• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolajNN

imo backwards driving is the biggest thing separating good players from great players. aerial shots are of a similar importance, but being able to flip the right direction even when going backwards will allow you to always be hitting the ball toward the other side of the court; they are the biggest diff when i play games against guys that are scrappy and hard to score against vs people who are just able to put up goals but can't make their car do a useful maneuver from anywhere like backwards and flip masters can

But it seems like such a hard thing to practice since it's not really a skill as such, like aerials, it's more of a mental thing

imo backwards driving is the biggest thing separating good players from great players. aerial shots are of a similar importance, but being able to flip the right direction even when going backwards will allow you to always be hitting the ball toward the other side of the court; they are the biggest diff when i play games against guys that are scrappy and hard to score against vs people who are just able to put up goals but can't make their car do a useful maneuver from anywhere like backwards and flip masters can

Yea I've been noticing vast improvement in my defense especially. It's also a great thing to do when the ball is driving downfield from mid to be able to not lose sight of it while doing a quick mid air 180 into reverse. Still a bit sloppy when making wider turns towards the ball but it's getting there.

The feeling of backflipping downfield is great too. So fast!

Azriell

I've only played twice now, and today was my first time going online. I'm amazed at how much depth this game has. Today I just learned about double tapping X lets you easily pull off barrel rolls which is great for ball control, and flips, which is useful for gaining speed. Also just saw on the previous page (or two) that Team Rocket has released a tips video. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day watching YT vids to learn some more tips.

Best tip I can give is get used to both standard cam and ball cam. I've started using both and it's just opened up so much to me, much easier to adjust to the ball.

Bad team mates are a legitimate reason. If you're teamed with someone bad in 2v2 you already know you're not going to lose more than one or two points and hard carrying someone so a bad player can have an inflated rank rating is a waste of time.

You get good practice for your ball hogging skills though!
Bad players may one day become good ones. Be a role model and show them how the game is played. Carry them if needed but give them every opportunity. Sometimes you carry the team, sometimes they carry you.

Hopeford

I...I think I may have a problem. Every time I turn on my ps4 I think "Alright, gonna start Bloodborne for the first time!"

Then I see that I still have Rocket League suspended and go play that instead. This has been going on for like a full week.

I am having the same issue Dan Ryckert seems to be having where my car will just do things automatically, like drive in circles or start reversing. Sometimes without me even touching the controls. I don't know if it's my controller or the game.

I do hope its implemented good, it would be pretty bad to get a penalty for a sever drop (of which I've had numerous today)..

That would be a small price to pay to slow down quitting.

I am having the same issue Dan Ryckert seems to be having where my car will just do things automatically, like drive in circles or start reversing. Sometimes without me even touching the controls. I don't know if it's my controller or the game.

First I've heard of this. I would try another controller.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it Sweet Tooth? Win a match with every car, or play with every car. Think there's a disconnect.

Thanks. I've unlocked everything now. Now the only trophy I need is the distance traveled one. I'm just gonna hope that eventually unlocks by itself after they patch it so it records that for online play.

Predwolf

Getting a little annoyed at being goal-sniped by teammates, and for amazing saves not falling within the designated "save zone".

The game also needs to hand out more points to playmakers, the guys who play midfield and set up all these wonderful goals that make the highlight reels.

Getting a little annoyed at being goal-sniped by teammates, and for amazing saves not falling within the designated "save zone".

The game also needs to hand out more points to playmakers, the guys who play midfield and set up all these wonderful goals that make the highlight reels.
you mean you think your teammates are stealing your goals and you end up with assists?

I do hope its implemented good, it would be pretty bad to get a penalty for a sever drop (of which I've had numerous today)..

Indeed. I'm not sure how robust it would be, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd take a minor inconvenience if it curbed this problem somewhat.

That 100% reads as "it will not be in the next update."

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm fine with them letting it bake for a while if it needs time to work as intended.

IISANDERII

Hey my team lost a player and we're in the middle of the tournament, can anybody fill in? My PSN ID is Sander1887, just send me a friend request and we can sort out the details like when our next match is.

The Cowboy

One of the best multiplayer games ever!!! But online is still jacked up. But I don't care

I have to agree, when it works (when there are no server issues) its right up there with the likes of Quake 3 Arena/Unreal Tournament 99 in how perfect its setup for online MP - everything is just setup so nicely.

Penalties for quitting in a video game is such a dumb idea. The concept sounds great, but people play games to have gun, not to always engage in super competitive matches. If people decide to do something else then don't penalize them.

Plus, the only thing that this will do is cause even more idlers.

Those people should stick to exhibition then. Ranked mode is for competitive play and since there is no bot support in ranked that is where it's an issue. Nobody cares if you quit in exhibition.

Is it possible to have a ps4/steam party in one lobby? How do you invite someone on another platform?
It is not.

Derp

Penalties for quitting in a video game is such a dumb idea. The concept sounds great, but people play games to have fun, not to always engage in super competitive matches. If people decide to do something else then don't penalize them.

You do realise it's only for ranked right?

Penalties for quitting in a video game is such a dumb idea. The concept sounds great, but people play games to have fun, not to always engage in super competitive matches. If people decide to do something else then don't penalize them.

Conversely, the childish action of taking your ball and going home ruins the fun for other players. There is an element of being mindful of the other people you're engaging with, even though it's being abstracted to a large degree by playing with anonymized randoms on the other side of the internet. I get that you're looking out for you and your own, but being a shitlord and bailing early because something doesn't go your way deserves getting a digital tut-tut as well.

GAF! I need fucking help argh.

So I got into Rocket League a few days ago and damn is it fun. But I just encountered someone in ranked play who was the first person I felt like I could've beaten but his strategy I just couldn't counter.

Every time I got the ball anywhere on his side he'd just sit and play defense in his goal. Is the only counter to this to just sit in my goal and play defense too? Talking about 1v1 here in 2v2 this pretty much doesn't work.

J Range

Anybody know why my custom messages won't appear? I can only communicate via the directional messages...

EDIT: Exploratory- if he just sits in his goal, line up a shot and boost into it. That usually will send it airborne and it's way harder to block than if you just hit it on the ground.

Unicorn

Why do points matter so much?

Vire

Just penalize them for ranked, not public play.

You also say that it'll cause more idlers, the game already boots people who idle after around 20 seconds. I had to go pee once and we were up 5-0 and when I came back I was booted out of the game.

So I got into Rocket League a few days ago and damn is it fun. But I just encountered someone in ranked play who was the first person I felt like I could've beaten but his strategy I just couldn't counter.

Every time I got the ball anywhere on his side he'd just sit and play defense in his goal. Is the only counter to this to just sit in my goal and play defense too? Talking about 1v1 here in 2v2 this pretty much doesn't work.

Gonna have to outplay him. It will come with skill as you learn to do some rebound shots off walls, drive balls on the wall, bit aerials, etc.

There are too many scenarios where his lack of offense will hurt him. Just keep playing and improving

Youre right. People play to have fun

Quitters ruin that fun. They absolutely deserve to be punished.

DBT85

Thanks. I think I'm going to stop using sleep mode. There seems to be so many problems with various games because of it.

Once they've sorted this one I'll be using it non stop. It's so nice booting up and being there ready to go in Rocket League.

Gonna have to outplay him. It will come with skill as you learn to do some rebound shots off walls, drive balls on the wall, bit aerials, etc.

There are too many scenarios where his lack of offense will hurt him. Just keep playing and improving

I felt like I couldn't. In real basketball or soccer I could use dribble moves to break down a defender. I can't really juke in Rocket League. Any tutorials on how to beat someone doing that?

Try hitting the ball along the wall so it drops in front of the goal. Then boost in for the shot. A little risky since you'll be out of position if you miss.

Easier way would be to take shots a little further out where you hit the ball above him or towards the top corners. Don't dodge into the shot. If you do it'll be along the ground and he can easily hit it back over you towards your goal. Instead try to go above him. Even if he flies to make the save, he could be out of position to defend the rebound.

RyanDG

I felt like I couldn't. In real basketball or soccer I could use dribble moves to break down a defender. I can't really juke in Rocket League. Any tutorials on how to beat someone doing that?

Dribble moves and juking are definitely possible. I don't know if someone has a video or not, but if you go into practice mode free play, you can really focus on how you can guide the ball different directions really easy. If he's not aggressively playing the ball and sitting back, you should be able to get him to bite one direction with one of the moves and then do a quick adjustment to hit it the other direction.

DBT85

One option is to keep destroying him when he does it.

Yeah, I have similar problems too playing against this style. He ended up beating me 2-1. He would wait for an opening and then long shot the ball the entire way down the court. Don't think he spent more than 30 seconds on my side of the field.

Couldn't figure out a good way to build moment and get the ball aerial since he just camped in the goal the whole time. Frustrating. Gotta figure it out.

It's for Ranked which is for people to play competitively. If "people decide to do something else" because the other team just scored, that's called being a poor sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom