• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God I would rage so hard if that happened to me. I know it's a valid tactic but nothing pisses me off more than a player on the other team that just goes after the "keeper".

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Yeah whenever a guy starts letting it be known that hes gonna try to blow up the goal keeper(read: me) I always stay perfectly still and just hop over him and he ends up flying around the back of the goal and tumbling. :p

One of my favourite things about this game is that no matter how much experience you have, once Panic Mode activates, you just become hilariously incompetent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGy3NLtqG0

Jeez that first part was making me squirm because it happens so often. Dat panic!

spyder_ur

Holy Cow I love this game, but was the lag absolutely abysmal for anybody else last night? I had maybe 3 or 4 games out of 15 or so where I didn't see the plug icon at some point in the match.

I'm not one to generally complain a ton about lag in games, but when the ball and my car starts teleporting around it makes me actually feel a little sick.

Holy Cow I love this game, but was the lag absolutely abysmal for anybody else last night? I had maybe 3 or 4 games out of 15 or so where I didn't see the plug icon at some point in the match.

I'm not one to generally complain a ton about lag in games, but when the ball and my car starts teleporting around it makes me actually feel a little sick.

Yeah, I noticed a bit more last night than usual. I usually play on east and west coast servers, though, so I limited it to just east coast servers (being in Philly) and I was fine.

Yeah whenever a guy starts letting it be known that hes gonna try to blow up the goal keeper(read: me) I always stay perfectly still and just hop over him and he ends up flying around the back of the goal and tumbling. :p

And then the next time he jumps just like you do and you go back to swearing at how unfair it is that people can mess with poor little old you. :p

Regardless of that though, if it's well timed just making you jump can be exactly what is needed to make you fail a save.

v1lla21

Yeah, lag was party bad for me last night too. I kept on getting placed on US East servers when I'm in the West coast. Even when I'd change it to US West only I would still not be able to find anything. It didn't start working properly until late night.

Unicorn

Yo, coolcole93, can one of the tutorial videos detail hitboxes and properties of hits? I have a vague idea of the hit box shape for cars but the velocity and direction changes on the ball confuse me a lot. Like, how does a barrel roll, hood smack, undercarriage, etc. all affect trajectories?

And then the next time he jumps just like you do and you go back to swearing at how unfair it is that people can mess with poor little old you. :p

Regardless of that though, if it's well timed just making you jump can be exactly what is needed to make you fail a save.

You could also side-dodge. Though honestly, I don't really get the eagerness to camp in goal, except perhaps in 4v4. When I'm back defending, I'll come back into the goal temporarily, but I've learned to be on the lookout for attackers--mostly to see where the ball could be hit from. If a goalie is watching the play develop, they should be able to get into good position even if harassed by an opponent.

The general learning pattern of spatial awareness in this game tends to mirror real life sports. Starting from just locating the ball and rushing it, to learning where your teammates are, to understanding the angles and force of the ball's bounces, to learning where the opponents are and predicting how they might strike and defend. Putting that one last since people still tend to be ball-focused until they start seeing the entire field--something I'm still working on as well!

hymanator

The funniest games are when someone calls someone else a "noob" or says "my team/teammate sucks" and they immediately do something stupid like score on their own goal or fail miserably in an instant replay soon after. They rage quit every time.

ErichWK

1370068960188798126.gif

Posted form a Kotaku review

The funniest games are when someone calls someone else a "noob" or says "my team/teammate sucks" and they immediately do something stupid like score on their own goal or fail miserably in an instant replay soon after. They rage quit every time.

Yep. 100% of the people who have called someone a "noob" on my team are the first ones to quit, typically after one goal. If someone gets abusive to me any my teammates on chat, and doesn't immediately rage quit, I just keep ramming them until they do. Fuck toxic players. You want to act like a child, I will treat you like one.

So apparently:

Solo 3v3 Ranked will be gone when the new DLC hits.

Party 3v3 Ranked will replace it.

It will work like 2v2 Ranked: You can matchmake alone, just like in 2v2 Ranked.

The thing here is that Solo 3v3 Ranked was the only playlist where parties were totally banned, ensuring everyone was a random player.

The reason: Too many playlists if they added 3v3 Team Ranked + kept 3v3 Solo Ranked

I am totally okay with this playing out like 2v2 Ranked though, but some people are likely going to be upset that they can't play a mode that has no parties.

Hasney

That's a bugger, I like to jump on and play and been digging 3v3 since I can't get matched with parties like doubles and I like not playing casual because bots. Might end up limiting my playtime a bit.

I mean I get it, I probably am a minority, but I like to jump on for one or two games so I don't usually bug people to play with me. It appeared at launch that in doubles, the matchmaking tried to match you with non partied players first, so if that could be done then fell back to parties, that would be the best way.

That's a bugger, I like to jump on and play and been digging 3v3 since I can't get matched with parties like doubles and I like not playing casual because bots. Might end up limiting my playtime a bit.

I mean I get it, I probably am a minority, but I like to jump on for one or two games so I don't usually bug people to play with me. It appeared at launch that in doubles, the matchmaking tried to match you with non partied players first, so if that could be done then fell back to parties, that would be the best way.

3v3 Ranked was terrible with quitters, but I feel as if it's improved now with the penalty.

I think most parties will move to ranked and free up non-ranked for solo players.

Do you think non-ranked 3v3 being solo-only would be better, while forcing parties to play in ranked? I think non-ranked 3v3 will probably be the go-to solo mode, with rarer instances of parties, but it is interesting that we no longer have a playlist that bans parties.

Salsa

so the servers are in bad shape now right? been worse lately. also gettin consistent 250+ ping rather than the 150+ I ussually get

bargeparty

I think from what you're describing you're doing the wrong order.

To flip, you first jump, then you press a direction on the stick (the one you want to flip to) and jump again.

This shit just happened to me again. I was stationary, ball coming at my left side. I jumped once hit left on the stick, jumped again and I fucking flipped forward. Cost us the game.

Sephzilla

So why do people talk shit with 40 points no shots no assists no saves.....

There are a lot of important things you can do in a game that don't net you points.

On that note I feel that everyone on the team should get points if a goal is scored. More points should go to the actual scorer, obviously, but everyone getting some points for it is more incentive for teamwork instead of a bunch of randoms trying to steal goals from you.

theaface

Just got the platinum trophy a short time ago. Excellent game, and one of the best PS+ offerings in recent memory.

I think a game like Rocket League serves as a tinely reminder that sometimes a no-frills, well-designed experience can really prove that less is more. Lately I've seen a lot of AAA games bloated with 'content' (e.g. Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, AssCreed, upcoming Fallout 4) and I can't help but think they could learn something from RL's singular focus on an entertaining experience, rather than just giving the player 'stuff' to do.

Can someone explain how ranked matches work? I started on rank 734 today, lost a game because two of my teammates quit, which put my rank to 740 then won the next game and ended up at rank 697...Really confused by this.

Yep, people are pretty upset on Reddit that they are removing non-party 3v3.

But they'll probably add it back or improve it the patch after since they made it clear that they hear the feedback.

IMO, they should also combine 1v1 Ranked and Nonranked. It's a competitive mode to begin with, why have two playlists?

Haunted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom