• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played almost nothing but ranked solo 3v3 and I love it. Had good performances and bad ones but it's still fun and I like trying to improve my personal rating.

Quitters can be annoying but I don't sweat it too much. Had a game last night where a teamate quit after we went down 3-0 pretty quickly. My other teamate stuck around though and we came back and won 4-3 and that was awesome.

Had another where something similar happened and we lost 5-1. It happens but I just view that kind of stuff as a different kind of challenge to overcome.

quickwhips

People quitting a damn 5 minute match leaving me 1 vs 3 is bullshit. I lost but I'm not a quitter. I've been down 3 goals and came back to win people leave after one goat that they knock in! I'm not mad at them just stay and we can fix it maybe.

Why do I lose rank when I stayed and I scored a goal if my other teammates quit? It really hurts. :(

aro52

I hate when you play 3v3 and no one defends. I'm forced to play as rush keeper most of the time.

Playing with randoms online, I find myself doing the same. Even in 2v2, I sit back at midfield most the time.

This is why I like playing with a couple of my IRL buddies. We have a nice, unspoken rotation at this point, where no one is stuck in goal for too long.

plc268

People quitting a damn 5 minute match leaving me 1 vs 3 is bullshit. I lost but I'm not a quitter. I've been down 3 goals and came back to win people leave after one goat that they knock in! I'm not mad at them just stay and we can fix it maybe.

Why do I lose rank when I stayed and I scored a goal if my other teammates quit? It really hurts. :(

I've been on the other side of a 3v1 game, where my team just kept scoring on the dude. Dude didn't quit (surprisingly), but the team dragged the game over like 15 minutes.

rafaelr

Standard online mode is just so much more fun to me for a number of reasons.
  • When the match is over you can start up again right away and keep playing with the same people. I know it's not the biggest deal, but not having to connect and go back to the main menu after each match is kinda a drag.
  • Rematches and playing with the same people for multiple games is so much more fun. I played like 15 matches last night with the same guy and we had so much fun together. I sent him a friend request when the night was done. I've never done that to a random I've played with in any game ever.

oh yes! getting matched with a group of ppl who are about your skill level, then playing a match that ends up being very close or going overtime, and then at the end of game screen you can see the little checkmarks going up almost immediately.
and boom, an hour or so later you realize you´ve just played about 15 great, thrilling matches with & against the same ppl and time just flew by.

when this happens, rocket league is about the greatest multiplayer game ever!

quickwhips

I've been on the other side of a 3v1 game, where my team just kept scoring on the dude. Dude didn't quit (surprisingly), but the team dragged the game over like 15 minutes.

Games can only be 5 minutes unless its a tie in overtime. I don't understand.

Huggers

Game crashed on me. Now every time I try to launch it I get error code CE-34878-0. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Glad you're recognizing and enjoying the mode that suits you. Unranked is dramatically more populated than ranked, but the people that like ranked *really* like ranked.

We're talking about ways we could add more rewards so people who prefer Unranked can still unlock cool stuff. I'm glad we have Ranked, but I don't want it to end up feeling like Unranked is just a feeder system for it. The first game survived many years largely on unranked lobbies and fun, casual play and we haven't lost sight of that.

The other stuff likely coming for Unranked would be "fun" things like alternately shaped maps, or mutators when we get around to them (though those would have to be a separate playlist).

I'm not sure if I'd personally care about mutators like giant ball or cube ball. I hope there are more interesting things like different sized goals, different roof levels (I'd love a roof as low as possible, where the ball doesn't bounce so it plays like air hockey)

I think nonstandard maps can be enough to be super fun, provided you guys have some great designs to spice things up without feeling gimmicky.

I'd rather have different map shapes and things like lower roof, different goals (size, height, map shapes like in original Utopia that allowed you to wrap around).

Chaos mode sounds like it would benefit from differently shaped maps the most, since it's the least competitive mode, and more like a party mode.

So why do people talk shit with 40 points no shots no assists no saves.....

As someone who frequently takes up the midfielder/defender role, I rarely get any points for what I do even if I'm instrumental in winning. About the only points I reliably get in that role are ball centers and assists, and the assist rules are so wonky I frequently don't get assist points even for what is (to me) a clear assist.

Points are heavily skewed towards the goalies and the scorers. That's typical of the genre though...but please don't fall into the trap of thinking the points actually are the team worth. Go observe a game with rookies and frequently the worst players on a losing team get the most points because they stick to the ball like glue and get random clears and centers and shots on goal points for things which have no shot to go in, but earn them points.

Having said all of that, talking trash is stupid regardless of role or where your points are, so I agree with the first part of the question.

So the one guy was able to score on 3 of you can keep the game going? The original post makes it seem like they were crushing him not a tie.

They were crushing him. Try playing a game against bots on easy and see how long the game takes to complete.

The OP was saying his team of 3 scored so often on the 1 guy that the game took forever

plc268

They were crushing him. Try playing a game against bots on easy and see how long the game takes to complete.

The OP was saying his team of 3 scored so often on the 1 guy that the game took forever

Yea, this. I think my team scored something like 22 goals on the guy.

I spent the time racking up the miles for that one achievement, so it was really more like 2v1.

Bollocks

Glad you're recognizing and enjoying the mode that suits you. Unranked is dramatically more populated than ranked, but the people that like ranked *really* like ranked.

We're talking about ways we could add more rewards so people who prefer Unranked can still unlock cool stuff. I'm glad we have Ranked, but I don't want it to end up feeling like Unranked is just a feeder system for it. The first game survived many years largely on unranked lobbies and fun, casual play and we haven't lost sight of that.

The other stuff likely coming for Unranked would be "fun" things like alternately shaped maps, or mutators when we get around to them (though those would have to be a separate playlist).
Can we get some metrics on the ranked stuff?
I play it almost exclusively and more than not I fuck up so I think my score is lower than it should be.
What's the score distribution for ranked 2v2 like?

see5harp

As someone who frequently takes up the midfielder/defender role, I rarely get any points for what I do even if I'm instrumental in winning. About the only points I reliably get in that role are ball centers and assists, and the assist rules are so wonky I frequently don't get assist points even for what is (to me) a clear assist.

Points are heavily skewed towards the goalies and the scorers. That's typical of the genre though...but please don't fall into the trap of thinking the points actually are the team worth. Go observe a game with rookies and frequently the worst players on a losing team get the most points because they stick to the ball like glue and get random clears and centers and shots on goal points for things which have no shot to go in, but earn them points.

Having said all of that, talking trash is stupid regardless of role or where your points are, so I agree with the first part of the question.

Assists, centers, and clears definitely need to count for more points. I don't care how aggressive and decent you are at scoring clean up goals, the guys that defend and really keep the ball on the other side of the half seem to be incredibly important to winning games.

GeeTeeCee

I really don't get it. My ping is pretty good (certainly better than most of the players I've seen), I'm playing in the correct region, and I can be driving in a straight line not touching the analogue stick... and I still get magically teleported all over the pitch because the server gods hate me.

Too many times a match has lagged briefly and I'm suddenly out of position, or I'm chasing a ball that isn't actually in the place it looks like it is.

Edit: OK, I'm on the US server and generally having a much better time. Still lags, but nowhere near as badly.

Hasney

I really don't get it. My ping is pretty good (certainly better than most of the players I've seen), I'm playing in the correct region, and I can be driving in a straight line not touching the analogue stick... and I still get magically teleported all over the pitch because the server gods hate me.

Too many times a match has lagged briefly and I'm suddenly out of position, or I'm chasing a ball that isn't actually in the place it looks like it is.

That's Europe after 5pm. Play on diffrent servers.

It happens to everyone in the match at least.

xJavonta

Banned
Had the best session I've had yet with a friend yesterday night. The game is so much more fun when you have competent teammates that aren't randoms

quickwhips

Ok so they wouldn't skip through the cut scenes. Understood. Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused lol.

I'm having a few issues :/

I've tried starting the game, but what happens is the game crashes; all I see is the developer logo Pysonix and it boots me out of the application and an error code, CE-34878-0, comes up.

Since I'm a junior, I can't really make a thread about it, but it seems it isn't just affecting me.

If someone could make a thread about it, or suggest something to fix it, that would be very appreciated!

LAM09

Playing with randoms online, I find myself doing the same. Even in 2v2, I sit back at midfield most the time.

This is why I like playing with a couple of my IRL buddies. We have a nice, unspoken rotation at this point, where no one is stuck in goal for too long.

Same. It's so much more enjoyable when you play with friends. A common understanding.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I am a lvl 19 semi pro and I honestly feel ranked matches have worse players than unranked. My two teammates last game combined for zero points.

I honestly have no idea how a lot of players end up directly under the ball 90% of the time and it just slowly ricochets off them. They never build up any speed to actually move the ball forward.

The best controller breaking moments is when you hit it around the last defender, drive around him and ready to make your last touch but a teammate rams you in the back or side.

also I have no idea how to type text. i click R2 for "done" but nothing shows up.

Is there any write up about the ranking system?? I know it has lag and sometimes it calculates matches together later... what I mean is, does it only calculate based on win vrs loses or how? sometimes I win one match and I go up 60 points and then lose 5 matches in a row and only go down like 10 points... and yes this is me waiting for the number to update, after every ranked match I play practice mode until the Ranking number updates.

Was it because even though I lost I contributed enough on those matches?? or because my opponents had more ranking points???

NH Apache

Banned

Edit: OK, I'm on the US server and generally having a much better time. Still lags, but nowhere near as badly.

That's Europe after 5pm. Play on diffrent servers.

It happens to everyone in the match at least.

I have had maybe one game where I did not see the network indicator. I have switched up my whole network setup at the house, monitored packet loss with Wireshark (6 TCP packets dropped in 10 minutes), have 50 Mb connection with less than 50 ms ping to server and it still happens to me at least once per match. I get shifted about 50 yards from my previous position which is a real fucking bitch if your playing goal. Additionally, it makes me looks like a moron.

It is so frustrating and I wish there was a known way to reduce it.

Hasney

I have had maybe one game where I did not see the network indicator. I have switched up my whole network setup at the house, monitored packet loss with Wireshark (6 TCP packets dropped in 10 minutes), have 50 Mb connection with less than 50 ms ping to server and it still happens to me at least once per match. I get shifted about 50 yards from my previous position which is a real fucking bitch if your playing goal. Additionally, it makes me looks like a moron.

It is so frustrating and I wish there was a known way to reduce it.

Its on the server, not you. Change region.

It will also affect everyone else in the match at the same time.

Kronovi must have been playing since he was like 10 years old.
BEpSWIP.png

With regards to the guy said he preferred unranked, don't worry about it. I played almost exclusively unranked on SARPBC and loved it :) when you get into *that* lobby, you just know :D

I started playing Rocket League this past weekend since I kept hearing good word of mouth from this game. What a hidden gem this game is. Haven't had this much unfiltered joy from just playing a game (a competitive multiplayer sports racer to be exact). I would have made myself a disservice by not playing this sooner.

So many last minute goals, epic saves, and even major mistakes (2 self goals in one match = ultimate disgrace). Enjoying every second of it.

Any DLC I will gladly gobble up if it adds worthy content.

JTripper

I have a feeling the developers are gonna surprise us this month and on any given weekday (probably a Tuesday) will just drop the DLC for us. I mean it can't be far off, it's not a big pack, plus they updated the game with that patch really quickly after it was announced.

I have a feeling the developers are gonna surprise us this month and on any given weekday (probably a Tuesday) will just drop the DLC for us. I mean it can't be far off, it's not a big pack, plus they updated the game with that patch really quickly after it was announced.

I'm guessing next week. The patch is in testing and they said they can't add a solo queue back with the DLC patch because it' s been submitted or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom