• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauaus

Could we maybe pay to disable the ads? I think the arenas are too pretty for them.

Edit: Instead of posting again, here is one of my favorite highlights from my first 24 hours with Rocket League. The opposing team quit after I quickly scored a second goal.

KdYbkq.gif

Seconded. I'm okay with the ads, but I'd much rather pay a flat fee and remove them permanently.

This game is waaaaay to frantic for me to even notice there are ads... are there ads?

Willectro

Banned
I'm incredibly sick of people with 200+ ping. Wtf is that? My hate for people with crappy connections is almost balanced by my love for Rocket League. Fuck the lag, why is it my problem that you are on dial up or a mile away from your wireless connection. Fuck.

Spec Mode, Online tourney, Twitch I think the adspace can be very valuable for them down the line. I doubt selling a way to remove them will make them very valuable to possible advertisers.

Vire

Ugh... that ad stuff is bumming me out. Ruining the beautiful game. ;_;

Throwing ads at people who already paid full price for the game on PC is especially ugh. Don't like this, don't like this one bit.

Throwing ads at people who already paid full price for the game on PC is especially ugh. Don't like this, don't like this one bit.

Honestly, if they get GOOD servers on more regions, Im okay with ads.

A one time 20 dollar purchase isn't going to cover dedicated servers long term. This is a fitting and pretty clever way of making some money on the side.

Can not wait for spec mode.

Same. Being able to watch from any angle is pretty great. I'm hoping we can spectate friends as well as high level ranked matches from a "Watch menu" or something. In game Tournament spectating would be awesome too but so few games have actually done that I'd imagine it's kind of difficult.

Think of how Rocket League makes money vs other games though.

Most online games have map DLC, cosmetics, and gun DLC. Games like DOTA are successful because they are F2P, have 1 main map, and make a ton off of whatever they make money off of. The genre there is incredibly popular and backed by Valve.

The ads are sensible. Psyonix can't charge for maps, or better vehicles. That's a huge revenue source that they have to make elsewhere. Perfectly fine with banner ads.

Who cares. You're not even going to notice when flying around.

The Cowboy

oh wow. this real?

guess im in for whatever makes the dev more money if it's this unobtrusive..

I love the game, but i'm gonna say this - if this is real and in game adverts like this are in game, i'll be dropping the game instantly.

I will never support this kind of in game advertising, if they want to do this then release the game for free and allow people who buy the game to disable them.

The Cowboy

That's really stupid.
You say its stupid, i say its a matter of principle.

When i bought the game i did not see it on the store page saying i would get banner adverts around the play field in game, i don't care if people are happy to put up with this crap - I'm not and i never will be.

I'm OK with it in free games, i am not OK with it in a game i paid for.

valeo

The ads kind of bum me out when I paid $20 for the game. I can understand the PS4 owners who got it for free not caring, and if it was a f2p game I would have no issue. I feel like I'm marketed at 99% of the time, I don't like to be marketed to when I'm playing a product I've purchased.

I'm not a huge stickler for this sort of thing, and I kind of knew it would happen, but it just seems a bit skeezy.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
You say its stupid, i say its a matter of principle.

When i bought the game i did not see it on the store page saying i would get banner adverts around the play field in game, i don't care if people are happy to put up with this crap - I'm not and i never will be.

I'm OK with it in free games, i am not OK with it in a game i paid for.

I can only assume you have never paid to see a movie or watched pay TV then.

Gandalf

Just need the Far Far Away trophy for another shiny Platinum... So far I've clocked up 80km on one set of tires. I heard it was bugged and should unlock after about 60-65km (even though the trophy requirement states to drive 500km+) Sorry if it's been answered a bajilion times... But anyone else having issues with it?

Salsa

won 2 matches with the same 3 people team. One 6-0, other 7-0

typed "pretty good random team right here!" on team chat after winning the second

lost 3-0 next game

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Cowboy

I can only assume you have never paid to see a movie or watched pay TV then.

I don't care how people want to spin this, if they had planned to do this then it should have been made very clear to buyers (i would not have paid for this if i had knew this was getting these sort of adverts)..

As it is confirmed real, my refund request has been put in.

If your OK with the adverts in game like this then good for you (and anyone else), but i am not OK with this and if it was planned from the get go, they should have made sure to tell us before hand.
---
You made a great game Psyonix, easily one of the best MP games I've played in a long time - but i will not support this.

I don't care how people want to spin this, if they had planned to do this then it should have been made very clear to buyers (i would not have paid for this if i had knew this was getting these sort of adverts)..

As it is confirmed real, my refund request has been put in.

If your OK with the adverts in game like this then good for you (and anyone else), but i am not OK with this and if it was planned from the get go, they should have made sure to tell us before hand.
---
You made a great game Psyonix, easily one of the best MP games I've played in a long time - but i will not support this.

It's an arena soccer game, I can understand the principle bit but it's completely overblown in this context since the advertisements fit and go to help fund dedicated servers which is something I don't think many independent developers let alone major publishers put in their titles.

I hope the negative feedback doesn't sway Psyonix in any way. These fit.

Vire

I think where Psyonix fucked up is introducing the ads a month out from the game launch. If the game launched with the ads, there would have been an expectation in place that this is just the way the game is.

Now all the sudden you are taking something that someone paid for and "lowering" the perceived quality.

I think where Psyonix fucked up is introducing the ads a month out from the game launch. If the game launched with the ads, there would have been an expectation in place that this is just the way the game is.

Now all the sudden you are taking something that someone paid for and "lowering" the perceived quality.

It's on Reddit but the vast majority of comments are in support and very few are against. I doubt this will ever be a large outrage.

People said on the beta it said "Advertisements" instead of rocket league as well.

look at all the billboards everywhere. I guess this was kinda obvious and it wasn't till the game blew up completely that it maybe became viable advertising.

The Cowboy

It's on Reddit but the vast majority of comments are in support and very few are against. I doubt this will ever be a large outrage.

It won't be and with good reason (its not EA/Ubisoft and its a very good game), i know full well I'm in the minority on my issue with this and as said, if people are OK with it then good for them.

I just think this should have been made very clear from day 1, so those of us who don't like this sort of thing could vote with out wallets.

Ferrio

Banned

On reflection it's kinda obvious they were headed that way, even had the placeholder placards.

Ravager61

Is the game super laggy for anyone else on ps4 today? My ping is good but I'm consistently getting laggy matches. Seems like a server problem?

I don't think the ads are obstructive. Theres banners when I watch football matches or play football games and it has never been distracting.

Developers deserve the money too.

It won't be and with good reason (its not EA/Ubisoft and its a very good game), i know full well I'm in the minority on my issue with this and as said, if people are OK with it then good for them.

I just think this should have been made very clear from day 1, so those of us who don't like this sort of thing could vote with out wallets.
Yeah I guess they figured it was a bit obvious given the enormous amount of billboards placed against around the world but it would have staved off some of the backlash.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Fake ad banners = ok
Real ad banners = bad

??

Not sure I see the issue here, who is taking the time to stop and read the ads anyways?

wowzors

If they are doing fake ads I would like them to be futuristic. I prefer they do real ads as its more immersive for me.

So I don't have any problems with it, makes it better honestly. They get some well deserved money thrown their way.

BShadowJ

When the beta was on and there were placeholder "Advertisement" stuff on there, I totally expected this to happen. And I'm ok with it, since it's in a spot that's barely noticeable. But I do understand that people can and will be annoyed by it.

Could we maybe pay to disable the ads? I think the arenas are too pretty for them.

This however is a great idea imo. Especially since ad revenue tends to be paltry at best, so even a $5 "no ads" unlock would probably be more than they might get from ad revenue the entire life of a single player.

It's only free for this month!?!?! WHAT. Dammit....

If you're talking about getting the game with PS+, it's yours to keep. It's only free for this month, but once you "buy" it, it's yours forever (aka as long as you have a Plus subscription).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think the 5 new paint types is definitely my most anticipated thing from the DLC pack. Finding it really difficult to find a car with a colour scheme that works in both blue and orange.

They really need to add car load outs you can save and apply or at the least customize blue and orange individually.

Wait people are upset about ads in the banners, that most likely never knew existed and fit the aesthetic of the game, but are ok with flags that are even more blatant advertisement?

I think it is a ridiculous thing to get upset about, as it fits the aesthetic of the game perfectly. They are unobtrusive as well.

Nesther

Any news on fixing the tracking? Or is it supposed to track your mileage only in exhibition mode?
I mainly play online, would be bothersome to grind out offline just for that trophy.

Any news on fixing the tracking? Or is it supposed to track your mileage only in exhibition mode?
I mainly play online, would be bothersome to grind out offline just for that trophy.

There's a fixer patch that is supposed to be coming before the DLC patch that fixes a few things including that.

xJavonta

Banned
Starting to get a grasp on flying. Still can't fly across the map, but on occasion I can save a goal or make one from flying and it feels GREAT. So gratifying.

However I still need to work on my timing. Sometimes I'm too early and miss the ball completely. That also goes for front flips when I'm trying to score a goal. That feels shitty :/

I love the game, but i'm gonna say this - if this is real and in game adverts like this are in game, i'll be dropping the game instantly.

I will never support this kind of in game advertising, if they want to do this then release the game for free and allow people who buy the game to disable them.
Oh my fucking god are you serious lmao. This white knighting over some jpg files on the wall of an arena is ridiculous. I'm guessing you don't watch cable? Or go to the movies? Chill out.

I'm getting crazy input lag on PS4 all of a sudden and it's even effecting exhibition and the main menu. The delay is well over a second and it fucks with the left stick so bad driving is impossible.

The PS4 gets really loud at the same time as well. It's in a well ventilated area and none of the other games I play are having any problems.

I hope it fixes itself or I could delete and reinstall the game. It sucks not being able to play!

Lunar FC

When I first saw the 'advertisement' banner in the beta I was hoping maybe they were going to do some fake in world advertisements for the stadiums. Then for the retail release they just put the name of the game which seemed boring and useless.

I'm not against putting real ads in the game, but just how poorly implemented that one is just makes it look bleh. Put some work into making them fit the game and id be cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom