• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

It's fun watching someone complain about the quality of players they play with in a game that matches skill levels :)

Im not really complaining about player quality; I still lose quite a few games and manage to fuck up without problem

just saying it's never really consistent and it feels like some players skip a lot of what i'd consider kinda needed for that level, for a game that supposedly does that, yeah

ranked puts me with mostly rookies, probably because i've mostly played unranked, which seems to be better at matchmaking me with better players

maybe it's like BShadowJ says and that's what im doing wrong. I'll switch it up

LordofPwn

I dont understand how there's people with Pro ranks that cant do shit in the air

I mean I get not even knowing about proper air boosts and all when you start playing the game

but being level 20plus and just waiting for all balls to drop or doing simple double jumps as your attempt to reach it just feels impossible

depends on the match. i dont want to attempt an aerial only to miss and put my team at a severe disadvantage in a close game. also if a double jump will work, i'll use it, saves boost.

I just thought of something. It would be cool if Psyonix used the different teams from the season in other game modes. Mostly because I think the unified colors and logos are really cool.

Whether that means just randomly assigning them or letting a party select one before a match, I don't know. I just thought it would be nice to use them (and maybe have different colors in online matches along the way).

Hasney

R3mwXYG.gif

Still not exactly sure how I kept that out.

I just thought of something. It would be cool if Psyonix used the different teams from the season in other game modes. Mostly because I think the unified colors and logos are really cool.

Whether that means just randomly assigning them or letting a party select one before a match, I don't know. I just thought it would be nice to use them (and maybe have different colors in online matches along the way).

Yep, been hoping for this too :)

Just a simple, random colour generator before a game starts would be great

farisr

I'm waiting to see my name show up in one of these videos as the honorary fool

I probably will be too one of these days.

One time at the beginning of the game I made an epic save and then almost scored with a great play but it didn't go in. On the rebound from that attempt, the ball was going really fast towards our net, I tried to stop the ball divert the direction but what others saw was basically this fool boosting and leading the ball all the way directly back to the net for an own goal. I was so embarrassed that it was the first time ever that I left a game on purpose (in any game). I shut off the console and didn't play the game for a couple of days. LOL.

h6uPzGC.png

That's one drill. I can almost assure you the tutorial will be about the same rate of completion, and the advanced one probably less. The game actually does teach you to fly, but the vast majority just don't care to do tutorials anymore. (Granted I know the tutorial isn't that easily found, but still...). So yeah, until you get to a high rating be prepared to deal with that. (And even then, if the matchmaking goes too wide... lol)

It's weird to go off achievement percentages. On PS4 the trophy for scoring your first goal is at 89.5%. If you took it at face value you would assume that 10% of active players are unable to score. Obviously that isn't the case.

Also that isn't for the tutorial. That achievement is for the drills.

v1lla21

Well, there was a honeymoon period there with the patch, but they 100% need to have a scaling penalty for repeat quitters.
Yup. To me it would've been better that way. Let's say your first quit is 15 minuses, second is 20 minutes, 3rd is 25 minutes, and so on. If they keep quitting than taking away xp would be cool along with a 30 minute ban

Good games Alpha. That last loss was ridiculous but I wasn't really paying attention to the game :p

v1lla21

Lol. Shit happens all the time now.

I had a guy in my team talking mad shit saying I sucked dick. I ended up tying a 3-1 game and scoring in overtime.

Everyone stayed and in the next game he got put in the opposite team. I demolished him 4 times and scored two goals in the first two minutes. He got so pissed he called me a fag and quit. lol.

Yup. To me it would've been better that way. Let's say your first quit is 15 minuses, second is 20 minutes, 3rd is 25 minutes, and so on. If they keep quitting than taking away xp would be cool along with a 30 minute ban

Good games Alpha. That last loss was ridiculous but I wasn't really paying attention to the game :p

Man I played horribly that last game but wasnt totally paying attention either lol.

I swear I'm a lot better ;_;

Well, there was a honeymoon period there with the patch, but they 100% need to have a scaling penalty for repeat quitters.

Actually, I feel like quitting happens a lot less in ranked. When there is a big lead (4+), I expect most teams to quit. That doesn't happen the last 3 games I've played with such a lead.

Wouldn't mind scaling penalties though. I am sure they will improve upon it.

Repeat offenders should get bigger bans, as 15 minutes may not mean much. I'm talking bans for hours/days.

Also, some people play in a party, quit, then get their friend to host... I hope that workaround is squashed. If you quit your game, you shouldn't be able to party up, or maybe the game can timeout your party too, since teammates may just take a meaningless ban for a teammate and switch around like that.

v1lla21

Man I played horribly that last game but wasnt totally paying attention either lol.

I swear I'm a lot better ;_;
We started off good though! We had a couple of comeback wins that were great.

Bro I feel so bad. When the game first came out you'd send me invites but I would never accept them. I always thought you were someone else who was annoying as hell. He also had alpha in his name but I deleted him already.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
definitely did not realized if a ranked game is beyond laggy and unplayable for 5 minutes straight that if you leave you get a 15 minute ban.

ohNOitsRO

You know I really don't mind playing with people that aren't that great, but this constant pairing of two dudes that act like they've never played a fucking game before in 3v3 is pretttyyyy frustrating in the 700+ ranking.. Like... How? How did you get that far?

We started off good though! We had a couple of comeback wins that were great.

Bro I feel so bad. When the game first came out you'd send me invites but I would never accept them. I always thought you were someone else who was annoying as hell. He also had alpha in his name but I deleted him already.

Lol!

Np man

v1lla21

I quit because the lag was so extreme that the ball would just sit in the goal and not register.

Edit: I do like the idea of punishing the quitters though, is that new?
Yeah I've wanted to quit during laggy games but I've not done it. Yup, it's new.

I hope they add a friendly forfeit option where no one loses anything due to laggy servers

People are afraid to go for it and fuck up, that's why I applaud anyone trying to go for them. There's so much to the (air) game to learn that I appreciate anyone going for it.

That said, I've noticed plenty of people going in the air nowadays.

I see plenty of people going in the air.

I also see far more misses than hits. I hit maybe 20% personally. I do fine in the Aerial practice but in a real game? Forget-about-it. And lag is way magnified when you are in the air.

The worst thing is if you go way up and miss, you are out of commission for way too long unless you happen to be right next to the wall or enough boost to boost back down. And if you don't manage to come down right-side-up? It's almost comical.

thing is I don't mean Air Game in like a "going way for it super above"

I basically just mean that whenever there's a ball in the air I can always go above everyone else's head by doing a little boost

no one even tries, they just wait

there's no real big margin of error. Ball won't go off path and the stakes arent high cause you're barely a bit above the double jump distance

I dont mean showin off with a crazy flip 10 ft high. I just mean hitting the ball in the air and having that advantage

Oh, ok. I totally agree with that. I didn't think that's what you meant because you don't get Aerial hits at those heights so I don't tend to think of that as air game.

Roussow

Counter Strike: Global Offensive is pretty harsh with it's bans -- but it's an effective ban.
The first ban (for abandoning and not rejoining a competitive game within 3 minutes) is a 30 minute cooldown, for a consecutive abandonment within a few days of the last ban it's a 2 hour cooldown, then a 24 hour cooldown, and finally a 7 day competitive cooldown.

newsguy

It's crazy to see skill progress in this game. I went from no idea in the beta, to below average by launch, to above average now. I can consistently hit aerials now and I can maneuver with flips in the air if I need to. Watching a replay of a crazy goal I made still blows my mind.

AcridMeat

Banned
I see plenty of people going in the air.

I also see far more misses than hits. I hit maybe 20% personally. I do fine in the Aerial practice but in a real game? Forget-about-it. And lag is way magnified when you are in the air.

The worst thing is if you go way up and miss, you are out of commission for way too long unless you happen to be right next to the wall or enough boost to boost back down. And if you don't manage to come down right-side-up? It's almost comical.
The entire thing IS comical, that's why I love it.

I knew what you were saying Salsa I just wasn't in the thread to respond. That's just something you have a sense for, most people don't inherently think about it. It's why I rose above my friend's skill level relatively quickly because I was using my boost just enough to win balls as you said.

I think if you played football as a kid this game is pretty natural. In terms of flow/tactics/positioning. I love hockey, football and racing games so that's a big reason why I picked it up easily. Easily GOTY I don't care what else comes out.

...except Galak-Z that damn game needs to come out on PC already.

Yep, lag is the worst I've seen (US servers). Played with BigBeauford (valbrandon) in doubles and we managed to win one of two while teleporting around. I'm still surprised we could even hit the ball.

Protip in laggy games: slow down. Heck, that's good for lag free games too. Also, I noticed when I dodge boosted, I didn't seem to rubber band as much. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom