last 'boss' is great!

My only gripe is that it's a little too easy. Maybe I'm just brilliant at rolling rocks down hills, but I rarely failed a level. In fact, towards the end I didn't even bother setting up defences, as I knew I could always out-roll the opponent and reach the end of the level before them. Three times.

Also, I got the impression it was impossible to die on the boss stages?

I feel guilty pointing these things out, because I did really enjoy the game. I'm looking forward to any DLC that comes out.

Ok, question about the keys. Do you have to win the level to keep the keys you pick up on a level? Or can you pick up the keys, lose/quit out, and keep the keys?

My rock was breaking apart on a boss, didn't know if I'd eventually die though.

Keys you only need once. I remember losing a battle, and I didn't have to get keys I had already gotten on that stage.

Dascu said:
The scene with Da Vinci is simply hilarious.
Yeah it is. I like how
Sisyphus just gets bored and leaves.

Volcynika said:
Keys you only need once. I remember losing a battle, and I didn't have to get keys I had already gotten on that stage.
Not only that but you can actually quit the match right after you find a key and it'll record it being found (even though it gives you a scary message about losing your progress.)

flkk

Neo Member
Turnstyle said:
My only gripe is that it's a little too easy. Maybe I'm just brilliant at rolling rocks down hills, but I rarely failed a level. In fact, towards the end I didn't even bother setting up defences, as I knew I could always out-roll the opponent and reach the end of the level before them. Three times.?

Agreed..

After the first 2 levels I throught 'hmm these defences seem kind of pointless, wonder how far I can get without ever using any again' and now I'm at Paris, never had to restart a level so far.

What's the point of them anyways? To add a couple seconds to the enemy's clock? So what?

And what does it matter how hard you hit the enemy's doors... seems like no matter what, the match is always over after 3 boulders, regardless of whether they were 3 ultra-fast or average speed boulders.

Feels poorly balanced.

flkk said:
Agreed..

After the first 2 levels I throught 'hmm these defences seem kind of pointless, wonder how far I can get without ever using any again' and now I'm at Paris, never had to restart a level so far.

What's the point of them anyways? To add a couple seconds to the enemy's clock? So what?

And what does it matter how hard you hit the enemy's doors... seems like no matter what, the match is always over after 3 boulders, regardless of whether they were 3 ultra-fast or average speed boulders.

Feels poorly balanced.
Placing your own defenses tend to be fairly pointless but I know one level in particular I was actually behind the AI and as a last ditch effort I went nuts in one area with defenses and it slowed the AI so much I easily caught up and won the match on the third ball.

The damage you do to the enemy gate is also largely changed by the damage to your boulder. Your boulder has three layers before being destroyed completely. So for every third of your "health" you're one particular size. The smaller you are the less damage you'll do. It's not a huge difference and odds are even if you shed a layer or two you'll still end up taking it out in three hits but in later levels with bigger explosives and catapults you might actually see that you deal less damage due to layers breaking off. Same can happen to the AI. I never took more than three hits to a gate but I had the AI hit me twice in one of the later levels but I had damaged it so much each time I still had half my gate's health after two hits.

And the boulder layers are the same on bosses. Fall, bounce around, and get hit by enough stuff and you'll notice the layers start to break. Go through all three and you'll break and have to start over.

fallout

Wibblewozzer said:
Have to say the AI is fantastic at being an asshole at placing its units, though.
Yeah, in the short amount I played, it gave me some pretty good pointers on where to place stuff.

Dascu

Beat the singleplayer campaign just now.

It's a rather short game, though reasonable length for its price, and I have not checked out the multiplayer. The game play sort of gets repetitive. Your own defenses only sometimes make a substantial difference. I'd say it really depends on the level. On a couple of levels, I could really lock down a particular section of the map and slow the AI down so much that he only got 2 hits in on my gate, whereas I was already breaking through with my third ball.

I really love the visuals, the style, the jokes and the reference to other games/popular media. Also loved the boss fights, though the last one took me some time;
around halfway, the part where you need to make a long jump and he does a backhand swipe at you always took me a few tries

I also liked the "Thank you for playing" message at the end. Props to ACE Team on another lovely original game.

Personally I found the elephants with the towers on their backs did a good job at harassing the computer long enough for me to win.

Anyone else experiencing crashes left and right? I'm trying to play multiplayer with a friend but every other round or so the game crashes either for me or for him. Annoying.

Oh, and sometimes he can't build at all (I'm hosting).

Jo-El

There are quite a lot of levels in this. I figured I would be finished by now. This game is a lot of fun :D

WEGGLES

Anyone getting where it thinks you're still holding buttons or something after a restart? :\

It requires me to quit and restart. Really fucking annoying.

Gaspode_T

Supporting a tiny dev studio in Santiago, Chile seems like about the most love you can give to the indie scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_Team

In 1999 ACE Team released its first official mod Batman DOOM for Doom II. [2]
Slightly after Edmundo Bordeu created the mod ZanZan for Doom II. [3]

In early 2002 ACE Team released the only single player mod created for Quake III named The Dark Conjunction. [4]

During 2002 ACE Team was created as a legal company and entity. During this year and 2003, ACE Team worked on a never released demo of a game named Zenozoik using the Jupiter System formerly based on Lithtech. This demo was the predecessor and starting point for the creation of ACE Team's game Zeno Clash. [5]

In 2004 key members of ACE Team, Andres Bordeu and Carlos Bordeu were hired by Wanako Games and helped develop the company until Vivendi Universal acquired Wanako in early 2007.

In mid-2007, Andres Bordeu, Carlos Bordeu, Edmundo Bordeu and David Caloguerea independently reinstated the company. These four members were the founders of ACE Team as it began operating as a functional independent game studio.

On 21st April 2009, ACE Team released its Source engine powered game: Zeno Clash

On 19th May 2009, ACE Team announced Zeno Clash 2, a sequel to their popular game Zeno Clash

Salsa

I have a photo with one of the devs somewhere, from like 2 years ago, at some party with my brother and a bunch of people.

i should really look for it

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Good for them, I have some friends working at ACE team, will check this later.

Congratulations guys, great job, and great reviews.

Volcynika

Steam version got a small update

The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

- Fixed crashes in online game sessions and when creating and joining matches.
- Updated the 'Quick match' option so that it searches for games for 20 seconds before timing out.
- Updated the 'Custom match' option so that it searches for available games in real-time.

*** Unfortunately due to a technical issue we had to re-cook a lot of data (this is an Unreal Engine thing) and the patch is around 500mb... :( ...sorry about that guys - we shouldn't have this problem again in future updates.

Next week we will start working on 1.02... this should include the Steam Cloud saving problem (people losing their progress) and other stuff. Our updates will not necessarily only be bug fixes (they can also include new feature or improvements), so stay tuned!

Cyrillus

I'm still on the fence about getting this game. I'm certainly intrigued by it. I mean, I really don't know what it's about or what it plays like, but it looks like a Monty Python skit threw up all over it, and that kind of turns me on.

I'm sooo looking forward to the game's PSN release. The Monty Python vibe is definitely cool, and I'm always up for playing something wildly different.

Salsa

Cyrillus said:
I'm still on the fence about getting this game. I'm certainly intrigued by it. I mean, I really don't know what it's about or what it plays like, but it looks like a Monty Python skit threw up all over it, and that kind of turns me on.

watch this

shows exactly what it is

JesseZao said:
I regret not biting on the 600pt sale of zeno clash. Hopefully it goes on sale again.
Isn't it ordinarily only 800 points? That's not that big of a difference. $10 is a small price to pay for what I can pretty safely bet will be the strangest video game experience of your life.

Cyrillus said:
Basically it's Terry Gilliam style cutscenes + Super Monkey Ball/Marble Blast controls and gameplay + light tower defense + racing.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The closest thing to an Odama sequel I'll ever get, and yes I'm fully aware all that is different and unique, so I was sold right away. I expected something good at least, to be amused by the style and art jokes if nothing else, but the game play is just brilliant all on it's own.

Only tried a bit of it thus far, but I'm already in love. Hopefully the PSN version has plenty of people playing online. If not, I'll buy it on Steam.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PC port is giving me serious issues.

In windowed mode, it runs perfectly with the highest detail settings (60 fps, no slowdown), but in fullscreen mode, the framerate drops well under 30 fps regardless of detail settings. Running an ATI card here.

Anyone else encounter this issue?

AEREC

So what's the verdict on platform...PC or Console?

This game seems like it would be better with pad support but Ive read the PC version doesnt fully support the 360 pad.

I like Steam better than XBL but if this plays better on the 360 then I may just get it for that and wait for a sale on Steam (which is more likely).

Does the console version have any framerate issues?

Firebrand

flkk said:
Agreed..

Feels poorly balanced.
I found defenses got a little more useful later on as you get more toys, and there's more narrow passages and shortcuts you need to block off. But yeah, it definitely doesn't feel very balanced.

I wouldn't mind an "Advanced" mode that adds all the toys right from the start, add some more "bright" zones to put them in, and increase the HP of doors so that's the size of your boulder as you hit the door matters more and it's not always 3 hits.

Firebrand

AEREC said:

This game seems like it would be better with pad support but Ive read the PC version doesnt fully support the 360 pad.
Pad works as it should in-game, just not in menus (yet). No rumble though, which is a bit disappointing, I think that would add a lot to the feel.

I wouldn't say the defensive part of the game poorly balanced. The goal of your obstacles is just to slow down your enemy as much as possible, not stop or destroy them (like in a traditional tower defense game.)

I've definitely watched on the little screen on the top right as the enemy AI got battered around by my elephants or knocked off the edge by my wind machines, that's how I know my defenses were working.

JesseZao

AEREC said:

I think the advantage the PC version would have is during the defense phase, since it's a lot more efficient/accurate to place things with a mouse. Other than that, I love it on 360.

Anthropic

I've been having a lot of fun playing the PC version of Rock of Ages.

It speaks to the success of this game's design that it feels so natural. On paper a Super Monkey Ball/Tower Defense hybrid sounds like it should be a mess, but this game makes it seem natural, like people have been making these games for years.

The only complaint is that this game works so well I wish there were more game modes...Like a more defensively oriented mode.

But as it is, at this price, this is brilliant.

Ionic

I love how incredibly good every single boss looked. Damn, they have such fantastic modelers and animators.

WEGGLES

WOW

The bosses are awful. Or the first one is. TERRIBLE. Not fun. Not hard. Just something in the way of the fun of the game.

I went from "Ugh, what do I need to do? Straight at it doesn't work. Hanging in close just gets me pushed away..." to beating it in 3 seconds because I got stuck under it and my speakers nearly exploded. :S

OnPoint

Fed up with trying to get the last set of keys. Maybe someone can point something out I've overlooked.

The one
floating above the ramp
on the last stage is the one specifically that I could use a tip on.

All in all it was a fun game. Unique in every regard.

OnPoint said:
Fed up with trying to get the last set of keys. Maybe someone can point something out I've overlooked.

The one
floating above the ramp
on the last stage is the one specifically that I could use a tip on.

All in all it was a fun game. Unique in every regard.
It's been a few weeks or whatever since I got it but from what I recall it was a matter of rolling as fast as I could towards the right lifted section of ground at the very base of the ramp and jumping at precisely the moment of hitting the edge of that little lifted section to pop me up really high. Now I could be wrong and it might have been the left ledge I used but I do know that the method is pretty much the same regardless. You can try buying the wings to help with height/location but I don't believe I actually used it the time I finally got the key.

Any others? I collected them all awhile back.

Top Bottom